Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

ChiTownEddie posted:

I honestly haven't even played one yet. I need to branch out from the 3-4 guys I've used :/
Ashcan Pete seems pretty interesting, but him locking up his ally spot so thoroughly may be tough...

It doesn't lock up his Ally slot. Duke has the keyword Ally, but has no ally slot indicator so you're free to go hog wild with whomever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

bobvonunheil posted:

What's the timing on Fire Axe?

If I initiate a combat with 1 resource, spend it to increase Fire Axe's attack, then win the combat, do I do 1 damage or 2?

Likewise, if I initiate a combat with 1 resource, then play Lucky! to turn it into a success, do I do 1 damage or 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOHQe_b01v8&t=2000s

Yup, that's what the designers intended. You can start the fight with 3 resources, spend them all and gain +1 damage when it hits.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Those dividers are great, but Dunwich mixes in encounter blocks from the core set (Ancient Evils, the rats etc.) so the scenario titles might get confusing.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

That's why cards like Peter Sylvestre exist. They can absorb a horror each round and regen it for the next.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

For Euros, Chaos Cards just got Carnevale of Horrors in stock: https://www.chaoscards.co.uk/other-...horrors-p143088

Update: I think there was some sort of glitch on their end. I ordered it, they took my money, then sent me an e-mail saying they are awaiting stock and the page says it's out of stock.

So who the gently caress knows.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 31, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Note that you have to rebuy flare between scenarios. Exile works that way for any card with XP.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Kerro posted:

If you Exile a card, are you required to replace it after the end of the scenario? Or can you then end up playing with a 29 (+bonus cards) deck?

From the rules:

quote:

Some player cards in The Dunwich Legacy cycle must be exiled when they are used. When a card is exiled, it is removed from the game and returned to your collection. During campaign play, a card that has been exiled must be purchased again with experience points (between scenarios) if you wish to re-include it in your deck. If exiling 1 or more cards would reduce your deck below your investigator's deck size, when purchasing cards between scenarios, you must purchase cards so that a legal deck size is maintained (when purchasing cards in this manner, you may purchase level 0 cards for 0 experience cost until a legal deck size is reached).

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The best thing about fire extinguisher to me is that it's scavenge-food with a great extra feature if things go south. I'd rather bring a fire extinguisher than a lovely knife, that's for sure. It's an agi pip too, so it's not tied to fighting, and you can keep a nimble wendy on the move. I think it's pretty balanced and opens up some interesting, exciting playlines.

On the subject of TMM, gonna be weird being Daisy with two Necronomicons - one which gives her good effects, one which gives her bad effects. Is the John Dee translation written in Comic Sans?

Plavski fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 8, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

How would you get the fire extinguisher in the discard pile to scavenge it back though? Just keep pitching it on agility checks? So far I'm finding that the least performed check.

And then if you are pitching it all the time it means you haven't equipped it when you do need it.

You can pitch it by replacing it. You can get it out, chuck it for a fire axe and scavenge it back for committing or playing again.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

You don't have to do it all on one turn, you can play a longer game. In a multiplayer scenario, you can often get swamped by enemies. Combined with Taunt, you can get the entire area looking at you, pop the extinguisher and get your whole group the hell out of dodge. But if that scenario doesn't arise, or you think you're able to handle it, you can replace it with something more immediately useful, use the extinguisher as an agi pip, or just keep it around for the extra fightiness and scavenge it up again if things are looking hairy. There is a lot of benefit to playing from your discard pile and knowing you have an Evade All right there for you after a successful investigate looks very solid.

We're also seeing a lot more hand assets that aren't fighty, and we'll get more. You won't have to scavenge weapons, you'll be able to bring out your flashlights, extinguishers and a whole host of other things. The ability to play pure scavenging support will be very useful going forward, and fire extinguisher plays into that. When poo poo goes south, having a fire extinguisher at the ready seems pretty useful and I know I would have loved having it in a some of the games I've played.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

He's the only investigator right now sure, but that won't always be the case. There is a lot of design space here, and while this card might not be essential now there are lines of play that it makes available. Its exile effect is strong and its ability to linger in your discard pile to be brought back with scavenging is useful. I'm not sure if you play Netrunner, but that game has taught me that not every card needs to be in every deck, and not every card needs to work flawlessly the very second it is released. Cards like Power Tap were roundly mocked for years in Netrunner until a Runner ID appeared that made it an auto-include. That happens a lot in Netrunner and I can very much see it happening here. Taunt + Fire Extinguisher + "Return all exhausted enemies at your location to encounter deck" card. I will not be surprised to see space like that open up in deck construction and combo plays taking on a stronger emphasis as we get further into the card pool. Scavenging opens up Shaper Bullshit for Arkham and that can't really be under-estimated.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

