Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

enki42 posted:

Cool, why don't you show me an example of Nazis cowering in fear as a result of this punch, because last time I checked Richard Spencer was still posting / giving interviews / etc.

Sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

enki42 posted:

Cool, why don't you show me an example of Nazis cowering in fear as a result of this punch, because last time I checked Richard Spencer was still posting / giving interviews / etc.

https://twitter.com/jonnywaistcoat/status/825521837828403200/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Cerebral Bore posted:

World War 2. Now you can explain to me your preferred way of dealing with nazis and why it's effective.

Two militaries at war isn't even vaguely comparable to people sucker punching non-state actor Nazis. It's not just scale, it's different in kind.

I think this is a misinterpretation of what this video is about and the effect the punch had. Quote from the video:

quote:

I didn't take them seriously. Well, I take them seriously now. Needless to say, I'm not giving up (...) I need to take this a lot more seriously and the alt-right needs to take this more seriously. This is not fun and games anymore.

Truly the words of a man cowering in fear.

This I can kind of see though, obviously punching Richard Spencer did diminish the alt-right in the eyes of the public. I still think it's a bit isolated, and this punch was more effective due to his leadership position, and because it's pretty obviously black and white, but yeah, good point.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I said this before, but you'd think real nazis would carry at least a knife in the event of encountering antifa.

He's a nazi cosplaying loser internet troll, not a nazi. Dont give him the noteriety.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

enki42 posted:

Two militaries at war isn't even vaguely comparable to people sucker punching non-state actor Nazis. It's not just scale, it's different in kind.

You asked for an example and you got one. Now you're desperately moving the goalposts.

So to repeat myself, describe your preferred method for handling nazis and explain why it's effective.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Cerebral Bore posted:

You asked for an example and you got one. Now you're desperately moving the goalposts.

So to repeat myself, describe your preferred method for handling nazis and explain why it's effective.

I've been over this in the thread countless times, but again for good measure - there's countless ways to conduct non-violent, direct action in protest. I'm going to an event to shut down access to a U.S. consulate today. On Saturday I'm attending a rally against Isamophobia and calling on the Canadian government to modify laws to allow all the people you're turning back to come here instead. Both are non-violent, but direct action is accepted (in the first case it's the entire point).

For more examples, open the web page of literally any news organization and see how their total and complete focus is highlighting the (almost entirely?) non-violent protests that are erupting across your country over the weekend and today.

To be fair, all of these are examples of protesting the Trump administration and not Richard Spencer or the alt-right specifically. Personally, I think focusing on people with actual power who are currently enacting racist policies is more important than punching the guy who makes racist frog pictures, but that's just me.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

enki42 posted:

I've been over this in the thread countless times, but again for good measure - there's countless ways to conduct non-violent, direct action in protest. I'm going to an event to shut down access to a U.S. consulate today. On Saturday I'm attending a rally against Isamophobia and calling on the Canadian government to modify laws to allow all the people you're turning back to come here instead. Both are non-violent, but direct action is accepted (in the first case it's the entire point).

For more examples, open the web page of literally any news organization and see how their total and complete focus is highlighting the (almost entirely?) non-violent protests that are erupting across your country over the weekend and today.

To be fair, all of these are examples of protesting the Trump administration and not Richard Spencer or the alt-right specifically. Personally, I think focusing on people with actual power who are currently enacting racist policies is more important than punching the guy who makes racist frog pictures, but that's just me.

Now you're shifting your own goalposts. We're not talking about Trump right now, we're talking about nazis. Explain exactly how your actions would be effective when it comes to resisting nazis.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Cerebral Bore posted:

Now you're shifting your own goalposts. We're not talking about Trump right now, we're talking about nazis. Explain exactly how your actions would be effective when it comes to resisting nazis.

Wait I thought the reason this was so serious and it's so important to punch Nazis is because they're gaining / have power. I do think Bannon is a white supremacist (if you want to use the word nazi, whatever, fine, the point is he is one), and protesting what he's doing is more important than protesting Nazis that currently do not have power.

