Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I liked the movie for what it was, but I'll agree that the subplot with ATJ and her uncle was poorly done, and the implications of the reason for her survival to be a little troubling.

I'm confused about some aspects of the DID Kevin suffered from and I'm wondering if they were addressed at all in the movie and I just missed it. In ATJ's interactions with Hedwig, he intimated that he was in control of who was allowed to take the light, and that this privilege used to belong to Barry before it was wrested away by Dennis and the woman personality. Why does Hedwig have this power now? Where does a mentally deficient 9-year-old boy factor in to a plot to bring about an apocalyptic being?

Also, We Need to Talk About Kevin. He seems to be the main progenitor personality, but he's been tucked away since 2014, even kept in the dark about the goings-on of the body. Have the other personalities agreed to keep him suppressed, and if so, for what reason? In the short time we saw him he seemed to be pretty rational and considerate. Also, the Dr. seemed to know that Kevin was a personality that hadn't been around in a while since Barry took charge, she knew how to summon him, yet she also seemed to be perfectly okay with the knowledge that the other personalities were keeping him banished with Dennis and the woman to some kind of nether region of their psyche. What's that about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Victorkm posted:

I'm not sure the twist was intended to be that The Beast is real. I mean, I spent much of the movie with the impression that the main girl was the tough, stoic one whose family taught her at a young age to hunt and be strong. The other two girls were panicking and doing really dumb stuff to get themselves punished while she was just biding her time and being smart. Turned out though that the flashbacks were actually about her being abused and broken, and that her stoicness was just a passiveness brought about by her past. It just showed actions in a new light that completely changed the way they came off.

I wouldn't say she was totally broken and passive, I think when they first meet Kevin the other girls are pretty set on bum rushing him the next time he comes in she says something to the tune of "No, we should wait, we don't even know what this is yet."

She was pretty clearly gauging the situation before calculating an appropriate move. She could still be an abused, broken protagonist, but that doesn't make her initial inaction a resignation to the circumstances.

• Locked thread