Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I really like the 24 act cards idea to be honest. Should be a very replayable scenario.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Really wonder what Silas' deck building restrictions are.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The correct answer is Charisma.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It's mostly a card pool size issue I think. Similarly we could really do with more Guardian allies. Or Rogue events. Or non-Mystic accessories. Or really anything in the body slot.

Edit:

Just did some crawling through the card pool on ArkhamDB and I didn't actually realize that out of all the skills printed, only 7 have required experience. Of those, 5 are the lvl 2 upgrades to the iconic core set skills. The remaining two are Stroke of Luck (2), which is an exile to (pretty much) succeed a skill test card, and Seal of the Elder Sign (5), which is a remove from game to (pretty much) succeed a skill test card.

Survivors have gotten more skills then any other faction and they just haven't printed more than a literal single high level skill card so far which was released in Dim Carcosa. Maybe it took them a while to figure out where exactly they wanted the power level of inherently pretty-much-single-use-cards-that-cost-XP?

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 26, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

For the reason you point out, Pete and Jenny make a pretty good team also. Jenny needs some XP upgrades and some in-game setup time to really do her thing, at which point she rolls face. Meanwhile Pete is good to come right out of the gate swinging like a madman.

Plus you get to play a trust fund dilettante and a hobo smashing eldritch horrors. So what's not to like?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

That's definitely more than enough.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Akachi's stats allow her to do good with a backup weapon like a knife which you then upgrade into a Spirit Athame. Let's you deal with small enemies without having to use Shrivelling charges for everything.

Also, Alchemic Transmutation is really only worth it explicitly as a way for Akachi to have cheap access to charges, imo. I guess it doubles as a in-case-of-total-emergency piggy bank. Though to be honest, I like Scrying more as a cheap source of charges.

Also also, if somehow this still isn't enough charges, you are better off adding Arcane Initiate to draw your spells more consistently rather than adding more spells with charges.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Single Tight Female posted:

Yeah I just ran no hand items at all planning to xp into Spirit Athame later so ended up Shrivelling rats. Arcane Initiate's in the deck it just whiffed like four times, nbd. Alchemical did feel like overkill though, especially with both Emergency Cache and Uncage the Soul in deck. In my defense my last two runs were as Jenny then Minh so my sense of economy is hosed.

This is all good advice so thanks, I just wasn't prepared for her weakness at all.

If you are playing on normal being 2 over the check is good enough odds. So Akachi can just fist-fight rats even without a weapon and save the Shrivelling charges.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

So over easter my group wants to bang out the entire Dunwhich Campaign. I am planning on playing Mark Harrigan and just want some advice never having played a guardian before. This will be a 4 player game so I am not going to do anything other than murder people.

You've already correctly identified that Mark Harrigan doesn't really need skills and is really good with assets that can soak damage. I don't know what difficulty y'all plan to play, but if it's Normal and probably also Hard, you can go even more all-in on this. Ie. ditch the Overpowers.

Keep in mind that Dunwich places 2 specific requirements on your character if you want to make it out alive:
1. You need good willpower to be able to do pretty much anything against the Broods.
2. You need to be able to collect some clues to get out of the last scenario alive.

With that in mind, give some extra consideration to Police Badge or some way to trade resources for Willpower as upgrade options.

Also, if your plan to grab clues is going to be Flashlights throughout the entire campaign (definitely doable) then you need to already be thinking about your handslots right now. Mark can do really really well with a Shotgun, especially now that you can guarantee Extra Ammo. Getting two Shotguns is expensive though, so you are probably better off starting with at least 1x Prepared for the Worst right from the get-go and placing this on your Stick to the Plan once you get it. As a bonus Prepared for the Worst can get you Intellect icons.

Anyway, hand slots, if you are going Shotgun or Lightning Gun (and again I like the Shotgun more on Mark) you'll need a Bandolier or two. And while this card is not efficient in a level 0 deck, it is more XP efficient for you to include it from the start than to grab it later. I suppose you can use it as a less good Overpower for the first bunch of scenarios.

