Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Probably not news to anyone, but I've discovered Cheapass Ashcan Pete and is amazing.

I think my only cards that cost 2+ are a couple of rugby players and Scavengers to feed Duke. I never lack card draw with Rabbit's Foot and Scavenge, so Ashcan is basically a 4 Combat, 4 Brain +1 damage character that occasionally moves for free and never has to click for money. Grab an Axe for more punch if you don't want to refresh Duke and to dump extra money in, and skill cards and Ward of Protection can deal with everything else the game can throw at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
New preview up for Essex Express: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/3/7/fast-track-to-nowhere/

!

!!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
God those Permanent upgrades are so epic.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
And I still can't even get Dunwich Legacy for a decent price. Oh well.

Edit: Found it on a british site called chaoscards.co.uk immediately after posting. Got it for a little under 40 American including shipping. Not bad at all compared to what the scalpers on amazon wanted.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 8, 2017

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I kinda wish they'd quit adding so many cards that cost XP. I do like the xp system, but I'd still rather have more base options for deckbuilding vs. always needing to spend xp for the better cards. Alternately some other system to get cards temporarily in your deck would be nice. I'm just thinking about the Arkham board game where sometimes you would just randomly get lucky and get something very powerful early.

All that said,m the game's still great fun and I'm enjoying getting my rear end kicked (although most recently we ran kinda roughshod over the carnival). I really dig a lot of the mechanics for how the missions progress, it's impressive how well they're designed.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
OCTGN now has an Arkham Horror module.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Elenkis posted:

OCTGN now has an Arkham Horror module.

That's not do it yourself?

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Chaotic Flame posted:

That's not do it yourself?

Yeah, you download and install it from the Games Manager within OCTGN.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 11, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

It's kinda funny how much of a difficulty spike there is between the campaign scenarios and the side-scenarios. I just flew through Core and Dunwich (inc. MM) solo, but get totally wrecked through New Orleans and Venice every time. With the way scaling works, those side-scenarios really seem like they want at least two players. Even then, the difficulty looks sharp as all hell. One of my runs through Venice was totally destroyed by bad chaos pull after bad chaos pull, but while in other scenarios you can recover, you're on a knife-edge most of the way here and if you get behind, those hunters will destroy you.

I really like the challenge of those sides and think that with a larger card pool they'll stay fresh as new strategies are developed.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
We've found Rougaroux to be pretty easy with 3 or 4, though due to the amount of moving involved if you're alone I can imagine it'd be a real pain unless you've got a double Pathfinder out or at least one copy of Elusive to use. Alternatively cards that do large damage bursts like Dynamite Blast, Flare, Sneak Attack and I've got a plan! seem like they'd be real MVPs in this scenario on solo.

Carnevale of Horrors on the other hand has been a real problem for us with 3 so far. You just have so much more chances to draw into enemies which stack up on future locations or the cards that force the player who drew them + everyone with an innocent to make checks. Both of those issues can quickly overwhelm and feel like they might be easier solo?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Solo on Carnevale is just as much of a nightmare. You either have the mobility to get around as needed, or the ability to deal with the tough enemies that spawn, but generally not both.

It's a really, really difficult scenario and is probably my favorite one so far.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I was playing Carn and Rou with Jim which was probably a mistake. People rave about his consistency, but he can take so long to get set up that everything has spiraled already in those side-stories.

I've been having great success with Ashcan in my main playthroughs, primarily because of the ridiculous movement increases Duke gives. I will have to give him a spin through those sides as I think he's one of the few that can keep up with the pace solo.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I'm about to fire off a new/my first campaign of Arkham - partnering with Agnes. I was looking at the following Ashcan Pete list:

Asset (13)

Hand
2x Fire Axe
1x Knife
2x Magnifying Glass
Accessory
2x Rabbit's Foot
Body
2x Leather Coat
Ally
2x Peter Sylvestre
Other
2x Scavenging

Event (7)

2x "Look what I found!"
2x Lucky!
2x Ward of Protection
1x Working a Hunch

Skill (10)

