Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Or take mind blank out of the binder.

Edge of the Earth added and highlighted survivor cards that let you defeat, reshuffle or perma-tap monsters without sending them to the discard pile. It’s especially good for Silas, who doesn’t want to take sledgehammer because his signature assets take his hand slots.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014

Golden Bee posted:

You don’t lose the campaign if you lose that scenario, right?

We didn't lose the campaign on that one, just had one hell of a time.
The next scenario was the one that ended us. We didn't even make it to ascending path due to the worst luck imaginable.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There’s a lot of luck there. I’ve heard otherwise sterling campaigns end in that place.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Well, I gave The Night's Usurper one last try because while I was browsing decks on ArkhamDB I came across an investigator who seemed like they might have all the tricks I needed : Daniela Reyes! I went back to Gloria Goldberg for a partner but this time I wanted to try to take advantage of Scrying (3) and Scroll of Secrets (3) being able to scry player decks so I put Foresight back in and I also included Written in the Stars because my earlier runs made me think Seeker off-class had promise.

Scrying my own deck then getting three uses out of Guts or Eureka! (which shuffles the deck) was the plan but I didn't get the opportunity in the game I played. The other thing the deck had going on was (jank warning) zero Investigate assets, with Dayana Esperence and Read the Signs as my main cluevering tool. The only other method I had for getting clues was Drawn to the Flame, which I went back to after realizing it's pretty drat good for Gloria, and Deduction with her six base Intellect from having Alyssa Graham and St. Hubert's Key in play.

The reasoning behind that setup was that TNU had exactly two clues on every location (and The Eternal Slumber only had one four-clue location plus a couple of effects which RtS negated) and because of the Strength of the Abyss mechanic, by the time you get to the Dreamlands the three Skulls could easily be -5 or more (with two other -5s and a -7 in the bag) and there was a shroud four and five location that had to be successfully investigated. Working with only 19XP (technically 25XP because of the six from winning TES) it was hard to make any asset-based investigation reliable enough for that, but Gloria's RtS would test at 11-12 every time.

Also, you only needed six clues to advance to the final act, and then another six to get the 'good' ending. And speaking of which, I misread how that bit worked each of the other times I was there; I thought you had to do all three of the skill test tasks, but you don't as long as the Abyss Strength is four or less. So Daniela only had to keep the boss busy for 2-3 turns while Gloria went and made friends with the Nightgaunts to get an item which gives you three uses of 'automatically evade every non-Nightguant enemy you're engaged with' and then another 1-2 turns for Daniela to equip the boss-killing Sledgehammer (4) and finish him off.

For Daniela's part, I took the new Fire Extinguisher (3) as her main weapon, which has a +1/+1 Fight action and 'Evade : discard this to automatically evade everything' for when she needed to drop it for the hammer. The deck was fairly light on other fighting kit because of Gloria, but I will say Toe to Toe is an amazing card for her (and probably Nathaniel Cho, too) and Aquinnah (3) is hilarious; on the first agenda advancement where you get ambushed by the leftover Brotherhood enemies from TES I was briefly dismayed when she drew a 3-attack Abyssal Revenant, but then I realized I could Toe to Toe it and have it whack the ambusher and then finish it off with a single attack. Daniela is super fun to play and I'll have to do a full campaign with her sometime.

I won with the first playthrough so this is the first iteration of these decks and they're a bit rough, but for anyone interested here they are :

Gloria Goldberg

Daniela Reyes

I wanted to fit Truth from Fiction in for Scroll and Dayana but couldn't find room. And I really wanted to do something with Rogue Gloria and Sleight of Hand because it's a fun card but there just aren't enough relevant Mystic assets for it. I was looking at something with De Vermis Mysteriis but there was nowhere to go. Then when I was doing Seeker Gloria I realized it would be cool for all the Seeker Insight cards but then you'd need a way to clear its doom. So then I thought Dayana and Moonlight Ritual, and then I thought hey Dayana/Eldritch Inspiration might be good with Jacqueline's Sixth Sense on high-clue location scenarios. Long story short I should probably play Dexter for the whole Sleight of Hand thing, right?

Last thing, unrelated to the above. For those playing with the EotE box, what do you think about the new basic weaknesses that all require healing to remove? I drew one on one of my RtTCU test runs and it was bad enough to get me to buy some token healing with XP after the first scenario, but I don't think any of them are going to make me want to put healing into a level zero deck. This Daniela deck was one of the rare times where I did take healing and I ended up drawing Leg Injury, which wasn't too bad.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 19, 2021

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Does the amount of experience you get in a campaign increase post Dunwich Legacy? Or does it continue to be pretty tight (2ish per scenario)?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, some campaigns give more than others but Dunwich is by far the lowest.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Probably due to it being the first campaign and them not having too much of an idea of how much experience they wanted people to have by that point.
Setting up Trish and probably a Blue or Purple for Carcosa. Should be fun.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I would include someone who can either attack with spells or use relics. And can who handle mental treacheries.
—-
Daniela absolutely loves the Guardian skill that gives you three wild evade or three wild attacks, and if you miss you get attacked. All upside.
—-
Finished EOTE yesterday. Doing it all at once instead of over months create a much more coherent experience. The NPC‘s get a lot more breathing room than TCU or TFA. Which is good, cuz there are nine of them, but only one or two central mysteries in each campaign. The enemies are challenging too, and not just in a “find a way to do more damage quicker“ way.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
It's looking like Nun or Martial Artist, leaning more towards Nun with a holy spear and all that jazz. Might just end up packing the token bag full of blesses and curses with "justify the means" and just completely ignore the bag on the Trish end.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

Daniela absolutely loves the Guardian skill that gives you three wild evade or three wild attacks, and if you miss you get attacked. All upside.

