Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Aw yeah, should be pretty great. Hopefully they thought really hard about the challenge topics as well because they were obviously starting to run out of good ideas in the last few seasons.

I don't recognise half the contestants but I guess season 1 was all of ..... (checks Wikipedia) ..... only six years ago? poo poo, my memory must be going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shneak posted:

I'm actually really stoked about this cast (seven runner-ups will be a bloodbath) except for Cat and Niko who I assume were a package deal.

Oh drat that's right, I forgot about that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ha ha ha, Nico and Kat are such a hot mess. I thought they'd annoy me but they ended up making me laugh.

DarklyDreaming posted:

EDIT: Totem poles painted by three-year-olds :allears: man I missed the sass.

It's so great to have competitors doing huge constructions again, especially when they overextend themselves and gently caress up really badly.

That was a great episode.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Niko and Cat went a long way towards winning me over this episode even though I didn't think their makeup was the best on the day. Still, I can see them falling apart in a big way if they hit a rough patch in a future challenge.

Jasmine and Stella's makeup was terrible and they really earned their dismissal. The subject matter wasn't even that tricky, I really can't figure out why they struggled so hard to pin down a concept. Maybe they just couldn't admit to themselves that they had any negative traits? Just pick one at random and lie about it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also I like the 2-person team thing. Keeps the pace up, and it means people are free to work with people and make every project a two-person job.

Yeah I think it was a great decision, especially after last season where my reaction to most of the 'finished' pieces was "That's it? That's all they did?"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I fuckin' love that George and Cig won this contest. When the topic was announced they really obviously hated everything about it:

... so they went "gently caress it, we can't get eliminated this episode, let's just have fun" and screwed around doing each other's makeup and poo poo and somehow ended up hitting it out of the park. And the contestants who were huge Monster High fans mostly screwed it up. :v:

Gotta say though, I think it was a lovely topic. Adapting characters which had pretty much human faces and only slight monstery elements was going to have mostly lackluster results however they cut it.

Shneak posted:

I don't know anything about Monster High but I'd like to have seen adaptions of other monsters (see: kaijus) and how bizarre that could look without a pre-designed doll.

Yeah I think that would have allowed them a lot more creative freedom so the results would have been more interesting overall.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Clamknuckle posted:

It really should have been a panel of teen girls. Those people were embarrassing.

I cannot wait to see what they come up with if they do another panel of 'superfans'.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Aw no, I'm actually a little sad to see Cat and Niko go even though their entry this week was inexcusably bland.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

smackfu posted:

SyFy is making another run at a cosplay show which seems like it has a lot of overlap with Face Off.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?utm_campaign=buffer&utm_source=twitter.com&v=cu2B9ythLjY&utm_medium=social&utm_content=bufferfacdd

That looks like it's going to be tons better than the previous reality TV cosplay series. The trailer was a bit weird in that it played up the judges but didn't showcase the contestants at all which might be a bad sign? I'll give it a shot in any case.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AndyElusive posted:

Why do 99% of the episodes in any given season involve some kind of mould drama? Either a mould won't open or there's some other issue with the mould.

Are moulds that unpredictable?

Latex and silicone are pretty forgiving so it doesn't make much difference to the end product if there's a few minor overhangs or wider points in the mold, but when you're initially pulling a mold off the sculpted clay it can cause it to lock up tight. Basically they make a minor gently caress up through inexperience or by cutting corners due to time constraints (sculpting a design which really needed a three piece mold or more, putting the seam of the mold in the wrong place) which sometimes makes it really difficult to open the mold without loving it up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Aw man, I have a soft spot for Ben and Evan because they're such dorky underdogs but I don't think they'll be around for much longer. They also put in an effort to wear dumb matching outfits at the judging every episode but that usually ends up more cringeworthy than endearing and the result in this episode was that they looked like complete idiots in front of John Landis.

Their matching t-shirts which have each other's faces on them is also pretty cringeworthy. If they weren't such sadsack losers I guess it would be cute?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
2nd chance at last looks was a really great idea, "To be continued" sucks.

I'm in two minds whether making second chance last looks happen more often or not would be a good thing. On the one hand the costumes often get hosed up in last looks or only needed a few extra minutes to really bring them together so the result would be better costumes more often, on the other hand you don't want to contestants to start relying on the idea of having extra time if the judges don't like their makeups because that would undercut a lot of the tension and drama.

