Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Jarvisi posted:

Just got the forgotten age and am looking to try out rogue for the first time, since people say that evade is really important. Would Finn be a good choice? I'm thinking either him or Jenny for the guns

I just played this and it was a really good campaign. I was a purist, but yeah I think the Return To rule Golden Bee mentioned where the exploration deck starts with ONLY locations and you shuffle the top card of the encounter deck into it whenever you successfully explore would be a good way to play. My first time through I restarted the first scenario twice because I got a chain of treacheries and couldn't actually play the scenario.

Finn would be good. There are some painful brain tests, but a free evade every turn probably makes up for it. Pack "You handle this one" if you're not playing true solo (if you are, uh, good luck?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Text in parentheses is still strange to me because on Magic and most games, it's reminder text. Words that have no rules meaning, just meant to either explain a new keyword without having to consult a rulebook, or to clarify something that might otherwise confuse players because the card creates an uncommon rules interaction. Arkham Horror might be the only game I've seen where it's used for bonus effects.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My Amazon order of Return to The Circle Undone is arriving today! A few weeks earlier than I expected. I'm bringing Diana this time, and I'm thinking about running Luke also. I play two-handed, so Diana will be mostly combat and Luke will be grabbing clues test-less using his pocket dimension tricks. There aren't too many cards that overlap even though they're both mystics.

Ubik_Lives posted:

The second act of the first mission may also have impacted the road you went down. You get that randomly assigned act which determines what supernatural force the spreading horror tokens are supposed to represent, only one outcome is it's just a fire. Having flood water chase you over the theatre balcony, or Ghostbusters II ooze seeping out of the walls makes you question what on earth is going on. Having the building catch fire makes me think the Man in the Pallid Mask is a careless smoker. I think that's why Return to Carcosa gave you three more potential acts, so it diluted the chance of getting the fire act.

About the second part of the first scenario in Carcosa, I got the fire all four times I played. I didn't look at the back of any others, I just assumed it was always that, but changed which symbol it added to the bag. I'll have to look at them again to see if I just got a strange luck of the draw... or maybe you're thinking of the Return to sets?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My "organization" of having color-coded Dex Protection doublesided deck boxes with one side having all the L0 cards and the right side L1-5 is going to run out very soon. It's just enough to hold every player card in each class from a collection that includes: two cores, all five starter decks, and every big box and mythos pack except the individual Innsmouth mythos packs.

They really don't want you replaying the prologue in Return to TCU, huh? It makes you swap out encounter sets, which sounds like a good way to spark interest in replaying it at least one more time, but then the investigator setup mentions cards that no longer exist in the gathered encounter sets. Then there's a new location added, but it's completely inaccessible. If anyone's interested, the lead developer, MJ, said her intent was that the Wine Cellar was connected to the Victorian Halls. There's a few more important questions where that came from. I think I'll just do the tarot card reading.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for big box style releases. I don't even know how to introduce the game to other people (if I was even comfortable playing in person). It's unapproachable right now. I wouldn't mind providing the encounter cards and knowing that everyone can buy big boxes of player cards.

Also I got to play with Occult Lexicon 3 tonight and it was incredible. Three testless damage when you need it, two and a reshuffle (to get re-found with Old Book of Lore) when you don't need to hit as hard. Daisy has only gotten better.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Omnicrom posted:

And the secret best part of Lexicon/Mirror (3)? The bonded cards remain in your hand/deck even if the Book/Mirror that fetch them go away.

That's definitely a plus, it's nice to have an asset in Daisy's deck that's somewhat expendable, because she do be loopin through her deck with Abigail + Old Book of Lore and can find Lexicon again if it dies to a Vice and Villainy or whatnot.

Speaking of Vice and Villainy, I put it in my Bad Necronomicon last night. It can't leave play while it has horror on it, so a single Vice and Villainy sits there making it even more unlikely I'm going to gradually take horror to ditch the weakness.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Found another possible mistake in Return to The Circle Undone. This one's when you go down the alternate story branch the Return To set introduces, in Return to The Wages of Sin. If you complete the Irish Witch's task, you get to include her in one of your decks... but you don't get any XP for the three Heretics you banished, because they're never in the victory display. I think you can get 6 XP total in the original version; two from locations, one each from the four Heretics. Irish Witch is really good, probably worth 3 XP, but only one player gets her. My hunch is that they totally forgot to tell you to count those Heretics as in the victory display, because right now the reward for doing things her way is 0-2 XP, an ally for one player, and one Heretic released into the wild which I think is a starting doom in a later scenario IIRC.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I was using Burger Tokens for chaos tokens and kept drawing the tentacle or skull way too often, until I took them all out and saw that the tentacle and one skull token were noticeably flatter than the others. I think no matter what, a person is going to have the subconscious bias to put their hand in the same spot.