Yeah, I was going to put Daring in but the only enemy of consequence I thought I'd be handling was the boss and he already had Retaliate, plus I was thinking with her base Combat plus Daring she'd be testing at 8, which would probably succeed a fair amount. I forgot it worked on evasion as well, which would've been a pretty much guaranteed way to trigger an attack.

Douche Phoenix posted:

It's looking like Nun or Martial Artist, leaning more towards Nun with a holy spear and all that jazz. Might just end up packing the token bag full of blesses and curses with "justify the means" and just completely ignore the bag on the Trish end.

One thing I remember from my Sister Mary TIC run is that I wish I'd bought the Holy Spear a lot earlier than I did, like I probably should've grabbed one after the first and second scenarios. If you want to fill the bag with bless tokens quickly bring someone who has Survivor access for Keep Faith. I used Minh Thi Phan for that and it worked well.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 20, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So me and my friend played through the starter set adventures the other day, really enjoyed it though I think we messed up the engagement rules a bit and we absolutely hosed the second adventure up but we ended up getting what felt like a pretty decent ending in act 3 all told.

I think the replay value of those opening ones is a bit low though and we enjoyed it enough to justify me buying one of the other expansions. Is there a consensus on the best expansion cycle to potentially get? I asked a similar question a few weeks back I think but now I might understand the comparisons better.

I figure I'm probably best off either grabbing the Edge of the Earth one or Innsmouth since that one, being the most recent in the old release format will probably be the last to get rereleased in the new method? The Dunwich rerelease is supposedly coming out Feb in the UK so could wait to grab that potentially but if we get one now we could have it finished by then. I'm curious what the cadence of the releases of the old expansions in the new format will be cause I really like the sound of Carcosa and Circle Undone the most I think but the new method does seem to be a lot easier to keep track of.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 24, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I would get edge of the earth because it’s complete in one box. Although the player card box is good too.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

So me and my friend played through the starter set adventures the other day, really enjoyed it though I think we messed up the engagement rules a bit and we absolutely hosed the second adventure up but we ended up getting what felt like a pretty decent ending in act 3 all told.

I think the replay value of those opening ones is a bit low though and we enjoyed it enough to justify me buying one of the other expansions. Is there a consensus on the best expansion cycle to potentially get? I asked a similar question a few weeks back I think but now I might understand the comparisons better.

I figure I'm probably best off either grabbing the Edge of the Earth one or Innsmouth since that one, being the most recent in the old release format will probably be the last to get rereleased in the new method? The Dunwich rerelease is supposedly coming out Feb in the UK so could wait to grab that potentially but if we get one now we could have it finished by then. I'm curious what the cadence of the releases of the old expansions in the new format will be cause I really like the sound of Carcosa and Circle Undone the most I think but the new method does seem to be a lot easier to keep track of.

Engagement rules are complex. For a while I thought I could move away from enemies and take an attack of opportunity but otherwise escape. Whoops.

Midnight Masks, the second scenario, is very replayable and many people consider it the perfect one to test new deck builds.

Seconding Edge of the Earth, it doesn't introduce any crazy new rules and it's on the easier side.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

Engagement rules are complex. For a while I thought I could move away from enemies and take an attack of opportunity but otherwise escape. Whoops.

For us, we weren't having investigators auto engage when a monster spawned or when they moved onto a space with the monster, we were treating it like a thing you had to actively do. So like, in that second scenario, we got hosed up and only got one cultist because we thought we had to move onto a location as one action, engage with the 2nd and then try making an attack with the final one. We just ended up getting bogged down. Upon reading it again, it seems like you only have to actively do it if it's a monster that ignores you, exhausted or if it's engaged with another investigator.

Hopefully I've got that right now at least. Think I've gotten worse at parsing rules as I've gotten older, I used to play the old Arkham Horror ten or so years back and this is a lot simpler but captures alot of the flavour/feeling.

Cheers folks, I'll have a look at the campaign half Edge of the Earth then, can potentially grab it and play through it over the next month or so. Might grab the Investigator box as well if we feel like we want to play as some weirder investigators. I suspect I will end up getting everything over the next year.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
There is a fan-made Whispers in the Darkness youtube video from like 4 years ago that explicitly breaks down engagement rules. Definitely watch it, as it cleared up a lot of unanswered questions that I had (or didn't know that I had).