There are also standalone side scenarios which you can slip in between your core campaign scenarios. While they are notoriously difficult, they give you a bunch of XP, so you can get bigger and better upgrades for returning to your main campaign. With stronger decks from a larger cardpool, this will allow late campaign scenarios to really shift around as you go in stronger due to upgrades. It's a double-edged knife though, as if you gently caress up in the side-scenarios, it can really hurt you back in the main campaign. Gives you some nice options though, and if you treat it like an RPG, it can be nice to see your character grow and adapt over time

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

All Miskatonic Museum cards got spoiled: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/arkhamhorror/arkham-horror-the-card-game/_/the-dunwich-legacy-cycle/the-miskatonic-museum/. Note that this page also has scenario spoilers, blurred, but tempting.

The player cards we didn't know about are:

Pathfinder (fantastic movement increase for 1xp; gonna changeup a lot of scenarios)

Smoking Pipe (more Agnes buffs and nice to cover Roland's weaknesses)

Painkillers (nice to shore up low health investigators or to push fighters harder)

Emergency Aid (no xp, good for co-op. ability to heal allies is pretty nice)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

bobvonunheil posted:

If I was to investigate then play Double or Nothing and Deduction in the same skill check, do the effects of Deduction apply twice or only once?

From the FAQ:

quote:

Double or Nothing says you “resolve the effects of the successful test twice.” Whatever effects that would resolve based on the test being successful, those are resolved twice. That means anything that adds to the effects (like Vicious Blow or Deduction) or replaces the effects (like Burglary) will resolve twice. Effects that are responses to a successful test (like Scavenging, for example) won’t be resolved twice, though.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

drat shame it's in Seeker as it would be a massive help to Jenny when she pulls her weakness.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Obama 2012 posted:

The first half of the card text still seems a little vague to me, but I'm ruling that any investigator can look for Izzie if they're in the location.

Yup

quote:

Any investigator at Jenny’s location may use the action ability on Searching for Izzie.

"An investigator is permitted to activate abilities from the following sources: - A scenario card that is in play and at the same location as the investigator. This includes the location itself, encounter cards placed at that location, and all encounter cards in the threat area of any investigator at that location.”

Searching for Izzie is a treachery weakness. Just like any other treachery card attached to a location, any investigator at that location may activate its action ability. (If another investigator helps you search for Isabelle and succeeds, they are a good friend and you should thank them profusely.)

As for the mental trauma, the card should read: “When the game ends, if Searching for Izzie is in play: Jenny Barnes suffers 1 mental trauma.” This will be fixed in a later printing and added to the first edition of the official FAQ. (Smite the Wicked will also need a similar errata).

So, to clarify: “You” in a revelation effect always refers to the person drawing the card and resolving its revelation. Any investigator may activate action abilities on encounter cards at their location. “You” in that case is the person resolving that action ability. The third “you” on Searching for Izzie is an error and should be replaced with “Jenny Barnes” because it is otherwise unclear who “you” are.

My apologies. Hope this clears things up!

Matthew Newman

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

No, they update them for the next reprint only. They've been known to screw up reprints too :)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I got my Rougarou, Carnevale and Museum packs in the mail today. Looking forward to getting my rear end kicked just like everyone else this weekend. Kinda sucks that by the spoilers we've got of later Dunwich cards, they'll be really heavily XP focused so won't be viable for standalone side-scenarios. I guess this means our cardpool for them will more or less plateau until the next big box.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Essex county express release date is march 16th.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

New preview up for Essex Express: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/3/7/fast-track-to-nowhere/

!

!!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

It's kinda funny how much of a difficulty spike there is between the campaign scenarios and the side-scenarios. I just flew through Core and Dunwich (inc. MM) solo, but get totally wrecked through New Orleans and Venice every time. With the way scaling works, those side-scenarios really seem like they want at least two players. Even then, the difficulty looks sharp as all hell. One of my runs through Venice was totally destroyed by bad chaos pull after bad chaos pull, but while in other scenarios you can recover, you're on a knife-edge most of the way here and if you get behind, those hunters will destroy you.

I really like the challenge of those sides and think that with a larger card pool they'll stay fresh as new strategies are developed.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I was playing Carn and Rou with Jim which was probably a mistake. People rave about his consistency, but he can take so long to get set up that everything has spiraled already in those side-stories.

