Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
All lives are precious, please do not attack others unless you've run out of other options!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, if op is obliquely referring to spencer being punched, that's not just 'you disagree with them'. Self defense is justified, and so is defense of another. You can't bitch and moan about free speech, when you're willing to selfishly deny the rights of others.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Steve2911 posted:

So what are the options?
that depends, i guess, on what the situation is? i feel like what i said is a good moral guideline

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

I solve this problem by just never thinking of other options in the first place.
I mean in most cases, there are plenty of other options. But I can't say it's right to ask people to not hurt someone, who would absolutely hurt them if given the chance.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think nazis hand-wring about the morality of violence when they attack people, nor are they really known for using pies. Intimidation works, nazis know it works, that's why they do it. It also works on nazis, same as anyone else.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like under society that's worth living in, right now, assault has to be illegal, and you need protection for speech.

But in a time of crisis, when you have nazis marching and advocating genocide, I can't condemn people who attack them, because nazis would happily abolish every single protection that they hide behind. They don't care about free speech, so why should they be protected by it? They'd be happy, and are happy, hurting others, they only care about getting caught, so why should they be protected by laws against assault?

But you can't really legally enforce that, because you cannot read minds objectively, so you could not prove it to a legal standard.

People saying 'kill whitey' should also be decked, for what it's worth. No one's getting genocided.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Hogge Wild posted:

You mean like communists?
Communists are not morally equivalent to nazis. Read Red Army soldier accounts of the liberation of the death camps (Treblinka/Auschwitz) to learn why. All of them lived under communism, yet every single one of them regards what they saw in the nazi camps as almost inconceivable, beyond the pale.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Actually, someone do us a solid and post some itt, I'm on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
In the perfect state, the probability of a fascist takeover would be 0%, and thus, political violence would be unnecessary, law would be upheld perfectly, and that law would be just.

We don't live in that state, or world, we live in a world where nazis are more than happy to bend/break the law, when it serves their purposes. Even if you agree not to assault nazis, do you think they would ever, in a million years, return that favor by not assaulting minorities/you whenever they have the chance? Nope, that's naive. Therefore, I cannot condemn people who use political violence against nazis, even unlawfully, because I know that nazis do not give a poo poo about the law, will never uphold the law, and will do everything in their power to pervert it.

• Locked thread