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
If you don't want to get Edge of the Earth, the Path to Carcosa cycle is possibly the best campaign in the game, though getting the whole cycle will probably be a lot more difficult

Would be a pretty good experiment to see if you can beat a new big box with just the core set though!

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Arkham Horror : The Card Game is a cooperative Living Card Game from Fantasy Flight Games where 1-4 players take on the role of investigators trying to unravel mysterious plots in and around the 1920s Lovecraftian town of Arkham, Massachusetts. The game's most compelling features are its rich narrative and its campaign mode where a number of games are played in a series, with the decisions you make in one game carrying over to future games.

Players are able to upgrade their decks with more powerful cards over the course of a campaign, but as your deck becomes stronger so too do the eldritch forces pitted against you.

I figure anyone browsing this thread on this forum is probably already aware that this game exists, so the purpose of this post is to provide an overview of how it plays in order to help you decide if you want to give it a shot. One thing I will say right away is that it plays quite differently at each player count, and that it's an excellent single player game, with true solo and two-handed being very popular ways to play.

The old thread can be found here.

====================

How to Play

The Arkham Horror LCG is played over a number of rounds which are divided into four phases, the most important of which is the Investigation Phase. During this phase, each player takes their turn by performing up to three actions. Possible actions include playing or drawing cards, gaining resources, activating abilities, fighting enemies, investigating your location for clues, or moving to a connecting location.

Before the game begins, however, you must choose an investigator and build a deck according to the instructions on the back of their card.

Investigators have four different skills : Willpower, Intellect, Combat, and Agility. They also have health and sanity values and unique abilities.

After building your deck it's time to pick a scenario to play. Follow its setup instructions to create the encounter deck and put the agenda and act decks into play.

The agenda deck represents the progress made by the dark forces of the Mythos. During the first phase of each round (except the first round of the game) one doom token is placed onto the current agenda, then the doom threshold is checked to determine whether the agenda will advance.

In the example above, the agenda "What's Going On?!" will advance when the third doom token is placed onto it, which means it is flipped over and any triggered effects mentioned on the back of the card are resolved. It is then put aside and the next card in the agenda deck becomes the current agenda. The scenario ends when the final agenda advances, which is usually a bad thing for the investigators.

The act deck represents the progress made by the investigators towards solving the mystery or achieving their objectives, and if the final act is advanced the scenario ends in a more favorable way. To advance the act, the investigators collect clues from the locations they visit by performing investigate actions. In the above example, investigators can advance the act, "Trapped", when they collect four clues.

As part of the scenario setup, you will be instructed to put a number of locations into play, with one location designated as the starting location for the investigators. Each investigator has a minicard which you place on or at a location to indicate their current position. Locations are connected to one another by the colored symbols shown in the top left corner and along the bottom of the card.

Locations have two sides : unrevealed and revealed. Most locations enter play on their unrevealed side, and when an investigator moves to one for the first time it's flipped to its revealed side. When this happens clues are placed onto it according to the number beside the clue icon on the right-hand side of the card. In the example above, two clues are placed onto the Study for each investigator in the game.

Locations also have a shroud value, which represents the difficulty of discovering clues using the investigate action. To investigate a location an Intellect skill test is performed, which compares the investigator's Intellect value to the shroud value of the location (the number on the left-hand side).

Skill tests are performed very frequently and they often determine the outcome of your actions as well as the outcome of certain situations presented by the game. When a skill test is initiated an investigator may commit cards from their hand to boost the stat they are testing. If Roland Banks investigates the Study he may commit Eureka from his hand to boost his Intellect by one because it has one Intellect skill icon. It also has Willpower and Agility icons, but they only apply to skill tests which test those stats.

After committing cards to the test, the investigator must then draw a chaos token from the chaos bag and apply its modifier to the skill value. If the modified skill value is equal to or higher than the difficulty of the test the investigator succeeds and, in the case of an investigate action, they discover one clue from the location. After the test ends, any cards committed to it are discarded.

The chaos bag contains tokens with mostly negative modifiers as well as several with symbols which have scenario-specific effects. There are often multiple tokens with the same number or symbol in the bag, but there is only ever one copy of the Elder Sign (blue) or Autofail (red) tokens.

When drawn during a skill test, the Elder Sign token provides a beneficial effect which is unique to each investigator (the particular effect is indicated on their card with the Elder Sign icon). And when the Autofail token is drawn, the test fails no matter what your skill test value ended up being, as you might've guessed.

The Next Round

The first phase of each round is the Mythos Phase (except for the first round of the game where it is skipped). This is the phase where doom is placed onto the agenda and its threshold checked, after which each investigator draws a card from the encounter deck and resolves its effects. Encounter cards come in two varieties: Treacheries and Enemies.

Treacheries typically require you to perform a skill test to avoid something bad happening. In this case, if you fail the Willpower test on Rotting Remains you will gain horror tokens equal to the amount you failed by. If you ever have an amount of horror tokens equal to or greater than your sanity value (or damage tokens equal to or greater than your health value) you are immediately defeated and the game is over for you, but if there are other players in the game they can keep playing.

