Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alansmithee posted:

I think for Daisy Rite of Seeking is generally better, being that there's no need to unlock it and it doesn't cost xp (which for Daisy I'd typically have other priorities). Glyphs isn't horrible, but being that it's 4xp per, it's just generally a lower priority for me.

Rite of Seeking better? But but but, that's 4 resources to make tests at skill 3 instead of native tests at 5, plus the action cost playing the card. That's like a net gain of two actions which can fetch double clues for 6 resources (including the Higher Education pump). You can't even combo it with other Seeker cards like Deduction, since you use willpower to test and not intellect. I can understand that you don't want spend XP on glyphs, but I don't see how Rite of Seeking in Daisy is a good option, like, at all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alansmithee posted:

The 2 point difference is the difference it would take to get 2 clues from Glyph anyways, so that's a wash (although you can get multiple clues with glyph, i'll admit). Also you have to play glyph as well? Higher Education is a wash since it boosts either (although you get more benefit from Glyph boosts, I'll admit). Comboing with deduction I've heard varying things-I dn't think it works but I've heard some people argue you can commit for the effect, you just don't get a bonus symbol on the test.

You're also ignoring the fact that not only are they 4 xp, but you have to activate the glyphs which you won't always have the time to comfortably do. Also, 8 xp is a big outlay especially since your first XP is likely gonna be Higher Ed, Encyclopedia, and probably Charisma (so you can have Milan and cycle through your research guys or whatever else). So glyph is useless your first 1-4 scenarios, depending on hw much xp you're gaining.

Again, I don't think it's necessarily bad, but I also don't really think it's essential. Especially with arcane slots being so dear. As was mentioned, I think for solo Daisy the dodge one is actually pretty good, just because it allows you to combo in an evade

You can't commit skill cards for just effects - they need to have a matching icon. It's clearly written in the rules.

The point of Glyphs is really to pick up 3+ clues in one action, if you use them for less then they aren't worth it. So in solo they aren't good (but the evade one is ofc).

The thing with Daisy is that she can activate the glyphs quite cheap, being a tome they are both tutorable via Librarian and she can use their action for free. For other Seekers they are more troublesome to activate but for Daisy that's quite easy to do.

Also, I think our playstyles differ quite a lot - I don't consider Encyclopedia a high priority upgrade. While it is good it can wait a bit. Same goes for Charisma. So Glyphs (which cost 3XP btw) can come quite soon after Higher Education if one wishes. Also, I think that currently the only other spell that Daisy wants to run is Shrivelling, and that's just a backup plan until you get/play Stange Solution. Shrivelling(0) in the later scenarios doesn't cut it, especially with a low will of 3, and Daisy can't upgrade it. So I don't think arcane slots are a premium either.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

DontMockMySmock posted:

The rules specify that you can only commit cards to skill tests if they have a symbol match. Page 26 of the rules reference.

I think I may have played this wrong at some point because as far as I can tell, you can't throw in agility bonuses to a Lockpicks test, and I think I've done that before.

You can't commit agility icons via cards to increase you Lockpicks test, but you can boost your agility via Streetwise for example. It's the skill icon card commitment that's forbidden.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Orange Devil posted:

Between her and Lockpicks you can be the main investigator in a 2 player group easily. If your Mystic and Survivor make sure to stock up on their clue-finding cards as well you could even main for a 4-man group, cutting out the Seeker.

Probably not optimal, but should be a different and fun experience.

Running Jenny with Santiago + Huberts Key, you get a respectable statline of 4/5/3/4 and Lockpick for 9. You can pick up testless clues (but at a price). I think in that build, that you actually benefit from running Leo as well (i.e. you want to buy Charisma), because with that statline you can actually do stuff with your extra actions, be it generating extra resources via Burglary or picking one from the bank. You could really reliably get two clues per round with such a build.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Orange Devil posted:

Eh, it's not like Mystics really need cards from out of faction to do their thing and his statline is fine.

