Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, Carcosa looks really promising in that regard.

I'm itching to play a troll Sefina to use her gimmick to chain-drop several Delve Too Deep's and immediately pop I'm Outta Here. That Double or Nothing is in-faction is just icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Do it with you Core crew to kill them off in style.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Nope, just slot it in. The only cards caring about what you already have in your deck (currently: Strange Solution) explicitly state it in their text.

Do bear in mind that if you upgrade level 1+ cards (e.g. level 1 Aquinnah to level 3 Aquinnah) you can discount their cost by the xp price of the former.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, if you throw out a card, it's XP lost, tough luck - unless you're getting a higher-level version of the same card, where the aforementioned discount applies.

Also, remember level 0 cards cost 1 XP past initial deck construction.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I've loved Pete since my first play but man, Dark Horse is such a power spike for the Scooby Doo duo.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

How do you end up playing this? I took Ashcan Pete through all but the last two Dunwich scenarios but ended up skipping Dark Horse since it didn't quite fit into my build.

Up until Dark Horse I used Shrivelling as my backup weapon (to leverage Pete's high willpower), but now I take the Horse with with Fire Axe to dump the cash for those sweet buffs that apply to both Duke and Pete himself. Upgrade Peter Sylvestre you have anyway and you end up with a ridiculous statline to excel at whatever you feel like.

Having Duke, you don't really fret about being starved for cash, since turning cards into scooby snacks is as good as playing them most of the time and you don't really have any major material needs - Dark Horse and Sylvestre are your most expensive setup cards (at 3) and then all the stuff costs 1 or 2 bucks. The dog really trivializes the downside of being broke.

Nice combo cards (not necessary at all, but fancy nevertheless):
Scrapper - just sits out there from turn 1 allowing you to dump resources at instant speed whenever you feel like (e.g. if you want the dark horse buff for a skill test called by a treachery card).
Forbidden Knowledge - conversely, this lets you sit empty-handed for the buff and instantly take an emergency resource (using Sylvestre to tank Horror) so you can play Ward of Protection or take another axe swing at +3 combat and 2 damage.

I personally run a single Forbidden Knowledge as my fifth splash, it's nice to enable events.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Just go to your local friendly home depot and grab something like this:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, it's more 'let's tie all the other loose ends before we hop on the train and face whatever happened in Dunwich".

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I did, with Skids on normal. Lucking into an early Leo de Luca did wonders.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Dodge the gently caress out of them and play the running game with hunters, so that you can engage them one by one.

Or pack dynamite.

Having said that, solo play does indeed have that Ghost Stories-like dynamic where you need to keep up the tempo or succumb to spiral of mounting opposition once you stumble.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Read the flavor text and really look at the art of every card! This game has amazing writing and art direction and is so much better when you really appreciate it and get into the flavor of what's going on.

Also, the fluff tends to offer subtle hints, such as what should be expected under an unflipped location.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

1 question about Lucky!: Say I need to pass skill test of 2, my base is two, and I draw a -4. Since my result cannot go below zero, can Lucky! save me? Or not because it can't "overpower" the -4?

Yep, the result is zero and you can play it. IIRC you could also Lucky! out of a tentacle in this case, as it'd count as a failure at zero.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Hope you packed some dynamite.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Hey Carcosa-havers, how did Yorrick turn out in practice? I'm particularly thinking about the viability of the shovel/knife shenanigans, given he can simply pack a machete?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Lambeau was said to be available in one of the later cycles down the line (one or two further, guesstimating by the time it took for Fisk and Chronos Protocol in Netrunner), with the book offering to get her earlier. The alt-investigators apprear to be only ever purchasable by dropping coin on the fanfic books.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Quick Carcosa Big Box question: of basic weaknesses, I got Overzealous twice and the two others in just one copy. Is that how that's supposed to be?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

So if I'm feeling like playing a mystic but, due to team composition, have to be decent at gathering clues, I really have to pick Agnes, don't I?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

My reasoning was that Look What I've Found! would be necessary to get a decent density of investigation-enhancing cards not to spend half the game drawing while my bodyguard companion sits there fuming.

But in the end, after an hour of deckbuilding I ended up with Jim who simply splashes it anyway and, since I wanted to toy around with Alyssa Graham, runs around with a respectable 4 intelligence to boot.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Good. Don't further enable FFG.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

So, in practice, does Yorrick actually want to do some weapon juggling (knives, pistols, whatever), or is a Machete + some trashable utility item the porper way to go?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Do mind that while the investigator himself will appear soon, both of the signature cards are replacement bullshit.

Which is interesting, in a way, since they're so intertwined with his gimmick.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Radish posted:

I wouldn't have a problem if these things were for showing up to events, prizes, or something along those lines.

gently caress you, first worlder. :mad:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Today I started another run of Dunwich Horror. It turns out poo poo gets hard when you can't just rely on Duke to coast through stuff.

