Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I feel like it’s hard to get that hammer in scenarios where it would be amazing, like knocking an enemy effectively four turns away during IN TOO DEEP*. Maybe edge of the Earth has huge maps that I do not people into two weeks ago.

* A single copy is probably half your XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

Having seen EotE's campaign guide? Yes, holy poo poo does it have some gargantuan maps. There's a couple of scenarios that are as large as In Too Deep if not larger.

Try not to read it, but I’m thinking a trio of Luke, Pilfer Rita, Sled Dog Leo.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s almost impossible to get every ghost in the graveyard. TCU is tough and that might be the toughest one. It also gets easier with more players, which allows you to do more things and handle the boss more easily.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Only the stat you’re actually testing, not the one you’re adding.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

They all have good fixes, I would go for the one that has the player cards you like. The main TFA fix was starting the explore deck at five cards and adding a treachery each time you successfully explore, as well as letting you spend the bonus exploration budget after part three to heal trauma.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Just ran well-connected(3) Sefina through a custom campaign. C. R. E.A.M. Preston and Jenny build up money much more slowly (albeit steadily) than Sef can.

Double double pairs so well with all the $ cards.
21 or bust is wild, even better with token manipulation. +$7 for an action is wild. Doubling it for using it and something else via painted world is even crazier.

Cheat the system is a zero action ecache, and it’s easy enough to get 4 traits. (Unscrupulous loan is survivor, the new seeker/mystic spell is level one). You get to a point where you just can’t spend the money anymore and your bonuses are letting you pass two checks a round… the issue is that stars of Hyades is a rough weakness and you can’t really avoid it forever. Maybe with a seeker any upgraded scroll of of secrets it would be easier to ditch.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 28, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I would go with Jim/Jaq and Zoey taking two copies of “you owe me one“. She instantly can become a back-up mystic, and it’s different from the combo you just played.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I have a super fancy iPhone and those lines look identically colored.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Make sure to pack Delay the inevitable in Yorrick. You’re going to be happy you did.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Mind over matter can’t help you during the mythos phase. It starts with “play during your turn.”
But we’ e had a lot of luck with it in Norman in edge of the earth though, which has dex treacheries that you test at the end of your turn.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Jaqueline and Banks are a great combo, I ran them through Carcosa.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Edge of the earth has some really intriguing scenarios. Entering part three, they seem to reward completely different things, but speed and doing a ton of damage are both vital.

Not much of a spoiler, but the first scenario has a lot of ancient evils, so we ran Lily Diana and Ursula. loving annoying.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

New characters make old cards good again. Flesh ward is hard to run outside of Daniela but with her it’s amazing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

I lost a scenario to drawing Ancient Evils, reshuffling the encounter deck, and drawing another one. After cancelling two earlier in the game. Got me considering one of the Return To replacement encounter sets that are punishing but fun.

I'd back you 100%. Too random.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Compass Minh with ancestral knowledge and hiding spot. Probably a scroll of secrets(3) because ditching your weakness is always a good move. Big hand or fast draw are both great options, pair it with someone who can take enchant weapon and use it on the blackjack(2). You don’t wanna engage enemies in this campaign.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I’m curious what justify the means in Amanda’s deck could do. Give sister Mary the card that turns curses into blesses and trap everything or Hallow madly.

Diana got sixth sense(4) and we kind of have to build turns around her getting 3-6 clues and eliminating everything that prevents her from doing that.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Cuz then you’d play as him.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

We got absolutely pummeled in EOTE. Might not be the best move to put all your eggs in the “amazing five XP weapon“ basket.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I love cornered in Silas, because his card draw can be wild with unrelenting.

Sword cane is amazing Gloria, covers up for a week stats for everything that you can’t nope by manipulating the encounter deck.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Absolutely. In Carcosa, it can save you a minimum of two actions with the card that adds two doom to a location. And done which, it can block infinite corridor‘s which suck if they’re in the middle of the school, on the train, or in the lobby of the museum.

Having a thing in your hand for later isn’t a huge problem unless you’re running some sort of big hand Daisy. Canceling a card that can:
attach to location with haunted,
summon enemies, attack your hand or assets,
or summon enemies indirectly is one of the advantages of being mystic.