I'm thinking the best use for his base 5XP is to either spread them out over as many cards as possible or combo it with tutoring to get a high impact card. The first seems more likely with the current card pool, and Spirit Athame is easily the top contender here. Being able to start with 2x Shrivelling + 1x or 2x Song of the Dead is also interesting, as it means he doesn't have to pack a back-up weapon to still consistently draw damage. Speaking of consistency, sealing away non-Skull tokens certainly improves Song of the Dead, but I'm not sure it's good yet.

High impact cards would probably be Jewel of Aureolus, Grotesque Statue or Key of Ys, if only there was a way to guarantee drawing them reasonably early.

A way to guarantee getting your XP cards early is to put it in a Permanent. Candidates are Charisma, Relic Hunter and Blood Pact. Between Holy Rosary, Jewel of Aureolus and St. Hubert's Key, Mystics clearly have a strong selection of Accessories to make use of that Relic Hunter, though these do tend to be expensive and the Rosary and the Key do such similar things. Charisma seems alright in solo, letting you take Alyssa and some Initiates. Probably not great for multiplayer until Olive McBride is released though. Speaking of, she seems to work wonderfully with Mateo. Lastly due to being able to start with Blood Pact, Mateo is probably the best Mystic to go down the doom manipulation route, starting with Moonlight Ritual and either Alyssa or David Renfield. This deckbuilding route badly needs another card or two to support it before it seems worthwhile though.

So uhh, long story short, Mateo's 5XP for now seems best spend on cards other Mystics would like to get as well, with Spirit Athame being really stand-out good. With just one or two more cards to support existing design ideas though, those 5XP might let Mateo explore completely new deck concepts without having to gimp himself for the first scenario.

Jewel of Aureolus and Olive = :love:

Since Jewel triggers on reveal, not resolve, it can trigger from any of the 3 tokens revealed by Olive, even an autofail which you choose to ignore. That gives Jewel a pretty good chance of triggering from Olive (~70%, depending on chaos bag setup). Olive seems like a good fit for either Jim (begin able to pull more Skulls to trigger Trumpet and/or Song of the Dead) or Mateo (who really benefits from drawing the Elder Sign token).

Jim has a natural way of partly countering Olives negative impact, since Skulls counts as zero. It is a much greater challenge how to pass tests as Mateo + Olive though, unless you get lucky and pull the Elder Sign (~20% chance, in which case you auto-succeed).

I feel like we're getting closer to a build for Mystics which wants to draw/not draw certain tokens, and Jim so far seems like the best candidate. He has about 64% odds of triggering Song of the Dead (again, depending on chaos bag setup) with Olive. The question is if it's worth to also run Ritual Candles in him as well in such a build, since positive numbers can nullify bad token pulls. Heck, such a build might even want to run Inspiring Presence, just to untap Olive again. Throw in Grotesque Statue and Scavenging and you should be able to see the tokens you want with quite high (although unreliable) frequency.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

KPC_Mammon posted:

Yes, but that might change when you draw three take two.

That's my thought exactly. I do know that Candles are the worst in Jim, but if you intend to run Olive, this really changes the chaos bag odds.
Running multiple +1 (maybe even +2 with two candles) tokens makes you pass many, many more tests.

As an example, running on standard in Carcosa, you can have five +1 tokens(3x Skulls, Elder Sign, +1) with a single Candle in Jim. Say that you aim for a test at +2. You'll fail if you draw -3, -4 or autofail, and let's throw in Cultist at -4.

With a regular pull, you'd fail if you drew any of the last tokens (since you only bump Cultist to -3, which is still a fail).

However, if you run with Olive, you get to draw 2 more tokens. If any of those is a +1, you now pass on the -3 and Cultist (i.e. you only fail on -4 and autofail).

I still need to run the maths on this, and maybe it's not worth the effort and/or it's too combo-tastic, but it'd be interesting to see the exact numbers :)

Zerf fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 1, 2018

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

suicidesteve posted:

Same here. Last time I played through The Devourer Below I was finally doing pretty well after like half a dozen attempts and felt like I'd finish in time. Then I hit all 3 copies of the card that adds a doom counter over 3 turns, the discard got shuffled back in and I hit all 3 again in a row. So that was a fun way to immediately lose a game I was winning otherwise. And now I'm getting flashbacks to Pandemic Legacy.

