Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.

Shneak posted:

Let's just pencil in Emily and Tyler for the finale goddamn

For real. I already thought Emily was super talented based on her season, but the collaboration between her and Tyler has been stellar. Their makeup was incredible and more than deserved that win. Also Emily's wig work is a great secret weapon to have, since janky styling can really sink an otherwise good makeup.

Sad to see Niko and Cat go, but their piece really was weak. Overall I thought the designs were pretty good for a two-day challenge, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So if you win the non elimination, you're not safe the following elimination episode?

What's the motivation for the designers to avoid losing or to strive to win the non elimination week? Goofy prizes?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

AndyElusive posted:

So if you win the non elimination, you're not safe the following elimination episode?

What's the motivation for the designers to avoid losing or to strive to win the non elimination week? Goofy prizes?

The winners of the off week get immunity.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Aw no, I'm actually a little sad to see Cat and Niko go even though their entry this week was inexcusably bland.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I had forgotten just how well Adam can fabricate when he's on the ball. That armor looked stunning. However, yeah, Emily and Tyler deserved that win.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
I was surprised Bevan's bearded black ice queen wasn't in the bottom.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Shneak posted:

Let's just pencil in Emily and Tyler for the finale goddamn

For real. THAT was an All-Stars makeup.

Miz Kriss posted:

I had forgotten just how well Adam can fabricate when he's on the ball. That armor looked stunning.

Same, I thought it started out looking jank and even when he explained it I didn't get it. Then the model came out on stage and I was like "ohhhhh".

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Johnny Longtorso posted:

Me too, what a mess.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Johnny Longtorso posted:

I liked the idea they were going for, but it just didn't work. That emerald prom dress didn't help either. I also wish that Cig and George's queen worked better, but it wasn't terrible (I actually liked the makeup, but they deserved the "safe spot.")

This week's episode should have been a "let's talk to every team" night instead of just the top and bottom looks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

SyFy is making another run at a cosplay show which seems like it has a lot of overlap with Face Off.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?utm_campaign=buffer&utm_source=twitter.com&v=cu2B9ythLjY&utm_medium=social&utm_content=bufferfacdd

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why can't we just get another season of Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hef Deezy posted:

For real. I already thought Emily was super talented based on her season, but the collaboration between her and Tyler has been stellar. Their makeup was incredible and more than deserved that win. Also Emily's wig work is a great secret weapon to have, since janky styling can really sink an otherwise good makeup.

Sad to see Niko and Cat go, but their piece really was weak. Overall I thought the designs were pretty good for a two-day challenge, though.

Yep, the people they lost to are NEVER going to make the finale, so it was kind of sad. They had potential but that design was horrible.

And I think the Emily/Tyler team up is working so well not just because they both have talent but because they cover each others weaknesses well. Emily's lack of movie knowledge STILL persists - this was a HUGE problem for her on her season, I had forgotten the sheer damage it did to her at a few points when she had no idea what she was trying to make - but she covers for it with some serious paint, hair, etc. skills. Meanwhile Tyler seems to have a good grasp on pop-culture to keep them on track towards whatever it is they're supposed to be making, while being good in several areas as well.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

smackfu posted:

SyFy is making another run at a cosplay show which seems like it has a lot of overlap with Face Off.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?utm_campaign=buffer&utm_source=twitter.com&v=cu2B9ythLjY&utm_medium=social&utm_content=bufferfacdd

I love the elaborate outfits people make for these things that get posted on the net all the time (That Transformers costume in Japan that could actually transform was loving hilarious), but some reason I have a strong feeling I wouldn't be able to stand this show anyway.

Part of what makes Face-Off so watchable is the fact that most everyone has this kind of professional attitude; they're there to get recognition and show off their skills, and many have spun the show into a successful effects career. They're all clearly aspiring career professionals with a feeling they care more about getting an awesome demo reel on TV than even winning the prize. Where as the kinds of people who will likely be on a show like this, just off name alone, are likely to be the kinds of people that would make you want to jump off a roof after a few episodes.

