Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"Well it was tough but we picked a winner"

Hahahah no it loving wasnt Cig kiiiiilled it. That dragon was perfect. the tiger needed a coating of tennis ball fuzz or something, it was too shiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They've been showing off the finale makeups in dorky mini-films for the last few finales and they're always an anti-climax, I wish they'd think of something else. It also limits what the contestants can do with their makeups which is lovely.
Half the makeups in this finale were just heads and maybe hands, they were practically Focus Challenge entries which really sucks when each contestant had three helpers but didn't have the chance to do large complex cowls or loads of props and accessories.

It'd be cool if they were two small companies competing to get a gig doing effects for an upcoming big budget Hollywood movie but I doubt that'll happen.

Yeah whoever got first pick had a MASSIVE advantage and Cig totally lucked out there. The teams who were left with a choice between snake & eagle or mantis & crane were really hosed in terms of giving their sculpts personality or expressiveness in a way that dragon and tiger weren't, especially since the instructions on what the characters had to look like were pretty restrictive. And it's not like there's not a ton of different martial arts styles based on different animals the producers could have chosen from.

Poor Emily had last pick and was stuck with crane and mantis. :whitewater:

It didn't help that they got CRANE and EAGLE and both teams decided "y'know, this design could use 99% more Turkey..." The Mantis was really well done, but both bird entries were hooooorrible

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Kind of unfair to tell stressed contestants that they are responsible for their entire team's performance. Then when one turns out to be a dud that can't take direction and goes off on their own that's just that.

You can't actually reign them in and change poo poo yourself you just have to verbally badger them and hope they do it? Like what if he just kicked her off the sculpt entirely and told her to do another task while he took over/completely redid her work? Would that have been different because he was actually switching team members tasks around instead of just taking the wheel for a while?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

They could have used them to make some pretty sweet mandibles/tusks, but alas... :sigh:

Yeah I was thinking Gluttony could have had giant tusks coming out the lower jaw but I'm curious if they would have been hard-line about horns being their own thing and tusks not fitting the challenge.

I could see Neville being a bit pedantic about it since he designed them specifically to be horns and probably already had some ideas floating around about what they could be connected to.

I really loved the stark white teeth on Gluttony, it was kinda cartoony but the colour palette made it look really cool.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 14, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey at least Glen Hetrick is having fun starring as the MC on Blood Drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well it was pretty inevitable that if they kept pushing the contestants into a corner they'd end up with a final round with two awful makeups and they'd have to give the win to the one that was least terrible. The "Harry Potter spell backfired" idea just didn't fit the format of the show, the contestants had no idea what to do and it really showed.

Great to see Robert and Alana again, Robert is always great value and it was so :3: seeing Alana totally fangirl over Rick Baker. :v:

The spell ideas just didn't work. Like if you're setting the potential choices in stone with the wand choices, you need to make sure there are prosthetics available to actually match the afflictions the wands will give you. Even the judges looked surprised when she found physical rope. If they have an ~hour to do the big deal-branded film-franchise-challenge loving hold their hands a little bit so things at least look good in the end.

Also lmao that you can just take a single prosthetic and say "yeah thats my face done in 10 mins, time to spend 50 mins painting" while other people have to cobble together 3+ things to make their design work.

if they're just rewarding the people who slap a single element on someones face and put time into their paint, and it won't be long until contestants figure that out and poo poo gets REAL weak, though that bug seashell face paint WAS really drat good this week.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 7, 2017

• Locked thread