Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah Ethereal Effects are completely chumping Twisted Six, the 'shop v shop' season concept is backfiring really badly. :v:

I'm glad Jill got eliminated, she was just a drag on her entire team. Andrew and Kierstin are clearly going all the way to the final unless they have a really really bad day, the only question is who'll take the 3rd spot. I'm guessing maybe Faina or Joseph?
I didn't rate Andrew that highly at the start but that was probably because he looks like the lead singer in a Smash Mouth cover band. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I think the one plus in having people work in teams is that you don't get one person going "Derrrrrr I can't come up with an idea!!!" because no one is left on their own and they've got a team leader who's job is to get all up in their poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well that was a dull episode. 'Personifications of the Seasons' was a lovely topic and there's just no way it wasn't going to end with models with bits of plants stuck on top of their heads which is the most boring poo poo ever, especially since the models were going to dance so the contestants were pretty much confined to making cowls and a small amount of facial prosthetics which really restricted in their creativity. The only saving grace was that Joseph's makeup was such a hilarious trainwreck that it was somewhat interesting.

The whole team concept continues to be a complete farce with yet another person from the winningest team forced to join the losingest team and the whole episode ending in a draw anyway.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shneak posted:

Well then...

I have no idea what happened there. His Winter was absolutely terrible.

He pretty much got screwed, it's really hard to think of a depiction of Winter and stick to your team's theme when everyone else is doing foliage-based sculpts. The options are A) big chunks of ice (which the other team did) or B) some sort of Xmas scene (which is going to look dumb no matter what you do) or C) an old age makeup and call it Old Man Winter (which clearly didn't occur to him). He pretty much got talked into B by one of the other guys when he got stuck and you can tell his heart wasn't in it.

He was in pretty much the same situation as the guy last season who was stuck trying to portray the Hawaiian god of the harvest.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh drat it was awkward to watch Suzanne step up onto that podium for the judges' critique acting all pleased with herself, thinking that she'd hit a home run. I actually put my hands over my face and went noooooooo :ohdear:

Also I'm really fuckin' disappointed that they had a spotlight challenge inspired by Hellraiser and it wasn't a three day Cenobite challenge.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well there were no surprises with the first 2 people to get into the final even though Andrew pretty much just made a female version of Kit Fisto from the Star War prequels. Nelson's makeup looked like a Halloween mask and I was really surprised that the judges were all "Well at least the actor can open his mouth!" instead of pointing it out. I'm surprised that KC's space turkey made it through but on the other hand Faina's makeup wasn't amazing either.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 9, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There was one point in this episode when Nelson was talking about how he was just going to make a "simple green alien" while he was sculpting a cowl that looked like a Shrek head which made me yell "NO YOU IDIOT" at the screen

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
ROYYYY!!!!! :neckbeard:

Goddamit Jill, this is why you got picked last

Oh boy, Roy really didn't want to be there and his fabrications mostly didn't work

The contestant are real lucky this is a 2 part finale, they sure as hell couldn't get their poo poo together this episode.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 16, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The people they brought in to act scared at the makeups weren't all that convincing, it was pretty embarrassing watching the judges pretending to be excited at the people pretending to be scared. :v:

Miz Kriss posted:

I actually liked that it was a haunt instead of yet another short film like previous seasons.

Yeah those short films always suuuuck.

But it was also pretty funny that the spooky crippled girl leading the customers from room to room was way creepier and better made than most of the contestants' final makeups.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 24, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AndyElusive posted:

vagina face

AndyElusive posted:

the Face Off void

Hey no need to repeat yourself :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I like that Game Face ramped up a lot of the fun aspects of the show by placing crazy time restraints on the contestants (now they're always making crazy decisions because they're always running out of time!) but the time restraint aspect also sucked out the creative core of the show since it doesn't allow for sculpting/casting at all. It's been reduced to contestants sticking premade things on models' faces, trying to blend and paint them to make some kind of sense, covering them up with costumes/props and hoping the end result doesn't suck too much. A show where Roy is pretty much guaranteed to lose because his main thing is fabrication and the format doesn't give him enough time to manufacture anything decent is .... dumb. It's Flash Challenge: The Series when the flash challenges were always the weakest aspect of the original show.

Also Rick Baker is wasted on this show. :smith:

Maybe they'll change up the format in other episodes? :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 26, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also the format change where they have the three judges sitting there and commenting the entire time the contestants are working is weird and awkward but I guess they needed to wedge in some type of shop talk somewhere since the contestants are way too busy to interact with each other and we don't get the initial judging round where the judges walk down the line and privately discuss each of the makeups before talking to the contestants and asking "So what was the thinking here?"

It would've been awesome if they had Glenn Hetrick and Michael Westmore sitting on the sidelines cracking jokes like Statler and Waldorf. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Aw, I didn't realise how much I missed Tate but it was great to see him again. It's great to see that his career after Face Off has been so successful.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well it was pretty inevitable that if they kept pushing the contestants into a corner they'd end up with a final round with two awful makeups and they'd have to give the win to the one that was least terrible. The "Harry Potter spell backfired" idea just didn't fit the format of the show, the contestants had no idea what to do and it really showed.

Great to see Robert and Alana again, Robert is always great value and it was so :3: seeing Alana totally fangirl over Rick Baker. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So is anyone even watching this show any more?? :v:

The latest episode was a 'champions' challenge with 4 previous Face Off winners but the result was still pretty meh. They're still having to cobble together makeups from premade prosthetics so the contest pretty much comes down to a speed painting challenge which just isn't that interesting. Plus some of my favourite contestants like Cig and George just didn't adapt to this format and got eliminated immediately and that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blazing Ownager posted:

You should see how bad the newbies did in episode 7.

They put those noobs through the wringer, the poor guys. Even the veterans were struggling with this format but the new guys weren't cut any slack, they got tossed right in the deep end. :v:

It's interesting that they ran out of previous contestants already. Sucks for the new contestants that they only got to gently caress around in the studio for a day and compete for $10k instead of taking part in a full season with $100k on the line.

The yin/yang superhero/villain challenge was a nice idea except that superheroes generally look like regular handsome people which sucks for a prosthetics effects challenge show. Especially if you're a dumbass who doesn't know where a person's jawline is supposed to go. :v:

• Locked thread