Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I am really split on Ben and Evan this season. I mean, they're personable enough, but it seems like they really only come through when it's an elimination challenge (though their skeleton girl in the Monster High challenge was really good). It's a little 'here we go again' when they got Jekyll/Hyde and gold puppet that they were like 'we have NO ideas' and just kind of muddle through it.

I'm thinking Tyler and Emily are taking the whole thing, but it also seems like it can come down to luck of the draw with the topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

It probably sounds ridiculous, but I shouted 'yes!' and slapped my knee when they announced Adam. I thought he was the weaker of the Logan-Adam team.

The Circus Freak family was goddamn awesome.

TV jumped right to the Cosplay show. Anybody know if the teams stay the same next week and Tyler/Emily/Logan are down a man, or will there be some kind of reshuffling or going down to individuals now?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I assumed the drool was some kind of makeup effect, like how SFX artists make slime for creatures, but I dunno.

Missed about the first 20 mins last night, hahaha Adam totally hosed himself/screwed the team.

E: Evan still wearing the Ben shirt/all of them wearing shirts w/their own faces at elimination was both hilarious and sadsack.

I had a dream the other night related to this show. My boyfriend and I were on the show and our draw for the challenge was 'electric skeleton'. Pretty much all of it was 'how the gently caress have we not been eliminated yet?!'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 22, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dr Zaius posted:

I was hoping Evan would go home I really hate that loving brain hat.

I'm wondering if that stupid hat is like a good luck charm or something. It looks dumb, but c'mon, all of Team Sadsack's judging phase fashion choices were hilariously sad.

I was bummed to see Ben out this week, especially after he did such an amazing job on the hydrocephalus sculpt/makeup last week.

It seemed like the team sadsack curse still holds; Ben and Evan can nail it one week, but not the next. I kinda hope they split off the superteams and just go 'Logan and Evan, you're never gonna win, but have fun!'

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Cosplay Melee is more like Chopped. Four different contestants each episode; one gets cut after the first round, and after the second round they announce a winner.

The one thing I'm not clear on, is the show self-contained every episode, or will they take the winners from each episode and later in the season have them compete?

I like both Faceoff and CM, not only because it's interesting to see people make cool stuff, but a lot of the contestants seem really good-matured and helpful to one another. I haven't seen every season of Faceoff, did Syfy try to insert false drama on the show in early seasons? I feel like the most critical thing people have said about other contestants is like 'He spent too much time making a prop'

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My boyfriend asked me if any contestants from previous seasons ever didn't complete a look for a challenge? Not things like Ben covering the rat-witch hands with fingerless gloves or a not so stellar paint job, but like a catastrophic gently caress-up.

Nothing's coming to mind except that one guy from season 5(?) that threw a fit and left on the first episode.

I'm betting Evan, Logan, or Emily is getting the axe tonight. But at the same time, with Adam gone, Logan had a pretty good showing on his own last week.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Quisty posted:

Did anyone notice one of the contestants, Marty, on CM was a Goonette? I can't remember her SA forum name, but she did a huge thread a couple years ago about being a party princess at kid's parties.

AssassinPrincess.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I hadn't seen Cig and George before, and at the start of the season, I just immediately thought 'my God they look insufferable'.

But they showed me how wrong I was...

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I hope the grand prize they've been advertising the whole season has just been a ruse, and the actual prize is a lifetime supply of those Ben shirts.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Huh, I could swear I've seen them browsing through a whole bunch of images on their ipads which looked suspiciously like they were doing a google image search.

I'm thinking the tablets might have like a sort of limited/pre-loaded picture set.

https://popcultureuncovered.com/2017/04/12/face-off-how-could-you-be-so-ignorant-about-hawaiʻi/

After the guy in the article raged about 'do your googling!' Kassychoo (not sure which previous contestant that is) explains that reference photos/articles they can go come preloaded and are limited and specific to the challenge.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Finally saw the episode. Emily's was great all around, but I absolutely loved loved loved Cig's. Tyler did a good job too, but it didn't look Victorian, and the judges were right it looked super derivative of his past several weeks of challenges. George's head sculpt was great, but I did a little sympathy cringe for him every time they showed the full silhouette of the model on the reveal stage.

His little happy dance when he found out he was in the finals was completely :3: though.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Yay Cig! :toot: Great finale all around.

Though, now I just want a show where Cig and George hang out and... do stuff. Doesn't even have to be makeup related. Season one episode two: They go to PF Chang's because Cig got coupons for half priced appetizers. Special guest stars: Ben and Evan.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Is there a link to the preview of next season? My dvr cut it off, and it seems like two makeup companies will be competing? What?

Yeah, I had a preview with no audio, so I had no clue what the gently caress. By two make up companies, do they mean like, half the contestants get strictly Ben Nye, and half get strictly Kryolan or something?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Miz Kriss posted:

Is no one gonna acknowledge that someone thought giving a werewolf six boobies was a good idea? :psyduck:

I mean, I could roll with it from a whole 'mix of wolf/human attributes' (I honestly have zero clue how many teats canines have), but then again I don't recall how prominently they were sculpted. That 'white wolf team' (it'll take me a few weeks to keep names straight) Omega that got green hair eliminated was an absolute clunker. The whole makeup didn't look like a werewolf, it looked like a slightly confused dog.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

CommaToes posted:

Naw, I'd prefer if the one team kept losing people until it was 1 person vs 6 people and the judges were not fair to the one person. "You seemed to have some issues with time management."

Considering 'Twisted Six' aside from Nick seem kind of hopeless, by God I hope we see that. The thread title for this season ought to be 'FACE OFF: Goofus and Gallant edition'.

