Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey at least Glen Hetrick is having fun starring as the MC on Blood Drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Man, I thought I fell super behind in this season but I've only missed two episodes. It feels like I've missed two month's worth.

Disappointed in the fairy tale challenge but the Dante's Inferno one was interesting. Only getting winning potential from Faina or Joseph though.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
How is Phil still in this thing - he's reliably awful and the rest are only intermittently bad.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well that was a dull episode. 'Personifications of the Seasons' was a lovely topic and there's just no way it wasn't going to end with models with bits of plants stuck on top of their heads which is the most boring poo poo ever, especially since the models were going to dance so the contestants were pretty much confined to making cowls and a small amount of facial prosthetics which really restricted in their creativity. The only saving grace was that Joseph's makeup was such a hilarious trainwreck that it was somewhat interesting.

The whole team concept continues to be a complete farce with yet another person from the winningest team forced to join the losingest team and the whole episode ending in a draw anyway.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Shneak posted:

Only getting winning potential from Faina or Joseph though.

Well then...

I have no idea what happened there. His Winter was absolutely terrible.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shneak posted:

Well then...

I have no idea what happened there. His Winter was absolutely terrible.

He pretty much got screwed, it's really hard to think of a depiction of Winter and stick to your team's theme when everyone else is doing foliage-based sculpts. The options are A) big chunks of ice (which the other team did) or B) some sort of Xmas scene (which is going to look dumb no matter what you do) or C) an old age makeup and call it Old Man Winter (which clearly didn't occur to him). He pretty much got talked into B by one of the other guys when he got stuck and you can tell his heart wasn't in it.

He was in pretty much the same situation as the guy last season who was stuck trying to portray the Hawaiian god of the harvest.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Joseph might have survived if he bothered to actually paint the dude's face so that it matched the cowl. Then it wouldn't have been like the dude was wearing a weird hat. If he also replaced the yeti hair with just about anything else, that would have also helped.

Like the make up would have still been bad, but they do take history into account and I think that would have been enough so that Phil would have fallen instead. I'm kinda glad it worked out this way though because if Phil's was the only really terrible one, then it's also possible they might have given the win to Twisted Six based on the strength of their Spring/Summer make ups. Then Kirsten would have been the one to go and she really deserves to get to the end.

They just need to never do shops again. It's telling they had to break their own set up just so they could let the right person go by declaring no winner. What's even the point of teams if they do that? It's just a mess at this point.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Who was the foreperson on Joseph's team? Why didn't anyone tell him a frozen lump head wasn't the way to go?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Who was the foreperson on Joseph's team? Why didn't anyone tell him a frozen lump head wasn't the way to go?

I think it was KC. But at that point, he still had absolutely nothing planned so Twisted Six's newest transfer (I can never remember his name) tried to help him come up with something that wasn't just dicking around making snowflakes. If you're in such a creative hole that another team member has to Hail Mary a concept on the second day, things aren't looking good before the finished product.

The rose-head make up and Faina's autumn one were great.

Every week I'm surprised Phil doesn't get sent packing (those cowl seams were so glaring) but it's like his saving grace is somebody managing to bungle things worse than him every week.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

I wonder why they are giving the shops such huge builds. Why not have the teams focus on 2 seasons each to get better quality work.

Do you think if it wasn't a team style challenge this season we would see better or worse work ?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He pretty much got screwed, it's really hard to think of a depiction of Winter and stick to your team's theme when everyone else is doing foliage-based sculpts. The options are A) big chunks of ice (which the other team did) or B) some sort of Xmas scene (which is going to look dumb no matter what you do) or C) an old age makeup and call it Old Man Winter (which clearly didn't occur to him). He pretty much got talked into B by one of the other guys when he got stuck and you can tell his heart wasn't in it.

He was in pretty much the same situation as the guy last season who was stuck trying to portray the Hawaiian god of the harvest.

I don't know, I think there's a lot he could have done with it. Even his idea would have worked if he'd carried it into the face and not stuck the two Christmas Trees on the head, or actually painted it so it wasn't a big glob of white. Hell even some green tones could have worked.

That dude ended up looking like a disgruntled mall elf forced to wear a stupid hat.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

JuniperCake posted:

They just need to never do shops again.

I think the original idea was to have two established shops go against each other, losing a person every week. That would have been cool, and I feel like the one guy who owns a shop and is really good probably signed on to do *that* show. I can see how something like that would fall through for many reasons. No one wants to be the shop that lost Face Off. And while you're dicking around on Face Off, you're business is not making money.

But this season has just been abysmal. If they want to do nothing but team challenges, they need to completely redo the teams every week. No more of this send one person from the winning team to the losing team when the numbers get too uneven. Declare a winner and a runner-up every week and make them team captains next week and pick their team one at a time.