You're running some cards I just flat out don't like, like First Aid and Beat Cop (0). Beat Cop might be justified for no other reason than having another draw to get clues with in The House Always Wins though.

In general I feel like you might be bringing too much horror healing. In our Carcosa campaign Mark was just making GBS threads out allies (Guard Dog, Beat Cop (2), Brother Xavier) left and right and used them as ablative horror armour. Didn't bring any horror healing and it worked out fine. The Smoking Pipe isn't bad though, up to you.

Between Dogs and Cops you can actually do a whole bunch of damage without checks. This means you can use actions for moves and kill fools who attack of opportunity you while being rewarded for the damage your allies are taking. This is very efficient. As such, I think having both Elusive and Shortcut is too many movement cards, especially for Dunwich. Elusive is also on the expensive side for Mark. Taunt however really has some value in 4-player Dunwich.

Mark Harrigan is really, really good with Assets that soak HP. He needs economy though. Ever Vigilant is amazing economy for Mark as long as he runs enough Assets. It's also a card you want on your Stick to the Plan. Just be sure you're packing enough Assets right from the start.

As for your questions:
A) Nah.
B) Dodge can soak a big horror hit + protect other people from poo poo. A lot better than First Aid.
C) No. Vicious Blow and The Home Front are the only skills that carry their weight for Mark, imo.
D) First Aid, Elusive, Overpower, maybe Smoking Pipe. Get rid of True Grit once you add Charisma and Brother Xavier.

Upgrade Plan:
1. 1x Ever Vigilant for 1x Emergency Cache
2. 1x Stick to the Plan, place 1x Ever Vigilant, 1x Emergency Cache and 1x Prepared for the Worst on it.
3. 1x Charisma, 2x Beat Cop (2) and 2x Brother Xavier.
4. 2x Stand Together
5. Police Badge(s) somewhere here maybe?
6. 1x Shotgun + 1x Extra Ammo replacing the Emergency Cache on the Stick to the Plan.
7. 1x Keen Eye for the last scenario.
8. Vicious Blow (2) I guess. You can also go a second Charisma. You should already be wrecking all the faces at this point.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 28, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Just make sure you also recycle Grotesque Statues when doing that with Jim. Not the quickest start (both campaign and in-scenario wise) but drat if it doesn't get insanely powerful.

I think the main issue is not being able to tutor for the Key unless you get generous help from a Seeker friend. Take too many Desperate cards which become blanks without one of those 2 copies of the Key and your deck starts to fall apart quick.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I don't think all the characters have to be strong as long as they are interesting.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Essex county express remains one of my favorite scenario's.

It's challenging, it's very much build around it's theme which it executes so well and it's different from other scenario's. Just too bad about them loving up the math on the doom a bit which means you can theoretically die on your first Mythos phase in 4 player.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

RE: Latest spoilers, if you aren't putting a backpack inside a backpack you're doing it wrong, imo.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I'm pretty sure you want Milan or Alyssa Graham over Leo in a solo run. Leaning towards Milan since Jenny can leverage that money and doesn't particularly need to avoid anything.

Also Lupara's are amazing, get them early.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Oh also just read your thoughts on Lockpicks and I disagree, especially in solo mode. Most locations only have 1 clue, some have 2. So in solo a lot of times your turn has a move action and an investigate action and then <something else>. In light of that, a single good investigate check per round is often sufficient. You can supplement this by pumping resources into Streetwise for those few turns where you do need multiple investigate checks.

Also if you hate the second Lone Wolf, it's still worth it to include a single copy, no?

Also also, for a fun exercise, read back your own post and see how often you mention Leo and in what context. To me it reads very much like basically your whole deck is build around Leo. As in, he forces you to decide on certain economy cards and forces you down an upgrade path because his cost isn't compatible with the cost of other good cards. Furthermore I think the having more actions is the reason you discount Lockpicks as you're looking to investigate more often.