2x Guts
2x Manual Dexterity
2x Overpower
2x Perception
2x Unexpected Courage

Any feedback? Objective is obviously a fast to get going deck built around the Duke / Scavenging / Cheap Items combo.
My broad upgrade plan is Lucky x2, Pete Sylvestre x2 then not sure (maybe grab a bulletproof vest)

Specific things I'd like feedback on:

I'm not sure we have enough firepower to get past any combats. Agnes is taking Shriveling etc but I'm not sure that's enough.
I'm not sure that I'm in love with Working a Hunch.
Is this the right mix of skills.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 15, 2017

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Plavski posted:

I was playing Carn and Rou with Jim which was probably a mistake. People rave about his consistency, but he can take so long to get set up that everything has spiraled already in those side-stories.

I've been having great success with Ashcan in my main playthroughs, primarily because of the ridiculous movement increases Duke gives. I will have to give him a spin through those sides as I think he's one of the few that can keep up with the pace solo.

I'm pretty sure Ashcan Pete's either the best or second-best for solo play (him and Skids). I agree about Jim taking a lot of setup time. I'm also not the biggest fan of his stat spread-you're too reliant on getting gear to be able to do a lot of things.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Why Skids over Roland? Roland can fight and investigate well, which are the two core tasks you must be able to do well to be succesful solo.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Extra actions and Leo di Luca.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

His stat distribution is so ehhhh though. Do I really want 4 agility on a guy with 3 combat and access to blue cards? The answer is no, I really don't. And the 2 willpower is hard to shore up and can really hurt.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Two willpower is so painful against treacheries. You can just end up permanently frozen in place and fall way behind.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Orange Devil posted:

Why Skids over Roland? Roland can fight and investigate well, which are the two core tasks you must be able to do well to be succesful solo.

Roland sounds like a perfect solo choice, but he's really more of a teamplayer. Consider:
- With his puny evasion and willpower, the second he gets pinned by something he cannot dispose of by the end of the turn, he's hosed.
- He's not that good at investigating to consistently deal with high-shroud locations without relying on his ability...
- ... which is more luck based the less players there are. With more buddies drawing more cards, there's always a monster to kill somewhere. If you're soloing you might get stuck on a high shroud location drawing treachery after treachery.

Skids is indeed pretty nice at solo, I ripped through core campaign on a single core with him. Though his willpower is trouble indeed.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Police badge helps, but yeah, he can get hit pretty bad with willpower tests.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Skids is actually better at combat than Roland imo. Roland gets bonus str obviously, but Skids gets bonus actions and his Agi makes sure he has a good chance at getting away form junk he can't beat. It's great for the times when you don't have a weapon just yet (or are out of ammo, or fighting multiple dudes as a machete wielder, etc). And as for willpower, I find that typically to be the least useful stat just because there's no base action that really relies upon it-agi can always evade, str always fights, int always investigates. Just make sure you have a couple skill boosts to mitigate some of the worst of the pulls and you're fine. Obviously willpower tests suck on him, but no more than agility tests suck on Roland

I actually never considered Roland as a dude to run solo. As was mentioned, he's great on teams (like most everyone is-I only think Rex and Agnes are kinda meh) but solo he's gonna have trouble doing much.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

Roland sounds like a perfect solo choice, but he's really more of a teamplayer. Consider:
- With his puny evasion and willpower, the second he gets pinned by something he cannot dispose of by the end of the turn, he's hosed.
- He's not that good at investigating to consistently deal with high-shroud locations without relying on his ability...
- ... which is more luck based the less players there are. With more buddies drawing more cards, there's always a monster to kill somewhere. If you're soloing you might get stuck on a high shroud location drawing treachery after treachery.

Skids is indeed pretty nice at solo, I ripped through core campaign on a single core with him. Though his willpower is trouble indeed.

What does his willpower matter for dealing with things he's pinned by (ie, enemies)? Also note Skids has worse willpower in any case.
And when you have a clear plan to deal with enemies (kill them dead, get clues for doing it) you really don't need agility. And again concretely, which exactly are the enemies Roland would prefer evading if only he had the agility anyway?

