Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Zoey is such a well-designed character. She's insanely powerful at her one job, which is murder, but when there's no monsters out she's more or less a liability. I had a Zoey/Jenny game end poorly because we kept drawing non-monster encounter cards, so Jenny was basically on her own.

Zerf posted:

Need to try Zoey next. Or Rex.

Also, do people enjoy playing survivors? I've built an "Ashcan" Pete deck, but I don't feel like it will be any good. I mean, Duke's good, but he's once per turn unless discarding cards. I splashed Pickpocketing to help card draw (and along with Rabbit's Foot that should help). But just as Wendy, Pete's got willpower 4, and the survivor class can't really do anything with it.

Hopefully we'll see some cards that can take advantage of it, right now it feels like a wasted stat.

I don['t really care for either survivor. I like most red cards and I use a couple reds whenever deckbuilding rules allow me to, but Wendy and Pete don't do much for me. Wendy is godawful on her own, though she's OK in a group as an evade tank. Her stat spread is so weird though and she really can;'t leverage her willpower for anything useful.

Pete can do more with Willpower 4 than Wendy. at least; he can splash into Shriveling to give him a non-Duke related combat option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Fellis posted:

Is Daisy as broken in this as she is in Arkham horror?

she's insanely good at her niche, yeah

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

So I just got the core set with the first two scenerio packs and plan on grabbing the first expansion. I need some advice on storage solutions. Is it worth it to get one from broken token or are there other ways that are better?

I've got my player cards in a binder for easy shopping, my scenario/encounter cards in one of these. Dice kept in the back of the pendaflex and used instead of resource/health/sanity/doom tokens. setup is super fast and easy. I don't really see the point of the brokentoken poo poo

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is it possible to spend a boatload of money on cardboard dividers?

I assume he meant the brokentoken, which is balsa not cardboard but yeah

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Quick Thinking looks so great I'm already considering proxying it

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

That's such a cool and thematic mechanic. Short term power hampering your long term development.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

e: extremely the wrong thread

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

Holy poo poo, Pathfinder.
Daisy just went from The Best to No, Seriously, The Best

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I don't find Daisy boring at all, but usually soloing 2-handed so I have poo poo to do other than spam books and snuffle up clues

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

my flgs apparently does not give a poo poo about street dates, god bless their souls. Pathfinder and I've Got A Plan are definitely upping Daisy's fun factor. Rex still sucks poo poo tho

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

The game is playable with 1 core but yeah, there are still definitely cards in the core set that you'll want to double up on. It is much better with 2 cores.

You do not need to buy multiple copies of mythos packs (Museum, Essex) or the big box expansions (Dunwich) unless you want to run something stupid like a Roland/Rex/Daisy party (e.g., 3 Seekers) where there will be a lot of competition for the same cards. Dunwich and the Mythos packs each come with 2 copies of each player card.

The game plays well with 3, but 2 is the sweet spot in my personal opinion. It's also great solo; I primarily play it solo, but 2-handed; solo 1-handed was not fun for me. Character interactions make the game a lot more fun.

Demand was higher than expected but FFG is already reprinting Miskatonic and Dunwich, so you'll be able to get them soon. Preorder packs or set up a standing preorder with your FLGS or use the Team Covenant subscription and you should be fine.

Replayability has not been an issue for me. Each scenario has multiple endings, and if you avoid reading them in the campaign book until it's time that can increase replayability a bit. Also so far they've done a great job of making each investigator feel very different; my Zoey/Daisy campaign felt very different from my Roland/Rex campaign, and both of those are Guardan + Seeker campaigns.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Plavski posted:

My FLGS had it, but they've started ramping the price up cos of demand - the gouging bastards!

You know, I support local gaming and supply/demand economics etc., but that still leaves a bitter taste.

That'd be the end of the line for me, it's already more money and more work to get most things from my FLGS

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

They did, but it effectively takes FFG months to react to demand.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

But do you have all five playmats

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I really like tactical options that let you mess with the encounter deck like Scrying and now Alyssa.

alansmithee posted:

Inquiring mind is really good, especially for a zero. I don't mind Alyssa either-she actually is kinda amazing with the bonus investigator from the book deal (that I'm still sad I didn't get :( ). Although acolytes largely serve the same function.

