Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Kirios posted:

Ugh...what a bust of a free agent.

Still, it's a price worth paying if it lands them Romo.

As if. It'll be more like another year of wasting Watt and Clowney's primes on Tom Savage (or maybe Kirk Cousins if we're lucky) as Rick Smith completes pushing Bill O'Brien out the door and readies another top five pick with which to strangle the next sucker that thinks he can push the Texans over the top.

Which is still better than what another year of B-Rock the Contractual Shock would be though.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It saves us $10m on this year's cap and now we don't have to eat $6m in dead money next offseason, if nothing else making it easier to sign Clowney and Nuk so it's worth it regardless

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Metapod posted:

is cyprien good jag fans?
No. He was mediocre this year when the talent around him was better but knowing the Jaguars he will be a superstar for you guys.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Metapod posted:

is cyprien good jag fans?

Well if you like safeties that struggle against the run and pass he's your man

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
If the Jags let someone they drafted go it 99% of the time means they are poo poo.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Also if they keep them

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Intruder posted:

Also if they keep them

Fred Taylor. :colbert:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
can we take a moment to honor afc south legend Brock

:rip:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Brock Osweiler is literally the AFCS's worst starting QB in history

This is a division that has seen Curtis Painter and Rusty Smith

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This post is quaint and funny now that the Patriots apparently want minimum two firsts for him

e:

https://twitter.com/abc13houston/status/839972513450979328

I know people like to say "Imagine being paid $36 million to be bad at your job" but it's really more along the lines of "Imagine being in the top 50 or so people in the world at a job that pays tens of millions and failing to move into the top 25"

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 10, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
WE HAVE A CORNER YOU ARE ALL DOOMED

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Intruder posted:

Brock Osweiler is literally the AFCS's worst starting QB in history

This is a division that has seen Curtis Painter and Rusty Smith

Don't forget the lesser McCown.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

purkey posted:

Don't forget the lesser McCown.

Honestly not sure which one that is.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Metapod posted:

WE HAVE A CORNER YOU ARE ALL DOOMED

Where do we go with our two top picks now? Getting a top receiver is still needed, but I'm guessing we'll be able to trade the lower one for Cooks...

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Big Jesus posted:

Where do we go with our two top picks now? Getting a top receiver is still needed, but I'm guessing we'll be able to trade the lower one for Cooks...

If we trade the #18 for Cooks I think we go best CB with the first pick. If they don't trade I see them going CB and then either WR/TE with #18.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Flikken posted:

Honestly not sure which one that is.

Luke.

Josh can occasionally put together strings of two or three games where he looks competent.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Intruder posted:

I know people like to say "Imagine being paid $36 million to be bad at your job" but it's really more along the lines of "Imagine being in the top 50 or so people in the world at a job that pays tens of millions and failing to move into the top 25"

His job wasn't to be a backup QB, it was to be a starting QB in the NFL. In that sense, he's bad at his job, even though he was good at lower-level positions along the way.

It's the Dilbert principle in action really

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Overrating back ups will always be a thing, although I have a soft spot for journeyman back ups, who drift from team to team as the second string guy, until you realize they've been in the league like 12 years and poo poo.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

His job wasn't to be a backup QB, it was to be a starting QB in the NFL. In that sense, he's bad at his job, even though he was good at lower-level positions along the way.

It's the Dilbert principle in action really

Farewell Brock, professional starting QB for the Houston Texans

3/9/2016-3/9/2017

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Honestly that's not even the problem with Brock. I was much more upset with the ones where he biffed an easy, wide open throw like this (go to 22 seconds if the vid won't play):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzE6757Nsg4&t=22s

For a guy whose biggest attribute is "tall" the motherfucker cannot see anything

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 10, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Intruder posted:

Farewell Brock, professional starting QB for the Houston Texans

3/9/2016-3/9/2017

this is one of the greatest plays in league history

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Metapod posted:

this is one of the greatest plays in league history

It's even better than the Bortles ricochet off his receiver's foot play because it was run in for a touchdown

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Quiet Feet posted:

Luke.

Josh can occasionally put together strings of two or three games where he looks competent.

Apparently only against the Ravens.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Crossposting from the FA thread

quote:

So when did the Texans decide it was time to move on from quarterback Brock Osweiler despite a contract that pays $16 million guaranteed in 2017? The decision was made in the aftermath of an incident that occurred on the first day of the calendar year.

January 1. Texans at Titans. Backup-turned-starter Tom Savage took a hit on a quarterback sneak during the first play of the second quarter and was removed for a concussion evaluation. Starter-turned-backup Brock Osweiler entered the game.

Confusion emerged during the second quarter as to whether Savage had been cleared to return to action. At halftime, Savage got the news: He was being shut down for the day.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Savage became very upset, knocking things around in the locker room and otherwise making a ruckus about having his status jeopardized by a doctor’s decision to keep him from playing. At or about the same time, coach Bill O’Brien informed Osweiler that he’d be finishing the game.

