Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Oh man guys, so I had the weirdest experience seeing this flick, and I need y'all's help.
I was spoiled on the Twist by n article io9 had that said the movie is better if you're spoiled on it. So I took a friend to go see the flick who I knew wasn't spoiled, so I could see how he felt about it.
He loving threw his popcorn on the ground and stood up before the movie even cuts to the diner.I yanked him back down because A) The movie aint done yet but B) I at least wanted him to know what the twist was.
The ending happens, he storms the gently caress out of the theatre.

So I'm figuring that he's got a problem with how they handle the DID in this flick and he explains to me that it's like Morally Wrong to make the girl survive because of her sexual abuse and that his problem seemed to be that the movie even had a character who was sexually abused in it, and that it was crass and vulgar in the same vein as Fridging a female in fiction.

Like...nah, right? This isn't a case of a movie treating women badly, or at least not enough to get up and storm out of the show huffy puffy, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
But the thing is, I'd understand that point of view if we're talking about...idk, what's another movie this runs the plot...I Spit On Your Grave? I'm sure there's tons of options but I ain't about to have "rape in movies" in my search history.

Point is, rape and sexual abuse being used as a cheap plot device is a problem in movies, I think we all agree on that. But this is a movie that claims if you have DID, you'll be climbing on the walls and have +5 Magical Skin. Which all happens less than five minutes before the Abuse plot line is paid off. When I brought this point up, because originally I assumed THAT was what he had issue with, and his response was "I don't care about the DID Stuff" which is where he lost me.

If this movie does have a problem it's how it handles BOTH issues, not just one or the other.

• Locked thread