Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Welcome to Face Off! Face Off is a reality competition show where artists compete in weekly challenges to complete a SFX makeup in regards to pre-determined challenge themes and props. In case you thought you missed the last season you probably didn’t. Last year only one season aired at the beginning of the year and with the momentary break, season eleven looks like it will breathe new life into the competition again.

Why? Because it’s All-Stars! Believe it or not, this is the first ever season with a cast of alumni. Season Five had a Veterans vs. Fans theme and it produced some of the show’s best work.

CREW |

Mackenzie Westmore
Host and Creator of Westmore Beauty cosmetics.

Michael Westmore
Mentor and Oscar & Emmy Award-Winning Makeup Artist

Glenn Hetrick
Judge, Artist, Designer and CEO of Optic Nerve Studios

Ve Neill
Judge and Oscar & Emmy Award-Winning Makeup Artist

Neville Page
Judge, Concept Artist and Design Consultant

CAST |

Gage Hubbard
Runner-up from Season 1
Hometown: Willard, Utah
Residence: Los Angeles, CA

Cat Paschen
9th Place from Season 6
Hometown: San Francisco, CA

Niko Gonzalez
4th Place from Season 6
Hometown: San German, Puerto Rico

Tyler Green
Runner-up from Season 6
Hometown/Residence: Litchfield, Connecticut
Occupation: Special Effects Make-up Artist, Inventor and CEO of Creative Genius, LLC

Cig Neutron
Runner-up from Season 7
Hometown: New Castle, IN

George Troester
4th Place from Season 7
Hometown: Buffalo, NY
Residence: Panorama City, CA

Keaghlan Ashley
9th Place from Season 7
Hometown: Oxnard, CA

Rachael Wagner
7th Place from Season 7
Hometown: Chapel Hill, NC

Stella Sensel
5th Place from Season 7
Hometown: Milwaukee, WI
Residence: New York, NY
Occupation: Freelance Make-up Artist, specializing in special effects

Emily Serpico
Runner-up from Season 8
Hometown: West Palm Beach, FL
Residence: Orlando, FL

Logan Long
Runner-up from Season 8
Hometown: Park City, UT
Residence: Salt Lake City, UT

Adam Milicevic
5th Place from Season 8
Hometown: Merrillville, IN
Residence: Los Angeles, CA / Osaka, Japan

Ben Ploughman
Runner-up from Season 9
Hometown: Austin, TX

Evan Hedges

Runner-up from Season 9
Hometown: Boulder, CO
Residence: Denver, CO

Jasmine Ringo
9th Place from Season 9
Hometown: Atlanta, GA
Residence: Las Vegas, NV

Mel Ebbe
Runner-up from Season 10
Residence: Milwaukee, WI
Hometown: Milwaukee, WI

Season 11 begins on January 24th and airs weekly at 9 EST on SyFy and Space.

Shneak fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Reserved just in case.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Aw yeah, should be pretty great. Hopefully they thought really hard about the challenge topics as well because they were obviously starting to run out of good ideas in the last few seasons.

I don't recognise half the contestants but I guess season 1 was all of ..... (checks Wikipedia) ..... only six years ago? poo poo, my memory must be going.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I don't recognise half the contestants but I guess season 1 was all of ..... (checks Wikipedia) ..... only six years ago? poo poo, my memory must be going.

I've seen every season of this show and I don't remember anyone from earlier than season 9, so your memory could be worse. The contestants on this show never stick in my mind.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."
Yeah, half of them might as well be new contestants to me but I am excited for Gage, Cig, and Tyler who were all finalists who could have easily won their seasons.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
I hope some time off has restored their creative juices. Though it's a little worrying that the "all-stars" season mostly consists of forgettable people. I recognize maybe half of them, and one is Niko, who only managed to get as far as he did because he was slightly less bad than the other contestants. Definitely glad Tyler is there and I hope he wins, because I still think he should have won his season.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm actually really stoked about this cast (seven runner-ups will be a bloodbath) except for Cat and Niko who I assume were a package deal. If they can make at least some interesting stuff then all power to them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shneak posted:

I'm actually really stoked about this cast (seven runner-ups will be a bloodbath) except for Cat and Niko who I assume were a package deal.

Oh drat that's right, I forgot about that.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I am sufficiently jazzed for this new season

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Oh this is a bizarre format. Teams of two and there's separate episodes for immunity and eliminations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I find it hilarious that everyone was excited about getting to use green-screen but when they saw their creations in motion they were all "Oh poo poo this technology has limitations" :byodood:

EDIT: Totem poles painted by three-year-olds :allears: man I missed the sass.

Double edit: And Ve Neill saying Bitchin' :swoon:

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 25, 2017

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm excited for this season but it needs more Eric Foxx. :colbert:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
So I made an odd mistake: completely thought Melissa was Mel from last season who had short hair and glasses whereas Melissa didn't. Realized this halfway through the episode.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ha ha ha, Nico and Kat are such a hot mess. I thought they'd annoy me but they ended up making me laugh.

