Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If we’re opening the door to white actors, I think Michael ironside could do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kojiro posted:

This is a weird thing to assume is 100% accurate when nothing points to it whatsoever

Like dont get me wrong, I agree that those characters vanish cus they had eay too many irons in the fire as per usual, but having that happen would have been really dark and have pulled focus from pretty much everything else and would have been very jarring and bad.

I'm kind of baffled that anyone would think that Lani getting killed was ever on the table.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Harrow posted:

poo poo, actually, David Hayter might have been a decent Kiryu if he wasn't already Bartender Kashiwagi.

I think you could make a case for every Snake voice actor. David Hayter, John Cygan (RIP), Richard Doyle, even Kiefer Sutherland (not that he would). I read somewhere once that Kurt Russell was asked to be Naked Snake. Him too.

Keanu Reeves has the right dead-rear end affect, but I need him to say "nani?" in the English dub.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Zhao's dub performance for his final Drink Link in 7 is honestly one of the high points of the series for me, that dude is selling it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Koichi's STILL A THREAT!

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

DanielCross posted:

Zhao's dub performance for his final Drink Link in 7 is honestly one of the high points of the series for me, that dude is selling it.
IW minor spoiler I was honestly bummed his Drink Link in IW was so low key in large part because of how hard both VAs went in that scene in 7.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think Yea does an alright job. If Kiryu's part in the game was about teh same as in 7 then I would've played with the dub, but it's not and Kuroda is an incredible actor who got me to sob in the previous game, so I just knew the priority of who I wanted to hear. I'd even be down to play the dub if Kiryu is back in 9 as a party member, but not if it's our 4th sendoff.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I'd wager the most we get out of Kiryu in 9 is visiting him at the orphanage in Okinawa.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No Kiryu

No Kiryu ever again

We're done

We had a whole half of a game dedicated to saying goodbye to him

Don't bring him back

Just commit to it this time, let Ichiban's games be Ichiban's

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

No Kiryu

No Kiryu ever again

We're done

We had a whole half of a game dedicated to saying goodbye to him

Don't bring him back

Just commit to it this time, let Ichiban's games be Ichiban's

I mean, I don’t want him back as an important part of the cast, but you could genuinely make a great recurring gag out of Kiryu in remission beating cancer living his best life and being the final boss of any number of side stories like the Sujimon League: Heart and Soul Edition.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I agree, we said goodbye. I would, however, not say no to continuing Gaiden-sized brawling games with him, because I still like the brawling.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I hope the only mention of Kiryu we get in future titles is that he is living a peaceful life with his family, and an army of people are ensuring that it stays that way

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, I don’t want him back as an important part of the cast, but you could genuinely make a great recurring gag out of Kiryu in remission beating cancer living his best life and being the final boss of any number of side stories like the Sujimon League: Heart and Soul Edition.

He's the new Pocket Circuit guy.

And the new Sujimon guy.

And the golf pro.

Just lean right the gently caress into Kiryu Everywhere, except for a fight.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Either have him chill at the orphanage or have beating cancer be hard enough on him that he needs a cane (just like Kazama!) so he can be the new Komaki where he shows up to help you learn how to kick even more rear end and then fucks back off to raising kids and singing karaoke.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I think English Nanba in 7 was fantastic. Greg Chun was killing it. Probably because he (and Adachi) were more side characters in IW, he doesn't bring as much pathos, but he doesn't really need to, so much as he's the voice of reason saying please go to a loving hospital dude.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Kiryu will return one last time, to truly pass the torch by teaching Ichiban Tiger Drop.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ichiban will meet kiryu again...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

KAZUMA-KUN
Patriarch of the Pocket Circuit Family, a Karaoke Clan Subsidiary

The identity of the chairman of the Karaoke Clan is a big secret that is only revealed at the top of the Millenny Tower

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Ghostlight posted:

I agree, we said goodbye. I would, however, not say no to continuing Gaiden-sized brawling games with him, because I still like the brawling.