If you draw an enemy from the encounter deck it is placed in your threat area, which is simply a game zone in front of you. The enemy is considered to be engaged with you, which means if you perform any action other than a Fight or Evade action (or the less common Parley or Resign actions) that enemy will immediately attack you; this is called an Attack of Opportunity. When an enemy attacks you, you gain damage and horror tokens equal to its damage and horror values.

The Ghoul Minion enemy has damage and horror values of one each, as indicated by the icons in the middle of the card. It also has a fight value, a health value, and an evade value, each of which is listed at the top of the card from left to right. To fight an enemy you perform a Combat skill test against its fight value, and to Evade an enemy you perform an Agility test against its evade value. If you succeed at a fight action you deal one damage to it, and if an enemy ever has damage equal to or greater than its health value it is defeated, which means it is placed in the encounter discard pile.

If you succeed at an evade action you don't deal any damage to it, but you do disengage from it and it becomes exhausted, which is a game effect where its card is rotated 90 degrees. Exhausted enemies cannot engage any other investigators and they cannot attack later on during the Enemy Phase, but during the final phase of the round, the Upkeep Phase, all exhausted cards are readied (or returned to their upright positions) and it will then immediately engage any investigator at its location. Some enemies also have the Hunter trait, which means they will move around of their own accord to chase you down, so evading enemies is often only a temporary solution for dealing with them.

====================

Building a Deck

The three main types of player cards you can add to your deck are Assets, Events, and Skills.

After paying the cost for an asset (the number in the top left corner) it enters play in your play area and generally remains there until a game effect causes it to leave play. Assets often provide long-term advantages, whereas events are played for an immediate effect and then discarded, which is not to say they aren't impactful, but rather that you will want to strike a balance of both in your deck.

Assets and events often have skill icons on them which means you can commit them to skill tests, but only skill cards provide effects which trigger off the results of a test. Most decks will have fewer skills than assets or events, but they are still an important part of your deck and they often provide the best means for passing critical tests.

When you first start playing you will probably make use of one of the pre-constructed decks in the core set. They're designed to be functional but after your first game or two you will probably start to get a feel for which cards are worth keeping and which ones you should swap out. Deck-building is a huge topic, so I won't go into any more detail about it here, but it is one of the most interesting things about the game to discuss so if you have any questions by all means ask the thread.

Strengths and Weaknesses

Each investigator comes with a number of signature cards (usually two) which must be included in their decks. At least one of these cards provides a beneficial effect for them, and they're some of the most powerful and fun cards in the game.

The other signature card which must be added to your deck is your investigator's Weakness, which causes a debilitating effect when drawn. And in addition to that unique weakness you must also add one Basic Weakness to your deck, chosen from a pool consisting of all the ones you own.

Going the Distance

The final game concept I'll mention is the campaign mode, which consists of eight separate scenarios played in sequence. At the end of each one you earn experience points based upon how well you performed, and you can then use that XP to purchase upgrades for your deck.

Each player card in the game has a level (except for investigator signature cards) from zero to five, with your starting deck being composed only of level zero cards. To purchase an upgrade simply spend an amount of XP equal to that card's level to add it to your deck.

When adding cards to your deck you must maintain the same deck size you began the game with and you can only have two copies of any one card by title, so when you add a new card to your deck you must remove an old one. In the above case, when you add a copy of the .45 Automatic (2) to your deck you must remove a copy of the original level zero version. Some cards also have multiple versions at different levels, in which case you only need to pay the difference in XP when upgrading them.

And with all of that now out of the way, it's time to meet the investigators of Arkham Horror : The Card Game!

====================

The Investigators of Arkham Horror : The Card Game

The Arkham Horror Expanded Universe consists of a number of different games going back to the original Arkham Horror board game from 2005, all of which share the same pool of investigator characters. In the LCG these characters are divided into five classes : Guardian, Seeker, Mystic, Rogue, and Survivor. I'll show a few examples of each from the current cast along with some of the more iconic cards from their class.

Guardians

Guardians put themselves in harm's way to protect others. They have the biggest guns and the tankiest allies, and they never back down from a fight no matter how many monsters stand in their way. Their primary stat is Combat.

Seekers

Seekers are obsessed with solving mysteries and gaining knowledge, whether it be from the local library or an ancient temple filled with forgotten lore. When it comes to discovering clues, nobody does it better. Their primary stat is Intellect.

Mystics

Mystics are drawn to and influenced by the arcane forces of the Mythos. Talented spell-casters, they often risk their own sanity in the pursuit of greater power and knowledge. Their primary stat is Willpower.

Rogues

Rogues are in it for the money, and for themselves. Whether it's slipping away from an enemy or engaging in legally questionable activities, they do everything in style. Their primary stat is Agility.

Survivors

Survivors are your everyday people caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. They get by through sheer determination, and a little bit of luck, rising to the occasion when put to the test. They don't have a primary stat.