Now sure, Leo is very strong, but you have no way to tutor for him so basically building your whole deck concept around him, as you appear to have (perhaps not conciously?) done is very risky, for reasons you acknowledge in your post.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 16, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Why are you comparing Lone Wolf to Watch This rather than Emergency Cache anyway? Emergency Cache is such a meh card.

It's the economy card you go to when you have literally no other options and in a very few corner cases.

Kalko posted:

edit : thinking about this some more, I think I was gravitating towards a general strategy of 'more actions with lower chance of success' vs 'fewer actions with higher chance of success' and I think it's because I wasn't able to game the token bag like I could with Wendy or Mark Harrigan, by which I just mean as Jenny it's harder to do consistent tests where you've accounted for the biggest negative modifier because her stats aren't as good. Does that make sense? I guess it's the wrong way to think about this stuff.

I do understand where you're coming from with this logic. Having played a lot of Netrunner my first assumption was also that quantity of actions would be very strong. However, especially when playing on Hard or Expert, you quickly find that actually quality of actions is more important. Only once you have solid quality of actions does quantity become super strong as you would expect it to be. Losing an action + resources (either literal resources or card commits) to a failed check is just really costly and bad stuff happening due to a chaos token just seals the deal.

If you're spending cards + resources to generate extra actions and you end up using those actions to draw extra cards, something has probably gone wrong.

As for your point about Jenny not being able to game the token bag? She totally can though, with her money and cards like Streetwise. Lockpicks + investigate with Streetwise = 2 investigate actions at 6 intellect. And you can do this every turn. If you add in Milan you're doing it at 7 intellect and only sporadically losing a resource here and there. If you add in Leo instead you have an extra action instead to uhh, do something with I guess?

Note how if you have Leo as a second ally he'd be amazing. If you can afford him, which is a big if.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 16, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Kalko posted:

If affordability is part of the issue with Leo, how do you feel about Leo XP1 as a late upgrade after you get Charisma?

My mind isn't really made up yet on Leo(1). I see basically 2 upsides over Leo(0):
1. 1 resource cheaper
2. Makes it possible to play Leo turn 1 without spending actions taking resources

The second of those is stronger than the first, however we've already concluded Leo is most valuable as a second ally, so unless you're Skids combining him with an Ever Vigilant this is not as relevant an upside at it seems, and even that is extremely cornercase.

So we're left with the first point, which is spending XP for economy. At that point it's fair to compare this XP value to other economy options available for XP, and that comparison doesn't make Leo(1) look so great either. That said, if you need just a bit more economy and either already included the other options or don't have the card slots for them, this is an option.

In general also, while I did point out that Leo is great as a second ally, I do also tend to think Cat Burglar is even better, for 3 reasons:
1. His ability is amazing, gives you extra options and can net you more than 1 action, especially in solo.
2. He boosts an important ability, which synergises with Lockpicks and in case of Lockpicks also with Milan. This means you can get base +4 on on those 4 shroud locations if you get the full combo.
3. In case you don't draw Milan but do draw Lockpicks, you can still get to that base 7 investigate, which is more useful than if you didn't draw Milan but did draw Leo.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Silver Twilight Acolyte is lowkey one of the most dangerous enemies in the game.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I feel like she is a huge include for Jenny decks.

Between her and Lockpicks you can be the main investigator in a 2 player group easily. If your Mystic and Survivor make sure to stock up on their clue-finding cards as well you could even main for a 4-man group, cutting out the Seeker.

Probably not optimal, but should be a different and fun experience.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The more I think about it, the more I'm concluding that the biggest benefit of Leo(1) is that you get a benefit for spending XP to put him in your deck later during a campaign. I guess Adaptable undercuts this somewhat, but eh.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Eh, it's not like Mystics really need cards from out of faction to do their thing and his statline is fine.