I've been having great success with Ashcan in my main playthroughs, primarily because of the ridiculous movement increases Duke gives. I will have to give him a spin through those sides as I think he's one of the few that can keep up with the pace solo.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Two willpower is so painful against treacheries. You can just end up permanently frozen in place and fall way behind.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Care to share in thread?

quote:

Spoilers for the Essex County Express are trickling in. Find below a list of all of the cards that have not been officially spoiled by FFG (beyond Stand Together, Bandolier, I'm Outta Here!, Charisma, and Relic Hunter).

Reminder: "Bullshit Token" = Skull, Cultist, Tablet, Elder Thing, or Auto Fail token (basically all the nasty ones).

Seeker

Deduction

Type: Skill
Traits: Practiced. Expert
XP: 2
Icons: Intellect, Intellect
If the skill test is successful while investigating a location, discover 1 additional clue at that location (2 additional clues instead if succeed by 2 or more).

Art Student

Type: Asset
Traits: Ally. Miskatonic.
XP: 0
Cost: 2
Icons: Intellect
Slot: Ally
Reaction: When Art Student enters play: Discover 1 clue at your location.
Health: 1
Sanity: 2

Rogue

Switchblade

Trait: Item. Weapon. Melee. Illicit.
XP: 2
Cost: 1
Icons: Combat, Agility
Slot: Hand
Fast.
Action: Fight. You get +2 Combat for this attack. If you succeed by 2 or more, this attack deals +1 damage.

Mystic

Shriveling

Trait: Spell
XP: 3
Cost: 3
Icons: Willpower, Combat
Slot: Arcane
Uses: 4 charges
Action, Spend one charge: Fight. This attack uses Willpower instead of Combat. You get +2 Willpower and deal +1 damage for this attack. If a bullshit token is revealed during this attack, take 1 horror.

Hypnotic Gaze

Type: Event
Trait: Spell
Cost: 3
Icons: Combat, Agility
Fast. Play when an enemy attacks an investigator at your location.
Cancel that attack. Then, reveal a random token from the chaos bag. If it has a bullshit symbol (but actually not so bullshit in this case), deal the attacking enemy's damage to itself.

Survivor

Newspaper

Trait: Item
Icons: Intellect
Slot: Hand
You get +2 Intellect while investigating if you have no clues.

Lure
Type: Event
Trait: Trick
XP: 1
Icons: Agility, Agility
Attach to your location.
During the enemy phase, each enemy that moves does so along the shortest path toward the attached location, instead of to where it would normally move.
Forced: While attached, at the end of the round: Discard Lure.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

Help, I need to break my crippling addiction to Ashcan Pete, I know other investigators are fun too.

It's not even that he's good, just that he's so convenient in that you can't really have a bad draw with him (other than weaknesses, obviously).

Play a seeker with Pathfinder and Shortcut for a while. Then go back to Pete anyway cos you miss your dog buddy.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

The print run was pretty small in general. The store I work at got allocated 2 copies, meaning there wasn't enough to go around even at the distribution level.

FFG have been having supply issues. Their factory is currently booked solid and demand is outpacing their production capabilities. They want to do another run in June, but things like Destiny are wildly popular too so everything is competing for space. Oh, and then there's the L5R print run coming out later this year that will have a bunch of hype and good press around it.

FFG have many plates spinning and one of the side-effects is reduced printing, which sucks. Your best bet is to either pre-order, or find an online retailer. I'm going to Amazon or chaoscards.co.uk to secure my packs, cos I can't rely on my FLGS to stock enough :(

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Arkham Horror won best tabletop game at the SXSW Gaming Awards. That's nice for them.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Alright, so the motherload of spoilers just hit the scene.

The story seemingly goes that on the way to the Polish translators, the whole next deluxe box got leaked. Investigators, player cards, encounters... the works!

Read the next spoilers absolutely at your own risk. No encounter spoilers in my links, so you're okay for that at least.

The is the expansion: http://i.imgur.com/86KjtfP.jpg

The King in Yellow. You're off to Carcosa for fun and frolics!

These are the six investigators:

Mark Harrigan, the Soldier. He is Guardian and can use level 0 tactic cards. Draws cards when a card you control take damage. He has 3 signature cards: a weakness, an event, and a picture of his wife Sophie that acts as both an asset and a weakness.

Minh Thi Phan, the Secretary. She is a Seeker who can use level 0-2 Survivor cards. Whenever an investigator at her location commits a card to a skill test, that card gains a wild icon, with a limit of 1 per investigator per round.