I wish there was a way to emulate the odds with die rolls, and I guess it is to a degree... until you involve bless/curse, sealing tokens, Grotesque Statue, and pulling more than one token. I really like the ArkhamCards app, partly because my space is limited so the more physical things I can get rid of the better.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I sleeve my decks too, and I mash shuffle a bunch. If the deck is small or I'm shuffling in one or two cards sometimes I roll a die to see how many cards down I should cut. My decks usually require a ton of shuffling. Really the biggest downside of having weaknesses in player decks is that they can't just print cards that search the top X and put everything you didn't select on the bottom, because it'd be too easy to bury your weaknesses. I should build some nice basic Guardian decks to help my sleeve budget, but I'd feel helpless without Practice Makes Perfect, Eureka, Arcane Initiate, etc....

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing Amanda in Return to TFA and she is crazy. I didn't realize how lucky I was to get Indebted as my weakness until I started playing. I've got more cash than I can use, and I'm drawing and not wearing out my sleeves from shuffling like every other seeker I've ever played.

I'm playing her paired with Finn, and he's my first real rogue (Tony doesn't count) so he's not doing much... thankfully Amanda is picking up the slack.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I was going to ask for spoiler-free tips for Innsmouth. I'm going to play two-handed. So far I know:

Arcane Research maybe not worth it;
Enemies do bad stuff on engagement, so evading isn't as good - basically the anti-TFA

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Innsmouth Conspiracy is great. Makes me excited to see what they'll do with Edge of the Earth where the one-box model means they can really mess with the campaign structure. I definitely had to miss a few flashbacks in In Too Deep, even though I was playing Luke, who can teleport.

It's also my first time using the blurse mechanic outside of committing Promise of Power. Yorick with Ancient Covenant, Spirit of Humanity, and Favor of the Sun is powerful, but doesn't feel overpowered.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

So, I just bought the Arkham Core set. I'm running the campaign two handed solo. My thoughts right now are I like it more than I did when I first tried the game. I did the second scenario, but I ended up having to retire. Wendy was great for the first scenario, but was okay for the second. I felt my main problem was I didn't have high enough intellect for investigation between Roland and Wendy (Me remembering Roland's ability would help a bit). My question would be, if I wanted a hero that had good intellect and evade, (obviously my trade off will be Willpower and Combat) what should I be looking for?

Or just good hero packs that have some good base cards in general. I will try out some different combos, but Roland and Wendy in the base game seem great for my play style, but I feel like Wendy is my weaker link.

Wendy is amazing because of her "reroll" ability. These days I don't play her as much because with a full card pool, there are a lot more fun things to do with the discard pile in red, and her weakness is a no-fun-allowed sign.

And don't feel bad about having to resign in Midnight Masks, that's a "get in, do as much as you can, and get out while you still can" scenario.

The investigator starter decks probably give the biggest boost to your card pool. Stella and Jacqueline border on broken and Harvey just sucks, but you get a lot of new cards. Winnifred has what you're asking for, stat-wise.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've got a full collection (except for some of the Return-to's and of course Edge of the Earth because I live in the US) and have completed every campaign two-handed. I was theory-crafting some decks to teach my fiance, and don't get me wrong, the core investigators are fine, but I think there are better alternatives:

Guardian - Roland is okay, but his weakness sucks, and I've found that trying to be good at both fighting + clueing is a bad mix unless your cards are purple. I think Zoey or Nathaniel are better for new players, leaning towards Zoey because she's got fewer money problems than most Guardians. I'm trying to think of five decks I could conceivably build with no overlap, but there are so many Mystic assets that she can easily splash for one of the investigate ones and pick up clues with her 4 brain.