Crazy Ted posted:

That...was...the...clumsiest product placement I have ever seen.

It was loving hilarious how awkward it was, especially all the contestants acting like they were impressed with the car and its features. "Ooh is it has a third door!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CommaToes posted:

I think the way that it didn't fit the concept is that she looked more monsterous and the wasteland aesthetic is humans in various state of hard living. The project was gorgeous but it wasn't human.

Yeah she looked great from a distance:

.... and a certain amount of body modification or mutation would be perfectly on topic but they pushed the non-human element slightly too much:

If they'd turned those horns into skin stretched over primitive cybernetic implants or something like that they may have gotten away with it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shneak posted:

I thought it was the headdress and wig getting that attribution but now that I see the facepiece and forehead crown design, yeah, fair enough. I guess Mad Max needs some more inspiring radiated mutants.

Giant headdresses are super popular in the post apocalyptic wasteland

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Stone marionette/puppet is such a dumb idea however you cut it, it's not like they could have done an actual serious take on that concept. So of course it was going to be wacky and dumb.
But that face was still really lovely.

Also holy gently caress but Ben and Evan suck all the fun out if this show whenever they're on screen, they just don't seem like they want to be there at all. I can't believe they said "Thank god it's not an elimination challenge" at the very start of the episode, god drat.

Giga Pet giveaway posted:

Did I miss the beginning or did they just 'the thing was resolved off-camera' end the previous cliffhanger with a single line in a talking head rather than telling us?

Rachael and Gage died on the way to their home planet.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AndyElusive posted:

The rock sailor marionettes stroke face was just the worst. I'm all for doofy but that wasn't whimsical or amusing at all.

I think my main issue with that face is that it would have been fine for a goofy rock troll that grew organically from natural stone formations but there's no way a stone mason would have carved something that lopsided and haphazard. The mission brief was to create something that looked like it was made by a stone mason and that face fell way outside the brief.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So Emily & Tyler and Cig & George have been taking turns at first place now for six episodes now and neither team has been in bottom looks yet. They're outclassing the other teams so much it's ridiculous.

Ben & Evan and Adam & Logan are basically facing off against each other to see who'll get to be the third wheel in the final and it really could go either way, they're both struggling at every element of the show. Not that it really matters which of those teams goes through, they're not really any threat. Ben & Evan had one good character this episode which put them into top looks which gives them a slight advantage but they could really easily stuff it up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The continuous flirting between George and guest judge Marcus Nispel was hilarious but also :3:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It was pretty hilarious how Adam jokingly screwed over his team to start with ("No I'll choose the map! Ha ha I took the map you didn't want!") which directly lead to them getting the less fun option which sucked all the wind out of their sails. Then everyone else came up with all the character ideas and he just bitched and whined about how he didn't like those ideas without suggesting anything else, then he made one change which elevated someone else's character but pretty much ruined the character he was working on and got him booted out.

Evan and Ben made a reeeeeally smart move when they realised it was a wacky horror challenge and immediately teamed up with Cig and George before anyone else could say anything. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Cosplay Melee show was also pretty good, it had pretty much the same tone as Face Off (contestants are friendly and supportive of each other, judges give good critiques) and the quality of the costumes was surprisingly good. I'm in for the rest of the season.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I'm really liking Cosplay Melee as well.

LadyPictureShow posted:

The one thing I'm not clear on, is the show self-contained every episode, or will they take the winners from each episode and later in the season have them compete?

I'm guessing that they aren't going to have playoffs between the winners to find a grand winner because I'm pretty sure they'd have been hyping that angle from the start if they were. From googling around it looks like they're only going to have 6 episodes in this season so maybe they'll expand the concept in future seasons.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm worried for Emily now though, if they drop super teams. She's a great painter but only a good molder (not exceptional) while Tyler is a great molder and, again, an acceptable painter. I think the reason their team has been dominating is they totally cover their weak spots perfectly and have the same taste in aesthetics.

