Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shyamalan really needs to take like a college level primer on mental illness and poo poo because him using it as some hosed up crutch to explain psychotic superhuman poo poo is becoming weird. Also that 2nd bigger twist, wow he had some giant loving balls having that whole thing be the endgame. Kind of hosed up the aspect of "statement on mental psychosis etc" with that bigger twist but oh well. This was absolutely ridiculous and would have been bad if James Mcvoy wasn't so goddamned great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

as batshit as this was, I was impressed with what McAvoy did with his character(s) and how truly creepy/intimidating he came off as.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Megasabin posted:

This movie was awful. The meta twist is neat, but has no bearing at all on the quality of the story in the movie itself, which was shallow and boring. I had high hopes after the Visit, but this is a backstep into his usual dreck.

I don't understand where the narrative tension was supposed to come from. Was the twist really that there was a beast? Did anyone honestly believe there was not going to be a beast? The whole movie builds up to it, and then we get 10 minutes of "payoff", which equates to him crawling on some walls, tanking a shotgun shell, and bending some metal bars. It wasn't even exciting. Also the trailer ruined 90% of it including him climbing on walls and bending the metal, which made the beast a foregone conclusion before the movie even started. It's not like the rest of the movie was even exciting. The entire thing was a slow burn up to a climax that never came.

I'm not even going to get started on Shyamalan's treatment of mental illness, which has always been piss poor. He just uses it so crudely, as a means to a narrative end.

Lol you had high hopes after The Visit, another film where mental illness is used as a means to a narrative end? Not sure how you have a problem with just this movie when The Visit literally casts "crazy people" and demonizes them as literal loving monsters. If anything, this movie handles it slightly better because it's cloaked postmortem as a supervillain origin story and more or less tries to pass off personal suffering as the trigger.. Still corny as poo poo but that's Shyamalan for you.

• Locked thread