Seeker - I built a Daisy deck. My fiance loves books, so I figured it'd be a natural fit... but Old Book of Lore (Daisy's real signature card) isn't newbie-friendly. Asking someone new to dig three cards deep, find a good card, and shuffle every turn is asking a lot. I'm sure she's smart enough to find the best of three cards, but that's a lot of brain power devoted to tutoring and shuffling when she could be, you know, playing the game. I thought about mono-yellow Mandy sans-Rook, but that makes Practice Makes Perfect and Eureka failures hurt even more. I think the best Seeker for new players is Ursula. I've played her twice, and her weakness is a non-issue. Do the thing you were going to do anyway that turn. I only died to it once, and it was because my choices were die to AoOs from a swarm of snakes or die to the 2 horror from the weakness. Ursula also has 4 evade, unlike Daisy who has no enemy management skills at all.

Survivor - I think Wendy is a good choice actually, but she doesn't actually do much. And that's the problem with most Survivors - they're good at surviving, but not really contributing without some higher level cards. I wouldn't give a new player Stella, unless that new player get discouraged by any difficulty. Ashcan is my pick here, because he's a good all-arounder. He's got a dog, and you can give him some talking cats, so that's fun (as long as they avoid an untimely Crypt Chill).

Rogue - Finn is the best; why couldn't Skids have been Finn instead? None of the lower complexity Rogues are very forgiving with their 1 or 2 brain scores, but Finn is a good intro to the "succeed by X" archetype as well as being good at investigating and evading.

Mystic - Jaqueline is like Wendy but more fair, and probably more capable because one stat can do everything. Her ability lets her pass on the really important tests, but it's not so busted as to take all the risk out of the game. And her signature weakness "just" makes her a generic purple investigator for a round or two. (By the way did anyone else notice how much more annoying the Innsmouth cycle made her weakness?)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
They also have parallel Wendy yet to announce, which reminds me: parallel Agnes is amazing with the upgraded occult cards from RtTCU. Bit of a one-trick pony, so might get boring to play campaign length, but with Charisma + 2x Arcane Initiate the only thing slowing her down is her weakness.

The EotE campaign preview is today. I'm excited, but the biggest thing I want is for them to announce that the EotE investigator box is finally shipping to US customers.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://hallofarkham.com/edge-of-the-earth/

New previews from the Facebook stream!

Snow tokens are -1 Blurse tokens, except you autofail if you reveal two.

You get a partner ally you can bring with you each scenario. I think you can pick a different one each scenario, and they may start in play. Damage/horror on them doesn't heal between scenarios, and there's incentives for keeping them alive (and penalties if you don't).

Those new weaknesses get shuffled into your deck, and don't leave your deck until you draw them - even across scenarios.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I just got into this with the revised core, would edge of the earth be a good buy after that since it’s all contained in two boxes? It definitely seems like the most convenient way to go until the other newly packaged versions hit.

https://stackhamhorror.com

Lots of stuff is starting to go out of stock from the popular campaign cycles, Carcosa and The Forgotten Age (though TFA might only be due to the good cards, the actual campaign isn't well-received).

If you're in the US, it could literally be half a year before you're playing Edge of the Earth's campaign at this rate. I'd look for deals on full cycles of cards, particularly ones past Dunwich that probably aren't going to get the big box treatment for a year or more. I know some sites were offering the full Innsmouth cycle for $70, which is less than the new release model investigator + campaign box.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Impermanent posted:

what's the replay value like on this game? My group likes to really ratchet up co-op games like spirit island over time to the higher degrees of difficulty as time goes on - does this support that kind of engagement?

You'll probably fail a lot. Usually, failing a scenario isn't catastrophic. There's a few that straight up kill characters who don't resign by the end, but it's usually somewhat obvious when that'll happen. If you die, you can keep playing with a new investigator. The campaigns themselves are replayable; the basic story will be the same, but you'll discover new things. I did really well in The Forgotten Age and Innsmouth Conspiracy my first time through, but there's a lot of story things I didn't get to see, and I didn't get the 100% True Ending All Secrets endings. And there's so many investigators and so many different strategies to try.

The only changes higher difficulty settings make is that the chaos bag gets meaner with bigger negative tokens fewer positive ones.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
All signs are pointing to the Edge of the Earth Investigator box releasing on November 19th in the US, finally! The campaign box is still listed as March 31st though. :(

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Probably not a good game to play with someone like that. I'd rather play something less story-driven with that kind of gamer. Or force them to play Stella.