Maybe I'm quick to judge and I'm sure there will be some nice contestants but there's no way the backstage vibe isn't horrendous poo poo compared.

ED: Honestly I think we can credit this to Weismore and the Judges. This could have easily been a trash-tier show too, but they all seemed to approach this from a kind of .. professional standpoint, and the forced drama stuff was completely eliminated like a season or two in (the first season clearly had typical reality show tactics trying to push stupid poo poo like love triangles) after it became clear that people were, in fact, more interested in viewing people acting cool than bickering. That and the show does seem to stay on good terms with people who have been on it, giving them a bunch of opportunities after and inviting them back. Hell, a few of them really got a huge career boost like Laura.

It's just a vibe these other shows utterly lack. The set design show was loving terrible.

ED2: Actually the only drama I can think of from the first seasons was actually legitimate with that one hilarious dude that came onto the show, said how loving awesome he was, made a melted heap of melted poo poo, and rage quit before last looks.. that guy raged on the internet for months, he was a loving riot. Largely because they didn't need to manipulate that to make it a riot, guy was just bugfuck nuts. Never happened again so they clearly learned their lesson.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 18, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

smackfu posted:

That looks like it's going to be tons better than the previous reality TV cosplay series. The trailer was a bit weird in that it played up the judges but didn't showcase the contestants at all which might be a bad sign? I'll give it a shot in any case.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why do 99% of the episodes in any given season involve some kind of mould drama? Either a mould won't open or there's some other issue with the mould.

Are moulds that unpredictable?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AndyElusive posted:

Why do 99% of the episodes in any given season involve some kind of mould drama? Either a mould won't open or there's some other issue with the mould.

Are moulds that unpredictable?

Latex and silicone are pretty forgiving so it doesn't make much difference to the end product if there's a few minor overhangs or wider points in the mold, but when you're initially pulling a mold off the sculpted clay it can cause it to lock up tight. Basically they make a minor gently caress up through inexperience or by cutting corners due to time constraints (sculpting a design which really needed a three piece mold or more, putting the seam of the mold in the wrong place) which sometimes makes it really difficult to open the mold without loving it up.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I feel like more than one of these makeups were directly inspired by the final boss of Killing Floor :v:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Just give Emily (and of course Tyler) the trophy. And my heart. Good lord she's adorable.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."

Crazy Ted posted:

Just give Emily (and of course Tyler) the trophy. And my heart. Good lord she's adorable.

I came into this season rooting for Tyler and am really glad he got a partner as good as he is. It's hard to see anyone else winning at this point though anything is possible. I would expect them and Cig&George in the finals with the third spot up for grabs.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I just want to give Cig and George unlimited time to see what crazy creatures they create.

Seconding the adorableness of Emily.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Second week where Adam fabricates a needlessly huge accessory that looks awesome, but needs texture work. They look so obviously hollow and plastic.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Aw man, I have a soft spot for Ben and Evan because they're such dorky underdogs but I don't think they'll be around for much longer. They also put in an effort to wear dumb matching outfits at the judging every episode but that usually ends up more cringeworthy than endearing and the result in this episode was that they looked like complete idiots in front of John Landis.

Their matching t-shirts which have each other's faces on them is also pretty cringeworthy. If they weren't such sadsack losers I guess it would be cute?

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.
I don't find the dorky affectations of the teams embarrassing so much as endearing, personally. From matching blue hair to T-shirts with their partner's face, it's all good with me.

Obviously I'm an Emily (and Tyler) fan. They seem a lock for the finals. I think I'd really enjoy a head to head between them and Cig & George. Here's hoping that's how it goes down!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Shneak posted:

Second week where Adam fabricates a needlessly huge accessory that looks awesome, but needs texture work. They look so obviously hollow and plastic.

Too bad they had to scrap the shoulder, as it was it was just big forearm + claws on a tiny bicep which was weird.

Crazy Ted posted:

Yepppppp. Everyone else is playing for 2nd place.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Michael Westmore has a memoir out.

https://www.amazon.com/Makeup-Man-C...d61afa788b7bff2

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I like that the bottom 3 teams got to have a touch up session. None of the bottom makeups were hilariously bad, just not good.