Osweiler, per the source, reacted negatively, telling O’Brien in the visiting coach’s office at Nissan Stadium in Nashville that he’s only playing Osweiler because O’Brien needs him. [Editor’s note: That’s sort of how football depth charts work.] An argument ensued, voices were raised. At one point, it’s believed that Osweiler got up to walk away and O’Brien threw out an arm to stop him. That prompted Osweiler to act as if he were being “held hostage,” a claim that he would repeat (per the source) in the days after the game.

And that was that for Osweiler in Houston. Following that incident, the team was determined to find a way to move on from him.

Rumors of an incident of some sort had been percolating for weeks. Both O’Brien and Osweiler downplayed talk of a loud argument in the days after the game. Following the hot potato trade that sent Osweiler and a second-round pick to Cleveland, former NFL defensive back Bryant McFadden said in an appearance on 120 Sports that Osweiler and O’Brien had a “physical confrontation that got ugly.”

“It was physical,” McFadden said. “It was physical. The players and coaches had to restrain O’Brien and Brock.”

Both the Texans and Osweiler’s agent, Jimmy Sexton, declined to comment on McFadden’s claims. Based on the information PFT has obtained, it seems that the incident was mildly physical at worst.

Consider it objectively. Osweiler is six-seven, and he was wearing full pads. O’Brien is considerably shorter than that and, unlike the conventional game-day attire in baseball, was not wearing pads and a uniform.

Whatever did (or didn’t) happen between the two of them, Osweiler’s perceived overreaction to the incident was, we’re told, the moment the Texans decided to move on from Osweiler.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/12/week-17-altercation-was-last-straw-for-texans-and-osweiler/

lol if true but with the Florio caveat

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

So I guess the Jags plan is just death to the run game in general

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

purkey posted:

So I guess the Jags plan is just death to the run game in general
Thats what I was saying in another thread. No help for the line or the running back position in FA at all. I mean yeah I'd like to see what Corey Grant and Yeldon can do, but the team needs to put an OLine in front of them.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thats what I was saying in another thread. No help for the line or the running back position in FA at all. I mean yeah I'd like to see what Corey Grant and Yeldon can do, but the team needs to put an OLine in front of them.

gently caress it. Defense all the way to 6 wins.

I am wondering if they are going to take Fournette though

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

purkey posted:

gently caress it. Defense all the way to 6 wins.

I am wondering if they are going to take Fournette though
I sure as gently caress hope not because he'll suck behind the abomination of an OL that the Jaguars currently have. Old and Broken Branden Albert, ???, Linder (:swoon:), ???, regressing Jermey Parnell. The guards are one of AJ Cann, Patrick Omameh, and Tyler Shatley. "Oh mommeh cann I shat my pants".

It is a total trashfire, probably bottom 5 with only the Seahawks being definitely worse.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 13, 2017

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I sure as gently caress hope not because he'll suck behind the abomination of an OL that the Jaguars currently have. Old and Broken Branden Albert, ???, Linder, ???, regressing Jermey Parnell. It is a total trashfire, probably bottom 5 with only the Seahawks being definitely worse.

Yeah, that line is gonna be hilarious

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
I think interior o-line is pretty deep in the draft this year and TE, another area of need, looks decent as well.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cactus Jack posted:

I think interior o-line is pretty deep in the draft this year and TE, another area of need, looks decent as well.
In that case I hope pick one is Solomon Thomas (I've been in love with him ever since I saw him single-handedly dismantle UNC at the end of last season) and every pick after that is OL. Every single one. The gooniest draft.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Thinking about Brock still makes me laugh since he seems like a super jerkwad. To bad he is rich I hope he gets swindled or better yet the Browns start him.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Elephanthead posted:

Thinking about Brock still makes me laugh since he seems like a super jerkwad. To bad he is rich I hope he gets swindled or better yet the Browns start him.
Same, but according to some infograph that someone posted about his Texans tenure, he got paid more per day to be a Houston Texan than I get paid in a year so gently caress 'im.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Taylor Lewan did nothing wrong

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Romowatch continues on

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Texans got rid of Brock, then forgot to complete their To Do List apparently.

The do know Free Agency is open right?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Athanatos posted:

My bet is on that they cleared cap space for Romo because they heard he was going to be released. Then Dallas held onto him because the Texans all of a sudden had a ton of open cap space and Jerruh doesnt want Romo to stay in Texas.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Athanatos posted:

Getting rid of Brock is still a net positive even if they do nothing else I maintain

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Minimum you carry cap forward for Clowney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
and the rest of the AFC South silently is grateful, but is also sad because the Texans were the one chance for the Division to be relevant again.

• Locked thread