Why do you think that resisting policies that ban / deport a group of people based on their ethnicity is not about resisting Nazis?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

enki42 posted:

Wait I thought the reason this was so serious and it's so important to punch Nazis is because they're gaining / have power. I do think Bannon is a white supremacist (if you want to use the word nazi, whatever, fine, the point is he is one), and protesting what he's doing is more important than protesting Nazis that currently do not have power.

Why do you think that resisting policies that ban / deport a group of people based on their ethnicity is not about resisting Nazis?

You don't get to ask me questions while you're refusing to answer mine in an honest manner. So once again, please explain exactly how your actions are effective.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

if that man is actually owned and a corncob then why does he keep shrieking that he isnt owned??? riddle me that!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I said this before, but you'd think real nazis would carry at least a knife in the event of encountering antifa.

He's a nazi cosplaying loser internet troll, not a nazi. Dont give him the noteriety.

If he weren't being covered by the NYT and getting mainstream news interviews then maybe you would have a point, maybe. However, that isn't the world we live in.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Cerebral Bore posted:

You don't get to ask me questions while you're refusing to answer mine in an honest manner. So once again, please explain exactly how your actions are effective.

Look at the front page of any major news organization today. Read your social media feeds. A wave of non-violent protest captured the attention of the media and the public at large, and cracks are starting to show in the administration's armor. I'm not saying mission accomplished or anything, but sustained direct action over the coming months has a real chance to turn the public's opinion so far against Trump that even getting him out of the white house is possible.

Regular people are posting about the women's march, the protests this weekend, and upcoming protests way more than they posted about Richard Spencer getting punched. Meanwhile, Trump's approval rating is tanking (which I get is not wholly due to protest, but I think it does have a significant effect)

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Real tough question. Possibly maybe make one douchebag whine on twitter (and if you don't think his first tweet wasn't a "Arm yourselves" holy gently caress are you naive) then jerk off over it or support things like The ACLU getting the muslim ban overturned or Southern Poverty Law Center trying to keep poor people who can't afford bail out of jail?

Tough call over which method has an actual effect.

Also love the "You can't ever change their minds" being screamed by a bunch of people who refuse to change their mind.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Toasticle posted:

Real tough question. Possibly maybe make one douchebag whine on twitter (and if you don't think his first tweet wasn't a "Arm yourselves" holy gently caress are you naive) then jerk off over it or support things like The ACLU getting the muslim ban overturned or Southern Poverty Law Center trying to keep poor people who can't afford bail out of jail?

Tough call over which method has an actual effect.

Also love the "You can't ever change their minds" being screamed by a bunch of people who refuse to change their mind.

did you know that human beings are literally only capable of doing one thing at once?

-the smart reasonable person who just put on their big kid pants

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Toasticle posted:

Whoa you're right, maybe we should give this ethnic cleansing and genocide thing a chance. Who knows it might not actually be bad? :shrug:

ps I agree, it would never have occurred to white power genocide advocates to consider arming themselves ... UNTIL NOW darn it :smith:

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Flesh Forge posted:

ps I agree, it would never have occurred to white power genocide advocates to consider arming themselves ... UNTIL NOW darn it :smith:

It's not much better if it serves as a convenient excuse for them to arm themselves.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hmm yes I cannot imagine another scenario where highly organized white power dudes who actively work to bring about racial conflict would have touched a gun.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Flesh Forge posted:

Hmm yes I cannot imagine another scenario where highly organized white power dudes who actively work to bring about racial conflict would have touched a gun.

Sure but in both scenarios violence didn't help

Scenario 1: Nazis are idiots and haven't heard that guns can be used for violence
1. Someone punches a Nazi.
2. Nazi learns about guns and arms himself.

Result: Nazis with guns and a plausible case for self defence.

Scenario 2: Nazis have heard of guns
1. Someone punches a Nazi
2. Nazi posts video saying "ah bloo bloo mean antifas punched me I need guns now"

Result: Nazis with guns and a plausible case for self defence.

Scenario 3: Nazis have heard of guns, no punching occurs
1. No one punches a Nazi
2. Nazi arms himself anyway

Result: Nazis with guns, but people say "holy gently caress why do you have guns?"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Nazis already have guns, who's asking "holy gently caress why do you have guns?"

