Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Pilfer was so, so close to being a bonkers card for Sefina. If it returned to your hand immediately instead of at the end of your turn, you could have copied it with the Painted World and gotten your Painted World back.

It's a good contender to replace Intel Report, but neither is strictly better than the other. I like it.

I suspect Sefina's is literally the reason Pilfer has the delayed return clause.

It's still a hell of a thing, and might be worth playing as her anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My group's first run through Lost and Time and Space built a wonderful emergent narrative where the person playing Preston Fairmont attempted to scamper and escape alone, but ended up screwing himself over leaving the only survivor Wendy Adams.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I've warmed up on new Skids, if nothing else his gamble ability gives him a schtick unique to him. As for the alternate decklist it took me until I looked up what Fortune and Gambits new Skids could use to come around on him, but an investigator with 6 copies of Lucky is a the sort of stupid gimmick deck I fully support.

Going forward I suspect they're going to do the initial 5 first before they think of doing other investigators mostly because they're in the core box and therefore available to theoretically anyone.

Meanwhile for parallel scenarios my hunch is they might swap to a different campaign rather than releasing one based on Miskatonic Museum, that way the materials needed for them remain in the big box expansions. Of course if they do that then perhaps anything goes for other investigators, maybe the next one will be based on The Last King and be the parallel version of Lola.

Edit: Someone pointed out that you can pay 0 into parallel Skids' gamble ability and then use Rogue's suite of "If you succeed do thing" (quick thinking/nimble/all in/momentum/watch this) to do wild stupid combo things. And you can Eucatastrophe to dodge the auto-fail if need be because it's a level 3 Fortune. I may have to build this sometime.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 15, 2020

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

BRB making an incredibly stupid deck based on Paradoxical covenant.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Answer the first: FFG keeps an FAQ and errata listing on their website under support and it's worth reading through. I don't know what instant kill Golden Bee is talking about off-hand, but Scenario 7 of the Dunwich Legacy made an oopsie that can possibly render it unwinnable hence the Errata. This isn't the last time either, there are a couple of small things in Carcosa that are also botched, in one scenario the card text accidentally lets you ignore a rule and in another scenario there was an unexpected interaction that can accidentally kill a boss and not let you do what you're supposed to do.

Answer the second: You've got it wrong. "Discover a clue" means you gain a clue that already exists at your location, you don't get to create more. Putting more clues on a location is fairly rare, and when it does it uses language such that it is explicit you are placing more clues on a location.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

DLC Inc posted:

Ah, ok---seems I got the clue without getting it in the cellar, haha. Ah well. I searched for what the heck "discover" meant and didn't get much of an answer in the rules book, and I also figured clues could maybe get put on the board by player cards. I only surmised that because some locations had Shroud value yet no clues, so I wondered what the hell was even the point of a Shroud value then? (This was the entryway with the Barrier in the first scenario, which had a Shroud of 1 yet no clues or reason for it.)

To date I believe there's only one player card that can let you voluntarily spawn an entirely new clue. Such effects are very rare, and usually scenario side.

As for shroud it's inherent on all locations, even those without clues, and there are ways where it can matter. For instance there are several cards in Carcosa that interact with shroud, for instance there's an enemy with a Fight value of X where X is the shroud of its location, or a couple of treacheries that harm you based on the shroud of your location. You can also still investigate a location with no clues, you won't get any clues for succeeding of course but doing it can still be helpful as there are cards that can reward you for succeeding (or failing) a test and you can ALWAYS trigger a test by investigating. There are also a couple of Seeker cards that will care about shroud for clueless locations as there are a couple that say things like "Drop one of your clues on this location: do something powerful" (better to dump it in the hallway where you can pick it up again easily in that case) or "Investigate: Do a thing if you succeed" (whether you got a clue or not in that investigation).

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

DLC Inc posted:

Am I right in assuming a card that says "Action:Fight" basically means 1 action, i.e. "when you opt to do a Fight action, this asset's qualities activate?" That's how I interpret it in terms of knives and poo poo, just making sure I didn't actually have to do 1 Action to "activate" a +1 for something and a second Action to Fight.

