Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Has anyone had experience with running multiple campaigns in parallel using a shared card pool?

We've got one 4-player campaign going and we'd like to start a second one - with some different players playing a different cycle - but we don't want to have to deconstruct and reconstruct player decks before every session. How much extra stuff will we need to be able to run eight player decks without having to proxy entire decks? Would it be enough for someone to contribute a third and maybe fourth core set, or are we likely to find there're expansion cards that are so in demand that the two groups end up fighting over them?

The plan would be for the two campaigns to play disjoint sets of investigators, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Maybe swap in Resurgent Evils instead of Ancient Evils right away, though, especially if you're playing with a higher player count?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Not playing the third scenario at all seems extreme; I thought it had some interesting mechanics. Sure, you might not win, but if you're anything like our group you probably didn't win the first two scenarios either.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

by.a.teammate posted:

I was gonna buy this for me and my wife to play but she's a pretty light gamer. She likes the lore and all but I wanna check if there is an easy mode and/or deck building doesn't have to get too in depth?

There is an easy difficulty, though it's still not that easy; this is a Lovecraftian horror game, after all.

For deck building you can search ArkhamDB for high-rated decks that only use packs you have and just make a couple of those at the start of a campaign. You'll still need a little thought when you upgrade decks between adventures, but that's quite light in comparison and can usually come down to "I like this card, I'll upgrade it/buy another one or two like it"; you can generally only afford to change a couple of cards after each adventure so there's not much risk of being overwhelmed.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

alansmithee posted:

The thing I really wonder about however is how you play a game that tops out at 4 with 5 players.

The only thing limiting the game to four players is the number of cards you have, really; the game only has three meaningfully different roles, so unless there's some "if you have exactly N players" mechanic I've not seen in later campaigns five players doesn't seem like it'd be significantly worse than four.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Black stars rise, the penultimate adventure from Carc, doesn’t say in either Act how to finish the scenario. I’ve played it twice and don’t know if I legally beat it either time.

Are you missing some cards or something? Both Act 3A and Act 3C have a simple objective on the front that tells you when to advance them. Then the back of each just tells you to read a resolution, same as any other scenario.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

[...] you can use arcane studies to boost a stat that isn't relevant if you'd befit from something like dark horse by spending the resources.

I don't think this part is right? "A triggered ability can only be initiated if its effect has the potential to change the game state [...]. This potential is assessed without taking into account the consequences of the cost payment or any other ability interactions." Boosting your Willpower in an Evasion test doesn't have the potential to change the game state unless you take into account the consequences of the cost payment or some other ability interaction.

edit: Though for the original question, the rulings on Lockpick and similar cards in ArkhamDB do make it seem like the answer is yes. Unlike boosting an irrelevant stat the effect of boosting your Willpower during a Read the Signs test does have the potential to change the game state.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 25, 2020

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

Check out the FAQ listed for Dark Horse: https://arkhamdb.com/card/02234

Huh; you're right, that seems clear enough, but it's a weird ruling. Why does the rule I quoted even exist, then? If it doesn't even prevent Dark Horse cost-as-a-benefit shenanigans, what does it prevent?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I can't see draft working without investigators designed specifically for it; with regular deckbuilding restrictions you would be in a constant state of "my pool is Seeker and only one of these cards is Seeker so I guess that's the one I'm taking".

The Netrunner draft identities seemed to handle the faction problem quite well, but they had the advantage that they only needed to be balanced against each other; I don't know how you would go about balancing a "level 0 cards from any class" investigator against existing Arkham scenarios.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Five Eyes posted:

When something like Galvanize or Ursula's ability lets you no-bold-text "fight" or "investigate", do they mean the basic action, or can you use events and assets which fight, etc?

Should be the latter: An ability that says "[action symbol]: Fight" is both an activate action and a fight action, so you can use it even if there's an effect like Galvanize which only lets you take fight actions. That's also why activating weapons doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity.

For Ursula it's a little less clear, but the FAQ clarifies that yes, you can use investigate abilities on cards when her ability triggers.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Note that the damage/heal provokes attacks of opportunity, so it's only free if the enemy is aloof or engaged with another investigator.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

KongGeorgeVII posted:

If you commit deduction to the deciphered reality test you will get a total of 4 clues at your current location

I never realized Deciphered Reality isn't a replacement effect; that's really counter-intuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
To be fair Sophie definitely does a lot more of the heavy lifting than Mark does.