At this point I'm just hate-watching this show to see how they break their own rules in an attempt to keep it interesting. The guy who owns his own shop is going to win.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Honestly, it's barely a team/shop thing anymore. At most, the past two episodes have been like 'hey our team's models will have coordinating outfits/ will all be holding bouquets'.

There may have been a way to make this season's concept interesting but the way T6 keeps bleeding members each challenge probably threw it off the rails. I'm kind of interested in the behind the scenes stuff for coming up with this season, like how they decided who would be placed initially on which team, and if they realized things would roll so ridiculously lop-sided.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm kind of interested in the behind the scenes stuff for coming up with this season, like how they decided who would be placed initially on which team, and if they realized things would roll so ridiculously lop-sided.

I had to go to Syfy's website 'cuz I can't remember any of these contestant's names worth a poo poo... I think at some point the thought process was that Alan (the old guy) would balance out Andrew (the guy who owns a shop). But then they cut Alan after the second challenge, and whelp! (Not that Alan really seemed as formidable as Andrew in the first place...)

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Let it be known that Suzanne's clockwork thing was such a train wreck that she went home over someone who had no prosthetics on their model

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wow, this week it's like Phil got possessed by a competent artist.

Andrew definitely deserved the win, his makeup was cool and he had time enough to spare to make that baby prop. I didn't really pay him much mind in the earlier episodes, but now that it's basically just individual challenges, it looks like him and Faina are the two to beat.

Suzanne and Kiersten though, jeez...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh drat it was awkward to watch Suzanne step up onto that podium for the judges' critique acting all pleased with herself, thinking that she'd hit a home run. I actually put my hands over my face and went noooooooo :ohdear:

Also I'm really fuckin' disappointed that they had a spotlight challenge inspired by Hellraiser and it wasn't a three day Cenobite challenge.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
This whole season has been kind of a wet fart. There's a couple standout artists but everyone has zero personality.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Suzanne's lady was the bizarre combination of a trainwreck but with a concept that probably could have got her top looks if she did it well. The stroke face and the plexiglass obscuring everything except the parts without makeup were... a choice. Props to her for finishing all that work in two days though :lol:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I love how this show just gives up on its own rules when it feels like it.

'Twisted Six you totally trashed the other team, but go home Phil.'

I spent so much of the season ragging on the guy but once they announced Kiersten was safe, he seemed like he knew it was coming. I actually found him pretty affable.

While I hope that they never try this type of season again, did any of artists actually get kicked off for doing a lousy job as the foreman?

E: I also said it early on this season, but I don't understand how judges make their decisions; sure Phil's face might not have evoked the infection as well as the other two, but he also sculpted Andrew's chest piece and a prop (I have no idea if they take past performance into consideration or if they just go 'eh gently caress it; that one goes home')

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 3, 2017

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

I love how this show just gives up on its own rules when it feels like it.

'Twisted Six you totally trashed the other team, but go home Phil.'

I spent so much of the season ragging on the guy but once they announced Kiersten was safe, he seemed like he knew it was coming. I actually found him pretty affable.

While I hope that they never try this type of season again, did any of artists actually get kicked off for doing a lousy job as the foreman?

E: I also said it early on this season, but I don't understand how judges make their decisions; sure Phil's face might not have evoked the infection as well as the other two, but he also sculpted Andrew's chest piece and a prop (I have no idea if they take past performance into consideration or if they just go 'eh gently caress it; that one goes home')

I think one of the main problems is that they were trying to get the best of both worlds in the aspect of a team competition vs an individual competition.

Like, ideally, I would have liked it where they got their theme and how many makeups they're creating, and it was up to the foreman to delegate what needs to be done and how many people should be doing what things. You want three people sculpting while two people fabricate and pre-paint? That's fine. You want mini teams for each character? That's fine too. It gives the shop to succeed or fail as a team based on how they delegated the task at hand.

Instead, we got the same as an individual challenge where half the contestants just so happen to be working together, but only one character is on them. Oh, you helped make something kickass for your team? Well, it wasn't on the character you were assigned, so that doesn't count.

Also, I think Nick was the only one who was sent home for being a lovely foreman. (Well, and destroying someone else's work.)

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Miz Kriss posted:

I think one of the main problems is that they were trying to get the best of both worlds in the aspect of a team competition vs an individual competition.

Like, ideally, I would have liked it where they got their theme and how many makeups they're creating, and it was up to the foreman to delegate what needs to be done and how many people should be doing what things. You want three people sculpting while two people fabricate and pre-paint? That's fine. You want mini teams for each character? That's fine too. It gives the shop to succeed or fail as a team based on how they delegated the task at hand.

Instead, we got the same as an individual challenge where half the contestants just so happen to be working together, but only one character is on them. Oh, you helped make something kickass for your team? Well, it wasn't on the character you were assigned, so that doesn't count.

Also, I think Nick was the only one who was sent home for being a lovely foreman. (Well, and destroying someone else's work.)

