Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Hand Knit posted:

T2 has so much to do with memory, nostalgia, and failed dreams that watching Trainspotting first is probably pretty important.

It also has so many references in dialogue, audio cues, and visual cues that you won't appreciate or miss entirely if you haven't seen the first.

I really enjoyed it. It's a nostalgia sequel about nostalgia sequels. Everyone putting out a sequel 10-20 years later nowadays is trying to recapture that old magic, this is a film that lampoons that idea and deals with the reality that the good ol' days are gone and you can't go back. Not being as good as the original is kind of the whole point of the movie - the characters spend a good portion of the film talking about how awesome the events of the first film were. Trainspotting was a 90s zeitgeist film, and you can't make another one of those because the spirit of the times has vastly changed. Meanwhile the people who have moved on the most and been successful as a result, like Diane, are the least featured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well and the other most successful person in the film is Mikey "fuckin'" Forrester, who was the biggest wanker in the entire first film. They did a good job of showing that Sick Boy was absolutely clever enough to at least be a "higher class of gangster" but he's inherently too self-destructive to allow himself to succeed.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

I've never seen the first Trainspotting, how hosed am I if I try to watch these back to back?
I'd watch the first, wait a little bit to let it sink in, and then follow up with this one later. I imagine that the sequel would lose a lot of its punch if you didn't spend time soaking in the themes of the original and wondering about what happened to the characters.

As someone who came of age in the 90s and always loved Trainspotting, I have to say that I was amazed at how great the follow up was. It was completely sincere.

And holy crap, Sick Boy's line about being a tourist in your own youth. That really hit home.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 15, 2017

• Locked thread