Between Magnifying Glass, Flashlight, Working a Hunch and his ability I haven't had high shroud problems to be honest.

And while Roland has more enemies to murder in multiplayer, I find that I'm killing more enemies in locations which (no longer) contain clues in multiplayer than in solo.

That said, Skids might be better solo than Skids is in multiplayer. In all my 3 and 4 player games at least, nobody has ever wanted to pick him, because when you're playing 3 or 4 you really want to bring a blue character and welp now you don't have those blue cards available for Skids unless you got multiple full playsets. I've also found that as player count increases, evading becomes more and more exclusively something you do to turn off Retaliate rather than as a way to deal with enemies. Anyone else had a different experience?

alansmithee posted:

I actually never considered Roland as a dude to run solo. As was mentioned, he's great on teams (like most everyone is-I only think Rex and Agnes are kinda meh) but solo he's gonna have trouble doing much.

Rex shines in teams because that's when locations have enough clues for him to really start hoovering them up. Take some items with good icons (such as Bulletproof Vest) to buff your teammates all day and then Scavenge them back as you're doing it... Also, Disc of Itzamna is much more likely to be useful when you have multiple people in the same location pulling cards off the encounter deck.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 15, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

What does his willpower matter for dealing with things he's pinned by (ie, enemies)? Also note Skids has worse willpower in any case.

Pretty sure Lichtenstein meant Horror. 5 is too low to risk taking any Horror hits. Skids can Evade a scary enemy, Roland has to kill it before the end of the round.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, I meant Horror.

As for evade - it's really situational, but there's plenty of situations where things happen at a wrong time, at a wrong place. Unexpected spawn can swarm you turning off machetes, catch you without ammo, or a weapon at all, deal the kind of damage you've already taken, etc. Evasion is as much about avoiding enemies, as tanking them - oftentimes just an unlucky skill check means you can't finish a beast in the same turn and there's so much poo poo you can take and still be able to tackle on the boss later on (who is also really nice to evade before end of each turn).

The evasion makes him a bit of a glass cannon.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Finally got the magical 6 cultist collection run. Ashcan is awesome.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Spoilers posted: https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comments/5zlh6u/spoiler_essex_county_express_investigator_cards/

Switchblade looks legit. Art Student and Deduction certainly interesting.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Spoilers posted: https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comments/5zlh6u/spoiler_essex_county_express_investigator_cards/

Switchblade looks legit. Art Student and Deduction certainly interesting.

Care to share in thread?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Care to share in thread?

quote:

Spoilers for the Essex County Express are trickling in. Find below a list of all of the cards that have not been officially spoiled by FFG (beyond Stand Together, Bandolier, I'm Outta Here!, Charisma, and Relic Hunter).

Reminder: "Bullshit Token" = Skull, Cultist, Tablet, Elder Thing, or Auto Fail token (basically all the nasty ones).

Seeker

Deduction

Type: Skill
Traits: Practiced. Expert
XP: 2
Icons: Intellect, Intellect
If the skill test is successful while investigating a location, discover 1 additional clue at that location (2 additional clues instead if succeed by 2 or more).

Art Student

Type: Asset
Traits: Ally. Miskatonic.
XP: 0
Cost: 2
Icons: Intellect
Slot: Ally
Reaction: When Art Student enters play: Discover 1 clue at your location.
Health: 1
Sanity: 2

Rogue

Switchblade

Trait: Item. Weapon. Melee. Illicit.
XP: 2
Cost: 1
Icons: Combat, Agility
Slot: Hand
Fast.
Action: Fight. You get +2 Combat for this attack. If you succeed by 2 or more, this attack deals +1 damage.

Mystic

Shriveling

Trait: Spell
XP: 3
Cost: 3
Icons: Willpower, Combat
Slot: Arcane
Uses: 4 charges
Action, Spend one charge: Fight. This attack uses Willpower instead of Combat. You get +2 Willpower and deal +1 damage for this attack. If a bullshit token is revealed during this attack, take 1 horror.