I've been teaching my fiance how to play. Last night we got to Midnight Masks, and we had a non-Elite Cultist with seven doom on it. All we needed to do was kill it and we would have had three or four more rounds, but she drew into a weakness with Blood Rites on an otherwise empty hand and I whiffed on two attacks where I was at +3. Things like that feel bad, but it wasn't campaign-ending. In fact the only real negative is that we still have to play Devourer Below.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

Play Horrified with that person or something.

Edit - and watch them wanting to always play the character/hero with the almost game breaking instant-move teleporting ability since the game is “hard” without it.

I stopped wanting to bring out Horrified with the family because my daughter won't play unless she's that teleporting character, and no one else is allowed to rescue townspeople except her.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I was looking into printing the custom Dark Matter campaign and it's around $85. I heard it's great, but I think I'll use that to learn how to play on TTS. Since I'm in the US, I'll probably have to resort to playing Edge of the Earth on there anyway.

If you're missing packs, Boardlandia is having their Black Friday sale, and there's lots of AH stuff on there.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Canada has gotten the campaign box! Any Canadagoons want to check their LGS and see about shipping one to the US for me?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

So I started running Circle Undone and I’m taking Lily Chen and Monterey Jack through it. The prologue was really neat. The second scenario I got Jack’s Whip out right away and so he killed and escaped like a boss. Only issue is his low mind stat. Those tests ruin him.

I have a question that popped up though. Is your turn officially over after you use your last action, is your turn finished? Or can you still use any free actions? Like if on my last investigation I got enough clue to move the act, do I still have to wait or can I do it right then?

There's a player window there that's still part of your turn, so you're good.

Rogues are my least favorite class because of what you mentioned. Finn was fun, but TFA was built for him; TCU is not made for 1 brain investigators. Or even 3 brain, for that matter.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've proxied the EotE investigators and a few cards and have been running it two-handed through Dream-Eaters to test. Norman + Lily dreaming, Daniela + Monterey waking.

• Cyclopean Hammer is busted. Using it in Lily and wondering how it made it through testing.
  • Monterey is a more interesting Ursula. She's Mono Yellow Movement, he's got Rogue tricks. Pairing him with a Guardian is great, because "Let Me Handle This" and "You Handle This One" means he's never facing a willpower treachery.
  • Having two investigators with a 1 in a stat is rough. Already ran into two places in the waking side where I was sweating bullets trying to beat a 2.
  • Daniela is, from my limited experience, the same playstyle Yorick with less setup. But I think Yorick takes less XP to get there, and does more intriguing stuff. Her auto-evade and pinging ability is flexible, but taunts aren't a thing Arkham has built in, whereas Survivor recursion is an established archetype.
  • Norman is very good. The Harbinger is annoying to deal with, and like Mandy's weakness you'll likely see it at least twice a scenario.
  • I took Lily's agility Discipline with the three attacks and/or evades. So far it's come in useful only once, but if Cyclopean Hammer ever gets taboo'd it'll be more useful with her other potential weapons. I'll be taking the +punch with the +5 to a test one next. The only investigator to prepare her to is Diana, and I love Diana, but Lily requires much less setup to go do things.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm definitely bringing someone who can take the Cyclopean Hammer into EotE. Diana, Sister Mary, or Lily. Was considering Norman to go with them, but I looked over the encounter cards as I sleeved them and 1 agility is the new 1 willpower in terms of it being crippling to fail on treacheries. It's possible that Deny Existence and Ward of Protection could cover those bases, but it's rough.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

Oh yeah, I murdered the heck out of a bunch of them but it was only the small fry worth 0 ones. I couldn’t kill the main dude in time, or have him leave.

—————

Here’s an question. Can an enemy attack you if it’s already engaged with another investigator? Does it break off its engaged and then just go for you? I drew a spectral watcher card that forced it to attack but it was already engaged with a different investigator. What happens? I don’t see anything in the rule book about enemies breaking off engagement on their own.

Also second question: when I change the stat I’m using for a test and want to commit cards. Do I use what the test originally calls for, or what I changed the base stat too?

1. It just attacks you, but doesn't engage you. Remember that attacking usually causes an enemy to exhaust! There's even some cases where an enemy will attack you no matter where it is on the map.

2. If you're changing the stat you're testing with, you can commit cards with the new stat. For cards like Spectral Razor, you're adding your willpower to your strength, so you can't commit cards that boost your willpower for that test, which is a rule I hate. Let me boost whatever skills I want, even if they aren't relevant!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Return to TCU is great for the tarot cards, they make replaying old campaigns more interesting. Occult Lexicon 3 is great, and Observed is the best use of 4 XP that you didn't know exactly what to do with anyway.

