Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
*In general*, zero xp (barring some scenarios explicitly acknowledging murdering investigators). How would Charon's Obol sting otherwise?

Having said that, either bullshit something to taste or accept it as a deckbuilding challenge (concoct a deck that doesn't need much to hit its stride, like a bunch of them do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

ovenboy posted:

If I understand things correctly, you need two base sets of you want to play with more than two people, or would a base set together with some expansions work as well since you get more investigators from them (right?)?
I saw Murder at the Excelsior Hotel being recommended above. Are there any other scenarios or cycles that you guys particularly recommend getting, or should I just stick with publication order?

Stick with the publication order or just pick arbitrarily based on aesthetic preferences. Keep the Forgotten Age for later, it is kind of a dark souls experience that's quite punishing if you're not at the top of your game. Path to Carcosa is *bonkers* and spectacular and will probably stay my favorite for quite a while - but I think it really will shine more after going through a far straightforward Dunwich experience.

Before Excelsior (it owns) Carnevale of Horrors was my go-to single scenario to test deck ideas against.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Shrivelling, Wither, Shards of the Void.

Which two of those three would you pick as your roughly-standard mystic murderkit?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Myself I'm pretty excited for Stella. Drawing Thin had already taught people to respect failure decks and that's a really, really good conditional for extra actions. The mailwoman is going to have some mad tempo.

Can't wait to stack Quick Learner to self-sabotage agility on Track Shoes.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 25, 2020

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Kalko posted:

Quality matters! I can't get over using pieces of paper as cards - I've never even been able to play with proxies. I was glad when FFG switched its PoD stuff to a new printer as it was always kind of disappointing to play with some of the old Netrunner promo cards and LotR nightmare decks. The difference in card stock was really obvious and you could even tell through a sleeve.

Stalk out "local" (State/Country-level) groups on fb or whereever, people do professional prints of stuff like that at a reasonable price - the trick being, it has to be a bigger group of people going dutch to reach a sensible scale.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Forbidden Tome might be the most amount of hoops to jump through for the most mediocre effect ever

Sure can't disagree there's a bunch of hoops, but the thing about Forbidden Tome is that it's testless, while also dirt cheap and unlimited (no charges), which is a great ace to hold up one's sleeve. Made extra neat by the fact that if you're running it your team has probably already went for making GBS threads up the chaos bag with tokens for other boons.

Now this exact variant of Forbidden Tome is admittedly way lamer than the autoclue one - which is understandable, given it's damage in Seekers - and is probably only worth running as a combo piece with one of those allies that like getting hurt repeatedly. But if you do, it's not that hard to get your value out of it. Think of a humble beat cop, or tag teaming with Mark Harrigan for some decent efficiency.

As for the four arrows cluase, it's also not nearly as bad as it looks. Assuming that the intended baseline for this card is sitting on a full hand of 8 cards (which honestly isn't that outrageous of an ask, given every single seeker and their mother runs Higher Education) you stay on par in terms of action efficiency (2 arrows = move + investigate = fight + pop an action on a healing asset), with your bonus being the ability to make things testless unlimited number of times. If you also happen to go for the megahand gimmick, extending your hand size up to 12 cards, you get some serious efficiency there.

Like, if you do it's gamebreakingly ridiculous. 1 resource for up to 4 testless clues and up to 4 moves per turn, unlimited number of times? Up to 8 testless damage a turn if you tag along with beat cop, while keeping him pristine? Or, alternatively, making GBS threads all over treachery damage forever while keeping the seeker (the supposedly combat vulnerable class) pretty much self-sufficient with up to 4 testless damage per turn? poo poo, you don't even need to care about a damage source, just eat an attack of opportunity doing seeker things every once in a while, since you have an infinite number of heals that also advance the board state when you use them.

Just think for a second how ridiculous would that be without said hoops. Like, if it really was 'for every 4 cards in your hand' like Cthulhu Dreams suggested. This poo poo would eat Key of Ys for breakfast.

And the kicker? You can further cheat on its action efficiency if you run it in Diana. Especially the PnP one.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

No, they switch on at drawing the 8th card and no further investment.

If you combo up to 12 cards they turn super saiyan and go from a tool to bypass the most troublesome tests to game-trivializing win conditions.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Honestly it seems to me that if one bothers with Parallel Fates, they might as well bother with Scrying.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

There's two ways to play Preston, green one and red one.

Green one goes heavier on rogue tools and is all about having that fat stack for either buffing or bypassing tests. I think dragon's hoard is fine and viable, but it's a balancing act between sitting on it to scale buffs and spending it for immediate testless effects. Going all-in for spending effects is perfectly fine too, but I like the hoard approach for some... indirect benefits. Like High Roller can become a really low risk safeguard.

Red one goes heavier on Survivor access and runs a complete tax evasion scam where you run Dark Horse and Fire Axe and completely bypass their disadvantages (tokens on inheritance don't count as yours, so you can enjoy your buffs and still be at ease to play the strong events. Every hit from the axe is at it's peak performance, which is pretty wild for a level zero card). It's a bit more vulnerable to the mythos phase and suffers from the common survivor curse of being good at everything, but only once per turn, but still - you get to turbocharge yourself to the level where you can Just Do Things, backed by all survivor failsafes and an infinite budget. Like you don't even blink before dropping Will to Survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Fend Off seems baller for Calvin in the early turns. Power up and erase an enemy before you're ready to handle it.