Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

God Hole posted:

I'm confused about some aspects of the DID Kevin suffered from and I'm wondering if they were addressed at all in the movie and I just missed it. In ATJ's interactions with Hedwig, he intimated that he was in control of who was allowed to take the light, and that this privilege used to belong to Barry before it was wrested away by Dennis and the woman personality. Why does Hedwig have this power now? Where does a mentally deficient 9-year-old boy factor in to a plot to bring about an apocalyptic being?

I think Hedwig was always able to take the light whenever he wanted to. Being a 9 year old it was pretty random, but Dennis and Patricia convinced him to steal it and keep it and only give it to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

ElectricSheep posted:

Anyway, at least two posters have mentioned multiple movies where M. Night has maligned mental illnesses for the sake of a plot. Apart from this movie and The Visit, what others are we talking about?

The Village. You could maybe argue The Sixth Sense.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Timeless Appeal posted:

I always thought it was heavily implied that the guy at the start of the Sixth Sense could also see dead people and wasn't mentally ill, just tired of seeing ghosts.

Yeah, definitely. I'm just sure someone could use it in an argument about Shyamalan's treatment of mental illness.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Awesome. The Visit and Split are two of his best films, so he's definitely in a creative groove right now.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The only Shyamalan movie I outright hate is The Last Airbender and the only one other than that which I find boring is The Village, so I'm pre-sold.

• Locked thread