Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I think you're confused OP. Richard Spencer didn't get punched, which is easily proven by the fact that it's the lügenpresse who started reporting on it first. Therefore it's a lie and he is fine and unpunched.

People should keep unpunching him the same way as the 20th tbqh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Like people describing genocide as a difference of opinion is legit disgusting enough to make me wonder whether the gulag isn't unironically a good idea at this point and I'm not even a marxist.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

serioustalk: i had no idea who richard spencer was until he got punched in the face, now suddenly i'm seeing him everywhere and he has a platform to play victim on and be listened to, because he got punched in the face

i suspect i'm not the only person who learned about richard spencer this way

what i'm saying is that punching people because you don't like their opinions seems pretty dumb and counterproductive, moral arguments notwithstanding

He was already giving interviews on national television just a few months ago. He already had a platform. There is no such thing as premature anti-fascism.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

did he do anything at those interviews except look like a gross fuckin nazi who shouldn't be listened to

He did enough for morons to handwring about how genocide is just a difference of opinion.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"The lives of minorities are really just a matter of opinion" - Very serious people who I'm sure will be very nice when their neighbors get dragged out of their homes

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"Genocide is an opinion" - Moderate intellectuals

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Like everytime someone says "you hit them because of their opinions" they earn another year in the future Alaskan gulag.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
There's no actual serious economic parts to nazism, they tried to be everything for everyone and ultimately just kinda ended up having to loot the poo poo out of everything to even maintain a semblance of a functional economy with no economic program in sight. The first thing they did in power included privatizing just about everything that was formerly nationalized.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"Genocide requires absolutely committed nazis", says person who has never heard of Hannah Arendt

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
They won't have to do an uprising. Neonazis won through an alliance of convenience with center-right parties in the Reichstag. Then every horrible policy they wanted to enact became law.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I'm saying that neonazis have been working on cleaning up their image to get back in power the exact same way the original nazis did. And it's working. So yes, they should be made afraid to show their faces in the streets.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

AARO posted:

What other thoughts justify violence against the thought criminal?

"Agitating for genocide on national media is really just another idea"

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
So what you're saying is that sarcasm emboldens you to have stupid opinions?

Hypothetically what about punching?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
lol if you think it wouldn't have been legal to punch the guy for being gay in the 50s. Do you not realize why the Matthew Shepard act was only passed in the 90s?

Also your false equivalence is bad and you should feel bad. You're basically at the level of the nice people who just shut up and look the other way when poo poo goes bad, which makes you scum.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Gay panic was a thing until the 90s, Trans panic is still a thing in most of the union, convicting a black man is one of the most trivial things even when the accusation is bullshit, and so on, but it's punching nazis that pollutes the political discourse, okay.

Anyone who thinks nazism or fascism is dissent, a difference of opinion or a minority should be forced to watch Shoah on loop.

And then probably punched.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

AARO posted:

Nobody should be punched for mere speech, no matter how much you dislike it.

And this is where you would be wrong.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

AARO posted:

You people make the stupidest arguments.

An analogy is obviously not the exact same thing as the situation it is analogous to. Otherwise you would just be repeating the exact same scenario twice.

In my analogy the man said he was gay. Don't you understand that the I, by my act of presenting the analogy, get to set up the parameters for this nonexistent situation?

He's still being punched for being gay. He's punched for saying that he belongs to an oppressed minority group that it was more or less legal to murder until the 90s. He's saying "I belong to the category of people known as gay." It's not for speech, it's for a state of being. You are a humongous moron.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The handwringers itt are exactly the kind of people who will ensure that fascism comes to power, not because they voted for them but because they treat it as a continuity of normalcy because you'd rather tacitly approve what should never be approved.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

AARO posted:

Arguing against the analogy is embarrassingly sophomoric drivel.

You are embarassingly sophomoric drivel.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

AARO posted:

In the situation I set forth the reason he was punched was for stating that he was gay. It was not his being gay that triggered the punch, it was that he had spoken such.

In the situation you set forth he was punched for saying that he was gay, thus marking him as a member of the human category "gay", thus establishing that he is indeed gay. He wasn't punched for an idea, he was punched for who he was.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"Defending black people is equivalent to calling for genocide on national media" - very serious people

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

i can't answer that because i'm not mlk, nor a civil rights activist, nor was i alive during that era

Nor would you be any of these things if you were alive in that era by the sound of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"If we can't discuss ethnocide as a legitimate political option we are no longer a free country" - people who would never be on the receiving end of it

• Locked thread