Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My girlfriend stumbled upon this game while I was at a game store trying to hunt down Netrunner packs lately-- the theme super appeals to her, and I like that it is co-op.

How are the initial campaigns at just 2 player? Do you miss out not playing with more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
What exactly is that expansion? Is it an addon to the original core box's scenario? Like harder mode or something?

I'm new to Arkham so I am curious and it is a little unclear.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I want the giant 4-player one just because they currently don't have any stock and I can't buy it. Plus this is one of the few games where a giant mat makes sense.

My girlfriend loves the mat that has the lady surrounded by flames. I forget the card name.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My girlfriend and I played the Core Set intro scenario, and got our poo poo pushed in by the ghoul priest. This seems to be a common thing.

Turns out apparently Retaliate only triggers if you do a swing and a miss? I totally thought it was after every interaction with the dude, so yeah... Roland Banks went down a bit quicker than he should have.

Just a few clarifications requested:
(1) I've seen a lot of confusion about engaging an enemy. I've seen a whole youtube video on the intricacies of it, which was helpful. However, a baddie should pretty much always be engaged to a player unless that baddie is exhausted, right? They auto-engage if spawned in a room with a player, if it pursuing someone via Hunter into a room, or if a player moves into a room with it already there, or if Aloof.

(2) So a Hunter can move and deal damage in the same turn if a player is within one room of it? Since move is before damage on the Enemy Phase. Ouch.

(3) If a player Evades an enemy, that enemy become exhausted and no longer are engaged but just chillaxing in the same room now. If other player in the same room can Fight that enemy to do some damage without becoming engaged, correct?

(4) If a player is engaged in an enemy, another player can Fight them but if they miss they hurt the first player.

(5) If you're engaged with an enemy, and it is your turn, you need to do specific fight-related things or else you trigger an Attack of Opportunity. I take it that every enemy engaged to you gets to hit you if you do that?

(6) Also, can a player trigger things off of their already-played Asset cards that don't take a Click (sorry, Netrunner term is going to forever stick with me on that) to do it without triggering an AOO?

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 11, 2018

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Pick up a copy of Android Mainframe for like 12 bux and then use that game's blue plastic dividers for location connections.

Of course neon blue doesn't really fit the theme, but oh well.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Still getting a feel for this game-- however in a two player group with my girlfriend, I accidentally took Roland for the first two scenarios of Night of the Zealot, leaving her with Wendy or Agnes (when I rebuilt the latter out of Wendy's cards for her).

Man, mistake. My girlfriend is less familiar with board games and strategy, so she really should have started out as Roland. Dude just rolls around beating people up and taking clues from corpses. Way easier than trying to juggle spells or whatever is going on with Wendy.

When we swapped, the game got a lot more smooth. She no longer had like panic attacks trying to figure out what to do every turn, just basically was like "do I have a weapon? Good. Lets kill some cultists!"

It seems the recommendation of the core set of Roland plus Wendy means the latter is kinda weak for investigating. Probably because Roland uses Daisy's cards by default? I'd think a pure fighter and pure investigator would be easier for new players than what seems like Wendy's more generalist thing going on.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Starting Dunwich after being disappointed by how brutal Night of the Zealot is = hellz yeah.

Also my girlfriend is playing Zoey and I'm curious if I should be worried at how much she's enjoying being a mass murder machine.

Oh well, Duke will protect me. Duke rocks.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Zoey and Pete is a better combo. Pete is really strong but not insane like Rex.

Here's the Zoey and Pete decks that I am currently running Dunwich with

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 21, 2018

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Just wait until the third scenario!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

The Lord of Hats posted:

Did the first two scenarios with a friend using the store demo copy, and I've now picked up the core set and The Forgotten Age.

Does this have the usual FFG thing of "actually, you need to buy three core sets"? It does, doesn't it.

Two cores only. Throw away the extra player weaknesses and encounter cards unfortunately.

So basically you're buying a second core for just half of the cards of the second core. Oh well.