I also got gifted the Out of TIme and Space playmat, and it's amazing. The art is not only sweet on its own, but I was pleasantly surprised to see they've actually updated/enhanced it from the version we see on the card.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Not a fan of doubling beat cops and guard dogs. You neither want Charisma for them, nor want to kill them off just for the sake of it. I'd ditch beat cops in lieu of Unexpected Courage (just keep 'em until they save your butt on a nasty event), but then upgrade the dogs to lvl 2 cops.

You might consider slotting in Taunt (it can be really MVP), but then again, in two player it can be kinda situational.

As for Daisy, I think you should go double Strange Solution or none - you need them for slotting in upgraded versions, you need to draw them at a calm, opportune time and they have wild icons, so they aren't really a dead draw anyways. If playing Delve too Deep, consider also using Maleson, not to gently caress yourself up (he's also an amazingly cheap bag of HPs). Though the price of such setup is pretty much having to go for Charisma ASAP.

Forget the flashlight (you've got plenty of intelligence anyway) and blinding light (way overcosted, just save your sweet yellow events for tough situations).

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Do you bother to sleeve your cards, and if so, which ones? I've sleeved the small character cards since I would destroy them trying to flip on a regular basis, but any others seem like it would just get in the way.

In play -> sleeved
In binder -> unsleeved
scenario cards -> unsleeved

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

My partner and I got into this game pretty unexpectedly (never into board or cardgames before) and absolutely love it. Don't even bother with the roleplaying aspect, but find the cooperation and difficulty to be addicting. Bummed I have to shell out :10bux: minimum for each expansion, but intrigued by the prospect of building an ongoing campaign. Only have the core so far, so any recommendations for where to go next?

Tried to branch out into other two-player games with 7 Wonders Dual, but found it a bit basic in comparison. Can anybody recommend other games of similar complexity and excitement?

Similarly, is Android: Netrunner even worth looking into or to be avoided at all costs?

That's a hell of a gateway game! Check out Gloomhaven or Mage Knight, they're both heavy, thematic card-based rpg-lites that are excellent.

When you want complex and flavorful genre tailored for two players there's no other place to check but the wargames thread, but I am aware it's a bit of galaxy brain slice of the boardgames family. On the other hand, it is the galaxy brain slice of the boardgames family. Be sure to check out Twilight Struggle at least, which was a breakout hit dominating the BGG charts for like a decade (it's now also available on Steam).

PS. Netrunner is excellent, but a bitch to get into for various reasons.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Uh oh are they doing the 'each faction gets one new card' thing like other LCGs have in their faction-based big boxes? I might become a part of the problem this time, since other than that I think I'd like this box very much.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Is there anything discouraging about Android if you never plan to go anywhere near tournament play? Especially if they reconfigure things to make me purchase even less sets (am I getting that right?).

The game is
a) a bit too fond of its own terminology, making the rulebook a bit annoying (discard piles having two separate names for each player, neither of which is 'discard' - stuff like that),
b) it's fairly dependent on cardpool knowledge.

As in, if you'd play Magic your opponent just drops a monster with some numbers and abilities you can read and you can get by with just a very general feel of what each of the factions does.

Netrunner, with all of it's bluffing is a bit heavier on playing around certain things. Like, knowing what's the worst case scenario if you just keep running against a certain corporation having certain amount of money available. While it's okay if you're learning the game with a friend together, and therefore at a roughly same rate, it can lead to some discouraging bullshit early on - in the original core set (not sure about the current one) pretty much every faction had some super-important card or two that can turn a game, leading to some very unsatisfying defeats if you don't know what to expect.

It's well worth sticking to, though. If you don't mind being involved in several collectible games at once, that is.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It's okay. First you play to go 'woooah' and then again to giggle in anticipation of your friends going 'woooah'. Also, the foreknowledge helps you set them up for maximum fuckery (e.g. making Daisy the lead in Rougarou) and make cryptic prophecies about their poor choices.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Ripley posted:

For anyone who hasn't seen it elsewhere already, the next deluxe expansion has turned up on a random Spanish retailer

This is pretty much a time-honored LCG tradition by now.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I've spent most of Carcossa annoyed at having to treat the campaign rules as an unreliable narrator.

I'm afraid this part is kind of the whole point?

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 25, 2018

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

You pretty much got it. She's a generalist, and so can pretty much pair with whomever. Between signature pistols and general rogue cardpool she's somewhat more suited to monster hunting than investigation, but it works fine in every combination. Ashcan would probably be a nice generalist companion, as he could cover for her early on while she's still assembling her talents and weapons and poo poo.

Perhaps think if there's an investigator you'd like to use Double or Nothing or Teamwork on.

Survivor cardpool is very generalist (and good!) and I feel each investigator printed so far really takes the class in a different direction. Still, their rather unique advantages for the team are splendid tanking (of both enemies and events) and monster manipulation. Their generalist mechanics (chaos token manipulation, the ridiculous exiles) can make them extremely consistent when needed, making them excellent vectors for double-or-nothing-style high stakes jank. They also tend to be really good really quick (both scenario- and campaign-wise), but don't really reach the heights offered by some other classes - so they tend to work as busy ad hoc troubleshooters for when the rest of the team is still trying to assemble their poo poo.