If they ever tried some sort of team thing again, the only thing I think might be more 'manageable' would be some sort of remix of how they did All-Stars' pairs. Like, say you get to pick one or two teammates depending on the challenge. The top look is safe, but the teams don't carry over from episode to episode. So say we have a team consisting of A and B. They win a challenge, and the next week they get to pick their teammate first, but it can't be each other. So A can pick C or D as their partner the next ep. If done in a non-stupid way, I think that sort of format could work, adding a strategic element to it. So, if they have to make I dunno, succubi for a challenge, does A want to pick C who is better at beauty-makeup and detail work to partner with, or D whose paint skills might not be so sharp, but he can sculpt and fabricate like a madman?

It could just be editing/length, but I agree with what you said about 'not on your guy, doesn't count'. At least last season they'd ask the squads 'yeah, hey so who worked on what?'. This season it seemed to drop off when it devolved into 'individuals but on a team'.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well there were no surprises with the first 2 people to get into the final even though Andrew pretty much just made a female version of Kit Fisto from the Star War prequels. Nelson's makeup looked like a Halloween mask and I was really surprised that the judges were all "Well at least the actor can open his mouth!" instead of pointing it out. I'm surprised that KC's space turkey made it through but on the other hand Faina's makeup wasn't amazing either.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 9, 2017

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I like that Andrew's makeup looked unintentially like an old age makeup too. :v:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Andrew and KC were definitely going into the finals unless something catastrophic happened to them; goofy space-turkey or not. While Kiersten's pant job looked really good, given how badly she's been bungling on several of the challenges (starfish head, spooky radio ghost with like zero prosthetics) I felt Faina would have overall been a stronger choice to have put into the finals.

Nelson was just... Nelson. Good at what he did, but he always just seemed like he was just 'there' during the whole season; chilling decidedly in the 'doesn't stand out, but doesn't screw up' range. I thought the paint job on his eyes was really good though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There was one point in this episode when Nelson was talking about how he was just going to make a "simple green alien" while he was sculpting a cowl that looked like a Shrek head which made me yell "NO YOU IDIOT" at the screen

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

There was one point in this episode when Nelson was talking about how he was just going to make a "simple green alien" while he was sculpting a cowl that looked like a Shrek head which made me yell "NO YOU IDIOT" at the screen

Glad I'm not the only one that starts going 'armchair effects artist' watching this show.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I kinda forgot that Nelson was still on the show, tbh. What a hell of a disaster to remind me that he was still there.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
ROYYYY!!!!! :neckbeard:

Goddamit Jill, this is why you got picked last

Oh boy, Roy really didn't want to be there and his fabrications mostly didn't work

The contestant are real lucky this is a 2 part finale, they sure as hell couldn't get their poo poo together this episode.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 16, 2017

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

I see they didn't allow the guy who messed with that ladies sculpture back, or maybe he refused to come back due to Glenn shaming him.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I see they didn't allow the guy who messed with that ladies sculpture back, or maybe he refused to come back due to Glenn shaming him.

I thought he was kicked off for that little stunt?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Beer_Suitcase posted:

The bottom few (I think # varies based on season) don't come back to help. Laura, Al and Nick, were the first three eliminated and didn't come up as optional squad mates.

Are finales usually two-part ordeals?

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 17, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any word if the show is coming back around for a 13th Season?

I can tell they're under constant budget slashage. From the fact they stepped back to 10 episodes (the last 6 seasons have been 14) to the fact all the stuff like immunity challenges that used to be fun (more for the cool stuff than the immunity) have been 100% eliminated from the show and all the 2-day challenges that they need to put multiple people on so the product isn't poo poo, it seems as if they loose a few more bucks every season.

Goddamit Jill, this is why you got picked last

The fact she has the voice of Bonnie from Family Guy doesn't help

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 17, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm not sure if regular Face Off is going away, but while I was watching, there was an ad for a 'new' show called Game Face. According to SyFy's website, it's going to be four different returning contestants in three elimination rounds every episode.

So it sounds like they're mashing together Face Off with Cosplay Melee's progressive elimination style.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
The finale seems to follow this season's trend of aggressive mediocrity!
I feel bad that KC's floater is better than that main imp thingamajig.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I actually liked that it was a haunt instead of yet another short film like previous seasons.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

The finale was apparently worthy of so little notice that my DVR didn't record it. :v: Did Andrew win?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Labes for days posted:

The finale was apparently worthy of so little notice that my DVR didn't record it. :v: Did Andrew win?

of course

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The people they brought in to act scared at the makeups weren't all that convincing, it was pretty embarrassing watching the judges pretending to be excited at the people pretending to be scared. :v:

Miz Kriss posted:

I actually liked that it was a haunt instead of yet another short film like previous seasons.

Yeah those short films always suuuuck.

But it was also pretty funny that the spooky crippled girl leading the customers from room to room was way creepier and better made than most of the contestants' final makeups.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

That devils horns were stupid. For a lady that "does horns" I thought they looked really terrible.

• Locked thread