Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Alright, so the motherload of spoilers just hit the scene.

The story seemingly goes that on the way to the Polish translators, the whole next deluxe box got leaked. Investigators, player cards, encounters... the works!

Read the next spoilers absolutely at your own risk. No encounter spoilers in my links, so you're okay for that at least.

The is the expansion: http://i.imgur.com/86KjtfP.jpg

The King in Yellow. You're off to Carcosa for fun and frolics!

These are the six investigators:

Mark Harrigan, the Soldier. He is Guardian and can use level 0 tactic cards. Draws cards when a card you control take damage. He has 3 signature cards: a weakness, an event, and a picture of his wife Sophie that acts as both an asset and a weakness.

Minh Thi Phan, the Secretary. She is a Seeker who can use level 0-2 Survivor cards. Whenever an investigator at her location commits a card to a skill test, that card gains a wild icon, with a limit of 1 per investigator per round.

Sefina Rousseau, the Painter. She is a new investigator to the Arkham files. Rogue with level 0-2 Mystic cards. Her deck limit is 33 cards and has 3 copies of a signature event and 1 weakness. She doesn't get to mulligan but starts with an opening hand of 13 cards. She can place up to 5 events under her Investigator card, then discards down to 8. As an action that doesn't provoke AoO, she can draw any event under her card. Her event lets her play a copy of an event under her card.

Akachi Onyele, the Shaman. Mystic who can use cards with "charges" level 0-4, Occult cards level 0. Assets she plays enter play with an additional "charge" and her Elder Sign lets her give it another charge.

William Yorick, the Gravedigger. Survivor who can use level 0-2 Guardian cards. Once per round, when he defeats an enemy, he may play an asset (paying all costs) from his discard. His elder sign lets him return cards from discard to hand.

Lola Hayes, the Actress. Neutral. Deck size 35 cards, with 2 signature events, and 2 signature weaknesses. She has 3 in all stats and 6 health/sanity. She can use Neutral cards level 0-5, and cards from all classes level 0-3. She also has to use at least 7 cards each from 3 different classes. After drawing her opening hand, she chooses a 'role' (neutral or any of the classes). She can only play neutral cards, or of the class of her role. One per round she can change her role as a free action. She can also change it when she draws Elder Sign. Her event is fast, draws a card, changes your role, and reduces the cost of the next card you play of that class this phase by 3.

Guardian cards: http://i.imgur.com/GmRy8M6.png

Seeker cards: http://i.imgur.com/mzufiXZ.png

Mystic cards: http://i.imgur.com/kJPiuN9.png

Rogue cards: http://i.imgur.com/Cxlbdbz.png

Survivor cards: http://i.imgur.com/o3M77xD.png

More details are arriving...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Spoilered investigators 3,4 and 6 look very fun to play with regarding card manipulation.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lola Hayes owns.

Badgers Nadgers
Aug 7, 2006
Being a fan of Eldritch Horror, I'm interested in picking this up for playing solo and with my eldest son, but had a few questions as I've not dipped into LCGs before (MTG and V:TES back in the day is my main exposure to card games and deck building).

I've read a few early reviews when the core set came out mentioning that you really needed to pick up two base sets to give you a decent pool of cards to build a deck from. With all the expansions/mythos packs out now, is this still the case? Do you normally need to buy multiple copies of
mythos packs? I guess I'm still in the CCG frame of mind.

How does the game play with 3-4 players compared to 2 or solo?

Just reading people's comments about small print runs and availability issues has me wondering about the availability of the expansions, mythos and scenario packs. Are they normally reprinted regularly or am I going to have real issues picking up expansions if I don't keep up with the release schedule and/or pre-order? Dunwich Horror Legacy seems to be out of stock everywhere, but on FFG's site it looks a reprint is currently shipping. (This is probably a dumb question, but there you go).

I'm still a little concerned about replayability but perhaps it's been improved with the scenario packs and expansions.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
The game is playable with 1 core but yeah, there are still definitely cards in the core set that you'll want to double up on. It is much better with 2 cores.

You do not need to buy multiple copies of mythos packs (Museum, Essex) or the big box expansions (Dunwich) unless you want to run something stupid like a Roland/Rex/Daisy party (e.g., 3 Seekers) where there will be a lot of competition for the same cards. Dunwich and the Mythos packs each come with 2 copies of each player card.