Tips for Getting Started

The Arkham Horror LCG is often considered to be a difficult or punishing game to play, and while that is thematically appropriate given the subject matter you may find that small comfort if you keep ending up on the wrong side of the flesh-eating ghoul. The best piece of general advice I can offer is that the game is designed so that if you fail a scenario, or even multiple scenarios, it doesn't mean the campaign is over. Across all of the campaigns in the game there are relatively few where a bad resolution will end your campaign outright, and at its core the game is all about making the best of a bad situation.

Having said that, the best piece of specific advice I can offer is to think about the concept of action economy. You can typically only perform three actions per turn and the sooner you advance the final act the better off you'll be, so ideally you want each of your actions to be meaningful in order to bring the game to that favorable resolution as quickly as possible.

In practice, this means a few things. The first is that you shouldn't choose to perform skill tests unless you have a good chance of passing them. Performing a skill test at parity usually has a low chance of success, so instead of doing that try gaining resources or drawing cards so that you can play or commit something which will help you succeed.

The second thing to consider is that the basic investigate action gives you one clue, the basic fight action deals one damage, and the basic resource and draw actions give one resource and one card. This essentially means that the value of one action is equal to one of those effects, which in turn means that any card which allows you to gain more than one clue or deal more than one damage using a single action puts you ahead of the curve. Also, some abilities don't cost any actions to use so they can be particularly valuable for increasing the efficiency of your deck.

Here are some other general tips :

• Think of your health and sanity as resources to be spent, not saved. If you advance the final act with nine HP or one HP left the result is the same : you win. But if you leveraged your HP and SP effectively over the course of the game then you probably saved yourself a lot of unnecessary actions spent on healing or avoiding damage. This is why most of the healing effects in the game are not considered to be very good, since damage not taken because the game ended sooner is always better than damage you had to spend actions to heal.

• When taking a mulligan, try to end up with a hand where you can spend most or all of your resources on your first turn, usually on an asset. Also, ask yourself the question : what will I do if the first Mythos phase hands me an enemy?

• Actions on treacheries and weaknesses in a player's threat area can be activated by any player in the game. This means that another investigator can help you remove a weakness that costs actions to discard.

• Your modified test value during a skill test cannot go below zero. This means that if the difficulty of the test is zero (a common example is using Flashlight on a 2-shroud location) then you will succeed regardless of which token you draw, except the Autofail, of course.

Common Mistakes

The Arkham Horror LCG is a complex game with a large number of rules so when starting out it's pretty easy to make a few mistakes. Here are some of the more common ones :

• The only time doom can advance the agenda is during the Mythos phase step where doom is added and the threshold checked (unless otherwise noted by a game effect). Also, when doom is removed due to an agenda being advanced, doom is removed from every card in the game, not just the agenda.

• The Mythos phase is skipped during the first round of the game.

• The investigators can choose the order in which each takes their turn during the Investigation Phase. The lead investigator does not have to go first.

• The Grim Rule only exists to resolve timing or rules deadlocks. You are not required to always take the worst possible option!

====================

Buying Guide

If you've decided you'd like to try the game the first thing you'll need is a copy of the core set. FFG recently released a Revised Core Set which includes two copies of all the cards from the original core set plus several additional cards from the first expansion cycle. Most online vendors will list this product as "Revised Core Set" but the packaging for the box appears almost identical to the original so if you're looking at it in a store make sure you get the right one by checking that the back of the box looks like this :

The core set comes with three introductory scenarios which are each designed to teach you something about the game. If you make it through that and want more then it's time to embark upon a full-length campaign! Here's a brief description of each one, in release order.

The Dunwich Legacy begins with a missing persons case which eventually leads you to the small, secluded village of Dunwich, where things aren't quite as they seem, because monsters live there.

The Path to Carcosa has you attend a theatrical production of The King in Yellow, followed by a delightful dinner party where things aren't quite as they seem, because monsters live there. Or do they? You may find yourself doubting your own convictions as your path takes you from Arkham to Paris and beyond in search of answers.

The Forgotten Age is a pulp adventure set in the uncharted rainforests of Central America. When a scientific expedition discovers ancient ruins belonging to a forgotten Aztec city-state, what lengths will you go to to uncover the secrets that lie within?

The Circle Undone features a coven of witches and a secret cabal known as The Lodge vying for power in and around Arkham. Whose side will you take?

The Dream-Eaters has a unique design consisting of two 4-part campaigns. In one of those campaigns you will explore the Dreamlands, the hidden realm beyond the waking world with such fanciful locations as Ulthar, a town full of talking cats, and... the Moon?

The Innsmouth Conspiracy finds you waking up in an underwater cave system beneath the seaside town of Innsmouth with no recollection of how you arrived there. Featuring scenarios that alternate between the present and your recent past, will you recover your memory in time to identify the threat below the waves, or will you end up in a watery grave?

Edge of the Earth takes place in Antarctica as you join a scientific expedition searching for an ancient city discovered in the ice. In each scenario, one of nine different partner allies can accompany you, but the icy wasteland is a dangerous place and your actions will determine not only their fate but that of the entire expedition.

