Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Gross. Star Wars is lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd like to change my answer to the "what license do you wanna see a LaD of" to Star Wars

Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd like to change my answer to the "what license do you wanna see a LaD of" to Star Wars

Palpatine Everywhere System

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Runa posted:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms

i bet they could do a good Lu Bu story, he has left a long enough path of betrayals in his wake to be a RGG character

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I want RGG to get the Kunio license and do up the y0 cast as high school delinquents.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I'm gonna swear so many goddamn oaths in the peach garden

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I was going to say they should make an RGG version of Bully - but that's kinda just Lost Judgment.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Persona.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The problem is nobody in RGG is as smart as Lu Bu.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
They would make Ryuji Goda into Lu Bu and we would eat it up

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Real question is who is Cao Cao?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Regalingualius posted:

So I’ve been playing through 0, did the pizza sidestory last night, and

Uh

Please tell me they never do anything like that ending ever again, because :wtc:

i would have told you they get better about it but ooooh boy is there is one in yakuza8, that came out a few months ago, that is just :wtc:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

which one is that, the drink-scam one?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just got through Chapter 12 of Ishin! and wow I can't believe that they slipped an entire section of the PSP version into the game like that!

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

which one is that, the drink-scam one?

That one doesn't have quite the same rancid energy as the pizza ending but I still said "gently caress off" to my tv a few times while playing it

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
yeah lol, still cannot believe that outcome. i legit thought theres was gonna be a swerve or something coming in the last part. there had to be...!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Credits rolled on Yakuza 7. I have some... I guess medium sized problems with the last 10% or so of the story. Courtesy spoiler bars, since it's the end, even if it a couple years old now.

So starting from pretty much right at the end, I was really invested in that last scene at the coin lockers. They had to work VERY hard for me to actually feel any kind of sympathy, empathy, pity, etc. for Masato after everything he's said and done in this game. Massive, MASSIVE props to Kaiji Tang, because the raw emotion coming from Ichiban in that scene legitimately got me. Ever since the Sawashiro reveal, I was waiting for some kind of confrontation/conversation between the two of them where Ichi says something to the effect of "I've always considered you my brother" and god loving drat did they pick the absolute PERFECT opportunity to bust it out for maximum effect. And despite my dislike for Y1, the parallel to Kiryu and Nishiki, but this time the hero actually manages to convince his brother to turn it around through his words, fists, and feelings, was so, so good.

And then Kume stabs him in the gut and kills him.

So. I don't think this necessarily... ruins the scene? Either way, Ichi succeeded in convincing Masato to change and turn himself in, and he was going to exit the narrative regardless, by going to prison for who knows how many years. It doesn't actually change THAT much. But at the same time... it also doesn't add anything. It feels unnecessary. It was better executed and made more sense than when Hamazaki stabbed Kiryu at the end of 3 only for it to literally not matter because he was perfectly fine in the next scene after the credits, but it still just sort of feels like cheap drama for the sake of it right at the finish line when there was already MORE than enough in the scene as-is, which does taint it a little.

Moving backwards a little bit, I also found chapters 13 and 14 weirdly paced. Like, Sawashiro has been a presence since literally the start of the game, and they introduced Ishioda and Tendo awhile ago by this point, but none of them were given a ton of focus prior to this point. Yet here they suddenly explode into the forefront of the story, as if the writers were trying to speedrun some new Dojima Lieutenants for Ichi to fight before getting to Masato. All 3 of them are in Masato's office receiving orders, and are then dealt with 30 minutes later. The establishment of the Tokyo Omi and the scene at the restaurant with Sawashiro gouging out the elder statesman yakuza's eye felt like such an insane re-escalation after an event that seemed like it was about to lead to the end of the game in Arakawa's Gambit. I don't know what the deal was here.

Anyway I'm going to talk about the stuff I thought was cool and good now. Such as: basically the entire rest of the story. Everything to do with the Ijin Three. Everyone in the party is so cool and good, and several non-playables are also cool and good. Fun battle system but man did it feel like a rough draft at points. Lot of fun substories. As I've mentioned multiple times the voice acting in the dub was phenomenal. Music killed it. Love how goofy and over the top they went with Ichi's delusional Dragon Quest brain and the general lighter vibe of the non-drama parts. Makes for a fun contrast to Judgment, which I played back in January.

I think I'd place this as a firm #3 on my ranking, below 0 and Judgment, and beating out Kiwami 2.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I also agree that 0 and Judgment are better stories though I resonated a lot harder with 7.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Yakuza 6 spoilers.