The cores are incredibly cheap right now as they are trying hard to make the core their loss leader for getting people to buy all of the other packs.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Jarvisi posted:

As someone looking to start buying scenarios to expand the core box. What's the best storage solution for this? I want to actually keep this poo poo organized

Scenario cards:

Return to Night of Zealot box + a quarter inch bit of foam along the side to make them fit, as the box is a little wide. Then print out custom horizontal dividers for stuff past night of the zealot.

Investigator cards:

Binders, sorted by class, then type of card, then release

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Dunwich is mechanically lamer compared to the rest due to it being the first made. Play it first.

FA sounds brutal for the first time.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It looks like more stock of the novellas is circulating now if people are interested in those.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
A good starter duo is Zoey and Ashcan Pete.

Zoey murders anything and Ashcan can do double duty of clue gathering and fighting sometimes.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I somehow accidentally ordered one extra of The Pallid Mask and The Forgotten Age in a recent order to fill out what I was missing.

Anyone want these for cheap? Shipping is going to suck due to the size of the FA box.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Woodstock posted:

I'm a new player. We just played our first scenario of NotZ on standard difficulty. My partner made it out via a resign and I got knocked out. I had a blast.

We're coming off of Gloomhaven- we don't mind getting killed, but just to check: Does that sound about right for a first playthrough?

I would guess the first scenario is easier than the other 2.. so should we expect to not make it out of most scenarios alive? Or is there a noticeable learning curve?

I think that the third scenario is like incredibly hard on purpose just to make people think that the base game is not too easy.

Having all of the non-parley/dead cultists from scenario 2 spawn in 3 is a real punch in the dick right before the boss fight.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Do you guys tend to just use recommended decks offered by FFG for investigators for campaigns, or what?

I love this game but deck building is like my least favorite part of it. Especially since my girlfriend kind of leaves that to me for her deck too.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah, I use ArkhamDB, it just seems like there are so many decks posted that it is hard to sort the good from the crap.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I would like some combination recommendations as well for 2P.

We kinda got burned on Dunwich by picking wrong investigators.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My girlfriend really likes Arkham but really isn't the best at strategy. I tried making her a Zoey deck for Dunwich, but she got bored/frustrated when not able to kill things. Halfway through the campaign, I remade her a Jenny deck, which she likes more since it is a bit more of a generalist. However, the campaign has still been really hit and miss since I'm playing Pete, so we kind of have two generalists.

I know Zoey+Rex was pretty much the recommended combo for Dunwich, but I wanted to avoid Rex since he was kinda too broken good.

Going into other campaigns, what would you pros recommend for good intro combos? I know I asked this before, but I guess I needed to be more specific. Basically 2P combos recommendations for each campaign. Since it's just her and I for the most part, I'm trying to find each least one investigator per pair that are interesting but also are not too hard too play (like the painter in Carcosa from the looks of her).

I can find specific good decks for each investigator on ArkhamDB, I just need recommendations for the actual investigators to go after. Also, I have Silas and the other novella cards now.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I splurged and bought two of Team Covenant's nice Forgotten Age themed "mythos boards" to go along with the two other generically Arkhamed themes boards, for the few times that I actually have four players. Plus, it should make my girlfriend and I's descent into that campaign a bit more memorable.

I can't recommend TC's tokens and boards enough. If you got some money to burn, definitely check them out. Their stuff plus some 25mm coin capsules for the chaos tokens (and circular player portraits that I printed myself) have been the best upgrades I've ever done for a game that I own.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Play Forgotten Age yourself using 2x investigators solo.

That campaign is less likely to be spoiled by playing it again.

You can also find some scenarios released by fans online to print out and play too!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm going into Carcosa blind with a kill-kill-kill and get clues focused Roland and a somewhat clue-gathering-but-also-able-to-fight Agnes.