Golden Bee posted:

Just ran well-connected(3) Sefina through a custom campaign. C. R. E.A.M. Preston and Jenny build up money much more slowly (albeit steadily) than Sef can.

Double double pairs so well with all the $ cards.
21 or bust is wild, even better with token manipulation. +$7 for an action is wild. Doubling it for using it and something else via painted world is even crazier.

Cheat the system is a zero action ecache, and it’s easy enough to get 4 traits. (Unscrupulous loan is survivor, the new seeker/mystic spell is level one). You get to a point where you just can’t spend the money anymore and your bonuses are letting you pass two checks a round… the issue is that stars of Hyades is a rough weakness and you can’t really avoid it forever. Maybe with a seeker any upgraded scroll of of secrets it would be easier to ditch.

That's why I don't like Sefina. Actually my opinion of an investigator goes way down if their weakness is unavoidable and nearly impossible to get rid of, and it's hard because event-based investigators are one of my favorite archetypes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just got the Revised Core set. To sleeve them, it seems like I only need 63.5x88 to have a nice snug fit? Is that right?

The official sleeve is Gamegenic, but Dragon Shield sleeves are the best quality. Don't get cheap sleeves and have them all slightly miscut or have the tops of the cards right up against the top of the sleeve, it sucks.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yorick with bless tech is one of my favorites. I don't think you're using the taboo list, but he's one of the two characters that actually gets better because of the buffs to taboo cards. The other is Gloria because those Scrolls no longer cost an action to use. Yorick gets to use Favor of the Sun to always get a positive symbol on the .35 Winchester, making it almost as reliable and hard-hitting as Cyclopean Hammer for much less XP.

I finished my two-hander of Edge of the Earth, and it was fantastic. It's a little easier than most campaigns, and the partner mechanic really brings you into it more than other campaigns where your only interaction with NPCs is a paragraph of dialog between scenarios or an ally card where it doesn't matter if they die. It was agonizing to put damage and horror on them, even though - slight spoilers for how easy/difficult it is to lose a partner - it was easier to keep them alive during a scenario than I expected. I didn't like the amount of times their fate was out of my hands though. The first one, fine, just means you can't rely on a specific character the first playthrough, but that keeps happening. Would have liked to see a test, or a heroic sacrifice option, etc. One of the endings requires a specific character to be alive, so, literally, good luck getting that to happen. There were some well balanced rewards/penalties for keeping them alive/getting them killed, respectively, but they aren't all equal.

Really inventive scenarios also, there are some creative ways they use the traditional format and some good improvements on scenario archetypes that go all the way back to Dunwich. The road chase in Innsmouth was good, but the mountain climb was an intense take on Essex County Express. I ended slipping down the mountain so much that the first agenda flipped and I had to do a mad dash up, leaving all my supplies behind.

The tekeli-li deck was interesting. It's equally punishing to the slow decks that usually only draw on upkeep as the quick Rogue/Seeker decks that draw a lot of cards. I ended up sleeving them in the color sleeves of one of my investigators, and only had to resleeve into the other color a few times. Snow tokens made even easy tests risky. Being +2 on a test wasn't as reliable. I'm thinking about playing EotE will bless and curse tokens and spending five whole minutes drawing a cascade of tokens.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

Edge of the earth has some really intriguing scenarios. Entering part three, they seem to reward completely different things, but speed and doing a ton of damage are both vital.

Not much of a spoiler, but the first scenario has a lot of ancient evils, so we ran Lily Diana and Ursula. loving annoying.

I lost a scenario to drawing Ancient Evils, reshuffling the encounter deck, and drawing another one. After cancelling two earlier in the game. Got me considering one of the Return To replacement encounter sets that are punishing but fun.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Prairie Bus posted:

Anyone have ideas for fun Seeker/Survivor builds for Innsmouth? I’ll be going in blind, and I haven’t been paying attention to the new cards. I’d like to do a Calvin deck, is he strong enough now?

With In the Thick of It from EotE maybe? He's not my style, but Survivors have lots of tricks even when their stats aren't great. Someone described them as "can do anything well, just once a turn" or something like that.

