Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

sexart posted:

Zoey works really well with Mystic cards. I threw in 2x Drawn to the Flame, 2x Rite of Seeking just so she could do some decent clue hunting when there were no baddies around. The last off-class card I need to experiment more with, I had 1x Ward of Protection but with her low Sanity as it is I think Fearless or Clarity of Mind might be better.

My Zoey always packs Liquid Courage--nothing like a little bathtub gin to take the edge off...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

bobvonunheil posted:

I've had trouble working out how damage assignment works despite reading and re-reading the rules, can the thread chime in?

If I have an ally who has 1 Health and 1 Sanity, and I take a hit of 1 damage and 1 horror, can I assign both of those to the ally or only one before the ally is defeated?

I'll piggyback on this to add: am I correct that you can divide up incoming damage between you and your allies as you see fit? If I've got, say, 3 horror coming in to Agnes can I give her just one to trigger her ability and put the other two on an ally or asset?

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Really wished I had preordered Dunwich Legacy. I've been waiting for it to restock and it's still sold out everywhere

How badly do you want it? Fantasy Flight is my FLGS, and last I checked they still had a bunch of copies on the shelf. PM me and I can buy one and ship it to you.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

When starting a new campaign, can you keep your investigator decks from the previous campaign? We're starting Dunwich today after finishing Night of the Zealot and I'm wondering if we're required to start our decks over at level 0 or if we should keep our upgraded decks, trauma and all. The Campaign rules don't specify, but I can't imagine why they'd bother with giving us all 2 horror at the end of the last scenario if we're supposed to start over again.

If our decks do persist, what should I do with Lita Chandler? I assume that card stays in my investigators deck and can't be traded, and if I end up so traumatized I have to pick a new investigator then it would go away permanently. But again, the Rules Reference doesn't say.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Kerro posted:

the Dunwich campaign seems designed for investigators starting with 0 xp, so you'd likely find it much easier if you started with your experienced investigators.

We had 2 new players starting out at level 0, and our two veteran investigators are both pretty traumatized so it kind of balanced out.

Another question--can any investigator complete Search for Izzie when it's attached to a location or only Jenny?

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Searching for Izzie only ever references "you," specifically in the last part about suffering trauma (which is different from how Smite the Wicked is written)

The FAQ changes the second part's wording to say Jenny specifically.

FFG Arkham Horror FAQ posted:

(1.0) Searching for Izzie (TDL 11)
is card’s Forced ability should read: “When the game ends, if Searching for Izzie is in play: Jenny Barnes suffers 1 mental trauma."

The first half of the card text still seems a little vague to me, but I'm ruling that any investigator can look for Izzie if they're in the location.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Does FFG offer replacement cards when they update the text on them like that?

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Badgers Nadgers posted:

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Think I'll pick up two core sets and see how we get on, then grab Dunwich when it comes back into stock.

If you're impatient, Fantasy Flight's retail store in MN is my FLGS and they have copies of everything in stock right now. I've sent a couple of items out to other goons in the thread already. Send me a PM if you need anything.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Rad Valtar posted:

It seems impossible to find The Dunwich Legacy for a decent price right now. Hoping they print more soon.

I'll be at the FFG HQ retail store tomorrow, they always have a bunch. I can send you one if you want, just PM me.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Does anybody here play Wendy Adams these days? I never hear much about her, but I'm curious if the expanding card pool has done her any favors.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Rad Valtar posted:

Received it in the mail today, thank you for being a kind goon.

'Community Service' I call it. Maybe I can build up enough karma to somehow get my hands on Marie Lambeau!

If anybody else is having trouble finding AH expansions in stock, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

None whatsoever. You are the most Pathfinderest of Pathfinders.

I dunno... wouldn't that be using Teamwork in a 4 person game to take 2 pathfinders from every other player so you have 8?

Is that even legal? It shouldn't be...

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

PJOmega posted:

Teamwork can only exchange Assets with the Ally or Item subtype.

I knew it was too good to be true.

I've decided to try making Agnes a drug addict. With both Painkillers and a Smoking Pipe in play she can turn physical damage into mental to trigger her ability at will, then turn it right back into physical damage. I don't know for sure though, can damage hitting the pipe be assigned to assets like a Bulletproof Vest?

