Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Going by page 26 of the rules, "Skill Test Timing", I think you'd do 2 damage in both cases. Pay for stuff/play cards in the player windows on ST.1-ST.3 and check whether you have resources or not in ST.7 Apply skill test results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Why are you giving cigarettes to a kitty :ohdear:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

House Always Wins question: How does the Aloof tag interact with the Pit Boss Forced ability? Do you get punched for asking questions in the Card Room?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

What happens if you attach Jenny's weakness to a location that is removed from the game later?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

My favorite is still Skids. A little luck with card draw/token draw means you'r swimming in money and actions.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Miskatonic University scenario: If I'm reading Jazz right, whoever controls him can open all the doors, and they stay open for any other investigator afterwards, right?

EDIT: Better safe than sorry. Spoilered

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Probably not news to anyone, but I've discovered Cheapass Ashcan Pete and is amazing.

I think my only cards that cost 2+ are a couple of rugby players and Scavengers to feed Duke. I never lack card draw with Rabbit's Foot and Scavenge, so Ashcan is basically a 4 Combat, 4 Brain +1 damage character that occasionally moves for free and never has to click for money. Grab an Axe for more punch if you don't want to refresh Duke and to dump extra money in, and skill cards and Ward of Protection can deal with everything else the game can throw at him.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Extra actions and Leo di Luca.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Police badge helps, but yeah, he can get hit pretty bad with willpower tests.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

What does his willpower matter for dealing with things he's pinned by (ie, enemies)? Also note Skids has worse willpower in any case.

Pretty sure Lichtenstein meant Horror. 5 is too low to risk taking any Horror hits. Skids can Evade a scary enemy, Roland has to kill it before the end of the round.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Finally got the magical 6 cultist collection run. Ashcan is awesome.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Got Essex County Express. Print runs in Spanish are so low that I'm forced to order on day one and pay postage :(

Someone is trying to sell dunwich on ebay for 100 euros, ffs.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Spoilered investigators 3,4 and 6 look very fun to play with regarding card manipulation.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Worse interface, but TTS has all the stuff available (haven't checked Blood on the Altar yet, my arrives soon).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Fair enough. It doesn't bother me :shrug:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Is there any reason (besides being a bloody stupid use of 6 resources 90% of the time) I can't trigger 2 Pathfinder cards each turn?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Anyone has a list of 4 decks that you can make with a complete (2 cores) collection? I have a 4 player game coming tomorrow, I'm bad at deckbuilding, busy tonight and usually play 2 player. :supaburn:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Sorry, badly explained. I have all the published stuff, plus an extra core. Thanks for trying, though :3:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

So the Red Gloved man is LoTR's Gandalf?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Anyone tried Dark Horse on a standard low cost Ashcan deck?

One extra attack when spending resources on the axe seems nice

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Scrapper and/or Keen eye?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Anyone tried Dark Horse on a standard low cost Ashcan deck?

One extra attack when spending resources on the axe seems nice

Ok, tried this yesterday and steamrolled everything up to the train, although I was pretty lucky a couple of times and my mulligans went almost perfectly.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm pretty sure they did something similar with LOTR. Any idea on how does it work?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

How do you end up playing this? I took Ashcan Pete through all but the last two Dunwich scenarios but ended up skipping Dark Horse since it didn't quite fit into my build.

I usually play Pete solo and with a very cheap deck, so Dark Horse is a no brainer. I'm usually swimming in resources.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Newbie player question that I cannot answer, RAW: Daisy draws a number of cards equal to the number of Tomes on her deck at the start of the game each time she gets an Elder Sign. Yay or Nay?

From the Rulebook:

- A player controls the cards located in his or her out-of-play game areas (such as the hand, deck, discard pile).
- Cards by default enter play under their owner’s control. Some abilities may cause cards to change control during a game
- A card’s owner is the player whose deck (or game area) held the card at the start of the game.

And Daisy's ability:

- [Elder Sign] effect: +0. If you succeed, draw 1 card for each Tome you control.

EDIT: I know the answer is "you draw a card for each Tome you have on the table", but gently caress FFG rulebooks.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 7, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

The timing is pretty generous. Remember that it moves each time the plan advances, so you have 9 (6?) turns to gently caress it up or find another way to end the game.

Also, it doesn't escalate well to the number of investigators, so solo is pretty hard, 2 is manageable and more is a joke.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Are there any good blogs/sources of information and strategy for the game, a la Hall of Beorn? I'm mostly netdecking but want to try my hand at deckbuilding.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Anyway, here are a couple of tries for a new Dunwich campaign. Mark and Daisy.

Mark Harrigan posted:

Total Cards: (30)

Investigator: (1)
1x Mark Harrigan (The Path to Carcosa)

Asset: (13)
2x Beat Cop [0] (Core Set)
2x Flashlight [0] (Core Set)
2x Guard Dog [0] (Core Set)
2x Machete [0] (Core Set)
1x Painkillers [0] (The Miskatonic Museum)
2x True Grit [0] (The Path to Carcosa)
2x .32 Colt [0] (The Path to Carcosa)

Event: (14)
2x Dodge [0] (Core Set)
1x Elusive [0] (Core Set)
2x Emergency Aid [0] (The Miskatonic Museum)
2x Emergency Cache [0] (Core Set)
2x Evidence! [0] (Core Set)
1x Prepared for the Worst [0] (Blood on the Altar)
2x Shortcut [0] (The Dunwich Legacy)
1x “If it bleeds...” [0] (Undimensioned and Unseen)
1x “Let me handle this!” [0] (The Path to Carcosa)

Skill: (3)
1x Perception [0] (Core Set)
2x Vicious Blow [0] (Core Set)

Low on skills and high on health, I've found that with Sophie you can get good numbers on any given test anyway, and you need allies to soak sanity damage anyway. On that front, First Aid seems too slow to be effective. Slightly worried about cost, I may drop the guns, get more skills and mulligan hard for the Machete and Prepared for the Worst, specially after I upgrade to Brother Xavier. Not sure about Painkillers, either, is it possible to have too much health, specially paired with Daisy and Medical Texts?