The game plays well with 3, but 2 is the sweet spot in my personal opinion. It's also great solo; I primarily play it solo, but 2-handed; solo 1-handed was not fun for me. Character interactions make the game a lot more fun.

Demand was higher than expected but FFG is already reprinting Miskatonic and Dunwich, so you'll be able to get them soon. Preorder packs or set up a standing preorder with your FLGS or use the Team Covenant subscription and you should be fine.

Replayability has not been an issue for me. Each scenario has multiple endings, and if you avoid reading them in the campaign book until it's time that can increase replayability a bit. Also so far they've done a great job of making each investigator feel very different; my Zoey/Daisy campaign felt very different from my Roland/Rex campaign, and both of those are Guardan + Seeker campaigns.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Proxy cards of you have to. That's what we do, and we have a group of four playing with my two core collection.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Replayability has not been an issue for me. Each scenario has multiple endings, and if you avoid reading them in the campaign book until it's time that can increase replayability a bit. Also so far they've done a great job of making each investigator feel very different; my Zoey/Daisy campaign felt very different from my Roland/Rex campaign, and both of those are Guardan + Seeker campaigns.

To add on to this, the way the scenarios are laid out even if you know what could show up, you don't necessarily know if/when it will show up. That by itself makes each game different and along with the core gameplay being so good makes the game quite replayable.

Badgers Nadgers
Aug 7, 2006
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Think I'll pick up two core sets and see how we get on, then grab Dunwich when it comes back into stock.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Badgers Nadgers posted:

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Think I'll pick up two core sets and see how we get on, then grab Dunwich when it comes back into stock.

If you're impatient, Fantasy Flight's retail store in MN is my FLGS and they have copies of everything in stock right now. I've sent a couple of items out to other goons in the thread already. Send me a PM if you need anything.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Obama 2012 posted:

If you're impatient, Fantasy Flight's retail store in MN is my FLGS and they have copies of everything in stock right now. I've sent a couple of items out to other goons in the thread already. Send me a PM if you need anything.

Thanks Obama.

Badgers Nadgers
Aug 7, 2006

Obama 2012 posted:

Thanks Obama.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

CSI just restocked a bunch of AH stuff today, if people were looking.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Max posted:

Glad to finally grab a Miskatonic Museum!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/3/29/ahc-lost-in-time-and-space/

Firearms galore in this preview.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

I feel the typewriter is a flavor fail, should've been a scoped rifle. Spending ammo instead of actions would've fit the Tommy gun better.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Spending additional actions for the Tommy gun feels akin to struggling hard to hold it steady while you unload. I think it's pretty spot-on.

That said, seeing the words "Chicago Typewriter" before looking at the card and understanding the reference made me think it was a Seeker card and would be an actual typewriter. :v:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Spending additional actions just means holding down the trigger to keep spraying rather than using that time to do something else.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Quick rules question:

We had a crucial attack where the Investigator was successful but the chaos bag symbol caused him to run out of Health. I know that the timing rules says that the damage occurs when the symbol was drawn, would that have caused the attack to fizzle?

It ended up not making a difference, but we went ahead and ruled that the Investigator went out in a blaze of glory. Were we correct?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Based on the timing rules, the attack would have fizzled because revealing the chaos token causes its effect to be applied before you determine success or failure of the skill test.

It's less that the skill test fails and more that the skill test does not continue and ends prematurely.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

We figured as much, fortunately us cheating didn't change the outcome. We would have had one draw to avoid an auto-fail, but beyond that the Encounter Deck treated us really nicely and actually saved our lives. I was shocked.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Honestly, since this is such a story-heavy game and is like roleplaying-lite, letting your friend go out in a blaze of glory is the best way to play, even if it requires fudging the rules a bit. :)

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Max posted:

Welp, guess I missed the boat on Essex county and miskatonic museum, everywhere that restocked seems to be out again. There's a few scalpers selling at 2-3x msrp but that's it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Anyone have a link to some files for organization printouts or something? I'm too lazy to make my own, but if I have to, I will, probably this week.

More specifically, I want to be able to separate out and label the encounter sets since they shift around so much. It was easy to just keep the core box scenarios fully built since two cores gives you enough for that, but making headway into the Dunwich Legacy campaign, I'm realizing I need to swap sets around quite a bit.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Anyone have a link to some files for organization printouts or something? I'm too lazy to make my own, but if I have to, I will, probably this week.

