Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

alg posted:

Why does everyone have to spend a boatload of money on cardboard dividers. Use a binder and ultra pro black pages and a card box from your flgs.

I like pretty things and have way too many hobby supplies in my basement. Miniature painting, terrain, and such gives me a lot of stuff to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
They are just dividers from boardgamegeek. Check under Files. I also have a laminator.

These are the ones i used:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140995/arkham-horror-lcg-horizontal-dividers-ryno-subscri

The dividers for the scenario deck components is the most useful part. I hope he updates for the expansions soon.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
We just played The House Always Wins last night, and the new guy picked Daisy...
He had a boring first game.

I wish i would have known that was going to happrn going into it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Rex really does suck poo poo. Has anyone found a reason to play him beyond drinking a ton and being "that guy" during game night?

I am putting a Zoe deck together tonight, because killing bad guys is awesome.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have always thought that for Arkham products, on average you lose. You die and go insane in Arkham.

To me, when I play it really is more of the story.

That all being said, if you want to win -- play the hobo.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have all the cards so far, and I am having guys over to play next week.

Which 4 (or 5) investigators should I build? I need to make sure they are very different.

I was thinking Roland, Skids, The Hobo, Daisy, and the Trumpet Player.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Ashcan Pete is, in my opinion, the strongest investigator in the game. However, he is balanced by his dependence on his dog, and his HUGE weakness to trauma.

In continued scenario play, his base stats really become his weakness. I think thematically and in-game he is just a great character.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
If i was making a veterinarian investigator's weakness, i would touch on how horrible it is when pets die.

I would have it do 1 horror per creature in all investigators discard piles (up to 3). If no creatures, discard 2 cards and shuffle it back into your deck.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
On harder difficulties, she can also negate a little bit of how bad some of the chaos tokens are. if you play in a narrative manner, it is fun to act out Annie.

Edit: Her amulet also lets you do cool things. I.e. Use a event for its icons to help a friend, and then play it out of your discard pile.

The experienced survivor and rogue cards are also pretty powerful.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 3, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Ahhhhhhhhh! My friend got me a copy of the 12 player gencon scenario. It is a stand alone that plays with 3 separate groups of 1 to 4 players each.

My friend said it was a lot of fun.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Skids can kill poo poo, and with Mind over Matter so can Daisy!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Rex shines like crazy in a 4 player scenario. So many clues to vacuum up in a single action... :allears:

I havent played Rex yet. What happened?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
As long as it is your Brother Xavier, i would say yes.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Um, Calvin Wright ... what the gently caress? Is he good and I am dumb?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Had a great time last night doing Unspeakable Oath and Phantom of Truth.

The Chef and the Gravedigger might not be the best at investigating, but we cut up a lot of cultists into clues, leather coats, turned legs into baseball bats and such.

Dynamite, Beat Cop, Zoeys Cross, and two Lanterns made for a anticlimactic battle at the end, but we had great fun kicking rear end.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Survivors are, I think, the best all round characters in the game.

Wendy is broken as poo poo.
Pete is broken as poo poo.
Yorrick is broken as poo poo (with 5 xp).

I love their flexibility. Seriously. Look beyond the fact that the characters might not be heroic stereotypes, and they are very very strong chatacters. Their strength comes from their flexibility and reliability.

Don't use that Calvin guy. He sucks.

Edit: Yorrick with the Red-Gloved Man is ... so good. So goooood.

I think Yorrick is my favorite because I love table talk about wearing my "new cultist leather coat" or how i pay the Red Gloved Man in smashed cockroaches. Oh, I also rendered down a cultist into lamp oil to get my Lantern working again.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 30, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Arkham Horror 2nd Edition popped my cherry on the Arkham Mythos Fantasy Flight has. That game was loving good but I'll take the card game over any of it.

I agree completely. I can get people to play the card game a lot easier than the board game.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I just want the nicely done dividers.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
The Arkham/Lovecraftian universe is supposed to be hard and lovely for humans.

Ancient Evils fits this universe just fine.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

IcePhoenix posted:

Building a Calvin deck is hard

A solution in search of a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Survivor Supremacy.