Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So Yakuza 6 is for sure the end for Kiryu huh? Haven't looked into the story for 6 at all.

Got my business edition of Zero preordered today so I'm ready for Tuesday :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

GameStop near me started selling a couple games at 9pm so I got my copy already :getin:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm so glad Yakuza seems to be picking up in the west more. Hoping Kiwami continues to do justice for the series here.

It's so good and so many people should play it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Crabtree posted:

I'd rather they just Kiwami the whole past 1-5 games into one updated collection. Make loading it up have a special little transition from Kiryu sitting down like he's going to watch a movie.

I've always wanted a sick set that's kinda like a Criterion Collection of Yakuza 0-6.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

julian assflange posted:

I'll say it again. Announce the full set of remakes and I will pay for them all in full today.

All they need to do is release Y0-6 in some sick criterion like packaging or something and I’ll buy t so fast.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

3-5 dont need remakes.

Remastered versions then. Just put all of them on the PS4.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Welp, I put in as much time as I felt I wanted to do with this game, and holy poo poo I can't wait for Kiwami. Almost makes me wanna get a PS4 and binge through the rest of the series. What I thought was gonna be a kinda standard Japanese action-rpg thing turned into a mystical adventure of telling kids not to sell their underpants to creepy dudes and running a cabaret club. I hope the rest of the games in this series are as good.

The rest of the series is just as good for sure.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’ve been using a guide to find all the Substories in Y0 as I’m playing but I think it’s been killing me doing this. Really makes the game a drag and tbh I don’t care to do all the arcade games and stuff for the CP. some stuff I do want to do like Pocket Circuit and all and of course play the arcade games once or twice but that’s it. Maybe I’ll just use a guide for adventure mode if I want to clear out remaining stories.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

KingShiro posted:

I might have to do the bartending in FOTNS with my fightstick (minus the shaking one)

For the stirring and ice one just use a shirt or something to do it.

Edit: Playing through Lost Paradise has gotten me back in the mood to finish Yakuza 0 and finally get into Kiwami and Kiwami 2. While I appreciate LP for what it is, the game does have a low budget feel compared to the Yakuza games. You can tell the team loves the source FotNS material and tbh I'm glad there's a great game that came out of it but Yakuza is their baby and you can just tell how much they love working on those games.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 4, 2019

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

Someone from Kotaku did a live translation of the first three hours of Judgment and it was pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tGmIezms_w

pay attention to 12:37 for a close up at another Kiryu impersonator

Tim Rogers rules.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, I'm further into Lost Paradise now, and my feelings continue to be very mixed. I think I'm finally getting the hang of the combat system, but even so, it feels really clunky. It's too easy most of the time, then when it gets difficult, it doesn't feel like it's for fair reasons - many of the bosses don't telegraph moves or give you any clear strategy for beating them aside from talisman abuse and attrition.

And the rest of the gameplay is a mix of unnecessary grind and very half-baked minigames. On the whole, it feels like the bad parts of Yakuza games magnified without the same level of charm that made it easy to forgive those things.

Bartending, manager Ken and punk baseball are good goofy fun, at least.

I'm on chapter 9 now and I really feel like the side stuff just isn't as good as the stuff Yakuza does. Eden isn't as fun to run around compared to Kamurocho and most of the substories aren't as good to me. I'm not a big fan of driving around in the wasteland, plus as someone else mentioned here Kenshiro isn't as fun a protagonist for the wacky stuff. Kiryu just emotes the wacky better.

That all being said, the main story itself is fun if you enjoy the source material. I'm just pushing through the story and it's not bad for what I paid for the game.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, pretty much the same. That said, even the main story is compromised in two weird ways - one, it's REALLY slowed down. Every time you have a task, it will be interrupted over and over by needless busywork. Sure, this happens in Yakuza sometimes, but here it feels way more egregious because the wasteland is so tedious to drive around and the distractions are never as amusing.

Second, it also gets interrupted over and over by known characters and storylines from the FOTNS, truncated down so much they have no emotional impact at all. Rei is looking for his sister and fights Kenshiro because he thinks he took her! Oh wait, here she is, we found her in a ditch or something, IDK. Remember the story with Misumi, the old man with the seeds that dies to protect them? Well, here he's being accosted by one guy, gets mildly injured, and survives, completely ruining the whole point of the character and plotline. Why even have it there other than "this is a thing people know"?

