Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I've got the revised core set to play with a friend, it seems like the best bet to expand it if/when it comes to it will be grabbing the rerelease of the dunwich horror stuff early next year and if we happen to play it enough and enjoy it enough that we're desperate for more before that then get one of the more recent expansions before the Antartica one since those'll be the furthest from getting a fancy rerelease all in one box right?

Some of the "first time buyers" guides I've looked at have said the latter expansions can be pretty brutal if you haven't been playing and buying the investigator cards along the way cause there's been a bit of power creep, is that accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So me and my friend played through the starter set adventures the other day, really enjoyed it though I think we messed up the engagement rules a bit and we absolutely hosed the second adventure up but we ended up getting what felt like a pretty decent ending in act 3 all told.

I think the replay value of those opening ones is a bit low though and we enjoyed it enough to justify me buying one of the other expansions. Is there a consensus on the best expansion cycle to potentially get? I asked a similar question a few weeks back I think but now I might understand the comparisons better.

I figure I'm probably best off either grabbing the Edge of the Earth one or Innsmouth since that one, being the most recent in the old release format will probably be the last to get rereleased in the new method? The Dunwich rerelease is supposedly coming out Feb in the UK so could wait to grab that potentially but if we get one now we could have it finished by then. I'm curious what the cadence of the releases of the old expansions in the new format will be cause I really like the sound of Carcosa and Circle Undone the most I think but the new method does seem to be a lot easier to keep track of.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 24, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

Engagement rules are complex. For a while I thought I could move away from enemies and take an attack of opportunity but otherwise escape. Whoops.

For us, we weren't having investigators auto engage when a monster spawned or when they moved onto a space with the monster, we were treating it like a thing you had to actively do. So like, in that second scenario, we got hosed up and only got one cultist because we thought we had to move onto a location as one action, engage with the 2nd and then try making an attack with the final one. We just ended up getting bogged down. Upon reading it again, it seems like you only have to actively do it if it's a monster that ignores you, exhausted or if it's engaged with another investigator.

Hopefully I've got that right now at least. Think I've gotten worse at parsing rules as I've gotten older, I used to play the old Arkham Horror ten or so years back and this is a lot simpler but captures alot of the flavour/feeling.

Cheers folks, I'll have a look at the campaign half Edge of the Earth then, can potentially grab it and play through it over the next month or so. Might grab the Investigator box as well if we feel like we want to play as some weirder investigators. I suspect I will end up getting everything over the next year.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

If you don't want to get Edge of the Earth, the Path to Carcosa cycle is possibly the best campaign in the game, though getting the whole cycle will probably be a lot more difficult

Would be a pretty good experiment to see if you can beat a new big box with just the core set though!

Oh it's not so much that I don't want to and I probably will, just asking if there's any people will really recommend heavily and wondering if getting that one specifically would make Dunwich seem..... bad afterwards cause that was the earliest one.

Carcosa is probably the one I like the sound of the most thematically as well, always did have a fondness for the King In Yellow/Hastur stuff whereas my friend (who I'm probably going to play 99% of my games with) really like Antarctic themed horror so Edge of the Earth might be the best bet. I already did grab a couple of the class specific starter investigators as well so we'd have a bit of choice in whichever expansion I do get.

I'm in the UK and over here getting the full cycles seems a lot easier than it does in the US at least, the online shop I get stuff from has literally everything in stock apart from one of the Return boxes which I definitely don't need yet. So I can either get a full cycle of whichever one I do choose or grab Edge of the Earth and get the rereleases as they come out and then if we play them enough, eventually grab the return to boxes.

Cheers for the advice as well everyone.

Kalko posted:

[*] Your modified test value during a skill test cannot go below zero. This means that if the difficulty of the test is zero (a common example is using Flashlight on a 2-shroud location) then you will succeed regardless of which token you draw, except the Autofail, of course.[/list]

I found this out last night and holy moly this will make stuff a fair bit easier, we did manage to finish the intro campaign in the most successful way I think but we came so close to failing a bunch cause of this. I think having played the old Arkham Horror board game made us go "yeah, a forced skill check where you take damage equal to how much you failed by? I have an evade of two, no cards to commit and drew a -4 so I take a shitload of damage" felt pretty much on the money. I'll have to make a little document of stuff to remember when we next play.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 25, 2021