More specifically, I want to be able to separate out and label the encounter sets since they shift around so much. It was easy to just keep the core box scenarios fully built since two cores gives you enough for that, but making headway into the Dunwich Legacy campaign, I'm realizing I need to swap sets around quite a bit.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205637/arkham-horror-card-game/files

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Thanks! I totally forgot that was a resource I could tap into.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Ashcan Pete is really living up to his title as a drifter in my solo campaign. I've brought him through the core and carried him over through Miskatonic Museum. He shows up to every scenario half-dead and nearly insane, watches his vagabond bench warmer buddy go insane, watches his dog get kicked around, then inevitably just says, "gently caress it, not my problem," resigns, and moves on, dragging his friend and dog away, having barely accomplished anything.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Ashcan Pete is really living up to his title as a drifter in my solo campaign. I've brought him through the core and carried him over through Miskatonic Museum. He shows up to every scenario half-dead and nearly insane, watches his vagabond bench warmer buddy go insane, watches his dog get kicked around, then inevitably just says, "gently caress it, not my problem," resigns, and moves on, dragging his friend and dog away, having barely accomplished anything.

This made me laugh way harder than it probably should have. Just an awesome image.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
He really needs a police badge so he can sullenly say he's too old for this poo poo and turn in his badge.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
All aboard the Essex County Express! Here we go again, turn 1, loyal, furry kickball and concussion-riddled dropout ready to go. What could possibly go wrong this time?

fake edit: Ashcan Pete, the drifter, the loving homeless box car boy, managed to walk all over this one like it was nothing. This train-hopping hobo knows his goddamned trains.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Orange Devil posted:

So Essex County Express question:

One of the passenger cars lets you gain resources by stealing a passengers luggage. You're instructed to "remember" this, which means it might come up later in the scenario but not in future scenario's (in which case you'd be instructed to "record in the campaign log" or some such). So uhhh, which card exactly has text that cares about whether or not you stole a dudes stuff?

Ok, now that I've played through​ the scenario, I'm wondering about this, too. I couldn't find anything to do with anywhere, unless they intended for you to record it, not remember it.

I didn't end up doing it, in any case. I was too afraid of the consequences before I realized that was what you had asked about previously. Maybe you're just meant to feel bad for doing it. :shrug:

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I feel like I'm playing Rex Murphy correctly.

edit: but I'm not. gently caress.

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 6, 2017

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Baron Snow posted:

I feel like I'm playing Rex Murphy correctly.

Double or Nothing is a Fortune card. :ssh:

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

drat. Picking up 8 clue tokens on one action was super satisfying too. I'll have fix it before the next adventure.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Baron Snow posted:

drat. Picking up 8 clue tokens on one action was super satisfying too. I'll have fix it before the next adventure.

Could have another investigator commit it to the test.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PJOmega posted:

Could have another investigator commit it to the test.

Good point. Rex can still have someone else commit Fortune cards to his skill checks, but he can't build a deck with any included.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I've now played the base set campaign all the way through twice (2 players with 2 core sets), and both times, we just got wrecked early in the third scenario. I'm 2/3 of the way through another try, but I just don't feel very confident we'll do well in the third scenario. It just seems like the first scenario is fairly easy. The second one is iffy, but since you can still advance with a partial win, it's not that bad. The third one is rough.

So, is this really how hard it is? Is Dunwich Legacy a bit smoother?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

medchem posted:

I've now played the base set campaign all the way through twice (2 players with 2 core sets), and both times, we just got wrecked early in the third scenario. I'm 2/3 of the way through another try, but I just don't feel very confident we'll do well in the third scenario. It just seems like the first scenario is fairly easy. The second one is iffy, but since you can still advance with a partial win, it's not that bad. The third one is rough.

I'd say it's smoother in that it doesn't have an equivalent to the first scenario. Really you have to treat that as a training/intro scenario-it's not a total walkover, but it's fairly simple. Depending on how 2 turns out, 3's difficulty will vary. Also party comp has a lot to do with it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have always thought that for Arkham products, on average you lose. You die and go insane in Arkham.

To me, when I play it really is more of the story.

That all being said, if you want to win -- play the hobo.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

medchem posted:

For the final act, I suggest that someone bring Dynamite. And then chuck it at the Main Path when all the cultists spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
For anyone who hasn't seen them yet, Blood on the Altar investigator cards:

(sorry for them being huge, I might re-upload them with smaller versions)

Some pretty bonkers stuff. Also :lol: at the flavor text on Defiance.