After a lot of time wondering what the hell the Secret of Onomichi could be I was both not prepared for the emergence of the Yamato mk.2 but also for its big dramatic reveal I kept thinking how it's really less of a big deal than Osaka Castle having a larger golden castle underneath it that emerged in similar fashion.

But holy poo poo that bit with Hirose revealing he killed Nagumo and Matsunagi's dads as he died, Kiryu's reaction and remembering how Kazama went out. Incredible drama.

Also it was funny when Yuta was revealed as Haruto's dad because literally as soon as we met him I was sure it'd be him but then we spent most of the game on a wild goose chase.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shyrka posted:

Yakuza 6 spoilers.

After a lot of time wondering what the hell the Secret of Onomichi could be I was both not prepared for the emergence of the Yamato mk.2 but also for its big dramatic reveal I kept thinking how it's really less of a big deal than Osaka Castle having a larger golden castle underneath it that emerged in similar fashion.

But holy poo poo that bit with Hirose revealing he killed Nagumo and Matsunagi's dads as he died, Kiryu's reaction and remembering how Kazama went out. Incredible drama.

Also it was funny when Yuta was revealed as Haruto's dad because literally as soon as we met him I was sure it'd be him but then we spent most of the game on a wild goose chase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu8v5tQjc2I

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Finished Y5 and while I was really getting frustrated with a few aspects of it (encounter rate, Shinada's extra bosses being the most egregious), I really enjoyed Shinada's last cutscene :gbsmith:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Absolutely incredible scene.

Yakuza 6 as the last game of the Kiryu saga makes a lot of sense for just how done with poo poo he seems to be in a lot of it. He gets to be a chill old man in places, going to the bar and running his baseball team, but any time someone starts acting out he's clearly thinking, "I'm too old for this poo poo, I'm not gonna sugarcoat it."

Also I want to formally apologise to Date-san for my comments earlier in the thread saying how it sucked we were stuck with him after so many cool characters from 0 never got to appear again. Cuffing Yuta in the middle of his dramatic tirade was just perfect.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shyrka posted:

Yakuza 6 spoilers.

I think this was mentioned in the past in this thread but that reveal was a massive thing in Japan due to its symbolism in terms of World War 2 and how Hiroshima was very much the turning point of the war, and the parallels a World War 2-era superweapon has with Kiryu himself. You're right that, from a pure engineering standpoint, the castle is a more impressive thing, but it's not quite as dripping with symbolism as the warship is.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Yeah, really it's just a museum piece in 2016 so it's hard to see anyone of the current generation caring, but somehow the cast is full of people who were not only alive during World War 2 but old enough to be influential and powerful back then too.

Kiryu fist fights an 85 year old man!

I thought Kuze looked kinda decrepit and he's probably still younger than Hirose. Yes I know Kuze in 0 looks a lot older than Kiryu does in 6, but it was the 80s, people aged rough back then.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m trying to think of what an American equivalent would be; maybe like if a game was set in New York 2071 and we discover that Giuliani built a new set of twin towers underground ?

And then you have a fistfight with Giuliani

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

And that's 6 finished.

I was pretty disappointed that Daigo/Majima/Saejima were absent the entire game. They kind of have to be for the Tojo Clan to be a fuckup you fight with, but still for the last entry in Kiryu's story I expected more of the guys that've been with him for so much of it. The post-credits stuff with them and especially Daigo was really good though. The moment you realise Kiryu is writing a letter to Daigo and not Haruka really hit hard.

Also a fantastic bit of interface 'gently caress you' for the final boss getting his dynamic intro label as CEO of Iwami Shipbuilding.

Awesome game. Gonna feel weird going into 7 with the new turn-based style and protagonist, but I'm looking forward to getting to know Ichiban.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Shyrka posted:

Also a fantastic bit of interface 'gently caress you' for the final boss getting his dynamic intro label as CEO of Iwami Shipbuilding.

You missed the best part of this, the Objective for defeating him says "He is nothing to me." Kiryu has ZERO respect for this fucker.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
These games can be so wacky. I say that with great love.

I just finished Chapter 5 of YK2 and never in a million years would I have expected the game to throw me into a topdown RTS-lite Last Stand scenario.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m trying to think of what an American equivalent would be; maybe like if a game was set in New York 2071 and we discover that Giuliani built a new set of twin towers underground ?

And then you have a fistfight with Giuliani

On terms of impact on the American cultural memory it would be that or JFK assassination yeah.