The plot would have been better if Sega came up entirely with their own characters instead of making this into a semi-reboot clip show version of FOTNS. Does the main plot HAVE to center around Yuria? That was only the first arc in the manga, Ken had plenty of other reasons later to help people. Do Rei, Bat, Lin, Jagi etc. all HAVE to show up? And why do nothing interesting with them if so? For instance, I'd love Bat to tag along with Ken all the time, he was an important foil in the manga, but instead he's relegated to the buggy NPC here. Maybe he could have been the grown-up version of Bat that is training in Hokuto Shinken. But instead... Nothing.

Anyway, I don't HATE the game... I just don't LOVE it like I do with Yakuza. It could have been a lot better. I would absolutely love to see the Yakuza team take on other franchises, but if they do I hope they're less half-baked. From their upcoming games it's clear they just want to keep making Yakuza games, and... Well, that's good too.

At least this game is better than Kens Rage.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Doc M posted:

They're still making Shin Yakuza with the new protagonist, aren't they? Judge Eyes was a separate thing from that as far as I know.

Shin Yakuza is still a thing yes. As far as it being Yakuza 7 straight up though who knows.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDkWKDg7Px8

This is most certainly not real or nothing but it’s funny.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

What the hell is with the skip button blinking between every line of dialogue? I haven't played a Yakuza game in a while but I don't remember it being so incredibly distracting in those games.

I think this is new for this game. I don’t mind it since I read the subs faster than they say them.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

...Goddamnit Judgment. Why tell me that I don't have to hold the button to run, but then make it so I DO have to hold it to wall run in combat? That's incredible confusing and it's taken me like 10 hours to figure out why I could only wall-run like 30% of the time.

Do you mean the wall jump thing? You can just press X to run up a wall and then Yagami will kinda leap on the wall and then a when you do the punch move. It took me a while to get it. There’s no holding.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

Anybody figure out the code for KJ Art's third floor? I want the stuff that's inside lol

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Judgement is the first Yakuza series game that I play using the new engine but I’m really feeling like the combat in this is slower compared to Y0. Not that it’s bad but there definitely is more weight the characters.

Are there any tips to this? I’m guessing the upgrades can help speed it up or something?

Edit: I think where I’m messing up is that I’m expecting Yagami to be just like Kiryu and he doesn’t work like that.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 27, 2019

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So what’s the deal with the ultimate battle pack? Are they one time use items or how do they work?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Question about the friendships in Judgement. Maybe I missed this somewhere but I notice that on the map some of the friendship icons are filled in green. Does that mean that there’s something to do with those people?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Perfect, thanks y’all.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

You only need a confession for whatever girlfriend trophy there is right? I’m not a fan of the first girl being 19 while Yagami is 35. Come on dude lol

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/johntv/status/1167714824349835264?s=21

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Threat levels in Judgement are really annoying but otherwise the game is great. I finally hit chapter 7.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Was Mr. Kim patched to be nicer if you skip the threat level bosses? I remember him being way meaner if you just didn’t do it. Now he’s like “I believe in you, you’ll get them next time” and like way nicer about it lol.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Finished Judgement finally. Hell of a game.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Been putting off Yakuza 6 for so long so I decided to skip my playthroughs of Kiwami 1 and 2 for it. Coming from Judgement the combat in 6 is so jank. I’m not sure if it’s because I haven’t put enough upgrades on Kiryu yet or what but it’s so weird. Also not a fan of heat actions requiring me to go into extreme heat mode as opposed to just letting me do them.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah that’s what I was thinking 6 is the first dragon engine game so it’s fine. Live chat is hilarious.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

I have to think that switching to RPG combat means that there will be a lot less "assaulted by random mooks" incidents

Prepare for Yakuza 7 to have random battles.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

That's a fuckin rough one to go out on

He could play the 3DS version and enjoy it a bit more.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So how exactly does Yakuza Online play?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lots of folks in this thread having these personal problems lately.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Anime_Otaku posted:

I’m guessing that this might not be a big deal to most people in this thread but 0 and the Kiwami games are all going to be on Xbox game pass next year, no release date, just “early” so I’m guessing that end of March at the latest.

Edit: Should I play the Kiwami games first to avoid spoilers or go straight to 0? I suppose the other consideration is does 0 make QoL changes that would be noticeably missing if I played it before Kiwami 1?

This is great and now I don’t have to be stuck on the PS4 anymore. Xbox Stays Winning.

Hoping they get the other games eventually.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1232483669190701057?s=21

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Strange that there's no steam page for them yet, not even to preorder. Guess they hate money

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1354604022846525440

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Which clan creator has the NJPW guys? Is it 6’s cause if so that one is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Here’s the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWCjnYx7Ytc