Maybe you should do some pile shuffles prior to shuffling your cards ;)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alansmithee posted:

I didn't know .32 was disliked? I always thought the "base" guardian package was 2x of machete, .32, guard dog, and vicious blow. And the upgraded .45 as a solid replacement for the .32.

I like it but it's hard to slot unless you play Mark, because of his great base combat. I find that combat 4 doesn't cut it (especially on hard, where you want to be 3 over test). But .32 certainly fills a gap which some other weapons currently doesn't do. There's no reason to run either Trench Knife or Blackguard. Survival Knife is a good addition to the Machete domination, and I actually think that it makes Guard Dog playable, which I didn't like before (it costs too much).

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alansmithee posted:

The big thing with .32 is there's nothing else really to slot in there to start off. Survival Knife imo serves a different purpose (although I do like it). I've always gone .32-.45 upgrade and guard dog-upgraded beat cop. Guard dog is really good because it's damage without a test. Trench knife isn't actually as useless as you make it out-you don't use it for it's attack, you use it to ignore AoO on engages. It's basically a defensive item. It's not always worth a slot, but it's not useless (blackjack on the other hand...)

I usually run .45(0) and Beat Cop(0) instead, bumping a base 4 to 6. Testless damage is great, but you get that with Beat Cop(0) as well, but at a price. It might boil down to how much you like building board state vs how much you plan on using temp boost from skills/pumps. I usually prefer the former.

I'd also run Taunt over Trench Knife if I thought engage would be a problem, but there's never really been such a situation where it felt vital to run such cards.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Kalko posted:

Threads of Fate spoilers are now up (set Encounter Set to blank). Scene of the Crime seems real good. Takes a bit of planning and I guess if you want two clues out of it you probably have to take a hit on your previous turn, but test-free clue gathering is strong.

You can also combo it with On The Hunt, which is interesting with Roland. 2 clues + 1 for the kill is pretty nice. Extra points for playing Evidence afterwards :)

A lot of good cards this pack, I'm guessing we'll see cigarettes in a lot of Rogue decks.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I also just realized that you can only have one of them and they take an ally slot, so yeah, gently caress them.

Err, no. They don't have thr ally slot icon, so they don't take a slot, so you can take multiple of them.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alansmithee posted:

Also Hot Streak I see really only being useful as an upgrade on the way to the upgrade. As is it's not really much better than emergency cache xp2 or xp3, since you have to have 5 resources to start with. Still powerful, but seems a low priority for the people who the new card enables.

I disagree. People keep comparing it to EC upgrades, but that's not what it's for - it's there to run alongside EC! Take Leo with some expensive allies, for example. You want Beat Cop, Venturer, Treasure Hunter and Hired Muscle. You run 2xEC, 2xHS(2), 2xLone Wolf. Now your economy should be set.

Maybe Leo isn't the best example, I've yet to run him, but the point still stands - if you need more econ cards, HS(2) is solid, if you don't need more cards but just slightly better cost curve, then upgrade EC.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Orange Devil posted:

I feel like Skeleton Key turns Leo de Luca into a clue gathering card, as long as your investigator has base 3 intellect.

I mean, it's still an expensive combo but what are you doing playing Rogue if not trying to jampack your deck full of those?

You can even run it with Lantern and it doesn't matter what intellect value you have. As an extra bonus, run Lola Santiago and pick up a free clue during your first investigate action :)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Orange Devil posted:

Ooh, as far as wonky combos go I like this one a lot.

Gogo gadget Wendy.

Or Jenny or Finn, I guess.

Kinda too bad they have 3, 3 and 4 intellect respectively, seems a waste.

OTOH, since it's a three-card combo, high intellect is still relevant until you manage to set it up, and I'd still run lockpicks. But with that card setup, all of them are guaranteed to be decent clue gatherers.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Xlorp posted:

There's no weird scaling effect between 2 and 4 then? I will be committing to hosting games at a club and being able to handle up to 4 with no special adjustments is a good omen. I can deal myself in to demo card and tactic variety without jiggering the difficulty as a result.

