Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

seriously is there a save editor or something to just flag this complete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Regalingualius posted:

So does the dancing minigame suck this badly across the entire franchise, or just 0?

Not only does that dancing minigame never show up again, but the inside of that club doesn't appear again until Yakuza 7, when its been converted into a rather unremarkable hostess club some eleven years later

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Disco was great, I don't know what you're talking about.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Disco is good but you really need to have a feel for the actual rhythm for each song because if you go by reacting to the visuals it's already too late. The Lockstep of Yakuza.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I enjoyed disco but it was probably a major misstep for the timing to be all or nothing instead of the Perfect-Great-Good-Bad-Miss system most existing rhythm games use to some degree. Kinda asks a lot out of the player relative to other stuff since it makes it less approachable than karaoke but there’s actual substories locked behind it.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Wolfsheim posted:

Not only does that dancing minigame never show up again, but the inside of that club doesn't appear again until Yakuza 7, when its been converted into a rather unremarkable hostess club some eleven years later

I came to post that I didn't even remember the club in 7, and also that also 1988 + 11 years is 1999 and we've never seen anything of 90s Kamurocho past Tenkaichi, except chapter 1 of–oh

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

mmkay posted:

Disco was great, I don't know what you're talking about.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I don't fully remember the chain in Yakuza 0 involving disco for substories, but just in case anyone's doing a perfectionist approach, it is 100% impossible to win the friendly dance-off with Miracle Johnson. There are YouTube videos of people playing that sequence perfectly, but MJ just gets more points than you do and there's no way to outpace him in terms of your score.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Oh, I already did that ages ago. I’m just currently stuck on the finale to Majima’s chain.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mycot posted:

Disco is good but you really need to have a feel for the actual rhythm for each song because if you go by reacting to the visuals it's already too late. The Lockstep of Yakuza.

Yeah that was the game changer for me. Use your ears, not your eyes (well, you still have to look, but you know what I mean). The piano minigame in ff7 rebirth worked the same way imo, I started getting better scores when I went with my heart instead of my eyes (I still sucked, but less)

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Never played one of these, but thinking I'll play Infinite Wealth soon. How does it run on the Steam Deck? I'd be deciding between PC+Deck or PS5. I've heard there are lots of cutscenes, plus it's long so being on the couch with PS5 sounds good, but also it's length might lend itself to being flexible with PC+Deck so I'm not taking over the TV or stuck in my office.

I'll have to watch some primer videos on the story I imagine.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just install chiaki4deck and you can play the ps5 version on your deck anyway

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah that was the game changer for me. Use your ears, not your eyes (well, you still have to look, but you know what I mean). The piano minigame in ff7 rebirth worked the same way imo, I started getting better scores when I went with my heart instead of my eyes (I still sucked, but less)

100%. It's all about the beat

(I do think a Fair/Good/Great scale would be nice; I'm also sensitive to the potential technical challenges and/or opportunity cost in a game with a ton of minigames as is)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

KingKapalone posted:

Never played one of these, but thinking I'll play Infinite Wealth soon. How does it run on the Steam Deck? I'd be deciding between PC+Deck or PS5. I've heard there are lots of cutscenes, plus it's long so being on the couch with PS5 sounds good, but also it's length might lend itself to being flexible with PC+Deck so I'm not taking over the TV or stuck in my office.

I had the settings turned down pretty low and managed almost a stable 30 fps the whole time and played it all on Deck because the game dropped while I was on vacation, so I'd say its a pretty fun time on deck!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
My issue with Disco was that all the Steps do is increase your score when hitting the next note, if you miss the note you get nothing. I think it should've been balanced so that while notes are worth most of the points the steps also give a little bit of points so if you miss the note they arent completely wasted.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/RGGStudio/status/1781084179465179141

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ruffian

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Aniki

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
sir

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

The game itself runs great on the Deck, but this game is (seemingly at least) also the end of Kiryu’s story so you’ll be watching a LOT of YouTube primers to fully appreciate the impact of his half of the game being an extended send off. I mean, Ichiban and his crew are likable and all, but you might be better off just buying 0 unless you really hate serviceable beat em up combat.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

KingKapalone posted:

Maybe play Like A Dragon first, honestly, you'll get way more out of it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alright that's Yakuza Ishin! finally knocked out. Took me 158 hours to finally decide to beat the main story. If I had more knowledge of Japanese 19th century history it probably would've worked for me more, much like the twist in 6 but as it stands I kinda just ended up burning out by chapter 12 with the horrible frame rate dip. Besides that if it had just been balanced better I probably would have a higher opinion of it, it feels like Chapter 7 is the last time the game increases exp rewards and it just doesn't increase from there. Yakuza 1 Kiwami and 0 had it right, one upgrade wheel for every style, making them need their own to fill out makes this way too tedious. Also a thing that infuriates me in any game with an immense amount of materials to collect for crafting is if it's stingy. If there's more than 50 different items, please let enemies drop multiples or at least a couple different things at once. Is it too much to ask for a handful of mishapen nails and rusty springs every so often?

