Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What is Arkham Horror: The Card Game?
It's a co-op LCG from Fantasy Flight Games in which players create investigator decks and tackle mysteries.

Neat. Tell me more!
Each player chooses an investigator and then builds a deck according to that investigator's requirements. Each investigator belongs to one or more classes (Guardian, Seeker, Rogue, Mystic, and Survivor), and I'll talk more about them below. Each investigator also has both a beneficial card and weakness unique to them. Additionally, a player will either be making a deck for campaign or standalone mode.

Investigator Classes
The five classes determine what card pool an investigator can draw from, and thus determines their playstyle, strengths, and weaknesses. These are:

Guardians: The theme of Guardians is standing up to the unknown with the mundane. Guns, knives, and occasionally rolling a bundle of dynamite into a cultist gathering. Their main stat is Might.

Seekers: Nerds. Total nerds. They're the best at investigating, however, and that's how you win the game. Main stat is Intellect.

Mystics: They are magical people who cast spells at the darkness. Main stat is Willpower.

Rogues: Rogues get by with cards that mess around with the rules. Main stat is Agility.

Survivors: Survivors' are good at managing close calls and turning failures into successes. They don't have a main stat. Pity them.

Modes of Play
Campaign Mode: You start the game with 0 xp for your deck, and play through a series of scenarios that will affect your investigator, usually for the worse.

Standalone Mode: Build an deck with up to 50 xp and tackle a single scenario.

How to Play
Scenarios are usually tackled by gaining enough clues to advance the Act deck. Get to the end of it and you'll win the game. However, you're racing against the Agenda deck, a perpetually advancing series of cards that screw over the player.

Players find clues, fight enemies, dodge perils by Skill tests. You pull a token out of the Chaos Bag, add or subtract the modifier from your relevant stat, and if you meet or exceed the target number, you win!

Resources
Here's a deckbuilder: https://arkhamdb.com/

Campaigns
Please share yours here!

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ChiTownEddie posted:

Gotta say after my first scenario that included Zoey...
She just runs around murdering things. A+ char.

Did she have a fire axe?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'd like to have better descriptions of the classes in my OP, so if someone has a good breakdown of one or more of them, I'd appreciate it. Like for instance, I didn't know Rogues were the econ faction. That's useful info!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Is it possible to spend a boatload of money on cardboard dividers?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

bobvonunheil posted:

What's the timing on Fire Axe?

If I initiate a combat with 1 resource, spend it to increase Fire Axe's attack, then win the combat, do I do 1 damage or 2?

Likewise, if I initiate a combat with 1 resource, then play Lucky! to turn it into a success, do I do 1 damage or 2?

Yes to both is how we've been playing it. The card checks for Resources during the damage step.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/1/25/undimensioned-and-unseen/

4th Dunwich Legacy pack.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Played The House Always Wins, hosed up and spent too long grabbing clues, got mobbed by a wave of Monsters.

And now The O'Bannion Gang has a bone to pick with us.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

House Always Wins question: How does the Aloof tag interact with the Pit Boss Forced ability? Do you get punched for asking questions in the Card Room?

If he's present when you gain clues, he latches on and attacks.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

bobvonunheil posted:

I've had trouble working out how damage assignment works despite reading and re-reading the rules, can the thread chime in?

If I have an ally who has 1 Health and 1 Sanity, and I take a hit of 1 damage and 1 horror, can I assign both of those to the ally or only one before the ally is defeated?

Damage is simultaneous, the ally can eat both.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Has anyone come up with a good way to deal with Conglomeration of Spheres? Because they loving suck.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Anyone done full spoilers for Miskatonic Museum yet?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wellp, Roland is going to take up the pipe.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Got our asses kicked so quickly in Carnevale that neither of the end conditions were fulfilled. Does the Grim Rule kick in here?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/27/where-doom-awaits/

I've Had Worse is amazing.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 28, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lola Hayes owns.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/3/29/ahc-lost-in-time-and-space/

Firearms galore in this preview.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I finally tracked down Miskatonic Museum. Time to get hilariously owned by this game once more.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Where did you find it?

Hidden in the shelves of my game store.

Seriously.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/6/echoes-of-the-past/

Desperate times call for Desperate cards.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I misplaced the box containing our decks, and it's starting to look like the misplacement was permanent. Is there a place selling singles for AH?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/29/the-secrets-of-time-and-space/

Nice lil Rogues boost.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Any Forgotten Age spoilers out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kalko posted:

Investigator Starter Decks. This is a lot more content than I was expecting. Great stuff.

Oh this is fantastic.