Curtain Call kicked my dick in though, as I think I got unlucky and didn't draw poo poo for Agnes and she failed a mental test for like -4 horror at once, and had a ghost on her that kept hitting her for only health and no mental while her being unable to hit back due to no Shriveling out yet and an intellect of only 2 to the ghost's test of 3.

Then Roland got stuck at a location with a pretty lovely enemy on him and no clues on the location... AND a Spires of Carcosa on it. "Cool, the Doom probably counts as clues so I can kill stuff with +3 on my signature gun ANDget the doom off as if it was clues" -- NOPE. Doom is NOT clues and only way to get doom off was to use that card's investigate apparently. Plus, fun fact, in regards to Roland's weakness: "You cannot trigger Cover Up if there are no clues on your location."

Nothing like feeling like I was doing well with at least Roland only to realize I had interpreted the rules wrong!

I'm curious if maybe we picked the wrong investigators for Carcosa? We played Pete and Jenny in Dunwich and always felt kinda behind on fighting, so I picked these and my partner really likes the idea of Agnes-- so if we gotta swap it's probably gonna be me out of Roland. I'm hoping that I maybe just got pretty unlucky.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 29, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Orange Devil posted:

Well you've got 2 investigators who are great at fighting and ok at gathering clues. Make sure you load up on clue-gathering cards and you can be alright. Good luck with Roland's sanity in Carcosa though.

Yeah, I am kinda realizing that w/r/t sanity. I think the two decks I picked may have been made more for Dunwich than Carosa.

I think I've got all of the clue gathering I can think of for each though.

edit - Maybe I'll go with Finn instead of Roland.

edit edit - Maybe not since Agnes already is running ol' Big Man on Campus

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 29, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah with Curtain Call we basically had the problem of not drawing any tools we need and getting swamped in the first 4 turns. It was a real kick in the teeth for us trying to break open a new highly lauded campaign after kind of slogging through Dunwich with only decent-at-fighting characters for that fight-heavy campaign (plus having to cheat and re-roll chaos bag draws at least twice a scenario to have any semblance of fun instead of just failing everything).

The above is why I'm kind of being extra careful about picking a good combo this time.

I'll look into replacing Roland with something more clue gathering like Finn deck to compliment Agnes. My girlfriend really likes the idea of Agnes for now and it looks like Carcosa has a lot of horror for Agnes to shine in. So I just need to find a good compliment to the Waitress now.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 29, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Carolyn and Agnes looks as broken as Zoey and Rex on Dunwich, jeez.

I was looking into a semi-fightable Finn that has a lot of card recursion via Scavenging. Like this or this.

Maybe I'll just go straight clue gathering though.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

If you do go with Finn post the results after your playthrough.

That Finn deck posted above was stupid good until the taboo list hit and I've been looking for an alternate role for him.

Yeah, I didn't want to use Milan due to the taboo list.

My girlfriend completely didn't understand Meat Cleaver, she thought "spend an additional horror to deal a damage OR fight". It took kind of an argument for me to explain it to her which soured the whole last third of the Curtain Call scenario. It didn't click with her that you pause your action of Fighting with meat cleave after you take a horror to initiate the fight action, then Agnes can dish a damage because of that horror, and then you continue the fight action. Oh, arguing about board games, such fun times for couples-- especially when you're dating someone stubborn!

I ran with this Finn deck that uses Scavenging. I didn't have any XP so no lockpicks, and I also changed Sneak Attack to Slight of Hand. I dunno if that was a wise move, but whatever. I feel like Slight of Hand will let me spend 1 to install a weapon, use the weapon, and then it goes back in my hand for a skill test maybe later, versus the one use 2x dmg of Sneak Attack.

Otherwise We barely beat it by the skin of us probably accidentally cheating here or there, but didn't get the +XP from the singing monster as it spawned again right on the turn the whole place was on fire. But we got 5 XP otherwise and thus I can run Lockpicks now.

All in all, a bit bumpy. She got Meat Cleaver turn 1, but soaked so much horror that we both would have gone insane unless I did all 4x uses of Liquid Courage. She didn't even draw a Shriving and went through 90% of her deck, but hey that's Mystic I guess.