Edge of the Earth, The Innsmouth Conspiracy, and The Path to Carcosa are the thread's most recommended campaigns for new players.

The Dunwich Legacy is a fine campaign but it shows its age, design-wise, compared to the more recent ones. The Forgotten Age has some unusual enemy designs and its difficulty is very front-loaded. The Circle Undone is more technically complex than the others, and The Dream-Eaters is great but it's two separate campaigns which only superficially interact with each other (or not at all if you choose to do them completely separately).

Having said all that, you may find pack availability to be the deciding factor. It used to be the case that each cycle would begin with a deluxe box followed by six separate packs, but beginning with Edge of the Earth the distribution model now consists of two boxes only : the Investigator Expansion, which contains all of the player cards, and the Campaign Expansion, which contains only the campaign cards. FFG has announced that all of their older cycles will be re-released in this format, beginning with The Dunwich Legacy early next year. None of the other re-releases have been announced yet so we don't know what their schedule is going to be like, but I'd be surprised if the Carcosa boxes don't also release sometime next year.

There are also "Return to X" boxes, which are supplemental encounter and player cards for the original campaigns. They generally fix minor issues and enhance the replayability factor but don't necessarily increase the difficulty.

Every year at Gencon they also announce a Standalone scenario pack which consists only of encounter cards, though most of them also have a few player cards as rewards for completing them successfully. These scenarios are generally pretty hard as they're balanced around having a certain amount of XP, and you can choose to play them in between campaign scenarios or by themselves using the game's Standalone rules. In release order, they are Curse of the Rougarou, Carnevale of Horrors, The Labyrinths of Lunacy, Guardians of the Abyss, Murder at the Excelsior Hotel, The Blob That Ate Everything, War of the Outer Gods, and Machinations Through Time.

If you want to try one of these, pick up Murder at the Excelsior Hotel or The Blob That Ate Everything first.

And the final product to mention is the Investigator Starter Decks :

These packs are designed for new players as they consist of full decks ready-to-play, including a selection of higher level cards to upgrade into. They have some of the best cards in the game and are very much worth picking up if you can find them.

Useful Links

• Arkham Horror : The Card Game at FFG contains product information and support resources such as downloadable campaign rules and print-and-play modules.

• Here's a direct link to the Arkham Horror LCG FAQ (version 1.9 - June 2021) which contains all the latest rulings and answers to questions about specific cards. It also features the List of Taboos, which is an optional set of restrictions and changes to several cards made for balance reasons.

• ArkhamDB is the most popular card database and deck-building site.

• The Mythos Busters Discord is the most popular AH Discord and it contains a lot of resources for every kind of player, including a very active group of rules gurus who are always happy to answer any question you may have. It's also the #1 spot for spoilers when new card sets are released.

• The SCED Discord exists to maintain the unofficial Tabletop Simulator module for the AH LCG. Yes, you can play the game online! This is also the best way to play community generated content (ask the thread what's worth checking out if you're interested).

• Stackham Horror shows stock availability for a bunch of online stores.

• Arkham Chaos Bag is an Android app which replaces the physical token bag and it has a lot of nice quality of life features.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 3, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I haven’t dove into the line by line, but it’s certainly more exhaustive than original post. I like it. There are a few “:” errorsx

If you’re going for an OP you don’t have to edit a lot, you should change the EOTE description to this:
You’ve volunteered for the Dyer expedition to Antarctica. If you’re able to survive the blistering cold, there are worse things beneath the ice. Mountaineering, finding camp, and dealing with your own psychosis are equally important. The campaign starts with nine partner allies, who will live and die depending on your choices.

I would also be less glib about Innsmouth, trying something like this:

Innsmouth introduces bless and cursed tokens, which can give you great rewards but will throw off your bag analysis. It’s told in a back-and-forth flashbacks, adding confusion and replayability. Can you uncover the dark conspiracy in the town of Innsmouth? Or will you drown beneath the waves?

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 25, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

If you don't want to get Edge of the Earth, the Path to Carcosa cycle is possibly the best campaign in the game, though getting the whole cycle will probably be a lot more difficult

Would be a pretty good experiment to see if you can beat a new big box with just the core set though!

Oh it's not so much that I don't want to and I probably will, just asking if there's any people will really recommend heavily and wondering if getting that one specifically would make Dunwich seem..... bad afterwards cause that was the earliest one.

Carcosa is probably the one I like the sound of the most thematically as well, always did have a fondness for the King In Yellow/Hastur stuff whereas my friend (who I'm probably going to play 99% of my games with) really like Antarctic themed horror so Edge of the Earth might be the best bet. I already did grab a couple of the class specific starter investigators as well so we'd have a bit of choice in whichever expansion I do get.

I'm in the UK and over here getting the full cycles seems a lot easier than it does in the US at least, the online shop I get stuff from has literally everything in stock apart from one of the Return boxes which I definitely don't need yet. So I can either get a full cycle of whichever one I do choose or grab Edge of the Earth and get the rereleases as they come out and then if we play them enough, eventually grab the return to boxes.