Yeah, Emily and Tyler pretty much did solo work this episode and although Tyler covered all the bases Emily struggled with her sculpt which held her final result back. I think Evan will be the next to be eliminated but after that it'll really come down to whoever has an off day.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh drat, I was actually worried for George there. I don't usually get that invested in TV shows.
:ohdear:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AndyElusive posted:

Cosplay Melee is ok so far but I think I'm going to get pretty tired of the format pretty fast. Even when compared to Face/Off.

Every CM episode we're going to have to see the picture of the host being kissed by Norman Reedus to show how much of a super fan she is and we're going to have one of the contestants always say they recognize her from Community, for example.

But this poo poo is coming from someone who can't stand how Glenn Hetrick always says "Goooood Evening" when he's introduced and who notices when Mckenzie Westmore sounds slightly different when she delivers her lines, so whatever.

I'm getting really tired of them constantly trying to justify cosplaying and make the contestants talk about how important it is to their lives and how it empowers them. Like, I appreciate why they do it but I'm sick of it happening every episode.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LabyaMynora posted:

Missy Munster. She was a full-on juggalo. Still not as crazy as that Joe guy from season 3.

She's pretty crazy
http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/1093111/missy-stell-interview-face-off

quote:

"I'm not as bitter as I used to be. I was still pretty pissed that I got sent home for a makeup I didn't feel was the worst thing on that stage. I mean, there was a team that didn't even do the [expletive] challenge and they were safe... I really, really, really thought in my head that I could make it to the end. This is what I do day in and day out. There have been artists on previous seasons that don't [expletive] do this [expletive]. This is what I do every day. This is my career. I thought I was going to do good, but I guess not. In the end, it is reality TV and it's more of a popularity contest than what you actually do."

quote:

What does she really want the viewers to know about herself?

"That I'm not just some [expletive] dumbass that runs around in crazy clothes that doesn't know how to do anything. I dedicate my entire life to what I do. I'm a huge artist [in] every sense of the word. I'm into science. I'm into the occult. I'm a smart, intelligent person. I'm not just some [expletive] idiot that picked up a paintbrush and decided to call it my career. I'm extremely passionate about what I do.”
Entitled much?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeahhhhh my boys Cig and George kickin' rear end and taking names.

Also there was no way they were going to send Emily home, dunno why they even bothered with the DRAMATIC REVEAL at the end.

Johnny Longtorso posted:

Why do people keep violating the first rule of Face Off: "Never Do Lava"?

"... unless you're Anthony"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hipsters are usually aloof poseurs but Cig is the real deal. He genuinely loves sculpting goofy monsters, he's got a great work ethic, he's really talented and he seems to be a really nice open friendly guy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr Zaius posted:

And in Emily's defense, her god was literally the god of volcanoes and lava so there wasn't much choice there. It looked a lot better in the end than I expected given how loving bad it appeared when she was freaking out over the cowl.

I guess she could have made the lava effect look more specifically Hawaiian, there's a type of lava called pahoehoe which looks like long ropey strands of hair and there's even a pahoehoe formation in Hawaii called Pele's Braids. There's other lava phenomena which the Hawaiians call Pele's Hair and Pele's Tears which she could have included although they're not quite as visually interesting.
She also could have made the entire sculpt look more regal and godlike rather than making it look like a random D&D lava creature.

On the other hand they've had a few topics this season which were basically "Make a human figure, but not so" such as "Make a cursed witch" and "Make a god" where if the contestants didn't have a great idea immediately it was way too easy for them to flounder. I dunno what Logan was supposed to do with "God of Agriculture", I think any of the contestants would have struggled with that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Labes for days posted:

Cig mentioned in a Facebook post that they don't have internet access so I think it's unfair to say that Emily should have gone with specifically Hawaiian lava formations. That's not something the average non-Hawaiian is going to know about even if they're into mythology.

Huh, I could swear I've seen them browsing through a whole bunch of images on their ipads which looked suspiciously like they were doing a google image search.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Miz Kriss posted:

I loved George's happy dance in the interview clip that he was going to the finale.

That was the best. :3:

Labes for days posted:

I love George, but I was also surprised by that. I think Tyler's was just too generic, while George definitely had a Deconstructionist look to his face.

Same, I really surprised by that result. I was 100% certain that George had been hosed over by randomly selecting Deconstructivism which was a bitch rear end move to pull on a contestant in the semi-finals.