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

I'm agonizing over whether or not to throw together a new character or try and finish the last two Dunwich scenarios with my battered, broken Zoey. She was always a little nutty, but Undimensioned and Unseen pushed her up to 5 mental trauma, meaning she'll start the game 1 brain away from madness.

On the other hand, she's got a hell of a lot of experience sunk into her. Also, I've already played through Where Doom Awaits with my solo Roland and found out the hard way that it might very well be the last Dunwich scenario if we fail. If that's the case, I worry it's a bit late in game to be trying to bring in someone new.

If I can get my hands on an amulet or some booze early on I could be fine, but if not she could end up going insane and throwing the game for the whole team.

quote:

Zoey Samaras

Assets
1x First Aid (Core Set)
2x Machete (Core Set)
1x Beat Cop[2] (Core Set)
2x Shotgun[4] (Core Set)
1x Elder Sign Amulet[3] (Core Set)
1x Zoey's Cross (The Dunwich Legacy)
1x Liquid Courage (The Dunwich Legacy)
1x Brother Xavier[1] (The Miskatonic Museum)
1x Bandolier (The Essex County Express)
1x Relic Hunter[3] (The Essex County Express)
1x Keen Eye[3] (Blood on the Altar)

Events
1x Evidence! (Core Set)
2x Dodge (Core Set)
2x Extra Ammunition[1] (Core Set)
1x Elusive (Core Set)
1x Drawn to the Flame (Core Set)
1x Teamwork (The Dunwich Legacy)
2x Taunt[2] (The Dunwich Legacy)
1x Emergency Aid (The Miskatonic Museum)
1x Prepared for the Worst (Blood on the Altar)
2x "If it bleeds..." (Undimensioned and Unseen)

Skills
2x Vicious Blow (Core Set)
1x Perception (Core Set)
1x Overpower (Core Set)
1x Manual Dexterity (Core Set)
1x Unexpected Courage (Core Set)

Treacheries
1x Smite the Wicked (The Dunwich Legacy)
1x Across Space and Time (The Essex County Express)

Enemies
1x Mob Enforcer (Core Set)

Decisions!

Obama 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 16, 2017

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

The scenario also has the suitcase stealing text which is never mentioned again, so it seems like it just didn't get the testing it needed to iron out all the problems.

I think I remember one of the devs in a YouTube interview commenting on that--the idea was to give players the sense that it COULD have a future consequence, even if mechanically it doesn't. It's not sloppiness, just them experimenting with ways to play up the RPG feel of the narrative.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

For Dunwich I printed off these stickers and mounted them to 25mm wooden disks for the investigator tokens. They work great, but now I'm hard up trying to find ones for the new Carcosa investigators.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Technical Question: If William Yorrick has Brother Xavier out, and Xavier dies, doing two damage to an enemy and killing it, does that kill trigger Yorrick's innate ability?

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

I've been goofing around with Yorick's innate ability and found out some subtleties worth sharing.

For example, you can discard a knife for a fight check and, if you kill the enemy, trigger Yorick's ability to immediately re-equip it, but the same does not hold true for breaking the baseball bat with a skull or tentacle draw when killing something because the weapon doesn't move to the discard until after the fight (and Yorick's ability trigger) has resolved.

Also, asset cards committed for their icons to a fight check that defeats an enemy cannot be immediately equipped with Yorick's ability because it resolves before they are technically added to the discard. Sadly, no pitching your leather coat at an enemy for the kill just to sneakily equip it for free in the same action.

And as far as I know, assets you have in play cannot be arbitrarily discarded just so you can resurrect them later. Even if you use up all of your smoking pipe, you're stuck with it on the table unless something like a treachery card specifically forces you to discard it. A gun with no bullets can be gotten rid of, but only by equipping another hand item when your available slots are all full.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Curtain Call question: Are the extra tokens added to the Chaos Bag meant to stay in there for future scenarios? Previously they've always specified new tiles should be added 'for the remainder of the campaign', but this time they didn't.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Ragnar34 posted:

Stubborn detective is always pretty funny. Yesterday I was Wendy and I was fighting off four ghouls with a baseball bat and he popped up like, "I know what you did, you monster!" Now there's a man who's bad at reading the room.

I imagine him as Columbo.

*RAAAAARGH*
“I understand, you’re a very busy woman, but there’s just this ONE THING about the case I can’t quite figure out...”