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Nazis already have guns, who's asking "holy gently caress why do you have guns?"

Non-nazi people.

Obviously it isn't as black and white as that. My point is, when violence is escalating from both sides, it's normalized, and Nazis showing up armed, brandishing, etc. seems less insane. When violence is met with non-violent direct action, the non-violent side maintains the moral high ground and highlights the extremes of the other side.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

enki42 posted:

Non-nazi people.

Obviously it isn't as black and white as that. My point is, when violence is escalating from both sides, it's normalized, and Nazis showing up armed, brandishing, etc. seems less insane. When violence is met with non-violent direct action, the non-violent side maintains the moral high ground and highlights the extremes of the other side.

And get stabbed and shot. You realise that right?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd rather not get killed than have someone say "oh it's terrible what happened to that Zanz guy"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

enki42 posted:

Look at the front page of any major news organization today. Read your social media feeds. A wave of non-violent protest captured the attention of the media and the public at large, and cracks are starting to show in the administration's armor. I'm not saying mission accomplished or anything, but sustained direct action over the coming months has a real chance to turn the public's opinion so far against Trump that even getting him out of the white house is possible.

Regular people are posting about the women's march, the protests this weekend, and upcoming protests way more than they posted about Richard Spencer getting punched. Meanwhile, Trump's approval rating is tanking (which I get is not wholly due to protest, but I think it does have a significant effect)

So by your own argument you have, at best, managed to generate headlines, much like the guy who punched the nazi. The rest is speculation.

You keep making these assertions of superiority, but the utter lack of even trying to construct an argument as for why your way is superior betrays that you don't even have a well-defined definition of what you mean by efficiency in this case beyond "this is what I like, therefore it must be more efficient".

enki42 posted:

It's not much better if it serves as a convenient excuse for them to arm themselves.

You buncha dumb liberals would probably make a much more convincing case if you didn't pretend that nazis need an excuse to arm themselves or to inflict violence on others.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

enki42 posted:

When violence is met with non-violent direct action, the non-violent side maintains the moral high ground and highlights the extremes of the other side.

Stokely Carmichael posted:

His (Dr. King) major assumption was that if you are nonviolent, if you suffer, your opponent will see your suffering and will be moved to change his heart. That's very good. He only made one fallacious assumption: in order for nonviolence to work, your opponent must have a conscience.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If Spencer et al. were not fully comfortable with violence I'm pretty sure they would not describe their own goals as genocide and ethnic cleansing. Those aren't descriptions forced on them by some mean old anti-free-speech jerk, those are the words Spencer and his followers use themselves.

e: A few people have said they're just roleplaying nazis and it's all a funny joke! Lol hilarious!!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 30, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

enki42 posted:

Non-nazi people.

Why would they say that? You do know that guns are very common here in America, right? Like we even have an amendment about them and everything.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Cerebral Bore posted:

So by your own argument you have, at best, managed to generate headlines, much like the guy who punched the nazi. The rest is speculation.

You keep making these assertions of superiority, but the utter lack of even trying to construct an argument as for why your way is superior betrays that you don't even have a well-defined definition of what you mean by efficiency in this case beyond "this is what I like, therefore it must be more efficient".

Fine, I'll make an attempt to lay out my argument completely. I don't think I'm saying anything that I haven't said in this thread before, but to be fair it's a long thread and there's probably not a single post that you can point to summarizing this.

What I'm definining effectiveness is reducing the spread of Nazism in a society. I agree with the method of doing that that some people have been calling for violence against Nazis have stated - the best way to combat Nazism is to make their viewpoint completely unacceptable and abhorrent to society. Where we differ is our opinions on how to make those viewpoints abhorrent and unacceptable.

I think that the vast majority of Americans - and in fact, the vast majority of people in any society that has ever had problems with white supremacy or Nazism, aren't themselves white supremacists or Nazis. They might have racist or backwards attitudes. But they do have racist attitudes, and right now the Alt-right is trying to sway those people over to their camp, to stir up racial hatred and make them if not encouraging, at least accepting of fascist policies.