I'm thinking the best use for his base 5XP is to either spread them out over as many cards as possible or combo it with tutoring to get a high impact card. The first seems more likely with the current card pool, and Spirit Athame is easily the top contender here. Being able to start with 2x Shrivelling + 1x or 2x Song of the Dead is also interesting, as it means he doesn't have to pack a back-up weapon to still consistently draw damage. Speaking of consistency, sealing away non-Skull tokens certainly improves Song of the Dead, but I'm not sure it's good yet.

High impact cards would probably be Jewel of Aureolus, Grotesque Statue or Key of Ys, if only there was a way to guarantee drawing them reasonably early.

A way to guarantee getting your XP cards early is to put it in a Permanent. Candidates are Charisma, Relic Hunter and Blood Pact. Between Holy Rosary, Jewel of Aureolus and St. Hubert's Key, Mystics clearly have a strong selection of Accessories to make use of that Relic Hunter, though these do tend to be expensive and the Rosary and the Key do such similar things. Charisma seems alright in solo, letting you take Alyssa and some Initiates. Probably not great for multiplayer until Olive McBride is released though. Speaking of, she seems to work wonderfully with Mateo. Lastly due to being able to start with Blood Pact, Mateo is probably the best Mystic to go down the doom manipulation route, starting with Moonlight Ritual and either Alyssa or David Renfield. This deckbuilding route badly needs another card or two to support it before it seems worthwhile though.

So uhh, long story short, Mateo's 5XP for now seems best spend on cards other Mystics would like to get as well, with Spirit Athame being really stand-out good. With just one or two more cards to support existing design ideas though, those 5XP might let Mateo explore completely new deck concepts without having to gimp himself for the first scenario.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Zerf posted:

I feel like we're getting closer to a build for Mystics which wants to draw/not draw certain tokens, and Jim so far seems like the best candidate. He has about 64% odds of triggering Song of the Dead (again, depending on chaos bag setup) with Olive. The question is if it's worth to also run Ritual Candles in him as well in such a build, since positive numbers can nullify bad token pulls. Heck, such a build might even want to run Inspiring Presence, just to untap Olive again. Throw in Grotesque Statue and Scavenging and you should be able to see the tokens you want with quite high (although unreliable) frequency.

I'm pretty sure the math on Ritual Candles works out such that they are worse with Jim, and not all that great with anyone else.

Kalko posted:

I feel like Agnes wants Peter Sylvestre to preserve her own sanity for pinging (and she really wants the 2XP version with the +1 willpower) so that kind of rules out the Initiate. Also, Carcosa seems to have a lot of single clue locations so you're not really getting full use out of Rite of Seeking or Drawn to the Flame but they're still the most reliable way to grab clues so they stay. The problem is when you don't draw them your investigating really suffers. I tried Lantern for a while as a mini-Flashlight that had some ping synergy but it's not great so I guess I just put Flashlight in the deck?

Well discounting Charisma, think of it this way: you never want to replace Peter with Initiate. But is the reverse true? Not only no, but having an extra way to dump the Initiate and her doom is actually a good thing.

So is it worth it to run Initiate? As you point out, without spells you are really not very useful as most Mystics, let alone solo. Initiate gives you another opening draw option to get spells out quickly. So that's a big yes. But what about Peter? Well, is he really an ally you want down with the highest priority? Clearly not, as even his 2XP version does very little for you if you do not have spells in the first place. Alright, but now we might be drawing Initiate's later in the game when we already have our spells and possibly Peter has already been played. Well it's not ideal, but if we already have our spells, I'm sure that +1 Willpower can be put to use, no?