There are a few cards that say spend 1 charge on a thing and then Fight. Was a tiny bit worried spending the ammo charge on a gun asset might cost actions or something

You're right correct that it takes only one action to fight with a knife with +1, but you may have gotten there from the wrong direction. When you fully expand it Knife's first text is close to "Take an Activate Action on Knife to Fight with +1 Combat". If you just do a straight combat action you don't get Knife's bonuses, nor if you use the Activate:Fight action of another weapon. If you have two knives you only get the bonus from one of them when you use it because that bonus is only applied while you're using that knife's fight action. For things that require Ammo or Charges you spend them in the same action you launch an attack.

I'd say the key here is that an action can qualify as more than one thing at once. If you see an action word in Bold then it means you do that and the action will qualify as that kind of action. This is very important, because otherwise attacking with a knife would trigger an Attack of Opportunity (remember! When engaged with any enemy the only safe actions are Fight, Evade, Parley, and Resign actions). This is really really important and really really good with the card Haste, should you ever get your hands on it pay attention to how many actions overlap because you can very easily sneak in Haste's bonus action during regular play.

DLC Inc posted:

One thing I do like a lot so far is that there's no constant attack from a villain character in Arkham and the encounter deck is more than just fighting, which you can also just evade and prime a deck to handle differently from each character. Being able to address a scenario in several ways besides combat if need be is a neat function, even if a boss battle is an eventuality at the tail end.

There isn't always a boss at the end in Arkham scenarios, and even ones with bosses don't always come down to a straight slugfest. There's one scenario I can think of where the boss spawns early but is mostly dormant (and Aloof) and just follows you around being a dangerous pest as you try and solve a puzzle, and there's another where it's possible the boss spends the entire scenario running away from you so it's on you to hunt it down and beat it up as it flees as best it can.

Nonetheless, expect combat. I've heard it said Arkham is a game where you build decks defensively, trying to figure out what you'd do about thing X. This isn't absolute, but "can I deal with monsters" is an extremely valid thing to worry when making your deck.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 4, 2020

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

DLC Inc posted:

I think I did it the right way. I.e. in one turn I had, my three actions were:

1) Use the Action:Fight command on my knife to gain +1 in my Fight check against a monster, dealing 1 damage as usual
2) Investigated for clues
3) moved to the next room

Yep, completely correct here.

quote:

The way I understood---and it sounds like I was correct---I explicitly used the Knife as I would any asset that required you to tap into it for its bonus. Marvel Champions kind of does the same thing wherein there are items that give passive bonuses, and others that require you to say you're going to use them as part of your Fight Action.

Not a bad point of comparison.

Two things to remember: first is that unless a thing exhausts or has another limit you can use it repeatedly. You can Knife more than once a turn because the only cost on knifing is an action. Your character doesn't exhaust to attack. Second you generally can't double dip on actions in AH. In Marvel Champions you can stack up a bunch of Skilled Strikes or Mean Swings into a single basic attack to a massive chunk of damage, but here if you fight with a Knife you can't also use something like Monster Slayer (An event that lets you attack for +1 damage) or Clean Them Out (Event that lets you attack and gain 2 resources), and vice-versa as your Knife's combat bonus won't do anything if you play that Monster SLayer. On the other hand you can stack Skills (so multiple Vicious Blows will stack to deal extra damage) and if you have passive benefits like from a Beat Cop those will boost your knifing, but various kinds of actions to attack generally can't combine.

quote:

I've expected combat as an integral part of the game for sure, with all the talk of fire axes and guns and knives in this alongside sorcery attacks. It's just a lot more interesting that you can build decks in ways that not only prep for that but also find clever ways to circumvent encounters or events in other ways befitting of your character's aspects.

Yep, decks do need some plan for dealing with monsters be it being able to run away, lock them down, or outright kill them. And incidentally Fire Axe is no joke one of the best weapons in the game BTW, there are a couple of characters who can play a Fire Axe and just be good for the rest of the scenario.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

DLC Inc posted:

In some ways it reminds me of DnD with how the storytelling is variable and there's a continuous campaign narrative + character deck improvements. After opening up the Dunwich box I noticed a "Strange Solution" card that apparently would have some kind bearing on a campaign near the end, but doesn't say how or why? I kind of think it's extremely cool to have something like that since it seems like a risk to sacrifice a card in a deck for an asset that you aren't told the purpose of. I do NOT wanna spoil what it does but I do wish to know: is it a card solely for the Dunwich cycle? Does it have any purpose outside of Dunwich Legacy?

