Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Rad Valtar posted:

So I just got the core set with the first two scenerio packs and plan on grabbing the first expansion. I need some advice on storage solutions. Is it worth it to get one from broken token or are there other ways that are better?

Standard cardboard boxes. Broken token dividers are insanely expensive and will run out of room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I forget, is the Unique pip per player or for the table as a whole?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Most likely conservative initial print. It is a co-op game after all, and 2 coresets handle 4 people.

Plus I'm sure the subsequent international shipping fiasco with Banjo going bankrupt haven't helped.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Plavski posted:

You can pitch it by replacing it. You can get it out, chuck it for a fire axe and scavenge it back for committing or playing again.

But that does nothing. Less than nothing even. You have the spend the click to install the Fire Extinguisher, then you install the Fire Axe, trash the extinguisher, then get it back via scavenging when you could get back an item that you actually want and are pitching for pips. Like Rabbit Foot.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

Daisy just went from The Best to No, Seriously, The Best

Every person who has played Daisy in our 4-player games gets interminably bored. She may as well be a bit for how her turns go.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Continuing FFG's proud tradition of making rulings in social media than making the opposite ruling in FAQs. Ignore that it's a ruling I agree with. (weaknesses and player elimination)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Better than Dodge except if you're trying to save a friend.

I would hope so, given the XP cost.

Any word yet on when a restock of the Miskatonic Museum is expected? Makes sequential play a little difficult if chapter 4 is missing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Spoilers posted: https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comments/5zlh6u/spoiler_essex_county_express_investigator_cards/

Switchblade looks legit. Art Student and Deduction certainly interesting.

Care to share in thread?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Plavski posted:

Arkham Horror won best tabletop game at the SXSW Gaming Awards. That's nice for them.

Everytime I think SXSW can't self-fellate any harder I'm surprised. Gaming awards?

So glad I'm out of that scene now.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Obama 2012 posted:

If you're impatient, Fantasy Flight's retail store in MN is my FLGS and they have copies of everything in stock right now. I've sent a couple of items out to other goons in the thread already. Send me a PM if you need anything.

Thanks Obama.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

I feel the typewriter is a flavor fail, should've been a scoped rifle. Spending ammo instead of actions would've fit the Tommy gun better.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
He really needs a police badge so he can sullenly say he's too old for this poo poo and turn in his badge.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Baron Snow posted:

drat. Picking up 8 clue tokens on one action was super satisfying too. I'll have fix it before the next adventure.

Could have another investigator commit it to the test.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Chairman Pow! posted:

When I spend XP to upgrade a card, is the XP cost per copy of that card, or per playset of the card?

Per copy. You don't have to upgrade all versions of a card at once.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm kind of torn between which of those new rogue cards I want in my Jenny Barnes deck first. Upgraded Opportunist x2 (which would also give others the chance to put the level 0 cards in their deck), or get some "Lucky" dice in? Quick thinking is really nice as well though...

Paper + pen proxies. Screw the deck building shuffle.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Obama 2012 posted:

'Community Service' I call it. Maybe I can build up enough karma to somehow get my hands on Marie Lambeau!

If anybody else is having trouble finding AH expansions in stock, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

You're good people, you got me for two packs. As before, thanks Obama.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Obama 2012 posted:

I dunno... wouldn't that be using Teamwork in a 4 person game to take 2 pathfinders from every other player so you have 8?

Is that even legal? It shouldn't be...

Teamwork can only exchange Assets with the Ally or Item subtype.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Anyone has a list of 4 decks that you can make with a complete (2 cores) collection? I have a 4 player game coming tomorrow, I'm bad at deckbuilding, busy tonight and usually play 2 player. :supaburn:

For the core set, simply make 4 mono decks with 10 neutrals each. If you want you can have the odd one out get picked over for bits. That is, if you don't use Daisy you can give the detective some of her kit.

For my money the best would be Daisy, Skids, Agnes, abd Survivor Girl. Give Skids weapons from the guardian pile and you've got a reasonably balanced team.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Sorry, badly explained. I have all the published stuff, plus an extra core. Thanks for trying, though :3:

I'd still say keep it mono-color to each deck, with heavy focus on core set cards. Maybe some exceptions for some of the expansion cards (cough, ritual candles, cough). Make it clear with each deck "this is what my faction focuses on."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Interesting concept. Don't know if they'll see play outside of characters with very low Sanity like Roland. Losing the draw is a very big deal. If they overrode the auto-fail then that'd be a huge thing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

So the Red Gloved man is LoTR's Gandalf?

While being a bit less ubiquitous​ due to the whole experience cost.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Are character cards considered cards for gameplay purposes? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but given FFG history and things like ID cards in Netrunner not counting as cards I want to clarify.

Edit: Also the writers don't remember how Direct Damage works when pointing out the interaction between Sophia (In Loving Memory) and True Grit.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 18, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Hey guys, Dunwich Legacy question (spoilers for first 2 scenarios)

We decided to search the University first. The clover club agendas specify that we skip 2b and proceed straight to 2c. However 2a is what shuffles the abominations into the encounter deck.

when it says "skip to" does that mean "go directly to" or "immediately process all steps between?"