DarklyDreaming posted:

EDIT: Totem poles painted by three-year-olds :allears: man I missed the sass.

It's so great to have competitors doing huge constructions again, especially when they overextend themselves and gently caress up really badly.

That was a great episode.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Aw yeah, the Good Time Fun Time Makeup And Crafting Show For Best Pals is back! And they built in an official friends feature this time around! I love it. I want everyone to win.

Glad to see Tyler, George, Emily, Logan, and Mel back for sure. The only person I can't really recall is Gage but that was Season 1 so I'll give myself a pass.

Green screen was cool, but slightly gimmicky. Still, interesting to allow for some technological evolution in the challenges.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I always love how friendly everyone is in this compared to any other reality competition shows.

One dudes mold was stuck and there's 4 of them out there helping him pry it open, guy's mannequin falls over and half the show helps him stand it back up.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheDon01 posted:

I always love how friendly everyone is in this compared to any other reality competition shows.

One dudes mold was stuck and there's 4 of them out there helping him pry it open, guy's mannequin falls over and half the show helps him stand it back up.

I like the fact that the pre-set teams actually completely shut down the one place things got incredibly nasty / reality showish (though I don't doubt this was organic and honestly it seemed drat near random when it'd happen) were the show-chosen team ups. You'd get oil and water on the same team, or one person who really DID gently caress up badly, and then one of the team would have to throw the other under a bus. It was the only thing that really broke the spirit of "people working together to make cool things."

So I actually like the team format. I want them to make cool poo poo, and the coolest poo poo to win. The occasional horrific disaster is hilarious and entertaining, but for a few seasons it was almost all disaster.

Factor Mystic posted:

Aw yeah, the Good Time Fun Time Makeup And Crafting Show For Best Pals is back! And they built in an official friends feature this time around! I love it. I want everyone to win.

Glad to see Tyler, George, Emily, Logan, and Mel back for sure. The only person I can't really recall is Gage but that was Season 1 so I'll give myself a pass.

I really was hoping for Rashad and Roy but I think the theme is runner ups, not finalists.

I guess Zorg and that one girl who quit one episode early instead of going out with dignity were busy.

ED: Also thank God they're doing all stars, most of the contestants they'd gotten recently were hot garbage.

DarklyDreaming posted:

I find it hilarious that everyone was excited about getting to use green-screen but when they saw their creations in motion they were all "Oh poo poo this technology has limitations" :byodood:

I quite disagree with who won though. The spiked up, semi-transparent runner up was legitimately cool and the winner had stupid detached arm bands floating off the main body that didn't look connected by anything. It really should have gotten dinged by that, plus the other one was flat out cooler with smarter design decisions.

Was kind of surprised. I mean the one that won wasn't awful but I think it was the clear 2nd place design.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 27, 2017

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Cat and Niko are doing well to prove they deserved a spot in this cast. Their makeup was somewhat cliche and didn't display their character traits as much as Emily and Tyler's but it was definitely well made.

Jasmine and Stella deserved to go. Eliminations are going to be hard to swallow this season.

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.
I thought Emily and Tyler's was gorgeous and one of the best makeups I've ever seen on this show. But I guess if they're going by whose makeup more recognizably hit the theme, Niko's and Cat's was a good choice.

Still, though, that fuckin' corroded head detail on Emily/Tyler's...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Niko and Cat went a long way towards winning me over this episode even though I didn't think their makeup was the best on the day. Still, I can see them falling apart in a big way if they hit a rough patch in a future challenge.

Jasmine and Stella's makeup was terrible and they really earned their dismissal. The subject matter wasn't even that tricky, I really can't figure out why they struggled so hard to pin down a concept. Maybe they just couldn't admit to themselves that they had any negative traits? Just pick one at random and lie about it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Shneak posted:

Jasmine and Stella deserved to go.

Agree, and it was telegraphed hard. Logan got 1 confessional so it was obvious it wasn't going to be him.

Hef Deezy posted:

I thought Emily and Tyler's was gorgeous and one of the best makeups I've ever seen on this show. But I guess if they're going by whose makeup more recognizably hit the theme, Niko's and Cat's was a good choice.

Still, though, that fuckin' corroded head detail on Emily/Tyler's...

Same, agree 100%. The corrosion effect was unbelievable. However, Niko's wings may be the first time ever that open wings have been done well on this show. I know it's fabrication not makeup but I don't care, someone finally pulled it off, it is possible, and it was amazing.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
Biased, but I thought Tylemily should have won. Niko and Cat were surprisingly good, though.

When will contestants on this show learn that just sticking some random designs onto a model's body never works?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, that episode is why I watch the show. Good stuff all around and a crappy failure to laugh at. If it takes all-stars to get more than mediocre results, then by all means.