Strange Solution is first of a series of cards with a similar gimmick. None of those cards are cycle specific, they can be taken from and used in any campaign to great effect.

Speaking of campaigns, did you get the whole Dunwich cycle?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

DLC Inc posted:

I did! I'm pretty stoked to have an entire cycle to play with, too. I'm waiting for a big card box I ordered to arrive tomorrow before I open up the six Mythos packs---I opened up the Dunwich box though to get the player cards (fire axe!) and look at the Investigators. Seems odd that they all have just 1 aspect + 5 other cards while the first box had investigators that were able to use 2 aspects of 0-5 and 0-2 levels. Was this a one-off thing for the first 5 and after that, FF Games decided to approach future investigators differently? Or do other sets have characters that can use the same split?

0-5 primary and 0-2 secondary is the most common set-up for characters (three of the five characters in the most recent box have that setup), but there are a decent number of alternatives. For instance there's one character who has access to cards with the trait "Blessed" 0-3, and there's one particular Seeker who basically upgrades into a Mystic (Seeker cards level 0 and Mystic cards 1-5). To date the Dunwich style of five other level 0 cards hasn't been done again, though they are actually quite strong.

Once you crack open the mythos packs report back, see if you can figure out why I asked.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Looks like if you're playing parallel Agnes her ability can be used to help pay for Dark Memory, so if you go Advanced immediately you can pay the cost increase with blood.

Also Parallel Agnes rocks.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm just glad Return didn't have "Ancient Evils or you're Poisoned". Though that would be fully in character for that campaign. You can also try the houserule of playing them as Victory 0 cards, or maybe even play it as "Ancient Evils or Vengeance 1" which might actually be an interesting choice.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Get Over Here is the card I've turned around on the most since its release. I was unimpressed until I realized how great it was I could peel Aloof jerks at will and exactly how much action compression it offered. Nathanial makes it ridiculously strong.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I always described Diana as playing UW Control in Magic. You just sit there with a pile of counterspells and deny the game's right to do things to you. This actually works quite well in The Circle Undone because you can basically crash cards like Terror in the Mists and Daemonic Piping. Yes, Diana has a ramp-up time, but helpfully the cards you play to protect you during the period when you only have 1 or 2 Willpower are also the cards you use to power yourself up.

Also don't forget that timing rules mean that if you play Delay the Inevitable with your Dagger it still properly goes back underneath Diana when it triggers. Also that Deny Existence works on Terrible Secret because it says "Ignore" and not "Cancel".

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

jeeves posted:

Yeah, and the punch in the gut hard one from TCU

Which one is that?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

jeeves posted:

Wages of Sin

Whats your ranking of all scenarios ? https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comments/l8bz7z/whats_your_ranking_of_all_scenarios/

Surprisingly this author doesn’t rank anything from TFA as lowest, but you get the gist.

See, I thought it was that one, but I would describe Wages of Sin as "that extremely random pain in the neck".

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm not sure what you mean by R2 being a better ending, in that ending the PCs close the rift and save the world but never make it home. R1 is meant to be the best ending in so far as is the one you get for completing the Act deck.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Devourer Below is not highly regarded in part because you are usually better served in that scenario just letting the god come and just blowing them to hell. Still, glad you had a successful outing.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, Normal is coming as a regular investigator, not a book bonus. Now to wait for a two-year backlog of localized content to be released here.

Strength in Numbers looks like a Lola-ish card.

It makes more sense to reveal more broadly since they're dumping a ton of multiclass cards.

For those playing along at home it'll be Daniela Rayes the Mechanic as Guardian, Norman as Seeker, Monteray Jack as Rogue, Lily Chen, and Bob Jenkins is the Survivor.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SelenicMartian posted:

Is Monteray Jack the guy mentioned way back in TFA as one of the people you have to use as the expedition leader?

