Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Lichtenstein posted:

Holy poo poo, Pathfinder.
Daisy just went from The Best to No, Seriously, The Best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wellp, Roland is going to take up the pipe.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
drat shame it's in Seeker as it would be a massive help to Jenny when she pulls her weakness.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

Daisy just went from The Best to No, Seriously, The Best

Every person who has played Daisy in our 4-player games gets interminably bored. She may as well be a bit for how her turns go.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
We just played The House Always Wins last night, and the new guy picked Daisy...
He had a boring first game.

I wish i would have known that was going to happrn going into it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I don't find Daisy boring at all, but usually soloing 2-handed so I have poo poo to do other than spam books and snuffle up clues

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Isn't House the one scenario that cares the least about Intelligence and Investigating? If anything, it's Wendy's chaos token shenanigans that could break the first act.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

my flgs apparently does not give a poo poo about street dates, god bless their souls. Pathfinder and I've Got A Plan are definitely upping Daisy's fun factor. Rex still sucks poo poo tho

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Rex really does suck poo poo. Has anyone found a reason to play him beyond drinking a ton and being "that guy" during game night?

I am putting a Zoe deck together tonight, because killing bad guys is awesome.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
My favorite is still Skids. A little luck with card draw/token draw means you'r swimming in money and actions.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Emergency Aid is probably the best hp heal in the game just due to action efficiency. Only Daisy with Medical Text can compete, but that usually has a real high opportunity cost.

Plavski posted:

drat shame it's in Seeker as it would be a massive help to Jenny when she pulls her weakness.

Shouldn't she just use Elusive?

dexefiend posted:

Rex really does suck poo poo. Has anyone found a reason to play him beyond drinking a ton and being "that guy" during game night?

Rex is real popular in my group. Just go nuts on the Scavenging engine, use that to pitch cards to help others left and right, have the occasional big Mind over Matter turn (Rex pulled the clutch kill on the Experiment for instance), build up a big bank to throw dynamite around and generally be super helpful all the time.

If anyone it's the Mystics sometimes bringing people down as they can be so useless without their spells and due to the spell charges also seem more at the mercy of the chaos bag than others.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 15, 2017

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
Official FAQ/Errata is up: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/15/hints-of-a-terrible-truth/

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Continuing FFG's proud tradition of making rulings in social media than making the opposite ruling in FAQs. Ignore that it's a ruling I agree with. (weaknesses and player elimination)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Gotta say, while the Miskatonic Museum player cards are pretty cool, the scenario itself feels a little underwhelming.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Played Carnevale of Horrors for the first time last night, two-fisted with Zoey and Rex, and it's quickly become my favorite scenario so far. It's really intense and exceptionally thematic. Looking forward to trying it again and not getting pummelled into the ground!

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Played Carnevale of Horrors for the first time last night, two-fisted with Zoey and Rex, and it's quickly become my favorite scenario so far. It's really intense and exceptionally thematic. Looking forward to trying it again and not getting pummelled into the ground!

It seemed to me to be incredibly combat-driven, with so many enemies that kept cropping up, and racing ahead of them didn't exactly help. We lost after rescuing everyone and spawning Cnidathqua, because we just couldn't deal at all with the Baleful Reveler chasing us down. It didn't help that the docks were one step counterclockwise from the Basilica, the furthest possible distance away.

Good scenario though and I really enjoyed the unique ideas they threw in.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Gotta say, while the Miskatonic Museum player cards are pretty cool, the scenario itself feels a little underwhelming.

We put 14 shells into Roland's shotgun and 22 bullets into Jenny's Twin 45s because that scenario has crazy downtime.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

bobvonunheil posted:

It seemed to me to be incredibly combat-driven, with so many enemies that kept cropping up, and racing ahead of them didn't exactly help. We lost after rescuing everyone and spawning Cnidathqua, because we just couldn't deal at all with the Baleful Reveler chasing us down. It didn't help that the docks were one step counterclockwise from the Basilica, the furthest possible distance away.

Good scenario though and I really enjoyed the unique ideas they threw in.

You really have to keep at least two characters together for this one, I think. I tried it again and got Resolution 2 just barely. Both Zoey and Rex had 1 health 3 sanity left each, and this time around I chose to take 2 horror every time Lost In Venice came up just so I could keep the investigators together.

Having Pathfinder on Rex, 2x Shortcut on Zoey, and a location arrangement with Streets of Venice (free move) >> Basilica (free move with Abbess) >> Canal-Side made movement a hell of a lot easier, too, which made it easier to get away from the Baleful Reveler after evading him once.

Coolest moment of that game was having to move Rex one location ahead of Zoey so she could Dynamite Blast two enemies and herself so that she could safely rescue the final Innocent Reveler.

Sorry for all the spoiler blocks. It's just a really neat and challenging scenario!

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 19, 2017

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
When starting a new campaign, can you keep your investigator decks from the previous campaign? We're starting Dunwich today after finishing Night of the Zealot and I'm wondering if we're required to start our decks over at level 0 or if we should keep our upgraded decks, trauma and all. The Campaign rules don't specify, but I can't imagine why they'd bother with giving us all 2 horror at the end of the last scenario if we're supposed to start over again.

If our decks do persist, what should I do with Lita Chandler? I assume that card stays in my investigators deck and can't be traded, and if I end up so traumatized I have to pick a new investigator then it would go away permanently. But again, the Rules Reference doesn't say.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Miskatonic University scenario: If I'm reading Jazz right, whoever controls him can open all the doors, and they stay open for any other investigator afterwards, right?

EDIT: Better safe than sorry. Spoilered

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
That's how we played it with Jazz, yes.

