Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay so the 'shops' are strangers randomly assigned to teams, that's a bit disappointing.

Also making them do a werewolf challenge straight off the bat was a risky move, good to see it wasn't a total trainwreck. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Is no one gonna acknowledge that someone thought giving a werewolf six boobies was a good idea? :psyduck:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Miz Kriss posted:

Is no one gonna acknowledge that someone thought giving a werewolf six boobies was a good idea? :psyduck:

I mean, I could roll with it from a whole 'mix of wolf/human attributes' (I honestly have zero clue how many teats canines have), but then again I don't recall how prominently they were sculpted. That 'white wolf team' (it'll take me a few weeks to keep names straight) Omega that got green hair eliminated was an absolute clunker. The whole makeup didn't look like a werewolf, it looked like a slightly confused dog.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Miz Kriss posted:

Ya I had a good chuckle at Six Tits McGee spending all that time sculpting three pairs of lucious breasts instead of helping the girl who ultimately got eliminated work on her chest piece.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've been laughing about it since April

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW1ZlpqVEu0

Pause it 5 - 6 seconds in for werewolf titties :v:

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Not feeling the new format with the "shops". I've never been a huge fan of the overly gimmicky rules seasons though. If they want to change the format up give everyone a week to complete challenges so we can get some kick rear end makeups and some even bigger disasterpieces.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I'm okay with the format change because I don't mind the producers trying to keep it fresh after 11 seasons, as long as it doesn't impact the core of the show. I'll definitely like it if it means we get fewer makeups that are better, instead of 20 barely completed similar things.

Also, don't come on this show if you cant anatomy at least a little bit lol

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The show is still the same regardless of the two team gimmick. It's edited the same, it's paced the same, McKenzie says basically the same things, there's a commerical before Glenn Hetrick announces the winner etc.

Only now it seems like the Team Leader could end up getting eliminated instead of the artist responsible for the worst aspect of the worst look.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
My concerns with the new format is twofold: 1) I've always appreciated how low drama the show is compared to other reality competition and some of the previews looked like there could be a bunch of inter-team bullcrap and 2) putting the team captain guy on the bottom seems kind of unfair when maybe the guys not a strong leader and wasn't expecting to have so much responsibility suddenly put on him. I'm still gonna watch because ultimately for me it's about seeing cool makeups, I just wasn't overly enthusiastic on the premiere.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

This is the second time I've mentioned Chopped here, but what the hell, let's go.

Recently, Chopped was ruined by forcing each episode to work off a gimmick. Sometimes the gimmicks worked great, sometimes they were a total bust. Nobody wants to watch a show whose quality is a coin flip. That brings me to Face Off: apparently now the gimmicks are season long, so if you hate the gimmick in question, you're stuck with it for weeks instead of just one episode. They've managed to make a bad thing WORSE.

I understand the idea behind gimmick seasons; you want to bring new people on board with something fresh. However, if you have a BAD gimmick that lasts an entire season, you've lost that viewer for life.

Now, I'm not saying this season's gimmick is particularly bad - I haven't seen enough to make that judgement - I'm just making the point that gimmicks are an inherently risky, stupid move, and sy-fy shouldn't have done it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Well at some point I'm sure the team gimmick will get dropped when the amount of artists left on the show won't allow for it.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Naw, I'd prefer if the one team kept losing people until it was 1 person vs 6 people and the judges were not fair to the one person. "You seemed to have some issues with time management."

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

CommaToes posted:

Naw, I'd prefer if the one team kept losing people until it was 1 person vs 6 people and the judges were not fair to the one person. "You seemed to have some issues with time management."

Considering 'Twisted Six' aside from Nick seem kind of hopeless, by God I hope we see that. The thread title for this season ought to be 'FACE OFF: Goofus and Gallant edition'.

The queen termite was a bungle by the winning team, but if you're making wasp people, dear god don't give them bug eyes and also just leave their actual eyes there.

The worst I thought was the wasp drone; Neville said it looked more beak-like, but from the black mouth on yellow face, all I could think of was 'Holy poo poo, they made Bee Al Jolson'. The queen face matched with that amazing cowl Nick made really brought it down too.

Was a little bummed by the elimination though. I found Al rather charming. Plus, it seemed like such a poo poo reason. 'You guys need to do three makeups and a prop. Guy tasked with making the prop, you didn't do enough make up. Go home.'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 22, 2017

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

LadyPictureShow posted:

Considering 'Twisted Six' aside from Nick seem kind of hopeless, by God I hope we see that. The thread title for this season ought to be 'FACE OFF: Goofus and Gallant edition'.

The queen termite was a bungle by the winning team, but if you're making wasp people, dear god don't give them bug eyes and also just leave their actual eyes there.

The worst I thought was the wasp drone; Neville said it looked more beak-like, but from the black mouth on yellow face, all I could think of was 'Holy poo poo, they made Bee Al Jolson'. The queen face matched with that amazing cowl Nick made really brought it down too.

Was a little bummed by the elimination though. I found Al rather charming. Plus, it seemed like such a poo poo reason. 'You guys need to do three makeups and a prop. Guy tasked with making the prop, you didn't do enough make up. Go home.'

