Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Prairie Bus posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/31/the-forgotten-age/

New cycle announced. The new mechanic looks cool, hopefully the scenarios will jump around the world. I’d love to see some Mountains of Madness settings in this one.

Oh man I love Ursula Downs. Give me Diana Stanley in this cycle and my wishlist is complete

Exploration sounds cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Mark Harrigan supremacy continues unabated

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

My wife and I did Daisy/Zoey and we broke.the game over our knee

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

are nerds buying a lot of these books when will this scam end

[edit] On the other hand, this weakness is hilarious.

I buy them. I'm the moron who rewards FFG for their awful practices. They're terrible books. The picturebook Marie came in is the only one I like

Silas's weakness is bonkers, holy poo poo

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

haha Calvin looks amazing, cant wait to misplay him and completely tank our next run

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Despite going all out and buying the core set, Dunwich Horror, all of its expansions, Path to Carcossa, and one of its expansions, as well as the Broken Token hobby case organizer (and requisite hobby case organizer from Hobby Lobby) and for some reason sleeving all of my cards, I hadn't gone past the core scenario which I played all the way back in 2016.

I have finally set aside time to play this 2P with a friend who'd been willing all along, and we played the first scenario (1B - House Always Wins) last night. I love this game so much.

I picked up The Forgotten Age so I could play as Ursula Downs, because I love Seekers and her free investigate ability after moving is so good. My friend played as William Yorrick and was our monster killer.

Ursula's ability actually wasn't fantastically helpful in this scenario for obvious reasons to those who've played it, but she still did alright, and we got probably about as much experience as we could reasonably hope for and completed the objective.

What do you guys do if you don't quite like a few cards of your deck after just the intro scenario? I know the rules are that you have to spend at least one experience to replace any cards (so level 0 cost 1 after the pre-campaign deck building) but I also think it's fair for us as new players to drop one or two cards in exchange for some other 0-cost ones. Maybe I'm just playing in wuss mode.

My wife and I have houseruled that Adaptable is just a "passive" -- every character we play can swap up to two level 0 cards for free as if they'd bought Adaptable for the first and sometimes second scenario of a campaign (or whenever a new pack comes out if we're doing the current campaign). She felt that the rules as-is discouraged experimentation and trying new cards; I disagreed initially but in practice it really does feel less like a punishment for checking out a new card, and it's increased the fun factor for us.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 25, 2018

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Kalko posted:

New pack is up and I love this. Couple new cards shown, including a new evade trick which looks good for Wendy.

That is so cool. I am continually impressed with the gimmicks they come up with

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

It's called picking Lola.

Lola and the paintergirl are the only two pre-Forgotten Age heroes we've never tried. Are they actually any good?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

Lola is trash. She's actually far more specific than her multi-color nature would suggest (strong preference for passive effects due to the role mechanic) and right now the deckbuilding advantages do not really offer nearly enough advantage to make up for the role system and lack of proper ID ability. Consider her challenge mode.

Sefina, on the other hand, is actually pretty nice. She's really a fake mystic though - her zero level deck strongly leans purple, but expands green with xp. She's really hosed by inability to upgrade shrivelling, but her ability is ace for both pre-game tutoring and the power of repeating certain events ad nauseam with painted worlds. Consider Hot Streak being playable up to five times without shuffling, out-Jennying Jenny, while retaining an additional gimmick.

IcePhoenix posted:

Sephina owns. I went all in on her gimmick and went for building around mystic cards with rogue fillers rather than focusing on rogue cards. This is partially because my group is also running a Jenny, but her high will and sanity makes the mystic focus very good, imo.

THat was our take on Lola too -- she seems really underwhelming. We kind of lumped Sefina in with her, but this is making me want to try her out next run. Thanks guys!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

RttNotZ player cards:

The new Hot Streak is particularly interesting, it's actually worse than default Hot Streak but costs less XP, which opens it up for anyone who's limited in level on what Rogue cards they can take. At a quick skim I think that opens it up for Wendy, Finn, Lola, and Leo as an option.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 25, 2018

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

RttNotZ just came in the mail from Team Covenant today

like, I knew what I was getting I willingly agreed to be ripped off by FFG, but there's something very stark about opening that big box and seeing the contents

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

holy poo poo Borrowed Time looks good

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh man I love Ursula Downs. Give me Diana Stanley in this cycle and my wishlist is complete

ACHIEVEMENT COMPLETE

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

jeeves posted:

Starting Dunwich after being disappointed by how brutal Night of the Zealot is = hellz yeah.

Also my girlfriend is playing Zoey and I'm curious if I should be worried at how much she's enjoying being a mass murder machine.

Oh well, Duke will protect me. Duke rocks.
haha

My wife almost always plays Zoey and we will sometimes come close to losing because shes too busy on a murder rampage halfway across the map to bother helping me win the game

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Spoiler of upcoming weapon from facebook:

seems pretty good.

also I wish they'd do a magic-style fade on dual class cards, it just looks like a Seeker weapon

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Ubik_Lives posted:

Yeah, ancient evils should be remove from play after it resolves, and have no effect and gain surge if another ancient evils was resolved that turn.

This is house rule worthy, I like it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Aside from subbing in Resurgent Evils, I have half a mind to just leave out Ancient Evils from any scenario that uses it. There has never been a game where "lose a turn" has ever been fun or clever.
We do this sometimes and have literally never regretted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

...and now I'm deeply depressed that's not a real thing