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

Pretty sure Victory 0 isn't so much cheeky bullshit rather than an elegant way to prevent cards from being shuffled back into the encounter deck after they've been taken care of once.

Also, I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of investigator cards coming in the future that allow you to manipulate cards in the victory display somehow.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

I tried putting together a Wendy deck using Dark Horse/Madame La Branche. Played through Dunwich with it last night and it worked pretty well (right up until I got devoured by Yog-Sothoth anyway). It was a lot of fun, so I thought I'd share:

Assets
1x Wendy's Amulet (Core Set)
2x Hard Knocks (Core Set)
2x Scavenging (Core Set)
2x Flashlight (Core Set)
2x Fire Axe (The Dunwich Legacy)
2x Lone Wolf (Blood on the Altar)
2x Dark Horse (Undimensioned and Unseen)
2x Gravedigger's Shovel (The Path to Carcosa)
2x Madame Labranche (A Phantom of Truth)

Events
1x Elusive (Core Set)
1x Sneak Attack (Core Set)
1x Bait and Switch (The Dunwich Legacy)
1x Hiding Spot (The Path to Carcosa)
1x Fight or Flight (The Unspeakable Oath)
1x Cheap Shot (A Phantom of Truth)

Skills
1x Survival Instinct (Core Set)
1x Guts (Core Set)
1x Perception (Core Set)
1x Overpower (Core Set)
2x Quick Thinking (Undimensioned and Unseen)
2x Resourceful (The Path to Carcosa)

Treachery
1x Abandoned and Alone (Core Set)

Once you replace Hard Knocks with Plucky, replace Flashlight with Lockpicks, and grab Scrapper, it becomes very flexible and reliable for Solo play. Having 2-3 supply/turn to blow on skill pumps and Fire Axes is neat, and investigating at a skill of 9 is a great way to reliably trigger Scavenging to recur Wendy's Amulet.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Quidthulhu posted:

Does it diminish the experience with a group of you already know a lot of the gimmicks?

In my experience this pales in comparison to how many times we’ve cocked up the rules of a scenario because it was our first go and we didn’t figure out quite how the mechanics were supposed to work out until later. A Phantom of Truth had us all baffled because we sidn’t know there were two Agenda 2 cards and used the wrong one.

My new plan is to keep a separate solo campaign going and test out each scenario before playing with the group.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Old Swerdlow posted:

Does anyone else feel guilty for sometimes fudging an outcome or straight up cheating once in a while?

The group I play with is always visibly deflated when we lose a scenario. I try to remind them that this game is meant to be lost on occasion, and a lot of time the consequences are not as severe as it feels like they are. I thought Essex County Express in particular was kinda meant to be a crapshoot, where losing on account of getting sucked into the void was meant to be an inconvenience more than a crippling blow.

That being said, when I solo campaigns I usually allow myself one do-over in case things go pear-shaped--especially if I'm testing out a deck and getting devoured ruins the experiment.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Toot Toot!

Looks like we've got a new class of permanents coming to reduce XP costs.

Shrewd Analysis gives you a 2 for 1 upgrade on Untranslated/Unidentified cards, but you have to pick them at random (maybe we'll see more than just Acidic Ichor now?).

Arcane Research lets you take a mental trauma in exchange for a 1XP discount on the first spell you buy after every scenario--that could be a good 6-8XP value over the course of a campaign. Seems like a good choice for Norman Withers maybe?

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

New book, new investigator--toss Silas Marsh on the growing pile of 'investigators who will be released in a future expansion'. I'm still holding my breath for Marie Lambeau.

Anyway, we all remember Silas from his pro tentacle-wrestling days on Overpower. 4 Fight and 4 Evade, so he's a good murder machine, but 2 Intellect and 2 Will are the price you pay. At 5 sanity he'll be struggling not to lose his mind, but once you've got him whittled down to 3 his ability to recur skill cards makes him a great candidate for abusing those 4-pip Desperate skill cards all day long. I'm getting a little bored of seeing Peter Sylvestre all the time, but he's probably the best choice for this guy.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

I buy them. . . They're terrible books.

I'm baffled by their tone--they read less like tales of inexplicable weirdness than they do mediocre young-adult fiction. I wish they were more 'Lovecraft/Weird Tales/Stephen King' and less 'Nun-with-a-shotgun-on-a-motorcycle'. I guess that's just how FFG thinks of their brand of Arkham.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Lichtenstein posted:

what

matt what are you even

how

why

Well, I don't think any of us expected THAT...

