Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Ninth Layer posted:

My biggest issue with 8 was that around chapter 5 or 6 it started to get very clear that the game was going to have you unlock the same RPG features at the exact same pace in chapters that 7 did, but 7 felt like they had enough story to tell to justify the chapters, whereas 8 feels like it's gotta find extra story to put between job unlocks, the rng dungeons and the island mini game. A lot of the middle chapters are along the lines of: talk to one guy, oh no you're betrayed, let's fight our way out, ok now what. I was usually pretty unclear about how anything I was doing was going to lead me to Ichiban's nom.

It felt like four separate scenes where you get introduced to the Real Boss of hawaii, have to fight them, and then find out they weren't in charge, actually they just follow the orders of an Even Bigger Boss. Then another four or so scenes where Chitose turned out to be betraying you all along!! But actually it only looked that way and anyway you need her to introduce you to the next Big Boss. I'm just now remembering the mob boss dad freaking out about how his kid was taken by the Real Actual This Time Lord of Hawaii and thought for a while they were setting him up as a new party member, tbh I can't even remember what specifically happened to him. Kiryu's story helps fill some of the game's empty space but has the problem of being pretty much entirely him saying "I have terminal cancer. I am dying and will be dead soon. I'm resigned to my fate and giving up" over and over again in different arrangements. Yamai was a fun antagonist and the highlight of the game's story, but the main bad guys being an obviously crazy guy and also some guy you had an awkward five minute chat with in chapter 2 made for a big step down compared to 7's ending.

I still enjoyed the game and characters, it was fun to play, but also this game has you spend so much time watching cut scenes and reading through dialog boxes where every character is as wordy as they could possibly be just to tell you absolutely nothing beyond okay let's go to the next place with bad guys. By the end every cut scene felt like a slog.

MOD EDIT: Edited in spoiler tags at the request of a couple of posters. No big deal! --HopperUK

For full transparency, I stuck some spoiler tags on this, in case The Ninth Layer is away from keyboard or can't edit post or something. Thanks chums :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

History Comes Inside! posted:

Dondoko island was just a backdoor test for LAD 9: Kiryu Crossing and the whole game is about relocating and rebuilding the orphanage on a smaller island off the coast of Okinawa

gently caress yeah