Also the discard digging capabilities make for some fun combo potential (hello flaring and then chance enountering someone elses red gloved man).

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

are nerds buying a lot of these books when will this scam end

[edit] On the other hand, this weakness is hilarious.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 7, 2018

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yes and yes and yes.

Never trust people trying to convice themselves a single core of an LCG is fine, this is pure self-denial. I mean, it'd be okay to like buy core + some other big box for variety as your first purchase, but sooner or later you'll want those extra copies of core cards.

Well, the order of buy-in into cycles is one thing entirely up to you, but I'd still advise Dunwich first, if only to ensure there's no availability issues in a year or two. While Carcosa is good and fun, it's also a bit gimmicky and weird and characterful and it's nice to have a more straightforward campaign of killing monsters and scooping clues that's a bit more substantial than the semi-tutorial of the core set to lean on.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Myself I'm itching to see what they're trying to do with the ENGAGE EVERYONE archetype they're slowly seeding cards for.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Beat Cop (2 xp), Aquinnah (3 xp) and Brother Xavier (1 xp) enter the Thunderdome. Who will leave and go on to have thrilling adventures with William Yorick?

I'm really tempted by Aquinnah (if only for the joy of dealing with enemies by simply running past them and watching them self-destruct. Also it'd let me use the deck slot of leather coats for some other xp additions), but that +1 fight of the beat cop is quite hard to pass up on.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Also, I've got a passing thought that Survivor is hands down the best class to off-class for pretty much any other color. This both to its generalist nature (i.e. there is no deck Lucky! wouldn't fit in) and the fact Survivors exchange 4+ xp cards for the exile mechanic, meaning your standard 0-2 level access opens nearly entire red cardpool.

I wonder if they've acknowledged the latter when applying the deckbuilding template to various investigators.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Well, I did it on a single core solo Skids, so it's definitely doable. It requires a fair bit of luck, though, espacially with draws on a single core.

While I think I've done it by virtue of really being on a roll with my flashlights and a well-placed dynamite stick, the dirty secret of The Devourer Below is that if you know what you're up to, it's the single most cheesable scenario in the game - currently and in the foreseeable future.

If you've given up on doing this the hard way, the lame speedrun solution is not to give a single gently caress about gathering clues. Since running out of Agendas doesn't end the scenario, but rather initiates the bossfight, you can spend the entire adventure just standing in place and gathering weapons, supplies and tricks for the big fight. And if you control Lita Chandler you can literally do nothing but draw cards and fend off random ghouls until you find her.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I remember Nate French confirming in some interview that low xp values for survivor cards were an intentional choice: since the class is meant to represent ordinary people thrown into extraordinary circumstances, he felt that these big, flashy 5 xp cards would run counter to the intended feel of the class. The (currently 100% class-specific) Exile mechanic was designed explicitly to give survivors some additional xp sinks as a result of that decision.

I just wonder if they've though about its impact on off-classing.

Now, back to speaking entirely out of my rear end, I wonder if there's a reverse thing supposed to be going on with rogues. Exceptional is pretty much a Rogue-specific mechanic (the one Guardian exception easily handwaved as an equivalent of Possession not being mystic; also the only card directly referencing exceptionals belongs to Sefina) that kind of mirrors their gambling double-or-nothing aspect.

Now, the :tinfoil: part is, perhaps just like their in-mission modus operandi is to make mad dosh and then throw it at every problem they might face, maybe they're timidly geared to go big or go home on xp across the span of a campaign. First, ever since the core box, their level 0 oeuvre has been fairly disappointing, with most of the reason for bothering with them tied in a lot of legit cool upgrades.

Second, let's take a look at XP-boosting cards in the current pool. Non-rogues currently have two: Delve Too Deep and Yorick's Bury Them Deep. The first is very Mystic in execution, the latter kinda sorta ties with what the character is about. Meanwhile, Rogues currently have a whopping three of such cards:
- Charon's Obol, the most straightforward one,
- Alt-Jennys xp-discounting medallion,
- Xp-discounting adaptable.

There's a bit of a pattern to them. Each of these cards allows for a bigger net gain than the abovementioned, and therefore a faster snowball. Moreover, they're greedy - they are benefitting only the owner, rather than spreading the experience among the team, like the out-of-class cards do.

Now, given how Rogues and Survivors have a strong opposition thing going on - amassing riches vs going broke, exceeding tests vs failing forward, explosive gambles vs consistency - I wonder if they're meant, or will be meant, to mirror survivor's xp curve, guzzling xp and snowballing while the survivors hit their skill ceiling and stick to amassing additional contingencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, for better or worse all FFG's treatment of Lovecraft is a bit of pulpy Shoggoth Chainsaw Massacre (also brains are the second hp track). Once upon a time I was sad about this trend in gaming, but by now Cthulhu Mythos are the equivalent of zombies in the overused nerd tropes department, so I really don't care anymore.

Having said that, the gimmicks of Path to Carcosa are actually a rather nice tribute to Chambers.