Also I like the 2-person team thing. Keeps the pace up, and it means people are free to work with people and make every project a two-person job.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also I like the 2-person team thing. Keeps the pace up, and it means people are free to work with people and make every project a two-person job.

Yeah I think it was a great decision, especially after last season where my reaction to most of the 'finished' pieces was "That's it? That's all they did?"

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I like the team approach as well, should make for better end results. I understand that shows like to have intensity but I never really enjoyed the deadline aspect. I'd much rather watch them produce consistently awesome products with more time to work.

Oh, and we all know you'll eventually get your mold open after the commercial break.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I think it was a great decision, especially after last season where my reaction to most of the 'finished' pieces was "That's it? That's all they did?"

Doubly gently caress Focus Challenges.

I am 100% convinced they were a thing due to severe budget cuts that season, with everyone going "Well poo poo, we only have 2 days, what the hell can they make in 2 days that is more like 1.5 days given last looks is day 2?" and coming up with the idea to do just one piece of the makeup. It looked like poo poo, it wasn't fun to watch and it kneecapped the coolest thing about the show (watching people do crazy poo poo).

Add in the fact half the people in the focus challenge seasons weren't up to the challenge and eh God, it was not good. I sincerely hope that focus challenges are dead and buried.*

* I would be OK if they assigned one member of the team a focus of one area and the other member another, since that still ends up with a complete make-up, but honestly I rather have no more 2-day challenges ever.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I like the two-person teams as well mostly because I can see them throwing 2+ makeups challenges at them not even halfway through the competition.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Just finished the first episode.

Glenn Hetrick is looking FAT! FAT FAT FAT FAT FAT!

FATTY FATTY FAT FAT!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
A Monster High episode seems entirely within Face Off's wheelhouse and yet also a pointless cash grab by Mattel at the same time

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DarklyDreaming posted:

A Monster High episode seems entirely within Face Off's wheelhouse and yet also a pointless cash grab by Mattel at the same time

Well this is the show that proudly announces people's credits and includes just the worst loving movie/shows without batting an eye. It always surprises me when something like that comes up, and go "Are you sure these people want credit for that movie?"

Thejaff
Jun 14, 2002
Bines au lard

DarklyDreaming posted:

It's really smart of them. They are planning to do a Monster High movie so they got free design ideas.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I hope they work with some of the contestants instead of just stealing ideas because there were some great makeups. Cig/George's looked fantastic, especially the wig and the beauty makeup that used prosthetics well. I don't know anything about Monster High but I'd like to have seen adaptions of other monsters (see: kaijus) and how bizarre that could look without a pre-designed doll.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
As bad as things may get in my life, at least I will never have the title "Monster High superfan".

I thought the Day of the Dead one was best, but I don't know.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I fuckin' love that George and Cig won this contest. When the topic was announced they really obviously hated everything about it:

... so they went "gently caress it, we can't get eliminated this episode, let's just have fun" and screwed around doing each other's makeup and poo poo and somehow ended up hitting it out of the park. And the contestants who were huge Monster High fans mostly screwed it up. :v:

Gotta say though, I think it was a lovely topic. Adapting characters which had pretty much human faces and only slight monstery elements was going to have mostly lackluster results however they cut it.

Shneak posted:

I don't know anything about Monster High but I'd like to have seen adaptions of other monsters (see: kaijus) and how bizarre that could look without a pre-designed doll.

Yeah I think that would have allowed them a lot more creative freedom so the results would have been more interesting overall.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Johnny Longtorso posted:

As bad as things may get in my life, at least I will never have the title "Monster High superfan".

At least one of the people in that focus group has a windowless van and is required to tell their neighbors who they are when moving

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
It really should have been a panel of teen girls. Those people were embarrassing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Clamknuckle posted:

It really should have been a panel of teen girls. Those people were embarrassing.

I cannot wait to see what they come up with if they do another panel of 'superfans'.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Not one of the panelists talked about form language. I am disappoint :(

Liberator_44
Jul 25, 2004
Odd week. The Snow Queen is an interesting concept but "be inspired by a snowflake?" It led to a majority of the teams doing similar concepts (besides for Cig's team and Kat's team...)
I've been pretty impressed this season because 3 days with a pair usually allows them to touch up the rough spots. I hope this 2 day Challenge thing was only this week, or else this season could end up like the last few.
I wish they didn't have to play up the "who is going to get voted off?" by having 2 teams in the bottom 2. One team was clearly the worst with the other just mediocre.
Oh well. We learned Emily has never seen Star Wars (or lots of other movies) and had never seen snow in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Let's just pencil in Emily and Tyler for the finale goddamn

I actually found the bottom two about equal and neither were quite bad. The ice sculpture concept could have been good if it didn't look like marble and didn't use 2D paper forms in the crown. Even though Cat and Niko got eliminated faster than they did in their original season they had way better makeups in just the few that they did this season.

• Locked thread