The queen termite was a bungle by the winning team, but if you're making wasp people, dear god don't give them bug eyes and also just leave their actual eyes there.

The worst I thought was the wasp drone; Neville said it looked more beak-like, but from the black mouth on yellow face, all I could think of was 'Holy poo poo, they made Bee Al Jolson'. The queen face matched with that amazing cowl Nick made really brought it down too.

Was a little bummed by the elimination though. I found Al rather charming. Plus, it seemed like such a poo poo reason. 'You guys need to do three makeups and a prop. Guy tasked with making the prop, you didn't do enough make up. Go home.'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 22, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Who was the foreperson on Joseph's team? Why didn't anyone tell him a frozen lump head wasn't the way to go?

I think it was KC. But at that point, he still had absolutely nothing planned so Twisted Six's newest transfer (I can never remember his name) tried to help him come up with something that wasn't just dicking around making snowflakes. If you're in such a creative hole that another team member has to Hail Mary a concept on the second day, things aren't looking good before the finished product.

The rose-head make up and Faina's autumn one were great.

Every week I'm surprised Phil doesn't get sent packing (those cowl seams were so glaring) but it's like his saving grace is somebody managing to bungle things worse than him every week.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Honestly, it's barely a team/shop thing anymore. At most, the past two episodes have been like 'hey our team's models will have coordinating outfits/ will all be holding bouquets'.

There may have been a way to make this season's concept interesting but the way T6 keeps bleeding members each challenge probably threw it off the rails. I'm kind of interested in the behind the scenes stuff for coming up with this season, like how they decided who would be placed initially on which team, and if they realized things would roll so ridiculously lop-sided.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wow, this week it's like Phil got possessed by a competent artist.

Andrew definitely deserved the win, his makeup was cool and he had time enough to spare to make that baby prop. I didn't really pay him much mind in the earlier episodes, but now that it's basically just individual challenges, it looks like him and Faina are the two to beat.

Suzanne and Kiersten though, jeez...

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I love how this show just gives up on its own rules when it feels like it.

'Twisted Six you totally trashed the other team, but go home Phil.'

I spent so much of the season ragging on the guy but once they announced Kiersten was safe, he seemed like he knew it was coming. I actually found him pretty affable.

While I hope that they never try this type of season again, did any of artists actually get kicked off for doing a lousy job as the foreman?

E: I also said it early on this season, but I don't understand how judges make their decisions; sure Phil's face might not have evoked the infection as well as the other two, but he also sculpted Andrew's chest piece and a prop (I have no idea if they take past performance into consideration or if they just go 'eh gently caress it; that one goes home')

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 3, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Miz Kriss posted:

I think one of the main problems is that they were trying to get the best of both worlds in the aspect of a team competition vs an individual competition.

Like, ideally, I would have liked it where they got their theme and how many makeups they're creating, and it was up to the foreman to delegate what needs to be done and how many people should be doing what things. You want three people sculpting while two people fabricate and pre-paint? That's fine. You want mini teams for each character? That's fine too. It gives the shop to succeed or fail as a team based on how they delegated the task at hand.

Instead, we got the same as an individual challenge where half the contestants just so happen to be working together, but only one character is on them. Oh, you helped make something kickass for your team? Well, it wasn't on the character you were assigned, so that doesn't count.

Also, I think Nick was the only one who was sent home for being a lovely foreman. (Well, and destroying someone else's work.)

If they ever tried some sort of team thing again, the only thing I think might be more 'manageable' would be some sort of remix of how they did All-Stars' pairs. Like, say you get to pick one or two teammates depending on the challenge. The top look is safe, but the teams don't carry over from episode to episode. So say we have a team consisting of A and B. They win a challenge, and the next week they get to pick their teammate first, but it can't be each other. So A can pick C or D as their partner the next ep. If done in a non-stupid way, I think that sort of format could work, adding a strategic element to it. So, if they have to make I dunno, succubi for a challenge, does A want to pick C who is better at beauty-makeup and detail work to partner with, or D whose paint skills might not be so sharp, but he can sculpt and fabricate like a madman?

It could just be editing/length, but I agree with what you said about 'not on your guy, doesn't count'. At least last season they'd ask the squads 'yeah, hey so who worked on what?'. This season it seemed to drop off when it devolved into 'individuals but on a team'.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Andrew and KC were definitely going into the finals unless something catastrophic happened to them; goofy space-turkey or not. While Kiersten's pant job looked really good, given how badly she's been bungling on several of the challenges (starfish head, spooky radio ghost with like zero prosthetics) I felt Faina would have overall been a stronger choice to have put into the finals.

Nelson was just... Nelson. Good at what he did, but he always just seemed like he was just 'there' during the whole season; chilling decidedly in the 'doesn't stand out, but doesn't screw up' range. I thought the paint job on his eyes was really good though.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was one point in this episode when Nelson was talking about how he was just going to make a "simple green alien" while he was sculpting a cowl that looked like a Shrek head which made me yell "NO YOU IDIOT" at the screen

Glad I'm not the only one that starts going 'armchair effects artist' watching this show.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I see they didn't allow the guy who messed with that ladies sculpture back, or maybe he refused to come back due to Glenn shaming him.

The bottom few (I think # varies based on season) don't come back to help. Laura, Al and Nick, were the first three eliminated and didn't come up as optional squad mates.

Are finales usually two-part ordeals?

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm not sure if regular Face Off is going away, but while I was watching, there was an ad for a 'new' show called Game Face. According to SyFy's website, it's going to be four different returning contestants in three elimination rounds every episode.

So it sounds like they're mashing together Face Off with Cosplay Melee's progressive elimination style.

• Locked thread