Though, to be fair, Cig and George's makeup was the only great look tonight. :colbert:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

That...was...the...clumsiest product placement I have ever seen.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
2nd chance at last looks was a really great idea, "To be continued" sucks.

I'm in two minds whether making second chance last looks happen more often or not would be a good thing. On the one hand the costumes often get hosed up in last looks or only needed a few extra minutes to really bring them together so the result would be better costumes more often, on the other hand you don't want to contestants to start relying on the idea of having extra time if the judges don't like their makeups because that would undercut a lot of the tension and drama.

Crazy Ted posted:

It was loving hilarious how awkward it was, especially all the contestants acting like they were impressed with the car and its features. "Ooh is it has a third door!"

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

In a weird way I find it less obnoxious when it's super obvious like that. At least they aren't trying to sneak it in.

Also, the double last-looks is neat, but if it means pushing the resolution to the next episode then gently caress it.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I like the second chance last looks, but I think if they did a limit of how many per season (like they did for the save) it would make the contestants unable to rely on that so much.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Cig and George's design deserved the win. It made me think of Tank Girl.

Emily and Tyler's makeup was amazing though, idgaf if it wasn't Mad Max-style. Better than your wasteland getup, Glenn. :colbert:

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Labes for days posted:

Cig and George's design deserved the win. It made me think of Tank Girl.

Emily and Tyler's makeup was amazing though, idgaf if it wasn't Mad Max-style. Better than your wasteland getup, Glenn. :colbert:

That's one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Right behind a three doored car.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Crazy Ted posted:

"I hope y'all find inspiration in the most generic slogan ever."

I like how the judges threw Emily and Tyler under the bus to make it look like they didn't dominate another week. How it didn't fit the concept is beyond me. For real though, I loved Rachel literally just hacking off her own clothing during Second Last Looks.

I see Keaghlan and Mel easily going.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Shneak posted:

I like how the judges threw Emily and Tyler under the bus to make it look like they didn't dominate another week. How it didn't fit the concept is beyond me.

Either that or another Anthony situation where he rolls through no contest.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Ted posted:

We were rolling her eyes at that and saying at least this company has been keeping the show on the air so I guess they can get their awkward product placement out of the way if it stays out of the rest of the episode.

At least it was clearly the car commercial and not some shoehorned car feature into the plot which I have actually seen before.

To be honest the cars are a really weird prize especially when there's 2 people. I totally get all the product placement for makeup and stuff because I mean come on that's what the shows about but I never understood their fascination with economy cars.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I much prefer the obvious plugs for cars. It's much better than when the contestants narrate:
"So we hopped into the new Kia Sorento to go buy supplies for the challenge"
"Man there is so much room in here!"
"Is that a navigation system? COOL!"

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Shneak posted:

"I hope y'all find inspiration in the most generic slogan ever."

I like how the judges threw Emily and Tyler under the bus to make it look like they didn't dominate another week. How it didn't fit the concept is beyond me. For real though, I loved Rachel literally just hacking off her own clothing during Second Last Looks.

I see Keaghlan and Mel easily going.

I think the way that it didn't fit the concept is that she looked more monsterous and the wasteland aesthetic is humans in various state of hard living. The project was gorgeous but it wasn't human.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CommaToes posted:

I think the way that it didn't fit the concept is that she looked more monsterous and the wasteland aesthetic is humans in various state of hard living. The project was gorgeous but it wasn't human.

I actually wanted to shake Glenn and say "You never heard of a Fallout tribal, really?"

Because she looked like one.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CommaToes posted:

Yeah she looked great from a distance:

.... and a certain amount of body modification or mutation would be perfectly on topic but they pushed the non-human element slightly too much:

If they'd turned those horns into skin stretched over primitive cybernetic implants or something like that they may have gotten away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

She looked like a post-apocalyptic showgirl and would have fit in perfectly in either Fallout: New Vegas or Six String Samurai. But I guess she didn't fit into Death Race so.

• Locked thread