Charisma seems like it would be absolutely required before investing in her for Marie -- 4 resources is expensive for a Mystic and a Baron Samedi draw would kill her immediately and waste that investment. Great combo once you have Charisma though.

COOL CORN posted:

I was just looking into that today, apparently Marie Lambeau is going to be in a future expansion, the preorder thing was just to get her early.

Yeah they confirmed you just got her early if you got the book. Scans of the card are out there so she's real easy to proxy. The book is awesome though.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I'm such a child all I can see is Jewel of Areolas

Legacy and the Core set are both back in stock at CSI. http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/233370

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

dexefiend posted:

If i was making a veterinarian investigator's weakness, i would touch on how horrible it is when pets die.

I would have it do 1 horror per creature in all investigators discard piles (up to 3). If no creatures, discard 2 cards and shuffle it back into your deck.

I like the theme but creatures could get into the discard pile by being used for their icons, which I don't take to mean anything bad happened. Maybe something like an ongoing card that deals horror to you whenever a creature leaves play?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

New rundown on two of the characters in Path to Carcosa

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Are character cards considered cards for gameplay purposes? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but given FFG history and things like ID cards in Netrunner not counting as cards I want to clarify.

Like for the purpose of the new Guardian's ability? Yeah, it counts as a card. The article talks about him taking damage himself to trigger his ability. Also the RR has several references to the Investigator Card being under your control or being a player card. (See: Activate Actions, Clues, and Appendix IV.)

PJOmega posted:

Are character cards considered cards for gameplay purposes? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but given FFG history and things like ID cards in Netrunner not counting as cards I want to clarify.

Edit: Also the writers don't remember how Direct Damage works when pointing out the interaction between Sophia (In Loving Memory) and True Grit.

Yeah, that was pretty jarring. I think they just meant to convey that it functionally gives you +3 health, but it reads dead wrong.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Stymie posted:

I'm playing in a campaign with Rex, Skids and Daisy (Rex focusing on clues, Daisy focusing on support with books) and Daisy managed to identify the Strange Solution.

Does that mean that both Daisy and Rex can now upgrade their Strange Solutions, or is it restricted to just Daisy and Rex has to do it too if he wants access to the upgraded versions?

All investigators share the same campaign log, so it only needs to be IDed once per campaign.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Radish posted:

Question: Which is better for a seeker, Blinding Light or Mind Over Matter? For someone like Daisy it feels like mind over matter is way better since it's for a whole turn of tests and doesn't have the chance of an added penalty with the non number tokens. It's also useful for tests outside of evading. The trade off is not doing the one damage but that doesn't really seem worth it to me. Am I missing something, but it feels like Blinding Light gets used more frequently.

They're both good. It kind of depends if you're solo or not. MoM is one of Daisy's best ways to participate in combat early on until she gets her spells and will boosts out. Some people consider it duplicative with Shrivelling but solo it remains useful even when you have Shrivelling out, frankly.

Blinding Light is good but Evasion without killing power is not going to cut it solo.

If you have a Zoey or Roland to kill poo poo for you, it's much easier to let some of those cards go.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Also, new preview up for Akachi:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/7/25/spirits-and-the-occult/

I see we're continuing the Strange Solution card model with Archaic Glyphs for Seekers, which is awesome.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

holy poo poo this game is so good

Yeah, I can't wait for Carcosa. Loving the design choices they're making.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Nope, it cannot. Still real good though.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

We're sort of between reprints right now. If you have a good LGS check there, I find that my LGS has Arkham stuff in stock long after miniaturemarket and CSI have sold out.

The listings on Amazon say they expect more in stock August 2-3, so idk if they know something we don't.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Two cores is optimal, but you don't "need" them. Some people choose to play with only one; see a discussion here. You can also certainly start out with one core and pick up a second later.

The game also gives you suggested starter decks using one core.

The benefit is you can build better and more focused decks with two cores, but if you only want to buy one you can also opt to play with proxies or just with a more limited cardpool.

As the card pool grows more and more through expansions you'll feel likely having one core less and less, really, but one big box and six mini packs later I'm still glad I have two cores.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Even though Acidic Ichor's not a weapon, seeker base combat values are so low you might as well compare it to one. Compared to Lightning Gun it has the same amount of ammo, costs 1 less XP, provides 1 less fist (LG is plus 5, AI sets the Seeker universal base value of 2 to 6, which is not quite the same thing but close enough), and does the same damage. It's also much more resource-efficient, though it has the prerequisite thing going on.

