Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

New FAQ update (well, it's missing but that's the intent at least): https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/6/28/guided-by-the-unseen/

Not too surprised by most of those, although sad to see some of the cards go. I still think they're a bit too conservative with some of their buffs. Elusive no longer being more xp should make it see use again, although I'm not entirely sure how much since you can basically still be hunter'd into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Kalko posted:

How does that Three Aces nerf affect your alt-Skids deck? In a deck that recurred it constantly there's still some value there I think by making your deck three cards lighter, but I assume it was mostly used in your deck to eventually do big Shotgun attacks?

My deck? It's basically entirely neutered. Shotgun likely would've been on the upgrade path I took (and KPC_Mammon's deck had it in) but how I was running Three Aces was being used once or twice a turn. So if there was some big mythos phase test I absolutely needed, I may throw it out there (later on after I had banked some cash the money talks became more relevant and I'd more likely use those, but until you get around 15-20 saved it's often just a dead card), then either be setting up again for next turn to have it ready or using a couple actions to just pull it off again on a big action that turn. That's what I thought was so interesting about Skids's ability when i first saw it previewed-not just the ability to accumulate money, but the fact you can trigger relatively harmless skill tests as a free action. My initial idea before I saw KPC_Mammon's deck was to use Manual Dexterities, upgraded Luckys, etc as well as Three Aces and other card draw to basically cycle through quickly to be able to get to what you need using his free test. But with Daredevil and Practice Makes Perfect, you accelerate through your deck way quicker.

Now, I do think you could make alt Skids work still. I think you'd lean more heavily into big money stuff with his ability. I'd also say you'd really want Daredevil (2) in that case, because you'll want to shuffle cards in (since you don't get as much value from forever milling yourself). You could either choose to use Three Aces as early boost/deck thinner, or an emergency button for when you absolutely need to pass something after you've assembled them all in your hand. I'd also probably rely more on the other skill cards for Rogues as well in that case just so Daredevil has more hits. If you don't cut Practice Makes Perfect entirely, Surprising Find might also be a good get in this case-you can still get a very small deck so you're practicing for most of it so getting hits should be good (upgraded Cigarette Case would also help here, but again that's even more xp). Shotgun still is likely usable, but you'd basically have to greatly up the threshold of cash needed since you can't rely on +3 icons and autopassing from Three Aces (or at least, not more than once). Although at that point, I'm not sure Skids is offering much more than other rogues like Jenny, Sabrina, or Preston in terms of big money plays, or Winni for card draw.

So TLDR version: my version of the deck was built around constant recursion of Three Aces, so it's basically DOA. However, you could likely build something similar leaning more into big money stuff and using Skids card selection as the main advantage over other rogues.

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I think it makes 3 aces pretty awkward now. In a deck that is built to search and draw it's maybe okay but it's a lot of set up to pass a single test. You can't build a deck around it now so it needs to slot into a different strategy.

I think the sniper rifle is still bad too. 3 ammo, 2 hand slots and you're still in trouble if you ever end up engaged with an enemy so you probably need bandolier for an of hand weapon, extra ammo to reload it etc. Fun to play as a jank deck but not much else.

I'm sad about the Wendy nerf, even though it makes total sense, only because I'd built a fun Wendy trap deck using cards like hiding spot, under surveillance etc but hasn't gotten around to playing it. At least I can start building a watchful peace decks without feeling dirty.

Yeah Sniper Rifle is still bad. Honestly they could've made it 1h, or said you had an additional hand slot for a firearm or something with it. It's not like people don't have a sidearm and rifle carried at the same time. It's just strange to spend 4xp on a weapon that you can't actually use if an enemy spawns on you. Maybe you could use it in some goofy Leo deck where he uses Elusive or other similar rogue effects to disengage and then blast enemies, but that seems like a lot of work for little payoff.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 29, 2021

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

That change to three aces completely wrecks my Skids build on higher difficulties. I'm not sure his parallel front is worth using without it.

I still think it could be viable. Leaning into Manual Dex and upgraded Lucky basically lets you cycle through a bunch of cards and gain 3 money per turn possibly. Of course it's also much slower to come online and the top end isn't nearly as powerful but I think it's still possibly solid. Or maybe I just want to see Skids decent again, he's been bad for so long :( . At least he had a brief time in the sun...

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Hackjack posted:

Seems like card recursion was hit hard. What tricks (besides high card draw and the tricks in the Parallel Skids decks) were commonly used to recur cards? I’ve never even tried playing a deck with recursion besides obvious ones like Wendy/William/Mandy/Harvey, so I’m wondering what tools are out there that are being overused.