Right now, the resistance movement against the Trump administration and against Islamophobia and the alt-right is much stronger than the Alt-right itself. When violence is pre-emptively deployed on Nazis, things get muddier. The Alt-Right can paint themselves as victims, and the left as violent overreactionary thugs. Violence almost never has a positive impact on winning people over to your cause, and there's potentially a big downside. And it's likely that the nazis / alt-right are emboldened by the violence committed against them, radicalizing people further.

Another thing to consider is that the line between nazi / not-nazi isn't black and white, and not just from a slippery slope, "what if we punch non-nazis" perspective. There's people, a not insigificant number of people who identify with the alt-right, but stop short of supporting genocide. Maybe they're just pissed off with "sjws", or have backwards opinions about muslims. Those people can be convinced. Similarly though, those people can be radicalized. Direct, non-violent protest spreads your message and potentially wins those people over. Violence radicallizes them and pushes them closer to Nazis.

Also, for what it's worth, this is 100% in response to pre-emptive violence without a direct or imminent threat. I have zero problems with stuff like antifa actions against the Golden Dawn in Greece, where Nazis were attacking minorities directly.

quote:

You buncha dumb liberals would probably make a much more convincing case if you didn't pretend that nazis need an excuse to arm themselves or to inflict violence on others.

It's not about whether they need an excuse to arm themselves, it's about what people's response to seeing them arm themselves is. If they can legitimately claim that they are under attack, their escalation seems more normal. If they show up to non-violent protest arming themselves, they lose support.

noted failure Martin Luther King, Jr.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Who What Now posted:

Why would they say that? You do know that guns are very common here in America, right? Like we even have an amendment about them and everything.

This might be my not being an American showing - but it would be strange to openly brandish or even carry a gun to a protest, wouldn't it?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

enki42 posted:

This might be my not being an American showing - but it would be strange to openly brandish or even carry a gun to a protest, wouldn't it?

People open carry and brandish in restaurants, my dude.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

enki42 posted:

Maybe, if you're non-white.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

OK, I 100% don't know what I'm talking about in respect to guns then. I don't think I've ever even seen a gun that wasn't being held by an official of some kind.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

enki42 posted:

What I'm definining effectiveness is reducing the spread of Nazism in a society. I agree with the method of doing that that some people have been calling for violence against Nazis have stated - the best way to combat Nazism is to make their viewpoint completely unacceptable and abhorrent to society. Where we differ is our opinions on how to make those viewpoints abhorrent and unacceptable.

yeah because they already are abhorrent and unacceptable to normal people, however these people are nazis.

loving punch them

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

enki42 posted:

noted failure Martin Luther King, Jr.

so I guess malcolm x and huey newton don't exist anymore

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

stone cold posted:

so I guess malcolm x and huey newton don't exist anymore

I think it's an argument worth having that the civil rights movement wouldn't have been successful without them, but what I was responding to was implying that MLK didn't accomplish anything.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

esto es malo posted:

loving punch them

Why though? I thought the point was to punch them so that their opinions are abhorrent and unacceptable in society.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

enki42 posted:

I think it's an argument worth having that the civil rights movement wouldn't have been successful without them, but what I was responding to was implying that MLK didn't accomplish anything.

quote:

And now you're facing a situation where the young Negro's coming up. They don't want to hear that "turn the-other-cheek" stuff, no. In Jacksonville, those were teenagers, they were throwing Molotov cocktails. Negroes have never done that before. But it shows you there's a new deal coming in. There's new thinking coming in. There's new strategy coming in. It'll be Molotov cocktails this month, hand grenades next month, and something else next month. It'll be ballots, or it'll be bullets. It'll be liberty, or it will be death. The only difference about this kind of death -- it'll be reciprocal. You know what is meant by "reciprocal"? That's one of Brother Lomax's words. I stole it from him. I don't usually deal with those big words because I don't usually deal with big people. I deal with small people. I find you can get a whole lot of small people and whip hell out of a whole lot of big people. They haven't got anything to lose, and they've got every thing to gain. And they'll let you know in a minute: "It takes two to tango; when I go, you go."