Yep. He's actually one of the player characters from the first edition of the Arkham Horror boardgame.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It's also blatantly the Battlestar Galactica board game, except done with a license they actually get to keep.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kalko posted:

And Dog :

Don't mind me, I'm just riding a dog sled through the streets of Arkham.

Surely not the weirdest thing the player characters have done in this game.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Edge of the Earth full spoilers are out:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U-Sca8iNOqBbJxLbywkxsjAN6mfSqpnqCX-CunrCY4Q/edit#gid=1786094096

Some of the stuff in there is WILD.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Golden Bee posted:

The new FAQ clarify something about research… You have to take the upgrade directly from your deck, even if someone else translated it it’s OK, but you can’t pick it like it with another level up card. Maybe that was already clear and I just had it wrong.

I think that's how it already worked, but your post isn't completely clear what you're asking...

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kalko posted:

One other bit of info :

The lead dev clarified that the 'non-Elite' part only applies to the movement here (it can do the +2 damage to Elites) and it'll be included in the next FAQ.

That is a really good clarification, and a very real buff on how the card was printed/interpreted.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

jeeves posted:

I’m about to reorganize my player cards in to binders after procrastinating for over a year and not adding in Dream Eaters + Inns + investigator decks

Wish me luck.

Godspeed.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

EotE style reprints confirmed for the prior cycles, Dunwich Legacy Player Box is planned for Q1 2022.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

LifeLynx posted:

I can't wait for big box style releases. I don't even know how to introduce the game to other people (if I was even comfortable playing in person). It's unapproachable right now. I wouldn't mind providing the encounter cards and knowing that everyone can buy big boxes of player cards.

Also I got to play with Occult Lexicon 3 tonight and it was incredible. Three testless damage when you need it, two and a reshuffle (to get re-found with Old Book of Lore) when you don't need to hit as hard. Daisy has only gotten better.

And the secret best part of Lexicon/Mirror (3)? The bonded cards remain in your hand/deck even if the Book/Mirror that fetch them go away.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

sirtommygunn posted:

Deal all the cards in my deck semi-randomly into 3 roughly even piles (more if I'm playing a large deck), stack them on top of each other, cut the deck, repeat all steps until satisfied with randomness.

Good old Pile Shuffle. I don't do it exactly like that, but pile shuffling is my go-to prior to a game.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

jeeves posted:

I wonder if Lita is still hidden away.

They actually packaged the respective scenario cards for the three NotZ scenarios into three separate plastic packages so Lita is bundled together with the cards for The Gathering instead of being apart from them.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nebrilos posted:

Is that why going to the police gives you more conviction? Because the police convict people of crimes?

Serious answer? You get Conviction for going to the police because you think it actually happened and so you're trying to do something about it. That's what Conviction measures, how much you actually truly believe what you're seeing is what's going on.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Black Stones posted:

My question would be, if I wanted a hero that had good intellect and evade, (obviously my trade off will be Willpower and Combat) what should I be looking for?

If you're looking for an investigator with that statline then your choices are Finn Edwards, Ursula Downs, and Trish Scarborough. The former two are in The Forgotten Age, the latter in The Innsmouth Conspiracy. Finn is a Rogue with very minor access to Survivor and Seeker cards who has a bonus action that can only be spent to evade (but has a Willpower of 1), Ursula Downs is a Seeker who gets to investigate as a reaction once per turn (but has mildly odd deckbuilding requirements), and Trish is a Rogue with 0-2 access to Seeker cards who gets bonuses to investigating when an enemy is around (and is cool).

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Black Stones posted:

Well, the last scenario just poo poo all over me. Roland got Frozen in fear almost right away and then a bunch of enemies hit the board and the doom put on them just zapped the agenda’s like crazy. I should have discarded Roland’s hand as he didn’t have a weapon right away, but the fact I couldn’t get rid of Frozen just screwed me as only able to do 2 actions a turn wasn’t helping.

I ended up resigning and just letting it go to poo poo which ended my campaign. The chaos bag just screwed me every pull. I ordered an expansion with some more characters and some of those starter character packs so maybe that helps me out a bit more. I had 9 cards in hand at one point with Roland and nothing I could do. Just getting smashed that hard and fast was just demoralizing.