A very related side lesson to learn here is: if you are in a situation where you don't have spells but do have Peter in hand and you decide to play him rather than using that action to draw for spells, you are making a mistake.What I've noticed in how my friends play is that while they do think about card value and what they want their fully set up board to look like, they don't give the order in which they achieve that end state much thought, and often end up having very durdly early turns unless they draw their whole combo right away. Being decisive about your priorities is key to success in this game imo.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 30, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Yes, but that might change when you draw three take two.

I don't think so. While it's true their effective bonus might increase from +1 to +2, the main problem with the candles is that the icon tokens tend to have some of the biggest negative modifiers in the first place. So the candles rarely push you from unfavorable to favorable odds to take the test in the first place. Ie. when the candles are most effective, your odds weren't terrible to begin with.

Now additionally, if the tokens the candles work on are some of the worst draws in the chaos bag to begin with, while it might be true that they are 100% more effective if you end up resolving two of those tokens, the net result is likely you still being hosed.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I'm going to just type another wall of text on Arkham Horror theory. If these are starting to annoy people please do let me know.

I agree with you that drawing 1 card or taking 1 resource for 1 action is generally a very bad way to spend your action. To put it in click economy terms, an action is worth more than a card, and a card is worth more than a resource. Just like in Netrunner, (having access to) action compression in all it's forms is also very valuable. This because some turns you just have to get more done then what you can normally do in 1 turn, for example move, engage and kill a 3 health enemy.

I'd say effective action compression comes in more forms in AH than in Netrunner, however. Anything that allows you to collect more than 1 clue or do more than 1 damage per turn is great. Anything that lets you move for free, or engage for free, or combine any of these things into 1 action is good to great.

Where AH is really different is that I find it rather difficult to value the "economy" actions of the game. Resources are completely worthless unless you have a specific purpose to spend them on which will actually help you get clues and/or not die in some way. Even if you have such a purpose, only the resources up to that exact cost have value and while you ideally don't want to spend actions gaining the resources you also theoretically want to gain the resources as close to the point where you spend them as possible in order to minimize the time they spent idle (and thus without value). This changes if you have a skill pumping card. Though even in that case, resources rapidly diminish in value as the end of the game approaches as you'll likely end up not spending them all.

Contrast with Netrunner, where the threat of a big bank combined with having some assets (breakers, facedown cards etc) out is very powerful on its own, as it increases the range of cards your opponent must play against.

Cards are clearly good, because you can either play them to help you reach your goals (which I sure hope they do because why else are they in your deck?) or if not you can pretty much always commit them to do the same. So card draw must be great. Except weaknesses. Weaknesses make it really hard to figure out if it's objectively a good idea to draw another card. Unless you've drawn all your weaknesses already, then drawing cards is clearly great if you are not able to spend the action to get you closer to the objective instead. Similarly, any card you have in hand when the game ends was generally a waste and should have been committed to a check. And then on top of all that, some weaknesses (Amnesia and the one that causes you to discard all resources) totally change the value of (holding) cards and/or resources again.

Then there's the last resources: your hit point and sanity totals. These have some limited value in and of themself. Namely, staying out of reach of multi-damage encounter cards so that you are not forced to commit all in on an untimely skill check. However, the more hit points or sanity you have remaining, the less valuable those points are. And clearly the last point is vastly more valuable than all the preceding ones. So again, make sure you are using and spending these resources effectively.

But ultimately what you should be doing is achieving your objectives as fast as possible. Generally the best encounter card is the one you don't have to draw because the game has already ended. The tricky part here is that unless you can perform those investigate (or sometimes combat or other) actions effectively, you'll be not only wasting actions, but actively harming yourself through bad token pulls if you attempt them anyway. So as long as you aren't able to take effective actions to advance the objective, you better spend your actions remedying that situation in the most effective way possible. Concretely this means that if you can't investigate but already have a +damage weapon out, playing that Beat Cop is bad. You should be drawing for that Flashlight instead. Mystics with their spell dependence run into this issue most frequently in my experience.

