Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Aw yeah, the Good Time Fun Time Makeup And Crafting Show For Best Pals is back! And they built in an official friends feature this time around! I love it. I want everyone to win.

Glad to see Tyler, George, Emily, Logan, and Mel back for sure. The only person I can't really recall is Gage but that was Season 1 so I'll give myself a pass.

Green screen was cool, but slightly gimmicky. Still, interesting to allow for some technological evolution in the challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Shneak posted:

Jasmine and Stella deserved to go.

Agree, and it was telegraphed hard. Logan got 1 confessional so it was obvious it wasn't going to be him.

Hef Deezy posted:

I thought Emily and Tyler's was gorgeous and one of the best makeups I've ever seen on this show. But I guess if they're going by whose makeup more recognizably hit the theme, Niko's and Cat's was a good choice.

Still, though, that fuckin' corroded head detail on Emily/Tyler's...

Same, agree 100%. The corrosion effect was unbelievable. However, Niko's wings may be the first time ever that open wings have been done well on this show. I know it's fabrication not makeup but I don't care, someone finally pulled it off, it is possible, and it was amazing.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Not one of the panelists talked about form language. I am disappoint :(

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Shneak posted:

Let's just pencil in Emily and Tyler for the finale goddamn

For real. THAT was an All-Stars makeup.

Miz Kriss posted:

I had forgotten just how well Adam can fabricate when he's on the ball. That armor looked stunning.

Same, I thought it started out looking jank and even when he explained it I didn't get it. Then the model came out on stage and I was like "ohhhhh".

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Shneak posted:

Second week where Adam fabricates a needlessly huge accessory that looks awesome, but needs texture work. They look so obviously hollow and plastic.

Too bad they had to scrap the shoulder, as it was it was just big forearm + claws on a tiny bicep which was weird.

Crazy Ted posted:

Just give Emily (and of course Tyler) the trophy. And my heart. Good lord she's adorable.

Yepppppp. Everyone else is playing for 2nd place.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Shneak posted:

I like how the judges threw Emily and Tyler under the bus to make it look like they didn't dominate another week. How it didn't fit the concept is beyond me.

Either that or another Anthony situation where he rolls through no contest.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Giga Pet giveaway posted:

Did I miss the beginning or did they just 'the thing was resolved off-camera' end the previous cliffhanger with a single line in a talking head rather than telling us?

Resolving last week was the first 5m22s of the episode....

Shneak posted:

Emily shaving and painting cotton onto the face is an insane technique. That's a texture I cannot even describe let alone create and apply myself.

Oh man for real, as she was explaining "I thought this needed more but I've never seen anyone do it, so I invented my own technique" I was like :aaa: Really amazing, and I'm glad the judges recognized. "What, did you just make that up!?" "YEAH SHE DID :D" "Unbelieveable!" sums it all up.

THAT SAID, I do think Cig & George could have won this week due to the AWESOME leather texturing in their face. It was really, really, REALLY good. Plus the wise decisions on not going too goofy and ruining it. Knowing what not to do is half the battle.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also holy gently caress but Ben and Evan suck all the fun out if this show whenever they're on screen, they just don't seem like they want to be there at all. I can't believe they said "Thank god it's not an elimination challenge" at the very start of the episode, god drat.

Yeah, they need some serious design clarity that I don't think is going to happen for them.

Also slightly disappointing me is Logan, I remember him as energetic and creative in his season, but he seems really passive this time, not sure why. Maybe he feels cramped working with hyperactive Adam?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

CommaToes posted:

I have only really watched this season.

Any recommendations on previous seasons that were fun and good?

They're all fun & good (except possibly season one which I do not clearly recall). Glancing at wikipedia, seasons 4, 5, and 6 are probably worthwhile. Season 3 was also Laura's first appearance, and Season 8 was Emily's first appearance. Season 7 was when Lois Burwell judged.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

It's basically been the story that the judges really don't critique the finale makeups on camera, the just give varying degrees of praise then pick a winner. It was a good final 3, and Cig clearly had the best pick, but he still crushed it & so the win was well earned.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I'm okay with the format change because I don't mind the producers trying to keep it fresh after 11 seasons, as long as it doesn't impact the core of the show. I'll definitely like it if it means we get fewer makeups that are better, instead of 20 barely completed similar things.

Also, don't come on this show if you cant anatomy at least a little bit lol

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Moving a guy between teams is dumb. They needed to scramble the teams. Best way to do that for ~drama~ is have the most recent 2 winners be temporary team captains, then school yard picks the rest of the people. Now there are new teams and no individual has to be jerked around.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I half think "obliterating another artist's work" is probably straight up against the show rules and they just handled it like that instead of disqualifying him between episodes.

This seems likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Gluttony could have gone either way with that idea, but it ended up looking pretty cool, and I don't think the face sculpt go the attention it deserved.

This season is kind of a bust, but not really because the team stuff as much as the cast. There's a couple decent artists, but would things really be so much better if everyone was doing their own disconnected demon instead of having to use a team theme? No.

• Locked thread