My first thought is of Cal as a self-destructive, pipe puffing, pill popping, martyr. He could probably use a lot of bears and coats, and a rabbit's foot glued to his neck.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Lichtenstein posted:

Cat Burglar is weird, because it boosts your agility and then has an ability that ensures you don't really have to use it.

Rogues could use more cards like Lockpicks that replace/supplement other skills with your Agility—maybe even a character who has this as their ability.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

If it turns out Finn Edwards can’t carry the 1903 Springfield, I’m gonna cry.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Zerf posted:

I think you'd better prepare a good supply of napkins...

If he can’t, I will go through a lot of tissues.
But if he CAN... I will ALSO need a lot of tissues!*

Dammit, I just want the rifle to stop being dead card! Maybe if Leo can use a couple Stray Cats or something?

Still not as bad as Blackjack though. What the hell was that about, Matt?

*see, because MASTURBATING lol

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Exactly 1 week until Forgotten Age releases and there’s no new article up? FFG, you’re slipping...

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

Survival Knife is really good if you're going with the tanky type build like Yorick wants to do and Mark can pull off as well. Use them dogs + beat cop damage and now this to never actually take attack actions and still kill everyone.

I want to see a tanky Leo build with Survival Knife, Guard Dogs, Hired Muscle, and Armor of Ardennes.

Call it ‘One Man Army’.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Tried the first Forgotten Age scenario out last night and had some befuddlement—there’s an encounter card that gives you the choice to either ‘assign 5 damage to an ally asset’ or take direct damage. The Rules Reference says ‘An asset cannot be assigned damage beyond the amount of damage it would take to defeat the card, and cannot be assigned horror beyond the amount of horror it would take to defeat the card.’ So does the excess damage spill over? Or can I not choose that option unless I have an ally that can take full 5 damage? If so that’s crazy, because there isn’t one outside of Brother Xavier with 2 copies of Trusted, and the way it’s worded doesn’t sound like you can spread it out on several allies.

Anybody else find a resolution for that question?

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Bosushi! posted:

There's one line in the rules reference that says "All damage/horror that cannot be assigned to an
asset must be assigned to the investigator", so I suspect it would spill over. That doesn't seem to jive with the flavor of the card, though, and I wonder if they meant to say to specify direct damage to an ally.

It looks like I answered my own question while looking into the completely different issue of if Survival Knife can trigger off of damage to your allies or just your investigator (it's the former).

It comes down to the difference between being 'dealt' damage and being 'assigned' damage. When 'you' get dealt damage, you can then choose to 'assign' that damage to your investigator and/or any of their controlled assets. In the case of the card I was asking about (Snake Bite, if you were wondering), the damage is being 'dealt' not to you but to one of your allies directly, meaning all of it goes on that ally and nowhere else.

It's a fine grain distinction, but the upshot is that the card works the way one would expect it to--you have a choice to either wound your Investigator with the snake bite or you kill off one of your disposable allies instead.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

KPC_Mammon posted:

Does anyone think Leo can make reasonable use of Hired Muscle?

Hired Muscle & Treasure Hunter are great with Leo! Compare them to Keen Eye, which is 2 Supply for +1 to a skill for a single phase. For the same price, Leo can get 3 turns of boost. They also make great fodder for triggering things like Decorated Skull or Survival Knife, and Treasure Hunter is good to have if you’re running Burglary.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

TipTow posted:

Any *general* deckbuilding tips for someone building their first deck?

A rule of thumb I use for a 30 card deck is 12 Assets, 10 Events, 8 Skills—somewhere around there should keep an average investigator balanced.

Start with thinking about what you want your deck to do and what cards are essential to that. Don’t get carried away with lots of cute combos that compete for deck space—focus on one thing and try to pick cards that help it along.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

I would love to see Roland with Quick Study, Well Prepared, and Shotgun—drop a clue to attack at Fight +8 (!) for a reliable 5 damage and score a kill to pick it back up.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

Holy gently caress that first scenario is insane. Does it get any easier/less assholey?

It's designed to give players trauma. In every sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

If I play Mind Wipe on Serpents of Yig, does the Elder Sign token remain sealed on it or does it get set free?