In conclusion, I think it's key to identify precisely the points at which the valuation of actions vs cards vs resources changes and then decisevely and aggressively pursue the highest value option. Trying to do a bit of everything is how you end up on turn 5 with nothing to show for it except some assets of dubious value and some damage taken. Then these poor investments will compound on themselves and force you to take an increasingly lovely course of action as the game progresses.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 1, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

While Survivors and Rogues are often seen as the least useful classes in teamgames they are clearly the best in solo so far. Precisely because while they might lack the raw and hyperfocused efficiency, they can do everything reasonably well. Plus evasion is just so much better solo than even 2-player, let alone 4.

I've been trying to steer my 4 player group away from Guardians, Seekers and Mystics because I'm really curious how a multiplayer game made up of 4 jack-of-all-trades would go. Currently we're doing Yorick-Daisy-Pete-Jenny and while Daisy is mostly a clue vacuum and Yorick a fighter, it already feels like a pretty different game without what was previously our mandatory Guardian and Mystic. And it's going really rather well too.

Now if only I can convince them to try a run without a Seeker.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 2, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

These weaknesses are real interesting. Some of them seem pretty brutal also.

Rogue continuing the tradition of just such "ehhhh, I guess" level 0 cards.

I really like Improvised Weapon for how well it marries mechanics and theme. Not convinced it's good though.
Same goes for Last Chance, but I'm pretty convinced it's good. It seems like it shouldn't be too hard to turn this card into Unexpected Courage, and entirely possible to make it better.

Dr Elli let's you tutor Key of Ys, so that's certainly a thing I guess.

I feel like Yaotl might be really good, but very difficult to play well. Might also be golden in that Desperate Pete deck.

Reliable Lockpicks seem good.

Survival Knife is really good if you're going with the tanky type build like Yorick wants to do and Mark can pull off as well. Use them dogs + beat cop damage and now this to never actually take attack actions and still kill everyone.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ancient Evils is the encounter card you save all your cancellation effects for. While it might do absolutely nothing if you win the scenario with plenty of time to spare, oftentimes it reads "all investigators lose 3 actions" and then sometimes it adds various extra gently caress yous on top.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Between Scene of the Crime, Evidence, Working a Hunch, Roland's ability and some Flashlights and/or Magnifying Glasses I think he's really starting to live up to that subclass Seeker of his.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Regarding Essex County Express - is it ever worthwhile to go back for helpless passengers? We had 2 that were on the last car, so it would've taken all 3 actions, and then each of those cars has a bad effect, that would've triggered when I went back for them, as well as when I returned to my original location. I basically would've taken 4 damage and spent 4 actions to prevent 2 horror. So we just let them get sucked into the gate. Also, spawning cultists at the last car was fun for obvious reasons.

No, gently caress those passengers.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Maybe if they didn't Surge I'd feel bad for them.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Even if they had the ally icon you could still have multiple as long as you had the slots.

They're only ever worth saving in multiplayer if they spawn in your train car though. Doing extra moves to get them (and getting dinged by the train cars an extra 1 or 2 times) is pretty much never worth it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Mind Wipe has become worth a second look due to Vengeance though.

Hot Streak (2) is a really interesting card. It can be worse than Emergency Cache but then when it's not it's just such a great stepping stone to Hot Streak (4).

Is Rabbit's Foot good in like, Calvin maybe?

I feel like the stat boosters might've been enticing for 1XP. But for 2? Eh.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

alansmithee posted:

Also Hot Streak I see really only being useful as an upgrade on the way to the upgrade. As is it's not really much better than emergency cache xp2 or xp3, since you have to have 5 resources to start with. Still powerful, but seems a low priority for the people who the new card enables.

