Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Human looking or not (not,) it was too clean and glossy to make for a convincing wastelander makeup. And don't get me wrong, I think Emily is awesome, but she seems to be falling back into that same issue she had in her first season, ie BIG hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Can't stand the guy, but Paul WS Anderson was right saying it looked like some Clive Barker poo poo. It was still the best makeup that week.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I thought it was the headdress and wig getting that attribution but now that I see the facepiece and forehead crown design, yeah, fair enough. I guess Mad Max needs some more inspiring radiated mutants.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shneak posted:

I thought it was the headdress and wig getting that attribution but now that I see the facepiece and forehead crown design, yeah, fair enough. I guess Mad Max needs some more inspiring radiated mutants.

Giant headdresses are super popular in the post apocalyptic wasteland

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

I actually wanted to shake Glenn and say "You never heard of a Fallout tribal, really?"

Because she looked like one.
It was kind of funny: they did such a good job that even though the judges hate it when someone does a make-up that doesn't fit with their interpretation of the concept they put it in Top Looks anyway.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I happened to like Adam and Logan's doofy little stone sailor boy. :colbert:

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Miz Kriss posted:

I happened to like Adam and Logan's doofy little stone sailor boy. :colbert:

Ya wtf is with the judges

How dare you make a silly character for this silly rear end Pinocchio challenge.

Stone sailor. Hilarious, if anything it was apeing popeye a little too much but it looks fine.

Robot body was cool, head looks like poo poo.

Leather clown and felted ballerina were cool though.

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?
Did I miss the beginning or did they just 'the thing was resolved off-camera' end the previous cliffhanger with a single line in a talking head rather than telling us?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I also liked the stone sailor, it was charming.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Labes for days posted:

I also liked the stone sailor, it was charming.
They wanted whimsical. They got whimsical.

Also Emily and Tyler again holy :drat:

However, Cig and George should have won because their was just as good technically but a little more fun.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Stone marionette/puppet is such a dumb idea however you cut it, it's not like they could have done an actual serious take on that concept. So of course it was going to be wacky and dumb.
But that face was still really lovely.

Also holy gently caress but Ben and Evan suck all the fun out if this show whenever they're on screen, they just don't seem like they want to be there at all. I can't believe they said "Thank god it's not an elimination challenge" at the very start of the episode, god drat.

Giga Pet giveaway posted:

Did I miss the beginning or did they just 'the thing was resolved off-camera' end the previous cliffhanger with a single line in a talking head rather than telling us?

Rachael and Gage died on the way to their home planet.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I had much higher expectations for Ben and Evan. I may be remembering their seasons wrong but I thought they both had potential. Granted I'm not sure where I would have gone with a gold smith but I'm sure Cig/George or Emily/Tyler would have knocked it out of the park. I also get the vibe that Logan hates being on a team with Adam.

A fun fact I learned from their twitter page, Cig has a corgi named Tupacshacorgi.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

The stone puppet looked like the rock critters from Das Rad by way of Popeye. Not lovely. :colbert:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Emily shaving and painting cotton onto the face is an insane technique. That's a texture I cannot even describe let alone create and apply myself.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Giga Pet giveaway posted:

Resolving last week was the first 5m22s of the episode....

Shneak posted:

Emily shaving and painting cotton onto the face is an insane technique. That's a texture I cannot even describe let alone create and apply myself.

Oh man for real, as she was explaining "I thought this needed more but I've never seen anyone do it, so I invented my own technique" I was like :aaa: Really amazing, and I'm glad the judges recognized. "What, did you just make that up!?" "YEAH SHE DID :D" "Unbelieveable!" sums it all up.

THAT SAID, I do think Cig & George could have won this week due to the AWESOME leather texturing in their face. It was really, really, REALLY good. Plus the wise decisions on not going too goofy and ruining it. Knowing what not to do is half the battle.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also holy gently caress but Ben and Evan suck all the fun out if this show whenever they're on screen, they just don't seem like they want to be there at all. I can't believe they said "Thank god it's not an elimination challenge" at the very start of the episode, god drat.

Yeah, they need some serious design clarity that I don't think is going to happen for them.

Also slightly disappointing me is Logan, I remember him as energetic and creative in his season, but he seems really passive this time, not sure why. Maybe he feels cramped working with hyperactive Adam?

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."

lifts cats over head posted:

I had much higher expectations for Ben and Evan. I may be remembering their seasons wrong but I thought they both had potential. Granted I'm not sure where I would have gone with a gold smith but I'm sure Cig/George or Emily/Tyler would have knocked it out of the park. I also get the vibe that Logan hates being on a team with Adam.

They were finalists on on what I think was by far the least talented group of any season. Ben was on the bottom at least 3 times in the final few episodes(though I think he also had some of the strongest work from that season) and Evan was always just barely not bad enough to get eliminated. I'm honestly surprised they have lasted this long.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The rock sailor marionettes stroke face was just the worst. I'm all for doofy but that wasn't whimsical or amusing at all. Also those hands and forearm prosthetics looked pretty bad overall.

Not an elimination week so like it even matters anyway.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Shneak posted:

She is going to have an amazing career. Isn't she only 20 yrs old?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Clamknuckle posted:

She is going to have an amazing career. Isn't she only 20 yrs old?
Yeah she had just graduated high school as an 18-year-old in her season and had never been away from her parents before.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!
I would love to see this show move to 'blind judging' format. That is, they don't know who did what. As it is, everything some folks do is "the very best" even when it's clear garbage.