But on the other hand I would've said the same thing about Cubism but one of the best makeups they've ever had on the show was an FX interpretation of Cubism so :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This week's episode of Cosplay Melee was also goddamned hilarious for all the wrong reason. "Cats represent danger!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah, I had a preview with no audio, so I had no clue what the gently caress. By two make up companies, do they mean like, half the contestants get strictly Ben Nye, and half get strictly Kryolan or something?

Even the video on the SyFy youtube channel doesn't have audio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW1ZlpqVEu0

Pause it 5 - 6 seconds in for werewolf titties :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shneak posted:

That finale actually seemed anti-climactic to me. I expected it to be harder, and George may have lost for reasons beyond his control. I really wanted to see Emily finally win this one but Cig did deserve it. Props.

They've been showing off the finale makeups in dorky mini-films for the last few finales and they're always an anti-climax, I wish they'd think of something else. It also limits what the contestants can do with their makeups which is lovely.
Half the makeups in this finale were just heads and maybe hands, they were practically Focus Challenge entries which really sucks when each contestant had three helpers but didn't have the chance to do large complex cowls or loads of props and accessories.

Shneak posted:

Next season looks weird. Two makeup companies against each other?... why should we care?

It'd be cool if they were two small companies competing to get a gig doing effects for an upcoming big budget Hollywood movie but I doubt that'll happen.

Kung Food posted:

Cig was clearly the winner, but I can't help feel like he had easy mode because, c'mon Dragon and Tiger?" You almost would have to try to not make those look cool.

Yeah whoever got first pick had a MASSIVE advantage and Cig totally lucked out there. The teams who were left with a choice between snake & eagle or mantis & crane were really hosed in terms of giving their sculpts personality or expressiveness in a way that dragon and tiger weren't, especially since the instructions on what the characters had to look like were pretty restrictive. And it's not like there's not a ton of different martial arts styles based on different animals the producers could have chosen from.

Poor Emily had last pick and was stuck with crane and mantis. :whitewater:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bring back old gbs posted:

It didn't help that they got CRANE and EAGLE and both teams decided "y'know, this design could use 99% more Turkey..." The Mantis was really well done, but both bird entries were hooooorrible

Also Emily went "Wouldn't it be cool if the crane was really old and she pulled her excess skin up into a bun?" and no one talked her out of that. :wtc:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

https://twitter.com/cigneutron/status/840267478739574784

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay so the 'shops' are strangers randomly assigned to teams, that's a bit disappointing.

Also making them do a werewolf challenge straight off the bat was a risky move, good to see it wasn't a total trainwreck. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've been laughing about it since April

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW1ZlpqVEu0

Pause it 5 - 6 seconds in for werewolf titties :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

n3wt posted:

Space (the channel) didn't show the 'creators explain their work to the judges' part for the female werewolf and kept shots of the character's chest to blink and you'll miss it moments during the up-close viewing.

That's hilarious. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Nick did a lovely thing but on the other hand they've pretty much forced people who have never led a shop into that position so of course some of them are going to get stressed out about it and make dumb decisions. It's also disappointing that a show that usually goes out of its way to avoid reality TV 'drama' and forcing people to clash for fake theatrics has pulled this stunt where people will inevitably clash.

The whole "Move one guy to the other team to even things out" move was also bullshit. If you're not going to commit to the team gimmick then don't use it in the first place. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blazing Ownager posted:

You're missing why this is happening.

Long story short I think that Sci-Fi cut their filming and production time down for these rapid fire seasons. As a result there's a lot of 2-day challenges.

When they ran a normal competition the 2-day challenges were the loving worst. It's not enough time to make the things they wanted and they turned out like pure poo poo. So what I think they've done is started this whole team thing to burn all the 2-day slots with like 5 people working on 3 things, so the quality level can actually be decent. Then when the team gimmick burns out, they can do mostly 3-day slots for the artists.

I mean I can't blame them. The "focus challenges" they tried to do to get around this were dull at best, shittastic at worst. This is a much better format to get around the reduced schedule. I mean this is all just conjecture, but I would bet :10bux: on it.

They didn't need to set up teams for the entire season to do that, they've had plenty of episodes in the past where they've gone "For this challenge you'll be sorted into 2 teams"

• Locked thread