Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

wizard on a water slide posted:

It's good that the law and morality are two different things, because it should not be legal to assault people, but it is morally correct to assault Nazis.

Yep. I hope everyone punches a Nazis and doesn't get caught so they can go on to punch many more nazi's in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

AARO posted:

You guys are just making up your own rules. Why should anyone listen to you? You have no principles, you just make up your own morality as you go along.

"He 'calls for' genocide so I can justifiably punch him." This is incorrect. Those who respect constitutional rights know that "No matter what he 'calls for' you cannot justifiably punch him solely based on that act of calling for something." It is not ok to inflict violence on people solely on the basis of them expressing their thoughts, regardless of how abhorrent their thoughts may be.

The law isn't morality.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It wasn't just some random trump supporter that got punched. It was a literal white supremacist who supports literal genocide of black people.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

AARO posted:

1950's. Guy speaks out in defense of black people. Gets punched. (Or an infinite amount of other analogies)

This would be bad. Here's a different hypothetical:

2017. Guy speaks out in support of killing all black people. Gets punched.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

AARO posted:

Answer this post.

Lowtax is ignoring what pretty much everyone in that thread is saying. It shouldn't be legal but it is still very good. Juries can nullify his attacker's sentence if they want because that's how juries work.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It has nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with other things that Spencer believes and supports.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It's not exactly what he said it's subtly different. I don't have a problem with normalizing violence against Nazis.

I'm not saying he's bad or trying to own him or anything. We just disagree about exactly how good punching Nazis is. It's a ~dialectic~

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Punch Nazis in their faces. Kick them while they're down.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'll be concerned when they punch someone who isn't a literal Nazi.

It's kind of hosed up that posters in this thread have already been posting about how the GOP is fascist and republican voters are fascist sympathizers. That is extremely dangerous rhetoric in a time where Nazi punching is good. If people start punching these standard ghoulish republicans then we are probably hosed.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

TomViolence posted:

I know, right, imagine if the right used dangerous rhetoric and the violent fallout that could ensue. Lucky they get a punch in the face for their troubles, really.

What's your point?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

This is basically the key point. It's not like punching Nazis is going to suddenly escalate into widespread indiscriminate violence. The second people start punching non-Nazis we can just say "whoa nope don't do that." And if a bunch of people do start punching non-Nazis, clearly our society has problems that run a lot deeper than just Nazi punching.

Like, I don't think we should encode "randomly punching Nazis is legal" into our legal system because that could make things confusing, but I also see no problem with the morality of the act itself.

The problem is that it easily could. Its not as easy as saying "whoa nope don't do that" because whats actually going to happen is a split among the liberal-left over who the real Nazis actually are, with one side calling the other side Nazi sympathizers.

For example: There are people itt who have posted that the GOP is fascist and its voters are fascist sympathizers at best. That is obviously not true, and I think we both know how disastrous it would be if some loud portion of the lib-left base started howling for republican blood. But, I suspect that there are people on my facebook who would react to a traditionally conservative spokesperson getting punched the same way they reacted to Spencer getting punched. That sort of thing could be the start of something really bad.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

tsa posted:

Like don't you people want to win? It honestly seems like people just want to be violent even if it results in an eventual loss on the issues they care about, which is as frightening as it is stupid. Let them throw the first punch, I mean how much more loving basic can you get in resistance 101.

Also people need to stop cosplaying pre-ww2 europe just because they lost an election and instead pick up a history book and do some critical analysis.

[Strategy] 101: let your opponent throw the first punch.

E: ^^the left needs some sort of organization to sanction what violence is good or not and the DNC is literally the only such organization I can image. It could be a legitimate ideological organization if we throw out the reptiles and replace it with believers.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 27, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Kilroy posted:

Unwittingly supporting fascists is not quite the same as being a fascist sympathizer.

It would be the start of Republicans being afraid to say Republican things in mixed company out of fear of being assaulted. That's bad if you're a Republican, and good if you're literally anyone else interested in a healthy civic society.

Republicans are anti-democratic, do you not understand this? If you want democracy you have to do whatever you need to do to protect democracy against those who want to destroy it. If you forced to make a choice between democracy and freedom of speech, you choose democracy.

We're already at "really bad". As I mentioned, it's true that breaking down these norms is bad news because it's very hard to build them back up. That's why you're not supposed to tolerate Nazis in the first place but it's too late for that and they're on the loose. The right has spent the last 40 years breaking down these norms, and now they've got their wish. You're making a slippery slope argument, and we're just pointing out that we're already sliding headlong down that slope - best to face the fact of it. Meanwhile you want to pretend we're still standing on solid ground.

Its a bit rich for you to accuse me of making a slippery slope argument when the entire premise you are arguing from is that we sliding. Things aren't nearly as bad as fascism yet. Liberals ran a lovely candidate and lost a close election. Norms have been eroding but we still have the same democracy as in October, we still have freedom of speech, we still have separate powers and we still have the constitution and generally independent judiciary. Things are "really bad" but they aren't any NEAR as bad as they would be under actual literal fascism like what Spencer supports.

Nothing good would come from people attacking predominant non-Nazi Republicans. All it would do is alienate left-leaning moderates and legitimize political violence against libs and the left. Republicans in liberal cities might have to keep their heads down, but you can bet your rear end that leftists in republican areas would bear the brunt of the violence. You can say I'm biased against it for this reason because I live in the Midwest, but there you have it.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Kilroy posted:

So you're arguing this on grounds of effectiveness rather than morality? I agree then.

"Effectiveness" or "considering the effect that my actions will have on others" is morality.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Posters here have at least speculated that bashing republicans would be good. Like within the past couple pages.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

A limo is a good target regardless of who it belongs to. I can hardly think of a clearer shorthand for capitalist excess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

That isn't al-Qaeda's justification for attacks on the west though?

• Locked thread