That being said, I bought Infinite Wealth 10 days ago and having only played the demo all I could think of was as soon as I beat Ishin! is that I can go play that after it did a fine job getting my interest after playing the Gaiden demo so that's probably part of it.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 20, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm playing Judgment for the first time and having a great time, but I do have to lol a bit at this plot point

(Chapter 7 spoilers) Yagami keeps wondering why he's a suspect in Shintani's murder but like... Shintani's body was found in Yagami's office. Yagami's locked office. And called in by someone else, too. It'd be weird if he wasn't a suspect!

I know there's another story reason for that but it still strikes me as very silly

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He is not a very good detective

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kaito’s nose is the only thing holding that place together

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Well, I finished up the Cabaret subplot in 0 last night.

Is there any particular trick to maxing out your money gains from it after that? Like, I figure there's the obvious of "make 2 teams and rotate them", though I'm wondering if there's some, like, recommended comp

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Regalingualius posted:

Is there any particular trick to maxing out your money gains from it after that? Like, I figure there's the obvious of "make 2 teams and rotate them", though I'm wondering if there's some, like, recommended comp

The best way for majima to make money is mr shakedown full stop. Cabaret is a lot of fun but you only make money after playing the mini game and it takes 3 minutes plus getting through menus.

You get the encounter finder, unlock the zap gun and just hunt mr shakedown and shoot him if you’re looking to max everything out as majima

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

I think most people just advise using the one NPC that lets you send money from Kiryu to Majima since he earns so much more money doing his business game and has the Mr Shakedown exploit, but yeah if you’re doing cabernet then just two really good teams are enough.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Harrow posted:

I'm playing Judgment for the first time and having a great time, but I do have to lol a bit at this plot point

(Chapter 7 spoilers) Yagami keeps wondering why he's a suspect in Shintani's murder but like... Shintani's body was found in Yagami's office. Yagami's locked office. And called in by someone else, too. It'd be weird if he wasn't a suspect!

I know there's another story reason for that but it still strikes me as very silly

My read on it is that the evidence is so blatantly staged to make Yagami look as incriminating as possible, it being the body of a former coworker stuffed in HIS wardrobe, that he's exasperated that they're actually seriously pursuing him as a suspect instead of just going through the motions. Like he's more offended that they think he's stupid enough to do something like that than anything.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Last Celebration posted:

I think most people just advise using the one NPC that lets you send money from Kiryu to Majima since he earns so much more money doing his business game and has the Mr Shakedown exploit, but yeah if you’re doing cabernet then just two really good teams are enough.

Sotenbori is smaller and more straightforward than Kamurocho (just two big loops basically.) and Majimas skills are half Kiryu that just hunting shakedown with no exploits but taking advantage of how good zap guns is against him is perfectly fine for majima

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

To expand a bit - the exploit is to lose to Mr Shakedown, before beating him. Since each time you do he takes your money and multiplies it for the next encounter.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

mmkay posted:

To expand a bit - the exploit is to lose to Mr Shakedown, before beating him. Since each time you do he takes your money and multiplies it for the next encounter.

This only works with Kiryu though since he has a skill that increases rewards from Mr. Shakedown by 50%

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know why but I always feel like I'm super easily impressed whenever I like something. Ichiban and Eiji had a nice conversation together in the beginning of Chapter 2 and I like that he's an out-of-battle guest character that gives you buffs. That's very fun to me for some reason. It makes me hopeful they think of a way to have a system like your security guards in 0 or friends in Judgement stepping in to help you during fights randomly for the next game.

Also I'm hoping that the next game will be something to do in England with Majima on your team (They do a Jack the Ripper thing) or Australia with Saejima (Holy poo poo these dudes are huge)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RatHat posted:

This only works with Kiryu though since he has a skill that increases rewards from Mr. Shakedown by 50%

I’m pretty sure Majima profits off of Mr. Shakedown too, but not by nearly as much.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Also I'm hoping that the next game will be something to do in England with Majima on your team (They do a Jack the Ripper thing) or Australia with Saejima (Holy poo poo these dudes are huge)

This ain't a show, wanker

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You fuckin nani mate?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Can't wait for the Dr. Whomst'd've substory

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Dewgy posted:

I’m pretty sure Majima profits off of Mr. Shakedown too, but not by nearly as much.

Every time you beat Mr. Shakedown he'll respawn with more money on him and more hp/damage to go with it, so he can always be farmed for money.

It's just Kiryu can multiply those gains by 'donating' to Mr. Shakedown with a loss before beating him, since any money Kiryu loses to Mr. Shakedown gets increased by 50% when added to his fund, while it's zero sum with Majima.

Majima does get vastly more money for passing milestones in Cabaret Club Czar at least.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Waffleman_ posted:

This ain't a show, wanker

I’m down for “Mr. Brightside” karaoke, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oi, you got your yakuza loicense?