Shadowy CIA group that orchestrated JFK’s assasination and now must cover it up as a key member is a powerful senator and the revelation would disrupt the American system is not really far fetched given the age of our leadership, JFK conspiracies already out there or that far from an actual yakuza plot though

Also there’s a coliseum in the book depository

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

On terms of impact on the American cultural memory it would be that or JFK assassination yeah.

Shadowy CIA group that orchestrated JFK’s assasination and now must cover it up as a key member is a powerful senator and the revelation would disrupt the American system is not really far fetched given the age of our leadership, JFK conspiracies already out there or that far from an actual yakuza plot though

Also there’s a coliseum in the book depository

New Yakuza game but it is just Bubba Hotep.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

univbee posted:

A lot of the English cast is honestly extremely good. Tomizawa (Matthew Yang King) loving knocked it out of the park IMO, he was extremely good at having a mostly-aloof disposition but you also really felt it during the times when he was getting emotional and serious like during his final drink link.

I'll admit I found his obviously fake accent in the
HELP OFFICERS IM BEING ROVVED scene way funnier than I probably should have. Someone upthread commented on his just-a-little-guy. kind of energy, which I think helps sell moments of drama like the drink link and the first Dwight confrontation. Andrew Kishino is another standout; his Yamai is appropriately sinister but with just a hint of the eccentricity needed for that kind of rival character, and I haven't even gone through the whole game with the dub.

I'm reminded of a decade ago, on these very forums, when Chip Cheezum commented during his Let's Play of The Wonderful 101 that Wonder-White should probably not have been voiced by Yuri Lowenthal using an accent, and his co-commentator General Ironicus pointed out the paucity of Asian actors in the dub business at the time. It's only fitting that a series so quintessentially Japanese is helping buck that trend. Veteran character actors like Greg Chun and Kaiji Tang finally headlining, newer talent like Susie Yeung landing breakout roles more easily, the YT shitpost to professional VO pipeline giving us SungWon Cho and Aleks Le. (Though it seems like Le never left the YT shitposts, to the apparent irritation of managers at Aniplex and Sega alike).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When you say "this happened to my buddy Eric," he's the Eric it happened to

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he's such a loving Eric lol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/RGGStudio/status/1780009546087313508?t=Q1-0XRRzZu5cc_nd1bdM3Q&s=19

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
He's loving it

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So I finished Infinite Wealth and I guess I gotta spoiler basically everything I think about it. I found it to be a very varied game of variable quality throughout, so you kind of have to think about every element in isolation.

Mechanics (not too spoily unless you don't want to know what the side content is I guess):

So I generally like the big mechanical changes to the combat. I liked cherry-picking skills from classes, proximity bonuses, back attacks, combo attacks, moving before an attack, all that stuff. Kiryu's special move was a nice nod to his brawler game history, but I'd have liked it to have a bit more depth than just mashing punch or chain stomping knocked down guys - at least let me do rush combo finishers and throws.

I did think the "mechanical pacing" was a bit off in a number of ways. It might have been better if jobs were unlocked gradually throughout the entire game instead of a huge initial rush and then picking off a few stragglers later.

I had a pretty varied experience with levelling. I was wary of outlevelling the story content and making it trivial like I did in Ishin and Gaiden, so I stayed out of Ichiban's dungeon at first. That put me a few levels behind the story content so there was one particular boss fight where my experience was "survive this by eating all the health items until my chip damage defeats the boss". After that I saw that the dungeons had recommended levels, so I figured I'd do any dungeon I was at the recommended level for, and that lead me to being generally higher level than all the story content, which was a shame - I didn't even do the EX levels of the dungeon.

Upgrading weapons was pretty painless compared to the previous game, I didn't engage with it a lot - I just bought weapons from shops and then got everyone's ultimate weapon from their drink link and dumped whatever upgrade materials I had into those.

I didn't like Sujimon or Dondoko Island very much. I finished both of them, which puts them above the Batting Centre (I find this basically impossible unless I look up where all the pitches are going to go online) or Pocket Circuit (this is basically just looking up the car setups online as well) in most of these games, so they weren't that bad. Sujimon had a fair bit of complexity when it came to levelling up the Sujimon, but the battles were basically brain-dead - it might have been good if Sujimon had more than one power. Dondoko Island felt like busywork to me after a few hours so I ended up just rushing through it, putting buses everywhere and filling Kasuga's house with garbage trucks.

Having most of the character chats on the map was a mixed blessing. On the one hand it's nice to not miss them, but it also meant whenever a new character entered the party I immediately roadtripped around the map and binged all their dialogue. Likewise with Kiryu's memories.

I thought the parties were too big. The game's Like A Dragon 8, there's four slots in each party for a total of eight, so here are ten characters. I felt bad that Adachi and Nanba sat out basically the entire last third of the game, covered in ankle weights and yakuza training gear.