He probably got axed for spending two days on the last challenge lovingly sculpting not safe for work werewolf octo-tits.
Space (the channel) didn't show the 'creators explain their work to the judges' part for the female werewolf and kept shots of the character's chest to blink and you'll miss it moments during the up-close viewing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

n3wt posted:

Space (the channel) didn't show the 'creators explain their work to the judges' part for the female werewolf and kept shots of the character's chest to blink and you'll miss it moments during the up-close viewing.

That's hilarious. :v:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm glad I didn't see it either it was probably as awkward as it looked.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
This is SACRILEGE in the makeup industry
Glenn Mad. Glenn Smash

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I like to think that twisted 6 was gonna win until they found out that Nick committed makeup sacrilege

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

This is SACRILEGE in the makeup industry
Glenn Mad. Glenn Smash

Sacrilege or not, destroying hours of someone's work without their consent is an absolute dick move. So the dude absolutely deserves to get smashed for that.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

My satellite poo poo itself last night; did Nick get sent home? I agree with Glenn because that was a hosed up thing to do.

N/m it apparently recorded another one. He deserved it. The finished makeups weren't even that great on the fairies either.

Alien Sex Manual fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 28, 2017

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

CommaToes posted:

Not an emptyquote.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Nick did a lovely thing but on the other hand they've pretty much forced people who have never led a shop into that position so of course some of them are going to get stressed out about it and make dumb decisions. It's also disappointing that a show that usually goes out of its way to avoid reality TV 'drama' and forcing people to clash for fake theatrics has pulled this stunt where people will inevitably clash.

The whole "Move one guy to the other team to even things out" move was also bullshit. If you're not going to commit to the team gimmick then don't use it in the first place. :argh:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JuniperCake posted:

Sacrilege or not, destroying hours of someone's work without their consent is an absolute dick move. So the dude absolutely deserves to get smashed for that.

I half think "obliterating another artist's work" is probably straight up against the show rules and they just handled it like that instead of disqualifying him between episodes.

As for the drama, I blame Jill. She seems utterly obnoxious and I totally get why he wanted to jump in and fix it. If he just stayed out of it, she'd just crashed and burned and he'd probably not even been on the bottom.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The whole "Move one guy to the other team to even things out" move was also bullshit. If you're not going to commit to the team gimmick then don't use it in the first place. :argh:

You're missing why this is happening.

Long story short I think that Sci-Fi cut their filming and production time down for these rapid fire seasons. As a result there's a lot of 2-day challenges.

When they ran a normal competition the 2-day challenges were the loving worst. It's not enough time to make the things they wanted and they turned out like pure poo poo. So what I think they've done is started this whole team thing to burn all the 2-day slots with like 5 people working on 3 things, so the quality level can actually be decent. Then when the team gimmick burns out, they can do mostly 3-day slots for the artists.

I mean I can't blame them. The "focus challenges" they tried to do to get around this were dull at best, shittastic at worst. This is a much better format to get around the reduced schedule. I mean this is all just conjecture, but I would bet :10bux: on it.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I personally found the winning woodchuck makeup to be one of the most nightmarish looking things in recent show history. It was well done, but gently caress it was terrifying.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
The sad thing is, there's like 2 good people on Twisted Six. The two who worked on the godfather are actually capable (although one of them was from the other team). I guess the way that this works is that the bad team will lose all of its bad members, while the ones less capable on the good team will get way farther than they could otherwise.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Moving a guy between teams is dumb. They needed to scramble the teams. Best way to do that for ~drama~ is have the most recent 2 winners be temporary team captains, then school yard picks the rest of the people. Now there are new teams and no individual has to be jerked around.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I half think "obliterating another artist's work" is probably straight up against the show rules and they just handled it like that instead of disqualifying him between episodes.

This seems likely.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Kind of unfair to tell stressed contestants that they are responsible for their entire team's performance. Then when one turns out to be a dud that can't take direction and goes off on their own that's just that.

You can't actually reign them in and change poo poo yourself you just have to verbally badger them and hope they do it? Like what if he just kicked her off the sculpt entirely and told her to do another task while he took over/completely redid her work? Would that have been different because he was actually switching team members tasks around instead of just taking the wheel for a while?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blazing Ownager posted:

You're missing why this is happening.

Long story short I think that Sci-Fi cut their filming and production time down for these rapid fire seasons. As a result there's a lot of 2-day challenges.

When they ran a normal competition the 2-day challenges were the loving worst. It's not enough time to make the things they wanted and they turned out like pure poo poo. So what I think they've done is started this whole team thing to burn all the 2-day slots with like 5 people working on 3 things, so the quality level can actually be decent. Then when the team gimmick burns out, they can do mostly 3-day slots for the artists.

I mean I can't blame them. The "focus challenges" they tried to do to get around this were dull at best, shittastic at worst. This is a much better format to get around the reduced schedule. I mean this is all just conjecture, but I would bet :10bux: on it.