Well yeah that and maybe some of the people who have access to max lvl 2 Rogue cards.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I think skill icons is an aspect of card valuation that has been under the radar for a while. Mostly because cards released in core and most of Dunwich had either:
1. Good effect + good icons
2. Meh effect + meh icons

Lately though, they've been printing a bunch of cards with double icons (or icon + wild) that have effects that are not spectacular but are not outright bad. I think the proper evaluation of these cards requires comparing them to the neutral skill cards. The question then isn't "is the ability on this card good?", but more concretely "is the ability on this card better than 1 conditional and potential card draw?".

And I'm finding more and more often that the answer to that question is yes, even (sometimes especially) for situational cards. I think this has 2 reasons:
1. More options are released to get the required card draw or tutoring or redundancy to the point where the incidental card draw afforded by the neutral skills is no longer as necessary.
2. There's real value in having extra options your deck doesn't otherwise have access to on a card which primarily functions as a skill card.

So Logical Reasoning for example is functionally a Guts most of the time. But every now and then it'll save your life. Is that better than a card draw? Well, in a faction already loaded with draw and tutoring, yes. Oops! on the other hand is functionally an Overpower, but the effect is even more marginal and Survivors are still really clamoring for cards, so Oops! is still valued poorly.

So long story short, whenever you have decided to put a neutral skill card in your deck, make sure you check if there aren't any cards with the same icons available to you whose effect is better than the draw.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 27, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

RttNotZ just came in the mail from Team Covenant today

like, I knew what I was getting I willingly agreed to be ripped off by FFG, but there's something very stark about opening that big box and seeing the contents

Yeah that packaging sure is something.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Kalko posted:

New pack is up on the main site. The two player cards are an upgraded Mists of R'lyeh and Skeleton Key, which is a drat interesting card but I'm not sure if it's good. Using it frequently is very action intensive, but it does let you nail high shroud locations which have extra rewards for successfully investigating them or costly ways of increasing your chances (I'm only half-way through Carcosa and can't think of specific examples at the moment).

I feel like Skeleton Key turns Leo de Luca into a clue gathering card, as long as your investigator has base 3 intellect.

I mean, it's still an expensive combo but what are you doing playing Rogue if not trying to jampack your deck full of those?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Zerf posted:

You can even run it with Lantern and it doesn't matter what intellect value you have. As an extra bonus, run Lola Santiago and pick up a free clue during your first investigate action :)

Ooh, as far as wonky combos go I like this one a lot.

Gogo gadget Wendy.

Or Jenny or Finn, I guess.

Kinda too bad they have 3, 3 and 4 intellect respectively, seems a waste.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Enraptured seems like a real card for Mystics.

Second Wind is by itself a solid card (cheap cantrips with a decently helpful effect tend to be) but is hindered by the effect being so small that you probably don't want to devote the deckslot to it. If this had 2 Guts icons instead of 1 it'd be an auto-replacement for Guts though.

Well Prepared is very interesting, and makes it worthwhile to examine the icons on your assets carefully to figure out if this is a thing you want. Might just make the .45 increase in value against encounter deck Agility tests, for example.

Take the Initiative seems legit also.

If Secrets are ever going to be worthwhile then Truth from Fiction is an auto-replace for Perception also.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wait so Truth from Fiction and Enraptured do let you put secrets on an Untranslated Archaic Glyph. That's kinda neat.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Vantage point seems pretty good.

Alter Fate also a good card for Survivors to spend XP on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I feel like there is a lot of XP to be sunk I to the Ashcan Pete decks before you can get anywhere.

I gotta confess that Survivors are the class that clicks the least for me. All the others I got a really good sense of what I'm trying to do, including in variant builds, but whenever I play a Survivor I spent so much time either durdling or making skills tests at parity or only +1 with the difficulty.

Now obviously Survivors have some cards that allow them to succeed even when they fail and all that, but it's not like they have either that many of them or have that much draw. Plus those cards are at their strongest when you have a reasonably chance of succeeding in the first place and then when poo poo does go bad you get to salvage it, not when you're basically depending on them.

Maybe I should just spent a lot more time drawing when playing a Survivor or something.