Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I also just got finished with 0-2, after having 7 be my first one last year.

Really really fun stuff, though it was just unfair how cinematic and cool and professional 0's story was compared to the also cool, but very videogamey Kiwamis. I think 1 felt stronger than 2 story wise just because it was more focused, and I didn't like how 2 frequently returns to the navelgazing retelling of the Korean mafia wipeout, with the story being revised each time, and then Kiryu being revealed to have been there just so he can solve the argument with Terada at the end or whatever. That type of story is less interesting to me than the raw, straightforward crime story poo poo that 0 did so well, but I get how, at the original release it was trying to tell a different type of story than 1. And I suspect I should become tolerant of that type of storytelling when playing the next games? All that said, there was an ache in my heart that needed to be soothed by that Majima followup from 0 (afterwards, the ache still remained).

The fighting appeared to be an improvement at the beginning of 2, but actually ended up not being quite as fun imo. The reasons for this have probably been gone over by fans long before I played this, but yeah Kiryu is less stiff and finicky to control, but everything felt a little weaker and I just got through everyone with the charge punch. Also, only in 2, I would constantly forget to heal for some reason, but then I would die and respawn fully healed at a really recent checkpoint which felt really weird every time. I know the other games were like this but the save system and I think the combat flow made you more aware and in control of your hp. I actually think I only stocked up on heals before doing arena fights and before the final mission. That said I didn't do as much side stuff in 2 because of the game pass deadline and needing to unlock the final Majima mission as quickly as possible.

goddamn 0 was good. Holy poo poo I loved that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I just played through 0-2 for the first time in the last month, and I would agree that 0 > 1 > 2, for those reasons listed. On the topic of 0 being too big of a height to descend from for the next games, yeah, it is, but I have no regrets.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Eri is for me

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I've played 7, 0, kiwami 1 and 2, in that order, and now I'm gonna play this new one. whatever happened to kiryu when I wasn't watching I accept, but do not need to know about. Let's go Ichiban.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
These loving innumerable tatara channel cutscenes REALLY had to be the type that you can't skip line by line, huh?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Okay this one was redeemed by having the closing stinger be (endish of Ch 12 spoilers) SEIRYU CLAN IS BLEACH JAPAN

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah I had the same feeling when I first went back to Japan and they don't let you back in Survive to meet the bartender I was like, ok, they didn't want to commit to this fully. Then they do let you in, and it's obviously pointed out, but it seemed like they wouldn't go into it as a real world event, just a wacky fourth wall breaking thing. Then the memory link happens and they actually have a cool conversation where they show you that yeah, Kashiwagi is actually who he is and he lived and retired happily. Then I started getting all the other kiryu past meetups.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
well you are on a hawaiian vacation

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I found a kiwami violet early and it trivialized everything, and I think I'm very happy about that. The best parts for me are sodachi and co. and hanging around dodonko farm with the random ones I picked for each job was fun.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
For a 70 hour game I also thought the runup to the epilogues were a little sudden, yeah.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Ebisawa!!!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
this ain't a show, dickhead

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
DWAYNE JOHNSON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVmiaOSCzD0

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I could never get great results, even when I used my near max level gachimon or whatever the secret top tier ones were called.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm glad they at least shouted out Takabe a few times. That guy was dope.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
He's loving it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I want that big disgusting plate of fugu that Shimano eats