I probably wouldn't use it on Roland, who has good weapons, or Daisy, who can just be a wizard instead, but it seems like a good card to give Rex or Minh a combat option. I think it will really shine for the third seeker in particular, who has very few combat options available.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I usually run two investigators, game's more fun with character interactions. More than 2 is too much work..

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Quidthulhu posted:

Two separate decks and you take turns for each of them, yeah?

Yup! It works out pretty nicely as long as you keep your table organized and know which piles are which.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Schizophonic posted:

I'm free to build the deck, investigators limits permitting, with cards from any of these sets provided they don't cost XP?
Yes!

Schizophonic posted:

But a better unfolding experience may be to operate box by box?
Some people feel that way. I'm not one of them but give it a try, those that like that seem to like it a lot and feel it extends the longevity of the game.

Schizophonic posted:

And if I do start using exclusively the core set for those scenarios, when I start with Dunwich, am I then allowed to freely swap in some of those no XP cost cards before starting?
Per the rules as written, no. It costs 1 XP to swap Level 0 cards unless you have the Rogue permanent Adaptable.

As the packs were being released, my wife and I houseruled that when a new pack was released, we could swap new level 0 cards in at will in our in-progress campaign, because that seemed unfun.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

You can play any of the packs as a standalone adventure. The rules sheet will give you special setup rules to do so.

They're meant to be played in order, though, as a continuous story.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Pinwiz11 posted:

Any thoughts on how to keep all of the main Scenario cards secured together in a group? I don't have issue with Encounter sets as I can stick them into a single sleeve, but I'd prefer to get them out of their original packaging if I can help it.

As for character cards, I've been keeping them in a couple of old magic Fat Packs for now and our decks are in sleeves that match the color of the investigator. If I can find a simple way to manage the scenarios then a longer card box should handle storage.

I've got all my scenario cards, encounter sets, and basic weaknesses in a box with index card dividers. One box holds all of the core and all of Dunwich (sleeved). I had to kick Rougarou and Carnivale out into a second box, though. Player cards go in a binder. Setup and deck construction are both pretty good this way.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I was getting all pissy at Team Covenant for not delivering Carcosa and I just found out it's been sitting in my mailbox for god knows how long. I forgot how small the big box expansions are.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

New preview of Carcosa Pack 3, giving some more details about the Doubt/Conviction system. Also Pickpocketing is even better now.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I got an email from Team Covenant -- apparently there's an Arkham Horror novella about Jenny Barnes. Comes with an alternate art Jenny Barnes and two new, alternate signature cards. Also Jenny is apparently short for Guinevere.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I'm someone would have bought the novella anyway, and I still agree completely. Anything affecting gameplay should be available through normal pack purchases. Alternate art or foil cards or whatever would be fine, but this kind of smells.

Someone posted pics of the cards and rules:

Also someone received Roland promos instead of Jenny promos by accident, so I would expect more of these are coming.

So one of Roland's promo cards has a mechanic that, to the best of my knowledge, does not exist anywhere else in the game (clue creation).

It gets hard to defend FFG sometimes.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 20, 2017

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

That Medallion mechanic is actually pretty cool and interesting. Roland's one is cool but surely a single free clue isn't enough incentive to replace the .38? Hopefully they get wider releases when zero people purchase their terrible books.

But is this a new thing? Didn't a previous book come with a completely new exclusive investigator?

Marie, allegedly, will be part of a future big box expansion. The cards attached to the novellas are exclusive.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Yeah, that's definitely true, especially if you sleeve like God intended.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Do you bother to sleeve your cards, and if so, which ones? I've sleeved the small character cards since I would destroy them trying to flip on a regular basis, but any others seem like it would just get in the way.

I use KMC Perfect Fit and sleeve everything, as God intended

Bottom Liner posted:

Weird rear end product release

https://t.co/lQegkI8JIE

Like why put effort in designing and devoting an SKU to expanding the core campaign? Weird.

66 cards is about the same size as a standalone pack (e.g. Rougarou), but by throwing in the ~deluxe box~ they're able to charge us $25 for it instead of $15

FFG in a nutshell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

These are about as cheap as Mayday sleeves, are they better??

I like them more than Maydays, the fit is always perfect (:haw:) and they hold up to shuffling very well

They're not significantly different, though