I didn't really do much recursion as I didn't have any items in my discard for a while. However, I had a shitload of things to constantly skill test with, and my double or nothing of "Watch this!" helped me get Leo out by like turn 5. Having four actions plus a free evade was pretty cool. I just think I'll probably miss Sneak Attack, but oh well.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 30, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I didn't want to make my guy too easy, so I didn't go Milan. (edit - sort of why didn't use Rex in Dunwich)

Still kind of up in the air about Meat Cleaver. I was going to run Baseball Bat, but Carcosa has 3x skull tokens so it would probably be broken a lot.

However, my gf didn't see or get her Peter Sylvestry out at all, so she had to soak a lot of horror and almost died from it a few times, so I don't know if the pings from the meat cleaver's horror was helpful.

edit2 - gently caress it, gonna go back to Baseball Bat. Esp since my gf and I kinda argued about her not understanding meat cleaver for so long that the card is probably cursed now, heh.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 30, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I was hesitant about that Enchanted Blade due to it using an Arcane Slot, and both Shriving and Rite of Seeking want to use those. Plus I think it seems good enough that my gf would have wanted to hold onto it rather than over-write it with a better Arcane slot if she got one.

Fighting with a weapon is like not what Agnes should be doing, which is why I initially included the Meat Cleaver so she could ping things with the horror from it should she need to fight. It just sucks that turn 1 in our game my gf got the Meat Cleaver and didn't see Shriveling at all the entire game, so she got a bad opinion of Agnes' ability to fight.

Baseball Bat has the downside of being thrown away on those skull icons, but doesn't use an Arcane slot and has a better usage of +2 fight for earlier in the scenario. I think having it be thrown away is probably better for teaching that Agnes should be using spells if need be.

It's also why I did a bit of a more fight-able Finn instead of just pure clue-gatherer Finn, as I need to pick up the slack of beating stuff up if need be (Shriveling out of clues, etc).

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Carcosa update:

I'm rocking my Scavenger Finn deck, I really am enjoying it. Once Lockpicks gets out along with my engine of Scavenging and the Smoking amulet, it feels great to investigate for 8 once a turn and get a free card and to get an item back from my discard. I don't feel too crippled either without them. Having Leo out early via the "Watch This!" skill test is great, as four actions per turn plus a free evade is awesome.

My girlfriend is enjoying Agnes, even if we accidentally cheated on the first two scenarios of Carcosa by assigning damage to enemies after dumping horror on Peter Syvestry. By the third scenario we figured that out. She still has the problem of constantly feeling crippled without Shriveling or Rite of Seeking, but I guess that's Agnes alright. I'm tempted to have her throw in a Song of the Dead or two just to give her more options besides falling back on the baseball bat.

Unfortunately, we accidentally cheated again on Echos of the Past by not noticing that that some of the drat doom-ticking Cultists were Aloof. Ugh.

Oh well, it wouldn't Arkham without realizing how much harder the game you just squeezed by would be if you hadn't unknowingly/accidentally cheated some how!

Also, I really enjoyed Echos of the Past's doom count. For once it didn't feel like the scenario was a race against the clock since the doom didn't advance unless via encounter deck draws or those cultists that would killed quickly.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I haven't gotten around to opening the Guardians of the Abyss, but I'm guessing the Blob is going to be in a package like that, of stuff meant for GenCon/other events?

It seems like their Hotel Excelsior is a standalone thing, so they are releasing multiple stand alones this year.

I remember that Labyrinths of Lunacy was meant for like multiple groups-- are Blob and Abyss like that as well, or what just for Labyrinths?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Train ride dumps you in a swamp, especially if you failed the scenario and got lost in time and space.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

KPC_Mammon posted:

I introduced Arkham Horror to a new player!

They pulled rotting remains two turns in a row towards the end of the introductory mission, drew an auto fail for both, and were defeated at a high shroud location while carrying most of the clues.