So basically you covered the main ones. Seekers all had most of the super card draw (typically based on the Mr. Rook/Practice Makes Perfect/research cards engine), with Mandy and Trish (who isn't a seeker but gets access to all the key stuff) probably being the best since they also could Three Aces. When I played Trish a bit back, I was probably getting pendant out every two or three turns. Survivor also has a ton of recursion, but most of there's comes from Resourceful, Scrounge For Supplies, and their own abilities. There's also a Will to Survive loop using True Survivor and Resourceful (generally you also need to throw in some money generation since that gets pricey every turn, Watch This can work, or Drawing Thin/Take Heart on some test, etc). Yorick and Silas could basically play Eucatastrophe every test it was applicable assuming they could afford it-Yorick could just do it from his elder sign, and Silas could do it if there was a Resourceful in his discard (elder sign back Resourceful and commit it, pass the test and get back Eucatastrophe). A Watchful Peace could also fit in with the Survivor stuff, although I don't know if you could do it every turn (possibly with a dedicated team, but you'd still have the Doom clock even if you ignore mythos cards). I assume Hallow was done more as a just in case thing (and to not make Guardians feel left out), although there was maybe something you could pull off with a team that floods the bag and Lola but I'm doubtful). Wendy also has an infinite money combo that's technically possible but maybe a bit difficult to set up due to some recursion (basically, if you have Easy Mark as your top card of discard and/or in your hand, her amulet in play, and your deck is 1 or 2 other Easy Marks, you can cycle that infinitely).

Kalko posted:

Fair enough. When I was going over the decklist in my head I underestimated how much recursion was going on.

One positive change is the ruling on looking at facedown cards, so now you can look at the cards under Ancestral Knowledge before drawing.

Until I played it I didn't realize how much recursion I was gonna do. I played Lonnie to help soak a bunch of the incidental horror/damage, but honestly she was probably key in my deck from stopping me from killing myself from horror. There were a few turns that I went through my deck twice in one turn. Thinking back, on top of the changes I mentioned (add a Mauser and Act of Desperation) I probably should've went with Surprising Find and just cut the Luckys altogether (or at least until I got the lvl 3 versions).

And I didn't see the facedown card ruling, that does sound like a good change.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm really surprised the Take Heart + Grisly Totem 3 interaction hasn't been hit yet. Will to Survive letting you completely ignore the chaos bag forever means it should probably be removed from the game after a single use if the Pendant of the Queen and Three Aces can't be allowed to stick around.

I played Calvin with this tech through Forgotten Age and it felt like a completely different game. Not quite pre Taboo Mandy, but after the first few turns he'd stop drawing tokens and could wander off and deal with distant threats because he's never in any danger regardless of difficulty.

I think the reason they didn't hit Will to Survive just yet was due to the fact it's much more involved, from xp and cost and needed card standpoint. That said I'd agree with you that if they hid the others it should probably also be removed. It's not even particularly new, I just don't know really what is the basis for what they decide to add to the taboo list.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Usually they're sold at a markup so you can make more than the total value of a core set by disassembling the core set and selling it piecewise.

I don't think I've seen anyone doing that for awhile. I believe early on there was a couple places doing it.

That said, I still could use a couple core sets for our group. Don't know if it'd be worth it to you but I'd be willing to send you some cash for the encounter card sets if you just wanted to buy another core.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I would wait until at least the revised core for a new thread. Maybe also wait and see if they officially announce the new style release for older product. That way could give people better information right at the top. And we still don't know what all is getting added to the revised core, I believe.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

The hammer is basically the weapon I've been hoping they'd make forever. Now guardians shouldn't ever need to take twb, and you can run a bunch of mystics as your main fighter in 3-4 player games with no issues. Outside of the new investigators themselves it's by far the new card I'm most excited for.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

Use the ArkhamCards app if you are playing in person. The lack of randomness you are experiencing is probably user error.

The "lack of randomness" may not be an actual lack of randomness. Uneven distribution of results/"streaks" =/= lack of randomness.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

We will occasionally throw in a bonus or two depending on how it fits with theme or when we want to extend a campaign. Tbh a lot of them may not fit directly, but with all the travel you do on some of can make sense. And you always can stay in a hotel... But you have to be careful because especially if you do have a lot of xp boosts you can easily make up the cost and more and make later missions more trivial. Although depending on when you do the bonus they can be rough so it's somewhat balanced. Nothing stopping your from not spending xp if it feels to much. And there's some cool gear!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Also it looks like asmodee is up for sale again. I'm pessimistic what it means for the game and their properties in general. A lot of the somewhat curious choices lined up with and after the last sale. And based on how these venture capital acquisitions go, it's likely the next buyer will be getting an inflated price, then want to slash a bunch to make it up. Hopefully an actual game company puts in a bid and wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Honestly I think the starter deck investigators make a good intro set. Maybe replace Cho with someone else more reliant on a traditional weapon, but I think they all work reasonably well and outside of Winni's deck they're not even bad builds.

And I think a new thread would be fine, but I also have a feeling that we won't be seeing much, if any new content for a long time. I don't expect a new full campaign until roughly September next year, if then. So could end up seeing traffic dip a ton.