We're doing the latter because otherwise 2b makes no sense.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Any thoughts on Strange Solutions? It feels like the 4 experience cost makes it not worth running. I've still got them in a Rex deck having just finished part 6 of the Dunwich Horror and I've never felt spending a scenario's worth of xp on it was worthwhile.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alansmithee posted:

The problem I have with Rogue cards is that a few of the better ones are super-expensive (including the exceptionals). They also run event heavy, which kinda mitigates the impact imo of some-it shouldn't matter but paying 3-4 xp for a one time effect feels a bit worse to me than say, getting upgraded shrivelling. I don't think they have too much in the way of intermediate upgrades outside of getting switchblades. I believe the lvl. 1 card in the next set will be very helpful, assuming I'm remembering correctly what it is lockpicks.

Switchblades and Leo 1s are my early upgrades for Rogue.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Pete and Duke are absolutely monstrous. They work well in a group filling in the holes or playing cleanup, or solo thanks to Duke's versatility and strength. I've tried mixing him with every other color and they all work well. Favorite investigator by far right now. I usually build him with a large variety of skill cards instead of going hard on any one aspect and it works really well. Unexpected Courage and Lucky! are a must for him and will give you many clutch saves. Dark Horse can also be really good, as I usually play aggressively with resources and buffing him across the board is great.

Jack of all trades master of a good dog.

Lucky! is also one of the strongest level zero cards in the game. Anything that can affect a skill test after the token is pulled is amazing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
With that last question I seriously recommend rereading the instructions. If you're missing where weaknesses go (in your deck) and think you need to exceed (rather than equal or exceed) difficulty numbers to succeed in checks it is very likely you are making many other rules mistakes.

Which is fine. We all gently caress up some FFG rules the first few times playing. But we aren't going to be able to identify all mistakes made.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

I found the answer; they kind of hid it though near the end of the Learn to Play guide. FFG doesn't do a good job imho with their learn to play guides, or atleast the placement of their information. :shrug:

No worries, like I said there are always rules to miss in FFG games.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Got to play a full labyrinths game yesterday, it's a really cool concept but the execution is a bit off. I'm sure part of that is the group we were in could have been better coordinated as well in terms of setup but there were a few times where we were a bit dumbfounded on how the game did stuff. I hope they do another in the future that learns from this one.

Huh?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Quidthulhu posted:

So is the game designed to always be a straight shot through Core -> Dunwich with scenarios & the same decks, or is it:

Core scenarios

REBOOT

Dunwich core -> mythos packs

I ask because after I finish the core I'm gonna start it over again with 2-decking, and I am wondering if I should do core then build new decks over for dunwich & reboot, or what.

Reboot. The capstones of each campaign appear to leave significant marks, enough so that certain characters would be really hard pressed to continue, infinite experience points or otherwise.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

I'm honestly starting to think it's impossible to win the core campaign solo with one core box/starter decks. I even shifted down to easy with Roland and face planted at the Ghoul Priest because I drew nothing but library related cards.

Closest I got was Skids, who at least landed a punch on Umordhoth before being smeared on a cave wall.

We did fine on normal. Though we either sacrificed our arsonist guide or disrupted the ritual the first time, no way could we take down the Ancient One.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ShaneB posted:

I'm struggling to think of what it is besides Dynamite Blast, but that's only 3 damage, and maybe a Fire Axe? Shotgun requires XP...

It's literally one of the cards you set aside at the beginning of the scenario.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

The whole 'second core set' thing still gets on my nerves as a concept. They know 60% of the cards in every group's 2nd, 3rd and 4th core set will never be used. They'd rather print a shitload of unnecessary cardboard (and all the tokens and rulebooks) than just release a slightly cheaper box of just the core investigator cards. You can still get people to buy multiple sets but it cuts out the insane waste.

C'mon down to Steve's Dead Horse Lot. We have a fine variety of dead horses that you can beat on to your heart's content.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Single Tight Female posted:

Speaking of Overzealous, I hate Overzealous. Every other weakness you see what's coming before turn one, scenario one, and can tweak your deck accordingly after that mission. Overzealous hits randomly every time, twice.

Maybe that's the point. :(

Edit: parts of this may not apply depending on how you resolve Indebted

Wait you put both copies of overzealous into your deck?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Don't support this alt-card promo bullshit.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Radish posted:

I wouldn't have a problem if these things were for showing up to events, prizes, or something along those lines.

You should.

Alt-art is one thing. Functionally different cards are a bad path to go down.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

Okay, good, that's what I figured. Thanks.

Also, let's say I've spent 6XP on upgraded cards in between scenarios 1 and 2. In between scenarios 2 and 3 I have 3XP more to spend, but I'm unhappy with how my initial upgraded card choices are working out and I want to buy something more expensive than 3XP. Can I give up my initial upgrades and regain the 6XP, so that I can spend 9XP in total, or does that 6XP disappear altogether once it's spent initially?

RAW it is spent, and no refunds are given. You only get a discount when upgrading a card with the same name as the card you are taking out for it.

You are of course free to do whatever, especially if a card was misread at first or whatnot.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I recommend Ultrapro, if only because FFG sleeves are cut ever so slightly long for some reason.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Wait, Netflix got a cooperative expansion? I thought it got a campaign expansion that was still 1v1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Zerf posted:

Also, Stick to the plan. Possibly the best card in the game after Higher Education?

Stick to the Plan looks incredible. Even if it's only a Prepare for the Worst and a pair of On The Hunts it is incredibly powerful.

I feel like it should have at least increased the deck size by some amount.