Devourer Below is legitimately one of the worst scenarios in the entire library of the game. Losing it says nothing about the power of your deck and is wholly unrepresentative to future final scenarios.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Black Stones posted:

I assume the return to stuff makes the original campaigns that much harder and should probably be looked at when I have a better card pool?

Sometimes. It's definitely true for Night Of the Zealot and Path to Carcosa, so so for The Dunwich Legacy, but my experience is that Return to the Forgotten Age is actually easier and arguably better than the original (revised exploration deck, the possibility of getting a complete kit, giving you more options and a couple of the trickier scenarios.) Like, even if you don't have the Return to box for The Forgotten Age, I think I'd still recommend looking up and applying the changes they made to exploration to the regular version of those scenarios. It is amazing how much better it feels to play.

Can't speak to Return to the Circle Undone because I haven't played it, but at a glance just from the cards it seems like it might be a little bit easier just because there's a couple of ways you can pull additional rewards or circumvent particularly painful scenarios, and the revised encounter sets actually seem a little bit weaker in most cases and way less over focused on Will saves. And there's also the fact that accepting your fate is much less obnoxious in Return to.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Black Stones posted:

I tried the camping again and went with Skids who was way better than I thought, and Daisy. Daisy really held me back. That tome ability is good but I need tomes to use it and the tomes she comes with aren’t super great. I did a tiny bit better this time where I was able to not totally lose and chucked Lita at the monster.

I’m excited to try some scenarios that aren’t as brutal, and to get some more heroes and cards to build decks a bit more to how I want.

Don't forget if you're playing as Daisy to include some Research Librarians, they can act as your third and fourth copy of whatever books you use with her. And don't forget about him in general, Research Librarian actually has a lot of value in a variety of Seekers, I can point to three different characters in that class who get a lot of use out of them.

At the same time, of the base set five I think Daisy may have been the character who most appreciates new cards, especially more recent releases. Skids is also up there for a couple of reasons, but it took quite a while for them to print a decent number of tomes that could actually really benefit Daisy. In the game's nascency your only options for good tomes were Old Book of Lore (0) and Encyclopedia (2) that was it. And, while Book of Lore was and is a really good card for Daisy, nowadays you also have tomes that let you attack, tomes that let you draw cards in bulk, tomes that let you teleport, tomes that can potentially counterspell difficult mythos cards or delete enemies, and tomes that let you in theory gain clues or move damage onto monsters. They also added a level 0 version of Encyclopedia which may actually be better than the level 2 version in some respects just because it doesn't cost you experience.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Black Stones posted:

I have the revised core which only comes with one research librarian.

No, it should have two. One of them in the Daisy prebuilt and the other in the Roland. The Revised core comes with 2 copies of all the class specific cards and most neutral cards, 4 copies of the basic skills, and 10 knives and flashlights.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Black Stones posted:

Edit: I was also surprised to see the Mythos packs come with a small bit of player cards. I thought they were strictly scenario stuff.

Nope! This is the reason why the new reprint boxes have so many player cards promised in them.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

alansmithee posted:

Honestly I think the starter deck investigators make a good intro set. Maybe replace Cho with someone else more reliant on a traditional weapon, but I think they all work reasonably well and outside of Winni's deck they're not even bad builds.

I've always felt the best "starter" Guardian character was Zoey. She's functionally a Guardian 0-5 like Nathaniel but she likes weapons and guns and hurty things and has a straightforward kit built around going up to monsters and politely asking them to leave the mortal coil. Even her weakness is focused on killing things.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Golden Bee posted:

Murder starts with everybody in the same location, I’m not sure what you played? And the elite enemy starts in the lobby, not your starting space.

Murder actually does split the party, the lead starts in the room and everyone else starts in the foyer. And if he was playing as not to lead, it's very possible he could have been in the foyer and grabbed the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Black Stones posted:

The cyclopean hammer is insane. I’m pretty sure you get the + damage if you pass by a certain amount even against elites, correct? It’s just that you can’t move them.

This one was officially confirmed, you do get the parenthetical damage bonus even against elites if you get to that success threshold. The bit where it says "except elites" is meant to refer explicitly to the ability to thwack monsters into next week.