I'm not sure how blind you want to be going in, but all the investigators from the pack are outstanding in their campaign. Trish and Amanda are incredibly powerful even with the taboo list. He's not from the box, but I picked Luke as my clue getter and I wasn't disappointed.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

We got absolutely pummeled in EOTE. Might not be the best move to put all your eggs in the “amazing five XP weapon“ basket.

Yeah you need disposable assets to be ready to sacrifice no matter how amazing the Hammer is.

KPC_Mammon posted:

We went through the new campaign with Bob Jenkins and a sled dog Leo deck.

Bob and his best friend Joey are absurd, especially with the supplies you can get. I'd have occasional 9 action turns plus multiple eon chart move/investigate/Joey throws away the chart before pulling a token/scavenge the Eon Chart/put into play fast with Joey added on top.

Leo was able to get through the entire campaign losing only a single guard dog, never lost a sled dog or the campaign reward dog. Mitch and priests had a less successful survival rate.

I built a Leo deck to pair with Norman for a re-run of EotE. He's kind of perfect for it. Great stats, lots of soak, movement tricks from his Rogue side, etc. I thought about using Sled Dogs, but I was concerned about having to draw them to make them useful.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm taking Ward of Protection on every blind run or if I'm running with a dumb 1-will Rogue.

I'm not enjoying playing Norman. Astronomical Atlas plus his signature book sound awesome until you have to do it every turn. It's like playing Amanda, but with an extra mini-game attached.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

So me and my friend played through the starter set adventures the other day, really enjoyed it though I think we messed up the engagement rules a bit and we absolutely hosed the second adventure up but we ended up getting what felt like a pretty decent ending in act 3 all told.

I think the replay value of those opening ones is a bit low though and we enjoyed it enough to justify me buying one of the other expansions. Is there a consensus on the best expansion cycle to potentially get? I asked a similar question a few weeks back I think but now I might understand the comparisons better.

I figure I'm probably best off either grabbing the Edge of the Earth one or Innsmouth since that one, being the most recent in the old release format will probably be the last to get rereleased in the new method? The Dunwich rerelease is supposedly coming out Feb in the UK so could wait to grab that potentially but if we get one now we could have it finished by then. I'm curious what the cadence of the releases of the old expansions in the new format will be cause I really like the sound of Carcosa and Circle Undone the most I think but the new method does seem to be a lot easier to keep track of.

Engagement rules are complex. For a while I thought I could move away from enemies and take an attack of opportunity but otherwise escape. Whoops.

Midnight Masks, the second scenario, is very replayable and many people consider it the perfect one to test new deck builds.

Seconding Edge of the Earth, it doesn't introduce any crazy new rules and it's on the easier side.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/12/30/red-tide-rising-1/

Parallel Wendy! They saved the best for last, she seems like a lot of fun. Same stats, but new deckbuilding rules and a focus on bless/curse tokens and cards. She can go Survivor+Blessed and/or Cursed cards (with +5 deck size if she picks both Blessed and Cursed), which opens up a whole new range of deckbuilding options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xlorp posted:

A friend and I have figured how to get around certain disability issues and about to both take our first run through Carcosa.

He's got Nathaniel Cho, and I've got Jacqueline Fine. We ran them through the Zealot and they seemed a good team. We took R2 and my friend wants to press directly on even with the four traumas we each took, plus a bonus basic weakness for him. Is it a dumb idea to start a campaign at 7/ 4 sanity/ health for me and 4/ 7 for him?

With the bonus ~20 XP or however much you got from NotZ, you should be fine. Both characters have the stats and abilities to help, just bring soak.

So I've tried a bunch of parallel Wendy builds and I hate it. Physically searching through the bag to find bless/curse tokens, sometimes multiple times a turn, isn't a good time. If I was playing true solo or just being her in a multiplayer game, it'd be more fun. Doesn't help that I'm two-handing it with Trish in Innsmouth: not only does Trish keep exploding from sanity, but there are too many enemies and neither character can clear them. I thought Armageddon 0 would do a decent job, but those charges don't go very far. Sucks because she looks neat on paper, but in practice it's too finicky.

Innsmouth is my least favorite campaign, I've decided. The testless damage/horror I've already mentioned, but the only scenario that stands out is Horror in High Gear: all the others jumble together in my head because they're just Tidal Tunnels and RNG key placement. Edge of the Earth does everything Innsmouth does, but waaayyy better.