I play the majority of my games with three players, and it works just fine. In general I feel that the more players you have, the easier the game is, although some scenarios invert that principle.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

IcePhoenix posted:

I was talking with a friend about which cards I'm planning to add to my Ursula deck and found out that not only is skeleton key not out yet but it is probably months out from release, what the hell arkhamdb why is it there if I can't use it :mad:

You can select which pack you own in your profile, it will list cards from those selected.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

IcePhoenix posted:

My friend that owns all the cards just buys everything as soon as it comes out so I just assumed everything listed in arkhamdb was actually available

Cards from previews shows up as well,, so usually there's about <10 listed which aren't out yet.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alg posted:

Lol we lost Return to the Night of the Zealot pretty badly on the last adventure. Roland and Jenny didn't make a good duo. We've beaten Night of the Zealot + Dunwich as Pete/Zoey before.

Think Agnes/Rex would be good for Carcosa? Is Agnes fighty enough?

She's probably fighty enough, but the problem might be is she fast enough? All mystics are kinda slow until they get their boardstate, at which point they can do anything.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
My take on the player cards (I mostly play on hard, so keep that in mind):

Handcuffs
Interesting card. I like that it has the "police" trait, something that Police Badge doesn't have :D
The effect of the card is almost as if you killed the enemy, but remove it from the game instead of discarding it. It could also have interesting side effects for cards that say, "place 1 doom on the nearest cultist" in which case that fizzles because of handcuffs. The "humanoid" requirement is of course limiting, but a search on arkhamdb gives 67 hits (Monsters 73), so you should be able to find a target.

In the end think this card might be hard to find slots for, but maybe you can squeeze in a 1-of?

Blood Eclipse
Another interesting card. 3XP locks it into the Guardian faction, which in general has good but not great willpower. While not a high priority target, I can definitely see uses for it. For example, run it with Brother Xavier, let him eat the damage and dish out 4+2=6 damage for a single action and a resource(this kills him before the test though, so his willpower boost won't contribute to the test). Good for Carolyn Fern as well, since she hasn't got access to weapons. Reaching willpower 6-7 will require some additional boost since you probably won't use this on low-level mobs, but one or two icons more should put you in range to use this. Marie Lambeau can possibly use it as well.

Feed the Mind
In isolation this seems like quite a good card. Arcane slot is usually free for non-mystics, intellect tests shouldn't be a problem in for Seekers. In practice however, this card is at conflict with Higher Education, since you almost always want to be at 5+ cards in your hand. Still, the card has uses if you spend/discard your cards or you draw into it early. It's probably best in gators which cannot take Higher Ed, again Marie could probably play this card.

Colt Vest Pocket
5 ammo and not even fast? If you play this normally you only have 2 actions at +1 combat and +1 damage. This is yet another crappy weapon in the Rogue faction, which has a hard time to get combat boosts and have investigators with really low base combat. Unless this weapon get some interesting combo cards to play with it, it's binder fodder.

Coup de Grâce
A decent option to Overpowered, I think. Has 2 combat icons and may triggers a card draw, but on other conditions. 2r for a damage is not cheap, but testless damage is good. If you manage to trigger the card draw effect then that's an OK action to take.

Skeleton Key
Good, but slow. Disables some treachery cards entirely, like Obscuring Fog, but doesn't work with Flashlight and Lantern. In 3/4-player games, this card can help non-cluefinders find clues. Also great with Lola. All in all, I like it, but you probably need an investigator with access to extra actions or free movement.

Mists of R'lyeh
4XP for an extra charge, willpower icon and +3 willpower to test. I like Mists(0), but there's probably a lot more interesting cards to spend your XP on.

Winging It
Seems like a solid card. You can't combine it with Duke or Lockpicks, since they trigger separate tests, but it works with Newspaper. If you have a card draw engine that can discard cards for benefits, this seems like a solid inclusion. Any card that gives multiple clues is worth looking at.