They didn't need to set up teams for the entire season to do that, they've had plenty of episodes in the past where they've gone "For this challenge you'll be sorted into 2 teams"

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

bring back old gbs posted:

You can't actually reign them in and change poo poo yourself you just have to verbally badger them and hope they do it? Like what if he just kicked her off the sculpt entirely and told her to do another task while he took over/completely redid her work? Would that have been different because he was actually switching team members tasks around instead of just taking the wheel for a while?

Yeah that would be different. Because at least in that instance there was some communication. Also in most industries when you have a leadership position, you are responsible for the people below you. So when they mess up that's a reflection on you as well but I don't think the judges are always looking to boot the foreman when things go wrong.

What he should have done was sit her aside and talk to her about the sculpt. If she refused to listen and did her own thing despite his best efforts to advise and push her in a better direction then she would have been the one going home, not him. But just unceremoniously destroying all of someone's work without saying even one word to them about it is certainly no way to do it. That's not leadership and that's what is being tested in the foreman role. Also as someone said, there is a very good chance that what he did was explicitly against the rules for the show which would be something that would have sealed his fate anyways.

Don't get me wrong though, I think this format in general is awful but the judges definitely made the right call in sending Nick home given circumstances.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 30, 2017

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
What he did really offended me, and it was clear Glenn almost wanted to boot him on the spot without the deliberation. You don't just change someone's creation like that because you think you know better. That said, had he not tore her clay off, I think he would have been safe after explaining he tried to give her clear direction on how to unify the looks and she couldn't execute it.

This season is a total dud for me, and I kinda spaced on how the show had been scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality contestants due to last season being an all-stars one. Kinda wish they'd kept Mr. Multi-boob just to see what hosed up poo poo he'd try.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Owl posted:

What he did really offended me, and it was clear Glenn almost wanted to boot him on the spot without the deliberation. You don't just change someone's creation like that because you think you know better. That said, had he not tore her clay off, I think he would have been safe after explaining he tried to give her clear direction on how to unify the looks and she couldn't execute it.

This season is a total dud for me, and I kinda spaced on how the show had been scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality contestants due to last season being an all-stars one. Kinda wish they'd kept Mr. Multi-boob just to see what hosed up poo poo he'd try.

They aren't the worst artists this time out but personality wise there's not one that's interesting. They're way, way, way better than past crews but I'm not really giving more than a shrug to any of them so far.

I do hate the format. Then again I kind of hate most of the gimmicks.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
It's telling that despite the new episode there is zero activity in here. It's hard to get excited about this season. Don't get me wrong, some of the make ups on ethereal effects were really good and Kiersten deserved the win. But personally i'm just completely over the one perfect team, one terrible team gimmick.

I feel bad for the next poor soul who has to be shunted over to the bad team to make it even again.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah Ethereal Effects are completely chumping Twisted Six, the 'shop v shop' season concept is backfiring really badly. :v:

I'm glad Jill got eliminated, she was just a drag on her entire team. Andrew and Kierstin are clearly going all the way to the final unless they have a really really bad day, the only question is who'll take the 3rd spot. I'm guessing maybe Faina or Joseph?
I didn't rate Andrew that highly at the start but that was probably because he looks like the lead singer in a Smash Mouth cover band. :v:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm glad Jill got eliminated, she was just a drag on her entire team.

My girlfriend finally cleared up who the gently caress she sounds exactly like: Bonnie from Family Guy.

Seriously it's uncanny.

Also I totally agree with everyone, this season's gimmick is just rear end. It's a one sided slaughter that shows no signs of stopping.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
This season just lacks the artistry of the past few.
Most have the shop skills but no one has really made anything unusual (if you don't count werewolf multijugs) or with a great story written into the sculpt/paint.
Almost all the demons looked like generic demons. No serious body horror for hell's punishment or otherworldly beauty for the temptation based levels of hell. All very humanoid except the hot mess that got sad voice lady sent home.

The fact that all contestants used the horns on the top sides of the head instead of getting creative says a lot.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

They could have used them to make some pretty sweet mandibles/tusks, but alas... :sigh:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

They could have used them to make some pretty sweet mandibles/tusks, but alas... :sigh:

Yeah I was thinking Gluttony could have had giant tusks coming out the lower jaw but I'm curious if they would have been hard-line about horns being their own thing and tusks not fitting the challenge.

I could see Neville being a bit pedantic about it since he designed them specifically to be horns and probably already had some ideas floating around about what they could be connected to.

I really loved the stark white teeth on Gluttony, it was kinda cartoony but the colour palette made it look really cool.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 14, 2017

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Gluttony could have gone either way with that idea, but it ended up looking pretty cool, and I don't think the face sculpt go the attention it deserved.

This season is kind of a bust, but not really because the team stuff as much as the cast. There's a couple decent artists, but would things really be so much better if everyone was doing their own disconnected demon instead of having to use a team theme? No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I think the one plus in having people work in teams is that you don't get one person going "Derrrrrr I can't come up with an idea!!!" because no one is left on their own and they've got a team leader who's job is to get all up in their poo poo.

• Locked thread