Like that leather clown. Come on - they did a face. That's all. Lots of time spent on that dumb-a hat (that cig just had to wear) and a barrel. That's all. Yet "because it's cig", it's in top looks. Safe, for sure but not top.

The two lame dudes - the whole ep I kept thinking "these two need to go". I mean, it's a *contest*, so when you give up on camera, time to pack the bags and leave.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

To be honest, I don't know what you can really do with a golden marionette. "Golden ballerina" works fine on paper, but Tyler and Emily did basically the same concept and knocked it out of the park while theirs was just sort of flat and middling.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So was it just luck that Tyler and Emily's model also happened to be a ballerina? I mean she was doing the pointe technique and poo poo, which is pretty difficult to fake.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's like blonde smiley girl, the only model for the first however many seasons that knew how to move her body

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I think for the goldsmith puppet, rather than trying to do straight gold which is obvious even IF it worked, they should have done like stone with gold ore sticking out. That way it wouldn't be all ....yellow. It would be broken up with the stone tones, and the story could be potentially more interesting, like part of the mine came alive one day or something. Really anything's better than "His daughter died so sad."

Tyler and Emily are both so adorable.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
The only real drama this season is who's going to end up in the finale with Tyler/Emily and Cig/George, right? I mean, there hasn't been a season this lopsided since Anthony.

Unless they do some bullshit like split the teams up for the finale or something.

As far as the third-place contenders are concerned, the stone guy just looks rough (the face is okay, but the rest of the body is terrible), but I didn't think the gold one was that bad. The iron giant just looks like it's all fabrication, was there any actual makeup involved?

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."

Johnny Longtorso posted:

The only real drama this season is who's going to end up in the finale with Tyler/Emily and Cig/George, right? I mean, there hasn't been a season this lopsided since Anthony.

Unless they do some bullshit like split the teams up for the finale or something.

As far as the third-place contenders are concerned, the stone guy just looks rough (the face is okay, but the rest of the body is terrible), but I didn't think the gold one was that bad. The iron giant just looks like it's all fabrication, was there any actual makeup involved?

I think the final four of the first returnee season were obviously waaaay better than their competition but, yeah pretty much. Having some people be obvious finalists doesn't really bother me in talent based reality shows unlike it would in Survivor.

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?

Factor Mystic posted:

Resolving last week was the first 5m22s of the episode....

Oh lord, I just went back and looked and my ep is about 5 minutes too short. I don't know how that got cut off. No wonder it seemed so abrupt!

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I have only really watched this season.

Any recommendations on previous seasons that were fun and good?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

CommaToes posted:

They're all fun & good (except possibly season one which I do not clearly recall). Glancing at wikipedia, seasons 4, 5, and 6 are probably worthwhile. Season 3 was also Laura's first appearance, and Season 8 was Emily's first appearance. Season 7 was when Lois Burwell judged.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
Season 5 (veterans vs. newcomers) was probably my favorite. The last few seasons have been pretty forgettable (I didn't watch one or two of them, but I can't honestly remember which).

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I am really split on Ben and Evan this season. I mean, they're personable enough, but it seems like they really only come through when it's an elimination challenge (though their skeleton girl in the Monster High challenge was really good). It's a little 'here we go again' when they got Jekyll/Hyde and gold puppet that they were like 'we have NO ideas' and just kind of muddle through it.

I'm thinking Tyler and Emily are taking the whole thing, but it also seems like it can come down to luck of the draw with the topic.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

CommaToes posted:

Season 4 just to watch Eric Fox enjoy the hell out of making ambitious pieces.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

CommaToes posted:

Season 5 was a pseudo all-star season and is probably still the benchmark for the show. Season 7 also has an extremely talented cast with big personalities.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Every season with Laura. She's the best.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AndyElusive posted:

The rock sailor marionettes stroke face was just the worst. I'm all for doofy but that wasn't whimsical or amusing at all.

I think my main issue with that face is that it would have been fine for a goofy rock troll that grew organically from natural stone formations but there's no way a stone mason would have carved something that lopsided and haphazard. The mission brief was to create something that looked like it was made by a stone mason and that face fell way outside the brief.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
A gargoyle or a grotesque who was sick of watching everything from above and wanted to join in the fun. An inukshuk who felt abandoned and followed some travelers home. A statue who was built halfway and the commisssion fell through.

A bunch of cool stone concepts that could exist and look like they were made for a purpose, but they decided to go with a goofy stone thing. Concept was flawed, but the stone was good at least.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So Emily & Tyler and Cig & George have been taking turns at first place now for six episodes now and neither team has been in bottom looks yet. They're outclassing the other teams so much it's ridiculous.

Ben & Evan and Adam & Logan are basically facing off against each other to see who'll get to be the third wheel in the final and it really could go either way, they're both struggling at every element of the show. Not that it really matters which of those teams goes through, they're not really any threat. Ben & Evan had one good character this episode which put them into top looks which gives them a slight advantage but they could really easily stuff it up.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

From the previews for next week it looked like they're split into two teams overall so I'm curious to see how it goes. But yeah it's basically two super teams and then those other guys.

Regarding Michelle and Keaghlan (what a name), I felt like Michelle was the stronger half of that team. The petrification on the troll was a really neat touch and she was responsible for all the cool fabrications on their puppet, wasn't she?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

^ You mean Melissa, and yes.

lol at Keaghlan dedicating to her mom the dumb purple fairy that got her sent home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
Adam goes home in the least surprising elimination ever.

I thought those arm flaps were really stupid looking.

• Locked thread