Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think part of the problem was that the two girls who got eaten were portrayed as just as smart, capable, brave, and kind. The only reason the main girl survives is because another man had already raped her making her 'pure' in the eyes of the villain. It was her most distinguishing characteristic.

Abuse is a touchy subject in film, but it's generally tasteless for the plot to define / distinguish characters entirely by abuse they've suffered. (Especially when actual victims regularly struggle against being defined by their abuse.) Split weighing it that heavily was a clumsy handling of a delicate issue. I didn't toss my popcorn, but I get why your friend did - especially if Split's uninformed presentation resonated against his own experiences or someone's he knows.

e: I actually enjoyed the angle he took by portraying DID as a only potentially a mental illness while hinting at pseudo-supernatural connections. It boosted my (much needed) suspension of disbelief for the ending, and divorced the lovely aspects from the real world. If the super-spoiler had come at the front of the movie, it might have realigned our expectations - portraying mental illness in the context of the superhero comic book reality of Unbreakable is much easier to accept than "this is happening an hour from your theater."

moths fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

ElectricSheep posted:

From Kevin's perspective, he only saw ...

This is true (and a really great catch), but I was referring more to the film as a whole in its treatment of the other character.

It's a subtle distinction, and one more usually associated with racist fictional characters vs actual racist themes. (Except here it's stigmatizing abuse victims.)

• Locked thread