I don't think they'll ever want to play again.

Honestly, if I was teaching the game to a new player, I'd pull some of those more bullshit cards. Especially if they're playing Roland and his five sanity. Like how I did at first. Painful memories.

Carcosa update: Finn & Agnes have been rocking Carcosa but holy poo poo Dim Carcosa can suck a fat one. At least it's not as much of a sudden out-of-left-field kick in a dick as the Devourer Below was.

I'm excited to start the Forgotten Age with my girlfriend, but man am I going to miss Finn. I don't want to use him again but I can already tell that I am getting super spoiled off of his free Evade each turn.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 21, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Shrecknet posted:

switch to ursula because her free investigate feels even better

Girlfriend is going to Ursula from Agnes, and to change from being the monster slayer to the clue gatherer.

I'm probably going to go Leo, however I am hesitant at slaying everything with as his evade sucks but once I get past the first scenario I can upgrade into some Cat Burglars at least.

Probably something like this Leo deck but with the flashlights replaced with Machetes to let Ursula handle the clues and having just two weapons to start seems scary. Edit - hmm, maybe this Leo deck instead.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 22, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Shrecknet posted:

I dont love Leo but I'm hard pressed to suggest another Guardian if you just finished a campaign with Roland. Hes basically the EtF from NetRunner of AHLCG; you have to have a compelling reason NOT to roll with him.

No, I didn't just finish a campaign with Roland-- I had mentioned before that I was thinking of trying Roland for Carcosa but Curtain Call quickly disabused me of that so I went with Finn instead.

I'm going to go Leo and my girlfriend is going to go Ursula for our blind playthrough of TFA. I can already tell that supplies are going to be laff.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I think I may just cheat and have each of the two us get 10 supplies to start instead of 7, honestly.

Also, still trying to decide on exactly what Leo deck to take. For TFA specifically I am curious if I should spend a lot of card slots on evade-style things like Elusive, Cheap Shot, and I'm Outta Here.

Also also wondering how much I'm going to hate things by going with 4x weapons and no flashlights. However, I'll have Ursula around for that I guess.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

KPC_Mammon posted:

Having just played through that campaign with a group with underwhelming evade I'd say it's completely doable with a combat focused Leo. Just bring lots of allies to take hits.

I really like venturer and firearms with him.

Yeah, the first deck I was looking at had firearms and venturer but quickly replaces venturer with cat burgler.

I guess I just gotta get over how much fun it was to dive into being forced to use evasion way more than I had before thanks to Finn in Carcosa: "No hunter? No problem!"

Otherwise, FFG just announced the seeker for Dream Eaters, and gently caress the investigator looks like crazy powerful to the point of near broken.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah, but I need dem evades from Cat Burglars.

Well Prepared looks also though. I've mostly played Survivor and Rogue in the last three campaigns so I'm not too familiar with Guardians' upgrades and that one looks rad, especially with Leo's Mitch Brown

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Matt Newman is having a Reddit AMA here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My girlfriend and I got around to beating Carcosa with the Agnes + Finn duo that I posted about earlier.

The combo was pretty fun, even though I feel like I probably should have saved Finn for The Forgotten Age as I've grown really spoiled on his free evade action each turn.

We unfortunately cheated a bit on Dim Carcosa, by not remembering to move one of the enemies when a location flips neighboring to it. Also, we may have re-drawn an auto-fail tentacle here or there. But Dim Carcosa seems pretty much one of the hardest scenarios I've seen so far unless a lot of stars align otherwise, so oh well.

Pretty fun campaign though, definitely a step above Dunwich on the writing and complexity. We had the slightly more doubt-filled run through, which I think lead to better writing on the feeling of what the gently caress was going on.

I think Agnes and Finn are going to continue their really weird dates night by going to Venice after this, as they definitely do not want to go to Paris ever again. Then it's Ursula and Leo off to the jungle.