We brought Diana to edge of the earth and she has canceled some real bruising encounters.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

In scenarios with bad tokens, canceling a skill test by itself, especially when you’re likely to fail, is a great use of your cards cash and horror.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Amanda is so much fun. I tried building big hands with her last time, and that’s less effective than building up good board state and using Eureka thrice or even four times if there’s an encounter card. Her and Silas are team skillz, and in some situations quick study is a +3 with very little cost, especially when paired with hiking boots.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

1🔑 /party.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You don’t lose the campaign if you lose that scenario, right?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Or take mind blank out of the binder.

Edge of the Earth added and highlighted survivor cards that let you defeat, reshuffle or perma-tap monsters without sending them to the discard pile. It’s especially good for Silas, who doesn’t want to take sledgehammer because his signature assets take his hand slots.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 18, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There’s a lot of luck there. I’ve heard otherwise sterling campaigns end in that place.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I would include someone who can either attack with spells or use relics. And can who handle mental treacheries.
—-
Daniela absolutely loves the Guardian skill that gives you three wild evade or three wild attacks, and if you miss you get attacked. All upside.
—-
Finished EOTE yesterday. Doing it all at once instead of over months create a much more coherent experience. The NPC‘s get a lot more breathing room than TCU or TFA. Which is good, cuz there are nine of them, but only one or two central mysteries in each campaign. The enemies are challenging too, and not just in a “find a way to do more damage quicker“ way.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I would get edge of the earth because it’s complete in one box. Although the player card box is good too.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I haven’t dove into the line by line, but it’s certainly more exhaustive than original post. I like it. There are a few “:” errorsx

If you’re going for an OP you don’t have to edit a lot, you should change the EOTE description to this:
You’ve volunteered for the Dyer expedition to Antarctica. If you’re able to survive the blistering cold, there are worse things beneath the ice. Mountaineering, finding camp, and dealing with your own psychosis are equally important. The campaign starts with nine partner allies, who will live and die depending on your choices.

I would also be less glib about Innsmouth, trying something like this:

Innsmouth introduces bless and cursed tokens, which can give you great rewards but will throw off your bag analysis. It’s told in a back-and-forth flashbacks, adding confusion and replayability. Can you uncover the dark conspiracy in the town of Innsmouth? Or will you drown beneath the waves?

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 25, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Doesn’t get rid of traits, which are things like monster, Miskatonic, or humanoid.

It DOES get rid of Hunter, aloof, retaliate and alert!

Which can be extremely useful since they can target an enemy at any location. That can include Wizards that gain doom at the end of the mythos phase.
Funnily enough, mind blank(3) reduce peoples horror, makes interrogating them easier. “Now that you have amnesia, tell me everything you know.”

And since it only lasts a phase, you can get rid of retaliate for investigator, then have something attack you In the enemy phase… And kill it with the survival knife or sk(2), sending its victory points to the pile.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

I’m playing with a friend through tcu again, this time we are Winnifred & Jaqueline instead of Preston and Diana. Jaqueline is so amazing but her weakness can really get your goat. Even with olive and using he ability, drawing nine of the 16 tokens in the Chaos bag, I’ve been unable to draw the elder sign multiple turns in a row. Other times, I draw my weakness at the end of my turn and immediately test it and beat it.

Two player, you’re really often in different places, which means we haven’t been able to do a predict the future style, scrying mirror double or nothing. But that’s coming.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

His elder sign lets him get his events back. Getting your guardian access to the elder sign consistently is a team effort!

I’m finding Jaqueline extremely hard to play at high xp. She has a lot of abilities that you want to put them down, but no ability to play events or assets faster than normal.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Dexter can afford it, he likes temporary lot stuff. And he can use it with succeed by x financial cards like watch this or Gregory.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Curse magic is great with her. Or paradox covenant.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think that would be true of anyone who can take every bless/curse card

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The second scenario thing is tricky, because those cards are all really really good. And with things like black market or Bob, you can spread them around the party.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

That card is better with fewer players. You get to use everything out of play, which is tremendously flexible.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

After a run through Carcosa that ended at the asylum, I think it’s very hard to run Patrice in a smaller party. She can succeed at anything but she doesn’t have much action compression or easy damage. Also, it’s extremely hard to run Dexter flexibly, so many assets want to run in different directions.

We could’ve had more luck using portals but with EOTE there are lots of new travel options, mostly in seeker.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah you brought two seekers to a campaign with more than average spawns. That’s gonna be a bad time.

Summoned hound or the new EOTE card that gives you fast actions depending on Synergy is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Arkham The card game: go crazy building Dexter