Regarding continuing a campaign - the rules as written do seem intended to allow you to carry investigators over from one campaign to the next, so you're certainly free to do this (and yes you would keep the card you mentioned). However, the Dunwich campaign seems designed for investigators starting with 0 xp, so you'd likely find it much easier if you started with your experienced investigators. At the same time you also wouldn't get access to any of the level 0 Dunwich cards unless you spent xp to buy them between scenarios.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

Kerro posted:

the Dunwich campaign seems designed for investigators starting with 0 xp, so you'd likely find it much easier if you started with your experienced investigators.

We had 2 new players starting out at level 0, and our two veteran investigators are both pretty traumatized so it kind of balanced out.

Another question--can any investigator complete Search for Izzie when it's attached to a location or only Jenny?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Obama 2012 posted:

Another question--can any investigator complete Search for Izzie when it's attached to a location or only Jenny?

Weird. So I looked up Smite the Wicked to see the exact wording and it specifies Zoey Samaras as the one who will suffer the trauma since anyone can end up killing the enemy to which the weakness is attached.

Searching for Izzie only ever references "you," specifically in the last part about suffering trauma (which is different from how Smite the Wicked is written) which suggests to me that only Jenny can satisfy the conditions. It's from her deck so "you" should be referencing Jenny and/or the player controlling her.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
There's a reason this game is stingy with XP past the Night of the Zealot, 'cause there's some bonkers stuff incoming.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Single Tight Female posted:

We put 14 shells into Roland's shotgun and 22 bullets into Jenny's Twin 45s because that scenario has crazy downtime.

I suppose it's a good scenario to Identify The Solution.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Searching for Izzie only ever references "you," specifically in the last part about suffering trauma (which is different from how Smite the Wicked is written)

The FAQ changes the second part's wording to say Jenny specifically.

FFG Arkham Horror FAQ posted:

(1.0) Searching for Izzie (TDL 11)
is card’s Forced ability should read: “When the game ends, if Searching for Izzie is in play: Jenny Barnes suffers 1 mental trauma."

The first half of the card text still seems a little vague to me, but I'm ruling that any investigator can look for Izzie if they're in the location.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Obama 2012 posted:

The first half of the card text still seems a little vague to me, but I'm ruling that any investigator can look for Izzie if they're in the location.

Yup

quote:

Any investigator at Jenny’s location may use the action ability on Searching for Izzie.

"An investigator is permitted to activate abilities from the following sources: - A scenario card that is in play and at the same location as the investigator. This includes the location itself, encounter cards placed at that location, and all encounter cards in the threat area of any investigator at that location.”

Searching for Izzie is a treachery weakness. Just like any other treachery card attached to a location, any investigator at that location may activate its action ability. (If another investigator helps you search for Isabelle and succeeds, they are a good friend and you should thank them profusely.)

As for the mental trauma, the card should read: “When the game ends, if Searching for Izzie is in play: Jenny Barnes suffers 1 mental trauma.” This will be fixed in a later printing and added to the first edition of the official FAQ. (Smite the Wicked will also need a similar errata).

So, to clarify: “You” in a revelation effect always refers to the person drawing the card and resolving its revelation. Any investigator may activate action abilities on encounter cards at their location. “You” in that case is the person resolving that action ability. The third “you” on Searching for Izzie is an error and should be replaced with “Jenny Barnes” because it is otherwise unclear who “you” are.

My apologies. Hope this clears things up!

Matthew Newman

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I hadn't realized it had been errata'd, thanks! Now it reads exactly like Smite the Wicked so yeah, even without the official word on it, that would have been my interpretation, too.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Does FFG offer replacement cards when they update the text on them like that?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

No, they update them for the next reprint only. They've been known to screw up reprints too :)

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
Chaos Cards has Carnevale back in stock, if any UK guys still need it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Got our asses kicked so quickly in Carnevale that neither of the end conditions were fulfilled. Does the Grim Rule kick in here?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
There's a proper resolution for when all of your investigators are eliminated. It's the first one I got, too. Should be the first one on the DO NOT READ (until you've finished the scenario) cards at the end of the pack of cards.

The one where you all wake up, groggy, to a scene of carnage and a disappointed Abbess, but you're still alive.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I got my Rougarou, Carnevale and Museum packs in the mail today. Looking forward to getting my rear end kicked just like everyone else this weekend. Kinda sucks that by the spoilers we've got of later Dunwich cards, they'll be really heavily XP focused so won't be viable for standalone side-scenarios. I guess this means our cardpool for them will more or less plateau until the next big box.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Plavski posted:

I got my Rougarou, Carnevale and Museum packs in the mail today. Looking forward to getting my rear end kicked just like everyone else this weekend. Kinda sucks that by the spoilers we've got of later Dunwich cards, they'll be really heavily XP focused so won't be viable for standalone side-scenarios. I guess this means our cardpool for them will more or less plateau until the next big box.

Personally, I like that there are strong upgrade options for long-running campaigns, as it gives the decks a good sense of progression. Plus, you can just include higher XP cards; it's just that each 10 XP spent requires you to include an extra basic weakness (which is probably a better rate than what you'd get in a campaign anyway)

I think there's also a strong possibility that with enough cards in the mix, fan scenarios can be created. Did this ever happen with LotR?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

I think there's also a strong possibility that with enough cards in the mix, fan scenarios can be created. Did this ever happen with LotR?

Yeah for sure. With printerstudio files and everything. The First Age was the one I was familiar with.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/27/where-doom-awaits/

I've Had Worse is amazing.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 28, 2017

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Better than Dodge except if you're trying to save a friend.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Essex county express release date is march 16th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Better than Dodge except if you're trying to save a friend.

I would hope so, given the XP cost.

Any word yet on when a restock of the Miskatonic Museum is expected? Makes sequential play a little difficult if chapter 4 is missing.