I hardly used the segway. I taxied everywhere. I did use it on those occasions where you couldn't get a taxi.

I didn't do much of the other side activities. I didn't do the dating game or sicko snap or crazy delivery any more than the game required, and I feel OK about that choice, which is a bit of a shame. Recycling was a chore for 15 minutes.

Story (very spoily for both this and the previous game):

I found the story to be on the whole less good than the previous game. Bryce and Ebina were worse than Aoki as villains, which is perhaps inevitable when you have two main villains instead of one.

I didn't find Palekana to be that convincing a villain organisation. A cult is a classic example of this kind of organisation, but it felt like they wanted three groups of people in Palekana - good true believers who've been duped by Bryce, evil true believers who do nasty stuff for Bryce but still believe, and then Bryce himself, who openly murders and mocks the faith of those around him. It felt dumb to have Bryce standing there surrounded by his faithful talking poo poo about how stupid they all are, and then they fight to the death for him. Either Bryce shouldn't have been so open about Palekana just being a tool to elevate himself (and once exposed maybe Kasuga could have saved Bryce from his murderous ex-followers) or his inner circle should have been as cynical about Palekana as he was.

Ebina felt like the stronger villain concept to me, especially for a game that's following one that was about the yakuza, and whose heroes are both yakuza. Unfortunately it felt like he got considerably less screentime than Bryce, and him being related to Kasuga didn't really matter since Kasuga barely sees him. It did feel a bit unheroic to fight him five-on-one in a dingy office - Bryce's boss fight felt better. I've seen people say it might've been better if Ebina and Eiji were the same character, so Kasuga got to both interact with him more, and to actually save a brother instead of just saving one particularly lovely guy.

Dwight was pretty good as a side villain, no real complaints there. Wong Tou was weirdly underdeveloped, and rescuing his son was a complete afterthought after his death. Yamai was just great throughout.

The Daidoji continue to be a generally bad plot element. They spent an entire game showing us Hanawa (and a few Daidoji villains as well), then they kill Hanawa and all Daidoji content is then delivered by very helpful nameless Daidoji men. I was never convinced by their leverage over Kiryu, and their level of concern when he either exposes himself or is exposed by others fluctuates wildly. Hanawa felt like a character that they never really did much with, and then he died. I hope this is the last we hear of the Daidoji unless they're just some guys you punch.

Speaking of characters they didn't do much with - Daigo, Majima and Saejima are kind of in this game! It kind of felt like they had been reluctantly included, though. You get a tiny amount of time with them, you fight them, you fight with them. I didn't think the idea of them all hiding out up north made a ton of sense. I can see the mountain man Saejima actually enjoying this life, but he barely talks in this game so you wouldn't know. Daigo I can see doing Kiryu's misguided "I must take responsibility by running away from all my problems" stance, but Majima? He should've had to have been dragged kicking and screaming up there and agreed to come back the moment Kiryu showed his face. All in all, it felt like a box-ticking exercise - you can't have a Kiryu sendoff without these guys, so they're here. Okay, they're gone, next thing.

I liked the party characters, their drink links were consistently good. Substories were much more varied - stunt man stuff was probably the lowest point (especially since there were two rounds of it) while Let It Snow was top-notch.

I felt like this game had fewer memorable fights than the previous one. Fighting Majima and Saejima in LAD7 was for me probably the most interesting combat got in both games, with Tendo being a close second. The shark and octopus in this one were decent touches, but a bit outclassed.

I'm hoping this is Kiryu's final rodeo as a playable character. Giving him a second sendoff game is I guess okay given how bad his previous sendoff (6) was and how he came back the very next game, but it'd just be ridiculous if he popped back up next game good as new. I did get a laugh out of the final boss fight from Ebina's perspective being "a man runs into my office, rips his shirt off, punches me in the face and then cries all over me and passes out" though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gort posted:

I did get a laugh out of the final boss fight from Ebina's perspective being "a man runs into my office, rips his shirt off, punches me in the face and then cries all over me and passes out" though.

Ebina wasn't a great villain but yeah it was kind of funny how confused he was for the final scene. Shades of the end of asscreed 2 there, where the cyber ghost is talking past Ezio, who is left there to wonder what the hell just happened

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Oh, another minor mechanical thing

The in-battle QTEs look really cool and impactful but do like 2% damage to the boss when you pull them off, also gently caress the ones that require button mashing instead of timed presses

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So does the dancing minigame suck this badly across the entire franchise, or just 0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

just 0