Hypnotic Gaze

Type: Event
Trait: Spell
Cost: 3
Icons: Combat, Agility
Fast. Play when an enemy attacks an investigator at your location.
Cancel that attack. Then, reveal a random token from the chaos bag. If it has a bullshit symbol (but actually not so bullshit in this case), deal the attacking enemy's damage to itself.

Survivor

Newspaper

Trait: Item
Icons: Intellect
Slot: Hand
You get +2 Intellect while investigating if you have no clues.

Lure
Type: Event
Trait: Trick
XP: 1
Icons: Agility, Agility
Attach to your location.
During the enemy phase, each enemy that moves does so along the shortest path toward the attached location, instead of to where it would normally move.
Forced: While attached, at the end of the round: Discard Lure.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Help, I need to break my crippling addiction to Ashcan Pete, I know other investigators are fun too.

It's not even that he's good, just that he's so convenient in that you can't really have a bad draw with him (other than weaknesses, obviously).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Got Essex County Express. Print runs in Spanish are so low that I'm forced to order on day one and pay postage :(

Someone is trying to sell dunwich on ebay for 100 euros, ffs.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

Help, I need to break my crippling addiction to Ashcan Pete, I know other investigators are fun too.

It's not even that he's good, just that he's so convenient in that you can't really have a bad draw with him (other than weaknesses, obviously).

Play a seeker with Pathfinder and Shortcut for a while. Then go back to Pete anyway cos you miss your dog buddy.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Fat Samurai posted:

Got Essex County Express. Print runs in Spanish are so low that I'm forced to order on day one and pay postage :(

The print run was pretty small in general. The store I work at got allocated 2 copies, meaning there wasn't enough to go around even at the distribution level.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

The print run was pretty small in general. The store I work at got allocated 2 copies, meaning there wasn't enough to go around even at the distribution level.

FFG have been having supply issues. Their factory is currently booked solid and demand is outpacing their production capabilities. They want to do another run in June, but things like Destiny are wildly popular too so everything is competing for space. Oh, and then there's the L5R print run coming out later this year that will have a bunch of hype and good press around it.

FFG have many plates spinning and one of the side-effects is reduced printing, which sucks. Your best bet is to either pre-order, or find an online retailer. I'm going to Amazon or chaoscards.co.uk to secure my packs, cos I can't rely on my FLGS to stock enough :(

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

So Essex County Express question:

One of the passenger cars lets you gain resources by stealing a passengers luggage. You're instructed to "remember" this, which means it might come up later in the scenario but not in future scenario's (in which case you'd be instructed to "record in the campaign log" or some such). So uhhh, which card exactly has text that cares about whether or not you stole a dudes stuff?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I haven't looked at the scenario yet, but maybe it's possible for it to come up in another train car that could also be part of the setup, but might be left off if it doesn't get randomly shuffled in? Or perhaps in the agenda, act, or resolutions.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I haven't looked at the scenario yet, but maybe it's possible for it to come up in another train car that could also be part of the setup, but might be left off if it doesn't get randomly shuffled in? Or perhaps in the agenda, act, or resolutions.

I read all the cards and the resolutions, twice. Might've still missed it which is why I'm asking.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Arkham Horror won best tabletop game at the SXSW Gaming Awards. That's nice for them.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Plavski posted:

Arkham Horror won best tabletop game at the SXSW Gaming Awards. That's nice for them.

Everytime I think SXSW can't self-fellate any harder I'm surprised. Gaming awards?

So glad I'm out of that scene now.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I was able to nab the last Essex express copy at cardhaus... But I'm still waiting on my Miskatonic museum to ship from the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
So, the next deluxe has been leaked. Check player cards here, if you'd like to see them: http://imgur.com/a/G7DPa

The new deluxe also contains 6 new investigators (one neutral). You can head over to https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/ to see them in the comments.

All new cards look mighty interesting, but I would've liked a new rogue weapon.