Old Hunting Rifle
Finally a decent high-level weapon in Survivors. Seems like a must-include in Yorick. Silas could also use it I guess, but probably prefers Ornate Bow. +3 combat even pushes it to a decent combat option for Dark Horse Pete. You'll have to live with that it jams on 20% on your attempts. Or play Will to Survive.

Thermos
Expensive healing option, both in resources and in actions. Good if you have actually suffered the trauma. Mystics might want to keep an extra eye on this, since with 2xArcane Research at start, they already qualify for the bonus horror heal.

Hemispheric Map
Now this is interesting. 3XP for a 2-cost accessory that might boost your stats. 4 connections is probably quite rare, but 2 connections should be quite common. But the problem is that the stat boost is conditional, which means that you cannot rely on it. This makes me think that it isn't suited for Mystics (which need the willpower boost) unless they run Relic Hunter, but might be useful for investigators like Skids, that can benefit from both Will and Intellect boost, but doesn't depend on them. Could also benefit Seekers, since they use their intellect often and currently doesn't have a clear candidate for their accessory slot.

Timeworn Brand
A good, expensive weapon. It's single-handed which just makes it a strict upgrade to Machete, which we all know is really good. 3r Machete + 1r Reliable + 1r for super attack/Machete weakness removal seems like a good price. The problem is of course going to be the 5XP to buy it in the first place. Just like Ornate Bow, the fact that it's neutral and available to all investigators probably means we'll see it in some builds, maybe Survivors for example, since they have so few items to spend their XP on.

Now tell me where I'm wrong :)

Zerf fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 29, 2018

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Orange Devil posted:

I can't read the weapon, but all the other dual-class cards look like trash to me. Open to being convinced.

I think Totem is good in Minh, but that's about it. Whiskey is flavourful but crap. It seems insanely overcosted for a marginal boost. The attack part is weak as well. Scroll could be interesting in the future, if other cards start interacting with bottom of the deck. Still probably a Daisy card at best.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I think the scroll is one of the strongest of the ones previewed. Being able to have someone effectively draw from the bottom of their deck is a bigger deal in Arkham than in most other card games, given the infrequency with which you shuffle/rearrange your deck and/or get through the entirety of your deck in one scenario. Having the flexibility to do anything you want other than shuffle that card somewhere is an added bonus.

I've played most of my games solo, where deck slots are tight and you have to be really efficient with everything you do. After getting a regular group of four together, less efficient and more supportive/janky decks are way more appealing and feasible, and the scroll looks like something that would fit right into that sort of archetype.

Ok, but drawing from the bottom is equal to drawing from the top if the deck is randomized, so specifically, which interactions are you talking about that makes it a big deal?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
The only cards that I can think of that interacts with Scroll is Scrying and Alyssa. And the interaction between them doesn't warrant the inclusion of Scroll. Are there other things?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Orange Devil posted:

I gotta say I did not see another version of Strange Solution coming.

Really? Because it was shown in the first preview some months ago ;)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/9/5/return-to-the-dunwich-legacy/

But apparantly Contraband was show on a european site, did not expect that one either

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Thanks, this is really useful! I haven't played any campaigns in a multiplayer group yet, so I didn't have a frame of reference. I wanted to plan out my Finn deck's future upgrades, and whether or not I was going to take Charon's Obol. No one is running Delve Too Deep in our group, so we are only going to be grabbing what XP we can from the campaign itself.

Since we have enough plays under our belt as a group now, I kinda wish I had elected to run Sefina again, but with Delve Too Deep included. I seem to be playing nothing but rogues, though, so I might be the only high-risk/high-reward player in our group.

Here's two more reference decks for you, if you'd like to see some detailed campaign info:
Skids deck, 3p Carcosa, standard difficulty, Delves and Bury them Deep: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/143053
Roland deck, 3p Dunwich, hard difficulty, no extra XP cards: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/179426

They aren't the newest decks, so the decklist themselves aren't the best, but that could give you some more info if you want to read it :)

Quidthulhu posted:

Started a fresh Dunwich run with a solo Ashcan deck, wherein I'm instigating "pack release order" houserules and only allowing cards outside the Delux Expac box as I get to that scenario. Here were the results of my Extracurricular Activity -> The House Always Wins:

I also failed both scenarios by 1 turn.