Cheers for the advice as well everyone.

Kalko posted:

[*] Your modified test value during a skill test cannot go below zero. This means that if the difficulty of the test is zero (a common example is using Flashlight on a 2-shroud location) then you will succeed regardless of which token you draw, except the Autofail, of course.[/list]

I found this out last night and holy moly this will make stuff a fair bit easier, we did manage to finish the intro campaign in the most successful way I think but we came so close to failing a bunch cause of this. I think having played the old Arkham Horror board game made us go "yeah, a forced skill check where you take damage equal to how much you failed by? I have an evade of two, no cards to commit and drew a -4 so I take a shitload of damage" felt pretty much on the money. I'll have to make a little document of stuff to remember when we next play.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 25, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Doesn’t get rid of traits, which are things like monster, Miskatonic, or humanoid.

It DOES get rid of Hunter, aloof, retaliate and alert!

Which can be extremely useful since they can target an enemy at any location. That can include Wizards that gain doom at the end of the mythos phase.
Funnily enough, mind blank(3) reduce peoples horror, makes interrogating them easier. “Now that you have amnesia, tell me everything you know.”

And since it only lasts a phase, you can get rid of retaliate for investigator, then have something attack you In the enemy phase… And kill it with the survival knife or sk(2), sending its victory points to the pile.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

I’m playing with a friend through tcu again, this time we are Winnifred & Jaqueline instead of Preston and Diana. Jaqueline is so amazing but her weakness can really get your goat. Even with olive and using he ability, drawing nine of the 16 tokens in the Chaos bag, I’ve been unable to draw the elder sign multiple turns in a row. Other times, I draw my weakness at the end of my turn and immediately test it and beat it.

Two player, you’re really often in different places, which means we haven’t been able to do a predict the future style, scrying mirror double or nothing. But that’s coming.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

His elder sign lets him get his events back. Getting your guardian access to the elder sign consistently is a team effort!

I’m finding Jaqueline extremely hard to play at high xp. She has a lot of abilities that you want to put them down, but no ability to play events or assets faster than normal.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
She needs action compression. Wither and sixth sense aren't really worth it unless you are using sign magic (3). I'd take True Magik so you don't have to spend as many actions and resources playing spells.

Since you can only use your class ability and olive once per turn you want to be able to do your job with as few checks as possible.

I really liked shards of the void with her. She's more likely to grab 0s to charge it up and removing 0s defangs her weakness and makes everyone more likely to draw the elder sign.

She's unplayable if anyone wants to play with blesses or curses.

I'd also cut support cards like scrying mirror. It is a lot of resources and actions for marginal benefit. Since mystics are already asset heavy you want to lean more towards events to help prop you up while getting set up.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I bought the Arkham Horror art book for my gf, and it is way better than I thought. Totes recommend.

I have a copy of the Netrunner book on preorder, but I may just get a second copy to cut up and get full res scans for my Netrunner Art Instagram project and also to have to hang some pieces on the walls.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

I haven’t dove into the line by line, but it’s certainly more exhaustive than original post. I like it. There are a few “:” errorsx

Do you mean the thing where it puts a : right after a line break? Is that a BBcode thing? Or did you just mean there's too many semicolons? Because yeah, there are, and I'll wipe some of them out in a future pass. Thanks for the other feedback, too, I'll add some stuff to those descriptions.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I really liked shards of the void with her. She's more likely to grab 0s to charge it up and removing 0s defangs her weakness and makes everyone more likely to draw the elder sign.

I'd also cut support cards like scrying mirror. It is a lot of resources and actions for marginal benefit. Since mystics are already asset heavy you want to lean more towards events to help prop you up while getting set up.

Sealing tokens also makes it more likely everyone will draw the Autofail or a symbol token which has a bad effect, which is one of the reasons I found Jacqueline to be one of the most interesting investigators in the game. You typically don't want to make frivolous tests to avoid hitting too many bad symbol tokens but her filtering gives you some breathing room in that regard.

She has a higher chance of hitting the ES token than anyone else but also the same chance of hitting the AF, but with the right investigators in the game you can mitigate the AF to a certain degree, while nothing in the game lets you fish for the ES in that way that she can. Olive McBride comes close but she tanks your success chance on almost every test and is only good for finding specific tokens. I didn't think she was good enough for Sixth Sense, but she is Father Mateo's best friend, for sure.

I want to play Scrying Mirror in something but I'm not sure where it fits. Dexter Drake, maybe?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Pretty sure it’s just not a very good card for its cost.

Seems like it’d be best in a skill-card based investigator if you had to play it somewhere.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Dexter can afford it, he likes temporary lot stuff. And he can use it with succeed by x financial cards like watch this or Gregory.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

jeeves posted:

I bought the Arkham Horror art book for my gf, and it is way better than I thought. Totes recommend.