The black nationalists, those whose philosophy is black nationalism, in bringing about this new interpretation of the entire meaning of civil rights, look upon it as meaning, as Brother Lomax has pointed out, equality of opportunity. Well, we're justified in seeking civil rights, if it means equality of opportunity, because all we're doing there is trying to collect for our investment. Our mothers and fathers invested sweat and blood. Three hundred and ten years we worked in this country without a dime in return -- I mean without a dime in return. You let the white man walk around here talking about how rich this country is, but you never stop to think how it got rich so quick. It got rich because you made it rich.

You take the people who are in this audience right now. They're poor. We're all poor as individuals. Our weekly salary individually amounts to hardly anything. But if you take the salary of everyone in here collectively, it'll fill up a whole lot of baskets. It's a lot of wealth. If you can collect the wages of just these people right here for a year, you'll be rich -- richer than rich. When you look at it like that, think how rich Uncle Sam had to become, not with this handful, but millions of black people. Your and my mother and father, who didn't work an eight-hour shift, but worked from "can't see" in the morning until "can't see" at night, and worked for nothing, making the white man rich, making Uncle Sam rich. This is our investment. This is our contribution, our blood.

Not only did we give of our free labor, we gave of our blood. Every time he had a call to arms, we were the first ones in uniform. We died on every battlefield the white man had. We have made a greater sacrifice than anybody who's standing up in America today. We have made a greater contribution and have collected less. Civil rights, for those of us whose philosophy is black nationalism, means: "Give it to us now. Don't wait for next year. Give it to us yesterday, and that's not fast enough."

I might stop right here to point out one thing. Whenever you're going after something that belongs to you, anyone who's depriving you of the right to have it is a criminal. Understand that. Whenever you are going after something that is yours, you are within your legal rights to lay claim to it. And anyone who puts forth any effort to deprive you of that which is yours, is breaking the law, is a criminal. And this was pointed out by the Supreme Court decision. It outlawed segregation.

Which means segregation is against the law. Which means a segregationist is breaking the law. A segregationist is a criminal. You can't label him as anything other than that. And when you demonstrate against segregation, the law is on your side. The Supreme Court is on your side.

Now, who is it that opposes you in carrying out the law? The police department itself. With police dogs and clubs. Whenever you demonstrate against segregation, whether it is segregated education, segregated housing, or anything else, the law is on your side, and anyone who stands in the way is not the law any longer. They are breaking the law; they are not representatives of the law. Any time you demonstrate against segregation and a man has the audacity to put a police dog on you, kill that dog, kill him, I'm telling you, kill that dog. I say it, if they put me in jail tomorrow, kill that dog. Then you'll put a stop to it. Now, if these white people in here don't want to see that kind of action, get down and tell the mayor to tell the police department to pull the dogs in. That's all you have to do. If you don't do it, someone else will.

If you don't take this kind of stand, your little children will grow up and look at you and think "shame." If you don't take an uncompromising stand, I don't mean go out and get violent; but at the same time you should never be nonviolent unless you run into some nonviolence. I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go insane, and I'm not responsible for what I do. And that's the way every Negro should get. Any time you know you're within the law, within your legal rights, within your moral rights, in accord with justice, then die for what you believe in. But don't die alone. Let your dying be reciprocal. This is what is meant by equality. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

enki42 posted:

Why though? I thought the point was to punch them so that their opinions are abhorrent and unacceptable in society.

lol if you don't already find nazi opinions abhorrent, swine

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/826174682915287045

Defend your families.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

enki42 posted:

It wasn't saying MLK didn't accomplish anything, it was saying MLK was wrong on this specific issue. You don't think he was literally infallible, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

stone cold posted:

lol if you don't already find nazi opinions abhorrent, swine

Don't deflect. Why should people punch Nazis? Why is it effective?

In my opinion, it doesn't seem to make them stop (it either has no effect or maybe escalates violence), and I don't think it wins people over to your cause (either normal folk or people affiliated with Nazis). So what does it do? And how is it more effective than non-violent action.

Re: your quote. That's very specifically about violence in response to violence, which is not what we're talking about. Speech isn't violence, and saying it is as bullshit as the people who call property damage violence. It's not acceptable, but we should meet speech with speech, and violence with violence.

• Locked thread