Sefina Rousseau, the Painter. She is a new investigator to the Arkham files. Rogue with level 0-2 Mystic cards. Her deck limit is 33 cards and has 3 copies of a signature event and 1 weakness. She doesn't get to mulligan but starts with an opening hand of 13 cards. She can place up to 5 events under her Investigator card, then discards down to 8. As an action that doesn't provoke AoO, she can draw any event under her card. Her event lets her play a copy of an event under her card.

Akachi Onyele, the Shaman. Mystic who can use cards with "charges" level 0-4, Occult cards level 0. Assets she plays enter play with an additional "charge" and her Elder Sign lets her give it another charge.

William Yorick, the Gravedigger. Survivor who can use level 0-2 Guardian cards. Once per round, when he defeats an enemy, he may play an asset (paying all costs) from his discard. His elder sign lets him return cards from discard to hand.

Lola Hayes, the Actress. Neutral. Deck size 35 cards, with 2 signature events, and 2 signature weaknesses. She has 3 in all stats and 6 health/sanity. She can use Neutral cards level 0-5, and cards from all classes level 0-3. She also has to use at least 7 cards each from 3 different classes. After drawing her opening hand, she chooses a 'role' (neutral or any of the classes). She can only play neutral cards, or of the class of her role. One per round she can change her role as a free action. She can also change it when she draws Elder Sign. Her event is fast, draws a card, changes your role, and reduces the cost of the next card you play of that class this phase by 3.

Guardian cards: http://i.imgur.com/GmRy8M6.png

Seeker cards: http://i.imgur.com/mzufiXZ.png

Mystic cards: http://i.imgur.com/kJPiuN9.png

Rogue cards: http://i.imgur.com/Cxlbdbz.png

Survivor cards: http://i.imgur.com/o3M77xD.png

More details are arriving...

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

My FLGS had it, but they've started ramping the price up cos of demand - the gouging bastards!

You know, I support local gaming and supply/demand economics etc., but that still leaves a bitter taste.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Dr. Clockwork posted:

What were they charging?

€15.50 for MM, €16 for Essex, €19 for Blood. I'm not exactly crying over an extra 3.50 a month, but packs are a fiver cheaper on chaoscards now, so I don't think I'll bother with there any more.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

The book is awesome though.

Agreed; I didn't get the pre-order, but the art alone is worth it

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

medchem posted:

I thought Ashcan Pete was amazing?

the asset buddy ends up being a liability when you run afoul of redneck cultists

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

heckyeahpathy posted:

I think Ancient Evils in general is just a bad set. "Lose a turn, no skill test" isn't a lot of fun, to the point that my group has discussed a house rule of leaving it out in favor of something else.

Yeah, for sure. Ancient Evils is just a "you have less fun" card; no interaction with anything, no fun roleplaying stuff you can do. You can tell that it was a design bandaid to paper over pacing cracks, but it's not interesting or creative at all. Still, it's early days and I hope they stop using it in future.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Me and the Mrs are looking to get back into this after bailing around the middle of Dunwich. How have the campaigns been since then? We're most interested in Carcosa, but did it turn out good?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

Why'd you bail? It might help to know why you weren't into it before.

Oh we just kinda faded out of it as our gaming nights gradually got less and less regular and just eventually stopped. We want to get back to regular nights and with Netrunner, our other game of choice, dying out, we want to get this fired up again. Carcosa piqued out interest especially, so it's good to know it was well received. I'm hoping with a wider card pool we'll also be able to properly give Carnivale a good run, as it was just too brutal the last time we played.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

How badly will Guardians of the Abyss eat me alive going solo? Should I two hand it to save myself the pain?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Interesting additions and may spice up some deckbuilding for sure. On a personal note, it's pretty funny that they just made The Witching Hour easier five minutes after we finished our game after both being mentally taumatised and losing it. Ah well :D

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

She's just way more of a multiplayer focused investigator tbh. You're gonna have a hard time with her no matter what you do. I wouldn't actually play her with less than three players as there are so many better investigators to spend your time with at one or two player.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've played 2 campaigns with Minh and she has been the most well rounded and powerful investigator I've yet to see played. She can absolutely dunk on this game in hard solo.

Both campaigns were 2 player. She'd get all the clues and kill half the monsters. She is completely ridiculous.

How did you find her weakness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Cool! Path was by far our favourite campaign, so it'll be fun going back again. It was pretty tough the first time around though, so I'm sure this will be quite the challenge.