I have a copy of the Netrunner book on preorder, but I may just get a second copy to cut up and get full res scans for my Netrunner Art Instagram project and also to have to hang some pieces on the walls.

From memory, FFG owns the Android universe IP just not the actual Netrunner game they were licensing from WotC, so I'm kinda surprised they haven't come out with a new card game set in that universe. With L5R wrapping up and Keyforge on hiatus (or dead?) their only active LCGs are now AH and MC, and I guess LotR is getting some re-releases, too. You'd have to assume they have at least one new LCG in the works but I wonder if they'll ever make another competitive one.

What would a co-op Netrunner game look like? Maybe the corps would be the encounter deck like in AH, or something.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I’m guessing they don’t want to cannibalize their co-op audience with a reskinned Arkham Horror- but I have been curious as to why they haven’t done something simple like an one-off Android themed Arkham Horror pack. It’s not like they don’t already have all of the art assets.

However I’m sure the company is not in a place to do anything new and/or risky with their now third iteration of corporate profit squeezing masters running the place.

I’m just happy they got the art books out through Dark Horse somehow.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Finished my first run of EotE earlier tonight, on Standard. It's easily the best campaign yet, with probably the most replay value out of all of them. I loved the focus on the Partner allies, with all of the various narrative bits about them and also their stories in Fatal Mirage where you could fortify them so they can't be killed by the random events. I played FM for the first time before the final scenario and when I realized it was easier to go after the ones that were dead for the better XP I did that, so I only ended up getting one Resolute ally and it was Amy Kensler, and then I found out you can't take her with you on the second part of the final scenario! But it was fine because it meant I got the 'good' ending.

I think it's been mentioned here already but it was a bit easier than most campaigns, but Hard should be pretty interesting with this particular token bag and the minor scenario modifications.

A few other spoiler things...

- I liked how the Frost tokens stopped getting added to the bag after you get to City of the Elder things, since you're actually indoors for the rest of the campaign.

- In the final 'Ally Death Roulette' bit I pulled Takada, and Anyu saved her life. :3:

- The final scenario seemed pretty overwhelming until I read everything a few times. There's a lot going on but once you realize you just need to focus on the pylons (and doing one good Evade or Attack per turn) it makes a lot more sense. It kinda felt like trying to activate the seals again was mostly a waste of time, but one or two of them were pretty drat helpful.

Just so I don't end on another spoiler block, I think it's fairly common knowledge that this campaign has some really huge maps, and it does, but due to the scenario and location design you're not totally screwed if you don't have a lot of action compression. It sure does help, though!

Kalko fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 29, 2021

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/12/30/red-tide-rising-1/

Parallel Wendy! They saved the best for last, she seems like a lot of fun. Same stats, but new deckbuilding rules and a focus on bless/curse tokens and cards. She can go Survivor+Blessed and/or Cursed cards (with +5 deck size if she picks both Blessed and Cursed), which opens up a whole new range of deckbuilding options.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Curse magic is great with her. Or paradox covenant.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Parallel Wendy seems like she might be just about the best blessed/cursed user in the game.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think that would be true of anyone who can take every bless/curse card

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Thinking some more about EotE I love that there's so much stuff to interact with. All of the allies using secrets, charges, and supplies, as well as the items you can add to your deck, it all adds a fair amount of decision-making to your deck-building (after the first blind run, of course).

Also in the second scenario carting all of your poo poo up the mountain and then being offered 1XP per asset you add to your deck is diabolical - increasing your deck size is almost always a bad idea, and this campaign seems to have a sub-theme going on with that concept, what with the Tekili-li cards filling up your deck, too.

And here's some rough plots modelling the effects of the Frost tokens. Not really sure what or how much I should spoiler about EotE, but these tokens are "-1, reveal another token and if it's also a Frost token treat it as an Autofail." Max 8 in the bag.

The first plot is the EotE Hard bag with zero Frost tokens, and the second plot shows the default two tokens on the black line and the max eight tokens on the red. Each is 50k pulls simulated with an Elder Sign of +1.

edit : More accurate plots.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 2, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The second scenario thing is tricky, because those cards are all really really good. And with things like black market or Bob, you can spread them around the party.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yep, I wanted to take just about all of them but I think I ended up settling for two for each deck. I think the sledge is a high value one for helping you dig them out (as well as all of your regular stuff) especially with the Tekili-li cards inflating your deck size. Didn't think too much of the Small Radio because it loses a fair bit of its flexibility when you have to actually put the more situational ones in your deck for them to be legal targets, but I can see how it'd be great in a 4-player game.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

That card is better with fewer players. You get to use everything out of play, which is tremendously flexible.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Huh, you're right. At first glance I thought it worked that way, then when I read the campaign resolution I thought all of the ones you didn't score were lost, but now that I read it properly, yeah, it's a lot better. Emergency Cache (3) is back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Huh, the difference between 2 and 8 frost tokens in ecpected outcome is smaller than I expected and between 0 and 2 is bigger than I expected.

How is the chance at succeeding with 0 frost tokens and 0 over the test lower than both 2 and 8 frost tokens though?