I feel like I'm finally playing this game correctly.

How did you lose the scenarios on turn 1 with Ashcan? :O

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Quidthulhu posted:

By 1 turn. If I hadn’t lost, I would have one both scenarios after getting through the encounter deck pull both times.

That makes much more sense :)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
So, if someone hasn't seen it spoiled on other places, here's some Circle Undone spoilers:

We know that there are going to be 6 new gators

Diana Stanely in the preview article
Rita Young(survivor, spoiled on a spanish site)
Carolyn Fern(weakness shown in paper article)
Marie Lambeau(weakness shown in paper article)

That leaves Rogue and Seeker. Give us a Rogue with 5 combat already!

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
There's not really any reason for this other than the game designers wanted those effects to be more common.

You can of course mod the weakness deck in any way you want, but be aware that some scenarios do interact with it (like pull a basic 'madness' weakness from it, for example). Not that it's a huge issue, but so you know.

At this point it's really uncommon for people to draw the same weakness even when playing 4p, but if 2 players drew Overzealous I'd be tempted to do a re-draw, because that weakness can harm you and the group like no other.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

I might be in the minority in that I really love Rita's unique effects. I end up playing Rogues a lot, so I've become quite partial to evading, whereas I used to think it was kind of a wasted action.

The survivor card pool isn't my favorite, though, so that might end up being the real turn-off for me.

I agree with this. Personally, I think her flexible ability in both movement and damage combined with high natural agility is going to be pretty epic. Combine with Peter and Track Shoes and you have evades unboosted at 7 and Ornate bow attacks at 10. I play most of my games on hard a that native five is not to be underestimated. Also with track shoes and her ability, she almost have Elusive-like movement, as she can start engaged and still manage to move four spaces in a single turn (but there needs to be an enemy in the way).

Her low sanity is quite easily mitigated with Peter and Keepsake. She needs another agility weapon to become reliable enough as main battler though.

So, she seems quite strong in that she can both evade and battle, her weakness being her deckbuilding, and a weakness from my perspective, the Survivor card pool.

Zerf fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 14, 2018

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

IcePhoenix posted:

Maybe both! Her lore is two. I do not dig it for clue finding. Especially in a solo scenario.

But, as I've said before in this thread (not that I expect people to remember), I generally play with three or four players so my experience with rating stuff is based on that.

Mine too! I think one of the main issues with Rita is that she competes with other Survivors stats, which means that you really have to want to both evade and battle in order to consider her - if it's only for battle, Silas and Yorick probably fares better, and if you want evade, she gets stiff competition from Wendy, who is better at cluefinding, has better will, balanced health/sanity and an awesome ability.

Still, I find her interesting, because the one extra damage can be really useful and combos well if you encounter health 4 enemies with the bow. Action-compression with evades has turned out quite good with Finn in FA, so I'm quite eager to try her out in a way - but if the Rogue in CU is a combat rogue, that's who I'll roll next :)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

FishFood posted:

A stupid expensive Preston deck sounds really fun. Stat line is yikes, but I think there are some fun interactions there. Pairing him with Dark Horse sounds rad, as his inheritance wouldn't count toward his pool I'm pretty sure.

While you can use DH with him, I'm skeptical that it's a good idea. Capping his income to 4r/turn sounds good, but you also need to reach a testing strength at 7(on hard, 6 on standard) somehow - and you want to be able to run multiple of these tests on a single turn.

I think he'll be very good with Ys, since he'll probably play a lot of allies and will be able to protect it well.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
As others have said, Dunwich is a good campaign to run after the core one. The player cards are excellent, and the campaign is easy from a complexity standpoint. I agree that Carcosa is a better and more engaging story, but I also think Carcosa requires more from the players.