They have like 400 brawler characters who could easily carry a series (hi Kaito), we don't need more Kiryu. Let grandpa rest imo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dondoko island was just a backdoor test for LAD 9: Kiryu Crossing and the whole game is about relocating and rebuilding the orphanage on a smaller island off the coast of Okinawa

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

History Comes Inside! posted:

Dondoko island was just a backdoor test for LAD 9: Kiryu Crossing and the whole game is about relocating and rebuilding the orphanage on a smaller island off the coast of Okinawa

gently caress yeah

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So I’ve been playing through 0, did the pizza sidestory last night, and

Uh

Please tell me they never do anything like that ending ever again, because :wtc:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I think English Nanba in 7 was fantastic. Greg Chun was killing it. Probably because he (and Adachi) were more side characters in IW, he doesn't bring as much pathos, but he doesn't really need to, so much as he's the voice of reason saying please go to a loving hospital dude.

A lot of the English cast is honestly extremely good. Tomizawa (Matthew Yang King) loving knocked it out of the park IMO, he was extremely good at having a mostly-aloof disposition but you also really felt it during the times when he was getting emotional and serious like during his final drink link.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Uh

Please tell me they never do anything like that ending ever again, because :wtc:

There are more than a few moments of extreme sus in that vein moving forward. They're getting better about it in modern releases but far from perfect.

absolute goated sidequest for the most part tho

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd be more likely to play through with the dub in a future game if they also translated/dubbed background dialogue and enemy barks. Obviously less of an issue in IW because more than half of the game takes place in Hawaii with English environmental dialogue, but it still bugs me during the Japan parts.

Also playing with the Japanese audio makes it extra funny when every important NPC in all of Hawaii, and most of the substory ones on top of that, miraculously speaks perfect Japanese.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The pizza substory is insane because it's so good right up until the end. Kiryu's idiotic misunderstanding, him going to a burger place for pizza because they're both western foods, the one-time use of extremely dramatic music for bringing the pizza back to her... it's gold right up until the human trafficker is like, "I love you lets get married," to his victim and they all eat the pizza and laugh. Such a fumble.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
the thumbs up is gold. also pizza-la is a real chain so it doubles as insane product placement

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Harrow posted:

Also playing with the Japanese audio makes it extra funny when every important NPC in all of Hawaii, and most of the substory ones on top of that, miraculously speaks perfect Japanese.

For NPCs, they should have just had them speak primarily English if it makes sense for them to.

There are even some parts of the game where one character is speaking Japanese, one is speaking English, and they have no trouble communicating!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Pizza la paid money for that substory about how pizza can make love bloom between human trafficker and victim yes

That’s why an employee of smile burger gives a pitch about the convenience of pizza delivery and on company time orders from a competitor on a strangers behalf

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RGG doing the digiorno tweet

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

*walks into KFC* Hey can you all DoorDash some McDonald’s for me?

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Uh

8 might be worse in some places because it veers eerily similar to that but wholly unironically with some poo poo it does. I dunno, never got the criticism of Pizza substory because it goes so far off the rails that it's clearly not anything rooted in reality anymore, like some bizarro Always Sunny plot.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vookatos posted:

8 might be worse in some places because it veers eerily similar to that but wholly unironically with some poo poo it does. I dunno, never got the criticism of Pizza substory because it goes so far off the rails that it's clearly not anything rooted in reality anymore, like some bizarro Always Sunny plot.

"LOL AND THEN KASUGA GOT RAPED!" is so jarring in LAD8. It is loving baffling that no one during production took at look at that and said DONT loving DO THIS!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Vookatos posted:

As you post this a pizzala employee stands in the shadows staring approvingly

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

There are even some parts of the game where one character is speaking Japanese, one is speaking English, and they have no trouble communicating!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Chu-Baka

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yeah he's pretty kissable

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man I really underestimated Hero for most of 8. I'm finishing up the Big Swell now and ever since I got the True Legendary Hero's Bat, Ichi's been kicking ridiculous amounts of rear end. That extra lightning damage on knockdown is way bigger than it sounds like it will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'd like to change my answer to the "what license do you wanna see a LaD of" to Star Wars