Daisy Walker posted:

Total Cards: (30)

Investigator: (1)
1x Daisy Walker (Core Set)

Asset: (14)
1x Daisy’s Tote Bag [0] (Core Set)
2x Magnifying Glass [0] (Core Set)
1x Medical Texts [0] (Core Set)
2x Old Book of Lore [0] (Core Set)
2x Shrivelling [0] (Core Set)
2x Holy Rosary [0] (Core Set)
2x Dr. Milan Christopher [0] (Core Set)
1x Research Librarian [0] (Core Set)
1x Strange Solution [0] (The Dunwich Legacy)

Event: (13)
2x Delve Too Deep [0] (The Miskatonic Museum)
2x Emergency Cache [0] (Core Set)
2x Logical Reasoning [0] (A Phantom of Truth)
2x Mind Over Matter [0] (Core Set)
2x Shortcut [0] (The Dunwich Legacy)
2x Ward of Protection [0] (Core Set)
1x “I’ve got a plan!” [0] (The Miskatonic Museum)

Skill: (4)
2x Deduction [0] (Core Set)
2x Unexpected Courage [0] (Core Set)

Weakness: (1)
1x The Necronomicon (Core Set)

Healer-Clue Gatherer. Daisy has way too many good cards. Possible includes are Flashlight (too much investigation?), Blinding Light (Mark should be able to punch monsters away and she has some other 'Oh, poo poo' cards) or more books or ways to get them (but I'm going to add Encyclopedias later on). I am probably being way too greedy with 2 Delve too Deep and the Unidentified solution.

Any suggestions?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks.

My reasoning for having 4 allies with Mark is that I want to get Xavier as a way to get more sanity (3 instead of 2), shore up a weak stat and all of it cheaply XP wise, and upgraded cops are awesome. The alternative would be Elder Sign Amulets, but 3XP apiece hurt. I see your point, though. Will probably dump the cops for now.

Regarding the Solution, I was aiming for 1 Freezing Variant to have another out to evade a monster (The Fight and Healing ones seem pretty pointless in this deck), but on second thought I already have some emergency cards slotted in there. I do feel that 2 Wards are enough to deal with Delve, though, monster shouldn't be an issue with Mark around. Will try and report back. After losing a bunch, probably.

EDIT: Mark is going to need 4XP for the shotgun eventually, because Shotgun+Home Front is too silly and funny to pass up. He's even in the picture, damnit. Thus I rather be stingy on XP on his deck.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 28, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

What do I do with a weakness card when drawn by Old Book of Lore (draw three, add one to hand, shuffle the rest into the deck). RAW, unless the card goes to the table, it seems that I should resolve the effects and then shuffle it back.

Edit: Nevermind, you do not draw the cards, you "search" them.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 3, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

So what does count as 'you' for Calvin wrt damage? His card and the assets he's played?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

What campaign are you going to play? As far as I remember, Carcosa has a lot of 1 clue locations, and both Drawn to The Flame and Rite of Seeking are very good at both getting 2 clues and putting you in danger, which leaves you with only your flashlight to "reliably" investigate consequence-free.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

After talking a bit about playing solo, I'm trying to run Carcosa as solo flighty Wendy, and I'm slamming into the Royal Emissary and the fires and the Poltergeist and the Rotting Remains and aaaahhhh... Wendy is crazy now.

How do you deal with him with a non-combat character? Just outpace the Horror race?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Xlorp posted:

Abuse your character gimmick so you're cycling a nice set of low cost events and skills so you can repeatedly commit your way over the peskiest of enemies or distraction skill tests for as long as you need to max out the XP harvest. Fight or Flight makes your Horror work for you if you've got that in your cycle set.
Never played Wendy seriously, the idea of having an infinite deck of 10 cards is hilarious.

I'll give this a go, thanks. I assume you're trying to whack the Royal Emissary the turn it pops up so you can outlast the Horror while thinning your deck?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

TipTow posted:

Any *general* deckbuilding tips for someone building their first deck?

I've played the game a few times with a friend, have the rules down well--played with precon decks. It's gonna be just the two of us for multiplayer, if that factor matters. No idea who we're playing as (though I'm leaning toward Roland). Not asking for a decklist, I love the deckbuilding experience and want to do it on my own, but also don't want to cobble together a steaming pile of poo poo due to inexperience.

The core (and the first) campaign are very combat heavy, so plan accordingly. Evasion may not be the way to go if you're starting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

uncle blog posted:

Having played a ton of this during the weekend, I'm having withdrawal symptoms until we can play again. Are there any good iOS/Mac games that scratch a similar itch? Something strategic, single-player/campaign thing. Doesn't have to be a deck builder, but cool if it is.

You can play it in Tabletop Simulator and (I think) octagon. The modules don’t have the story booklets, so I wouldn’t consider it pirating.