It sort of depends on how one wants to approach the packs - if I would only play one campaign, I'd go with Carcosa. But if were to play multiple ones, I'd start with Dunwich, just to get the vanilla one done, so to speak.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alansmithee posted:

I wouldn't say almost all. Basically just treacheries and enemies are encounter cards.

Weeell, 41/47 of the player weakness cards are treacheries or enemies (https://arkhamdb.com/find?q=b%3Abasicweakness%7Cweakness&sort=name&view=list&decks=player&spoilers=hide) so I think it's fine to say almost all?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
Spoilers for the Circle Undone are unleashed now :)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

IcePhoenix posted:

Four cards revealed for next booster https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/1/29/union-and-disillusion/

I really don't like the exile mechanic. Always feels like a waste to include those cards unless you're very late in a campaign, and at that point they may be a bit underpowered.

Ironically though I'm probably going to include several exile cards in my Calvin deck for the finale of TFA because I've hit a point where I have more EXP than I know what to do with and it will help me cycle to my best cards.

I think that this card has Exile done right - you can keep the card through the entire campaign if you're careful, but sometimes it might be worth losing an XP. It's a good and difficult choice.

Also, Decoy is pretty epic, especially in 4p where you can trigger the 2-enemy clause easier as well.

Not sold on Warning Shot - I think it's a card you'll cut in the end. Much more of a fan of Delay the Inevitable, and they sort of compete for the same slot.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Orange Devil posted:

Really curious what the higher level class specific versions of that card will look like. Really hoping it's not just 1 version with more combat and 1 version with more damage.

Good news! It's going to be one version with +1 combat and one with +1 ammo ;)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
While I am interested in trying out Rita(and probably wouldn't call her trash tier), I also acknowledge that she is a niche character. She's bad at finding clues with her 2 intellect. Survivors got some trick cards to find them, but they are also shared among the rest of the survivors.

The biggest hurdle (:v:) for Rita is Wendy - especially with a bow. With much less restricted deck building, she can almost do anything Rita can, but she can also use stuff like Lockpicks (even though the bow is 2h) and has a much stronger ability. Wendys 7/7 health is also preferred over Ritas 9/5.

This sort of leaves Rita in a corner because:
* If you want combat/cluever/utility - go with Wendy
* If you want combat only - go with Yorick
* If you want combat and evade - Rita might be slightly better than Wendy

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alansmithee posted:

As an aside, has anyone messed around with Preston yet? I got charged to play him in our current group, and it was definitely a mixed experience. I'm going more big money over dark horse which I'm still not sure is the right call.

Not yet, he seems to get quite a few support cards this cycle, so I think I'm going to wait, but he's currently my top pick for who I want to try.

Regarding Diana, I think she'll be quite a unique Mystic, just based on her deckbuilding rules. The 0-2 secondary class investigators are all very strong. I haven't tried building an end-game deck for her, but I can see it being quite powerful and reliable with both cancels and spells + weapons. Top it off with some guardian cluefinding and it would be a pretty fun build.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Ripley posted:

Yeah, a lot of people don't seem to realise you can have private decks (and share them with your group) without publishing, so you end up with eight published copies of someone's half-assed deck with zero commentary.

There are some much better thought-out lists if you poke around, with commentary explaining what they were designed to achieve and how to play them.

Yeah, this.

Try the search function or browse by popularity and find a deck with lots of hearts/comments, and find decks that comes with a guide which explains the reason specific cards are included. Any such deck will be 5x-10x better than FFGs 'recommended' decks, they are all awful.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Plavski posted:

I picked up my Clutches today. Did this release go under the radar or have I just not being paying attention? Maybe with all the talk around return to carcosa and the dreamlands expansion, people are tuning out of the circle undone?

Yeah, official release day is friday, but all cards has already been spoiled. This time I think only two cards were left once the final spoilers came two days ago, so unless you paid attention, you wouldn't notice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
Regarding Clutches, Studious seems really really good. Like Taboo-list good. A starting hand with 7 cards (which can be mulliganed) is strong as is, and if you play tarots they are boosted too.

Another Day, Another Dollar also seems good, but a bit more balanced.